PDA

View Full Version : Architecture - House at coast

FluKe73
01-15-2004, 06:14 PM
This is my latest work. I've tried to add the center building to a photograph. But it doesn't seem blend in to the picture. What do you think? Any suggestions?

http://www.flukeworld.com/added_house.jpg

House created in Sketchup
Rendered in 3dsMax
Postproduction in Photoshop

otacon
01-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Well it looks pretty good...but all the other houses have a white trim going around the roof, and gutters, which yours does not have. Add those, along with maybe a lighter blue color for the roof or maybe less saturation and see what happends.

GARA
01-15-2004, 07:26 PM
hm? imo its the blue roof that gives the building uniqness againts the others, ps; making it stand out and feel odd...

maybe? i think maybe if you djusted the colour from blue to earthly?

also? maybe the direction of the lighting of your modelled building? acording to what i can see? the original photohas light coming in from about? 1-2 o'clock...thats looking at the shadows on the photographed buildings...maybe if you used the same direction and slightly less tempreture in your light...

dunno if it would help? just fiddle a little...
nice to see this concept though :wip:

FluKe73
01-16-2004, 06:17 AM
Sounds right to me... The sketch is of a real house but for a different place. I will try to add those white trims and gutters so i will fit in this location. I'll see what i will do with the roof, either make it same color as the others or just tone it down a bit.

The project is a real one, this is a proposal of building a house at this location.

Thanks for your replies.... Any other ideas?

McRage
01-16-2004, 06:35 AM
I think it might be the reflections in the big windows that makes the whole sceene look odd. Maybe if you model the "torches" and put some lightning inside the house on them and then add areflection map on the windows reflecting the outside would do the trick...

Also I agree with the others, desaturate the roof.

Also, You might want to add a little grain or noice to the render to blend in with the same quality as the rest of the picture. This will reduce image quality, but increase 'photo' realism.

Boondock Saint
01-16-2004, 07:20 AM
id say calm down the reflection in the window a whole lot too. possibly add a window or door on the right side of the house like the others mebbe?

FluKe73
01-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Here is finally an update! :-) Im still interessted in comments.

Boondock & McRage:
Actually there isn't any reflection in the windows, it's the interior in the house that you can see. It's distillers (wich actually is a self illuminated texture) so no lamps in the house. Windows has been added to the right side of the house.

Otacon:
I've added the trims and gutters, thanks for the suggestion.

I've also added a few details, like sheet metal under each window, which make a subtle shadow :-)

I also tried to add the orange roof, but since the roof is such a large one, it still looked odd. So i went for the blue roof.

The main sketch is from a costumer and what he liked.

http://www.flukeworld.com/added_house_clean_new.jpg

TheHenk
01-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Yeah!

Now it blends in much better.
The details, trims and gutters and the reflections in the windows did the trick.
I really think that the blue roof suits this building better than
the orange. It takes the scale of the building down a bit. With a lighter color to the roof it would look colossal compared to the smaller houses and you would never get the distillerybuilding approved if you show it to "byggnadsnämnden" :). You made a good chioce there!

Really like it! Job well done!
/TheHenk

Ps. Where in Sweden is this anyway?

Yildiz
01-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by FluKe73
Here is finally an update! :-) Im still interessted in comments.

[http://www.flukeworld.com/added_house_clean_new.jpg

hmmm what is it shining in the windows ...

hmm and the roof you should might make it reflect the grey sky...

--- Ne_Mesis

da_rock21
01-29-2004, 04:21 PM
i think taht the blue roof is a little too vibrant. if you grey that out a little to match the murky tone with the rest of the scene i think that it will improve the overall composition. but good work non the less

otacon
01-29-2004, 07:26 PM
I agree about the roof, but it think all the little additions you added really helped it blend into the picture nicely. Good work!

FluKe73
01-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Hey all :-)

I think i will try to tone down the roof. There is still no reflection in the windows, it's the interior.

The place is where they plan to build it, but they need to get it approved first - so i can't really reveal where and what they will brew in this building.

McRage
01-30-2004, 09:18 AM
I think there is still some problems with the big windows. You say you have no reflections, well that is fine... but with such a light interrior it looks really odd. So my suggestion is that you tone down the blue colour of the interior AND add some reflection to the windows. If you model those distillers and add some interrior lightening to them it will improve a whole lot.

I also like the blue colour of the roof, but agree with others that it is to vibrant. Try and desaturate it (add more grey) and it will blend in a whole lot better.
Some of the smaller houses have blue roofs... try to match them a little better.

The other changes you have made to the building is really good improvements.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.