PDA

View Full Version : Old Game Robots, Mr_clems (3D)

ClementC
01-15-2004, 08:25 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/27946/oldgamerobots_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/27946/oldgamerobots.jpg)

Hello it s my first Thread here :D
I do this image with 3DS Max 6 and final render

welcome comment !

Man
01-15-2004, 10:39 PM
hmm

that's one really cool image man!

i think that the chrome ball doesn't fit in the scene at all; the rocks you made are kinda odd too, they don't look like rocks:shrug: , and the toys are too alike...you should change some colors, something on the model, i don't know....

Schattenman
01-15-2004, 10:54 PM
I like your robots. They look really like these cars made out of tinplate you find on flea markets.

Perhabs the rocks you made are a kind of too perfect, add some noise and/or rounden some of the edges...
But I think I would not have recognised this if "Man" didn't mentioned it.

Best:thumbsup:

TuroAzja
01-15-2004, 11:38 PM
:thumbsup:
Excellent old-fashioned school,
Materials on robots strike amazing :)
Good Job, so further !

macouno
01-16-2004, 01:09 AM
Lol that's cool... I'm amazed.

Maybe the zblur is a bit much, but I'm amazed hehe

vlad74
01-16-2004, 02:44 AM
front page. :applause:

HenningK
01-16-2004, 03:44 AM
Ultra-real. Awesome job.
C&C: The rocks look flat underneath the standing robot. He's clearly standing on what is to him a craggy surface, but it becomes evident underneath his Left foot especially that its just a flat texture.
About the chrome ball... its odd there, but good for scale. Maybe a coin would be better.
love,hen

ClementC
01-16-2004, 01:47 PM
thanks for your comments :)
I will try to make an other pic without the chrome ball but with some gears and screws.

btw this is Mr_robot
http://flatworld.free.fr/IMG/img_clem_b03.jpg

EdHarriss
01-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Great Robots!
I agree with the comments about the ground looking flat because of where/how the robot is standing. I too think that the DOF is a little strong. But I really like the textures on the robots. It really does look like an old toy. I think that some of the 3D rocks need better textures and the rust/bare metal on the back of the robot looks a little too CG, but other than that I think you've create a fine image. Nice work.

thethule
01-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Great robots! Maybe you could use Final Render's displacement mapping to create a really sexy gound? That would work a treat i think and this image is calling for it.

Regards,

Marc

jazzman121
01-16-2004, 03:11 PM
I think its awesome... :) but yea the z blur is kinda not feeling right ... but i love the toy thingy its sweet

BigRanS123
01-16-2004, 03:15 PM
You may need to cut down on some of the reflection. If it is an old toy, there would be dull places on him and some gouges in the finish of the paint.

BigRanS

kevinzheng
01-16-2004, 03:17 PM
The texture is very nice, very realistic light result!

great work!

Joscci
01-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Great image, Mr_Cems.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the image. The textures look excellent, and although on your second image the metal on the robot seems to be a bit reflective, on the composition itself looks like it blends just fine.

The strong DOF works for me. It makes the image look as if you shot it with a macro lens and enhances that "miniature" feeling.

The ground.. I don't know why some members are so nit-picky, :rolleyes: but aside from the low-poly rocks here and there that could have used a little round-ness to them, I think the ground looks great as well -- I wouldn't change a thing.

Overall, pretty-cool image, ma' man! :beer:

Keep'em coming.

Peace!

peanut
01-16-2004, 03:51 PM
thats of heelava well done....

no crits from me

Try to do a tutorial :D with this

The-3D-Data-Labs-Guy
01-16-2004, 04:06 PM
cool work mate! I like it's simplicity.. nicely done!:love:

thethule
01-16-2004, 04:10 PM
We're not being picky Joscci. We all said that it was great work. But we are just giving constructive comments. Doesnt mean he has to do em. Its a great image, but we all have valid opinions on what we would do to improve it. Surely thats the whole point of posting here. :rolleyes:
And i totally agree with you on the DOF. It gives it a macro mode look, which in effect is what it is, so i'd say leave it.

Regards,

Marc

fatboy
01-16-2004, 04:19 PM
amazing job!:bounce: :applause:

easee
01-16-2004, 04:26 PM
:buttrock: GOOD subject!, dla ball gazié:)

AJ
01-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Very very cool robots!

