PDA

View Full Version : robot 3d animation

imscifi
01-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Hey all, I'm starting into the world of animation. I'm currently using Lightwave 3d. Any crits are welcome. Please keep in mind this is my first animated character.

robot scene 1 (http://www.imscifi.com/flash/animation/robotScene1.5.mov)

I know the resolution isn't that great... but I didn't want to make it a huge file... any suggestions for what to use would be helpfull in that area as well.

For the "Veteran Programmers of Lightwave 3D"

I do have some questions as to the Scripting for Lightwave. I tried using some different plugins for having the item (my logo) follow the robots hand when being picked up. None of them seemed to work... I also tried writing some expressions. I tried adding the X,Y, and Z diffences in to the equation... something like ....

[this.Position.X] + Value

it didn't end up working... any comments? I ended up making two masks, one was in the hand and was invisible up to the frame where it picks up the other mask, then they switched visibility. I aligned the two at the point of pickup so as to look continuous... Is there any coding that could replace this? I was a programmer... so I understand the technical... just as an fyi.

oh and that reminds me as well, I also wanted to get the wheels to turn correctly when moving. I got the z axis down... but what about when it turns in a circle... gotta include the x axis... and on top of that the positive and negative values.... Is there a screen position that I can access? or what? I spent a day trying diffent stuff... wasn't successfull, so I stuck with on direction for now... I'd love to know how to make that work though.

Thanks for looking!

:)

Barry

imscifi
01-16-2004, 02:31 AM
by thew way... the "mask" I'm reffering to is the object the robot picks up...it's my current avitar (icon).

toodles!

:)

dez
01-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Hey imscifi,

I'm very fasinated by 3D animations, but i don't have half the skills of what you do so i can't complain about anything in your movie scene. However i would like to let you know that your work is mighty cool. :)

cheers.
dez.

imscifi
01-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Hey Dez, thanks! And my skills aren't that good... but I must admit, I'm happy with it as my first one! But compaired to a lot of other animators out there... I have a hell of a ways to go! :)

I'm currently working on my Alienware contest stuff... so I'll be back to this by next week the latest!

Thanks again Dez!

B.

Ian Jones
01-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Hey, not a bad first char anim. You did really well. I was just wondering though, how does this relate to this particular Flash forum? It would be better off in the Lightwave or Animation forum.

imscifi
01-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey Ian, good point... I guess that's my bad... I noticed that this said... Flash "and" Animation... I thought that to be a bit strange... I'm gonna take this over to the Lightwave forum... sorry bout that....

oh and thanks for the compliment!

For the rest of ya...sorry for putting this in here... was a mistake..

Have a good one!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.