PDA

View Full Version : Rig with one lores and one hires mesh?

CGmonkey
01-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi :wavey:
I've allways wondered how you make one lowres mesh and one highres mesh on a rig.. Anyway who could enlighten me or point me to an article? :)

Thanks ;)

jHromika
01-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Hey CgMonkey :wavey:

More or less the process I follow is...

Rig the medium / hi res model as normal and then make a bunch of cubes or cylinders to roughly fill out the volumes of the hi res model. When those are in place, just parent them to the appropriate joints. Then you can just toggle visibility on the two sets.

Another way would be to duplicate the model, then use Edit Polygons > Extract (uncheck separate poly faces) with the faces selected for say, the upper arm for example. Then when you've extraced all the various pieces, select the model in object mode and go to Edit Polygons > Separate. You could reduce the various pieces then, or depending on the geometry, you could just leave as is after parenting since there won't be any deformations to calculate.

I imagine there are plenty of other ways, but that's what I currently use.

Hope that helps :)

CGmonkey
01-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks alot! ;)
Hehe.. It sounds pretty logical when you say it!

kiaran
01-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Many characters need only to be toggled between their smoothed/unsmoothed state. In cases like these you can simply add a polysmooth to the object AFTER all other deformers (skinning, blenshape etc..) then you can connect the 'divisions' attribute of the polysmooth node to a custom integer attribute you've created on one of your controls. This is quick and easy and works great for most characters.

Parenting low-res shapes to the bones is also great, and sometimes your only option.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.