I give you four grinning faces (i'm not allowed five) -> :D :D :D :D

ilasolomon
01-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Alex, You would use MATH, like me: I give him 12x:) + 9x:love: + 3x:beer:

anim8r3d
01-16-2004, 07:00 PM
very nice. I agree with the comments about the rusty parts not being so reflective. Nice piece, though. Kudos!

Irratio
01-16-2004, 07:18 PM
First time I write no critics: I find this just sympathic. Looks like "Marvin's little brotherhood" ;).

Yet the ground is too flat.

neoCore
01-16-2004, 07:32 PM
wow, this is really cool :bowdown:

it is a lot of realism in the picture, possibly because of the hdri, but nice done :) Put up a wireframe so we can se the mesh :thumbsup:

Rhino169
01-16-2004, 09:02 PM
WOW!:drool: :drool:

Very cool work. Nothing bad to say!

Small critique.....the big gravel looks it like cut stone. As if it where cut randomly by a jeweler. Maybe it would work as is with a little more roughness on bump.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Nima-3dman
01-16-2004, 09:36 PM
What should I say?! Nothing, Just coool :thumbsup:

quid
01-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Great little bots! They look very real. Mr. Harriss made a suggestion earlier about the metal where the paint flaked off on the robots' backs and I agree a lot with that. I am not familiar that much with final render, but if you could set it up so you could adjust hdri reflections of the paint and the metal independently and then turn the hdri reflections for the metal down some, it would look even more real... I think.
Instead of the silver ball or the suggested nuts and bolts why not put together a toy ufo/flying saucer for them to hang out by? And put a common children's toy like some marbles or something for scale reference.
But as everyone is saying, really nice job!

cris castro
01-16-2004, 10:04 PM
yes finalrender its great

NeoGSR
01-16-2004, 10:26 PM
I think it looks pretty good...
And this is my opinion... concerning the "rocks" I think everyone is wrong, they arent rocks but small bits of sand.

Looking at it I get a sense of size in that those are toys placed onto the ground. And at that size if you look at sand, all the "rocks" have hard edges. Rocks at a larger scale would be more round and not so hard edged... so I think they look fine, geometry that is.
but then again, if those are bits of sand, those are some really small toys, haha so I could be wrong...

But either way, nice.

finchiswaiting
01-16-2004, 10:35 PM
lol the one that is laying down makes me think of the phrase, ive fallen and i cant get up

Error404
01-16-2004, 10:55 PM
nice materials on the robots :-) But I agree, the ball needs to go :)

JA-forreal
01-16-2004, 11:46 PM
Ah, my favorite type of render, an HDRI GI render. That's a sweet render and texturing job Mr_Clems!

elnady
01-17-2004, 01:44 AM
so real man
the first one need to reduce the dof;)

phoenix
01-17-2004, 05:18 AM
excellent work

JetStrike
01-17-2004, 05:36 AM
Super. No crits here. :applause:

MemoNono
01-17-2004, 06:59 AM
:applause:
hahaha, I love this toy, also nice work

H@dj
01-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Cool!

"Robot Bowling"

BTW excellent work:thumbsup:

dale

Sqwall
01-17-2004, 08:19 AM
Nice and realistic...:bounce:

glintx & glintz
01-17-2004, 08:52 AM
I think it is a very lovely pic :)

but , even the hdri light brings the photoreal feel to the image,I still feel not so good for the effect between textures and lighting .... the oldthings maybe should be looks more rough and more dust . the surface is too smooth and too reflectable.

fotoas
01-17-2004, 09:48 AM
wooooow

nothing to add
colors,..frame,..and this waterprooof material..
fantastic man:bounce:

fotoas

quid
01-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Perhaps you could add some bump mapping to the toys too... especially in the raw metal parts. And I don't see the problem with the depth of field that a lot of people are referring too. I know that I could get near the same level of depth of field blur with my 35 mm camera using a macro lens. I think it looks good at that setting. It tells me that you are photographing something small. Also someone said something about the stones being grains of sand and therefore have hard edges; I’ve taken close ups of sand before and the grains are often rounded too, from the motion of water. If the gravel in the photo was freshly ground and has a high content of silica then it would fracture like the way it’s in the shot, but then again the texture would be a bit different too it would have a “shell” pattern. Look up some pictures of arrow heads on the net, particularly obsidian ones, and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

dilipale
01-17-2004, 10:40 AM
The image is great.

