PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation: Demo Reel

randyb
01-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've just completed my demo reel and am looking for some critiques before I start sending it out. It contains various clips and 2 shorts that I've done: Glory Days - 30 seconds and The Grass is Greener - 1 minute, 45 seconds. The file is 30.4 megs.

Here's the link:

http://www.randybutterfield.com/demobg.mov

randyb
01-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Here's a link to some still images from the demo reel:

http://www.randybutterfield.com/screens.jpg

HenningK
01-16-2004, 04:19 AM
Randy, the drill Sargeant is cool, the boxer's cool, the space-cat is cool... the rest of the stuff shouldn't be on your reel. Grass is Greener had a LOT of animation problems and some story problems too. Since its such a simple render style, people assume you spend your energies on animation. I am puzzled as to why the Seal is on the reel, especially right at that "look-at-this" musical cue. Those two pieces stuck out of an otherwise good reel.
love,hen

randyb
01-16-2004, 05:29 PM
HenningK,

Thank you for the honest feedback. I didn't have nearly as much time on Grass is Greener as I was hoping for. I knew it had a few problems, but I didn't know it had a lot.
Does anyone else think I should scrap the Grass is Greener short and the seal shot? It would make it around 1:10 - 1:20. Is that too short of a reel?

Clockwork
01-16-2004, 10:34 PM
I guess it's kind of obvious that you are going for character animation. The problem that I find, is your animation on some of the characters is good, but the lighting and texturing kind of spoils the experience for me. The seal looks really basic, nothing really "kapow!" if you get my drift. I like the first army animation, it's good - as well as the boxer. The cat and other animations are too quick to get grasp of what you are capable of. I agree about removing the animated short from the end of the reel. Your main goal is to show your animation in different situations. I would try some camera matching, that's always good to have in your "animation" reel. You definately need to expand it.

Good Luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.