DOF is cool. I agree with the last poster, that's what you'd get with a macro lens. Some of you guys and girls out there should get your hands on some real SLR equipment and play about with different lens an F-stops to see what happens in the real world. If you have, more power to your renders.

I think cg people can be way to picky about stuff some times. Sure its good to strive for better and better results, but sometime it's good to draw a line and move on.

If you want a crome ball in your scene for no reason other than you want one, you keep it there.

I can't modle for toffee! Don't particuarly want to either. As an animator I look at an image from the stand point of does it excite me, would I like to try animating it! With this image I did.

Ok, first post I think, rant over.

Keep up the nice work.

Phil

skyeywei
01-17-2004, 10:40 AM
good modeling !
like it ......;)

p0lym0rph
01-17-2004, 12:11 PM
tres beau boulot, j'aime particulièrement le travail de texture et de rendu, bravo!:applause:

in your sofa
01-17-2004, 01:34 PM
i like the chrome ball personally...the first time that i saw it...i thought that it was the robots space ship, or some time of air/space craft. I really like the pic! Its so robust!!...in a creative Tim Burton kinda way...;)

AC_Shrike
01-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Excellent work, my friend. I wouldn't, however, be contributing much if I didn't relate a few observations here. Let's, start, shall we?

1. Excellent ground, most impressive. The individual grains you modeled are a bit "polygonal" in nature, but sand particals are, indeed, faceted that way. The edges need to be beveled, though, to simulate natural tumbled wear. A lot of work for an insignificant refining of quality. You make the call, but still great work you've done.

2. The robots are looking great, but there's one thing that concerns me. You took great care to create the realistic textures, which are quite outstanding, btw. You diminished the realism of this effect though by the overstated reflection and specularity. The surface is far too glossy, given its weathered nature described by your textures. Perhaps you can create a specularity map based on an edited grayscale image of your color map and plug that into your shader's spec color channel/node/whatever. At the very least adjusting your specularity settings for a duller finish would likely improve things.

3. The chrome sphere does seem out of place to me, as well. Sorry.

Everyone's a critic, eh? Well, I'm inspired by your work and I'll be pleased to see what you have for us next. Please continue now. :buttrock:

VEA
01-17-2004, 05:30 PM
This is simply incredable. Im shocked at the textures. :thumbsup:

ClementC
01-18-2004, 10:59 AM
All your comments are quite clever .

I admit that the chrome sphere seems to have nothing to do here, but I just like it in the composition, I don't know how to turn it into something else.

The Flying saucer toy idea is great, and I'll try to make one as soon as I can, but not immediately.

It is true that the ground is a bit too flat, the gravel is a bit too plastic like, and the DOF is a bit too strong.
I'll also try to reduce reflect values of rusted metal parts.
All these changes are just meant to add value to a picture I'm already happy with.

I ll post a news picture asap .

Thanks to everyone.
:wavey:

Mr_Clems

Lemog
01-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Hi Mr Clem...

Splendid image with my taste.
Very sensitive... more especially as I fell in admiration a few days ago in front of a book on the old sheet toys...

I went to visit your personal site, and I Treasury deficit, I address all my compliments for your achievements to you which have the undeniable advantage to seem to have a heart.

Bon boulot l'ami... bravo ! :applause:

rickramos
01-21-2004, 03:01 PM
God Job, i like design of robots!!

kausss
01-30-2004, 11:19 AM
haha :buttrock: NICE!

ClementC
02-03-2004, 10:05 AM
this is an other version I sent for EXPOSE 2.

http://lopokin.free.fr/gif_images/2oldrobottoys.jpg

Mr_Clems

fraa
02-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Genial, j'adore l'approche !! du photoréalisme rigolo et pas pretentieux !

I found the exposé version more dense in colors & shades ! great great great work :P

DesertKnight23
02-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Great Work, Very photorealistic :bowdown:

DoLeeP
02-12-2004, 11:52 PM
keep up the good work:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.