PDA

View Full Version : CNN:Mr. Xbox says game over

RobertoOrtiz
01-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Quote:
" Ed Fries, the head of Microsoft's games division, has resigned from the company, catching employees and industry observers by surprise.

Fries resignation was announced Tuesday in an e-mail from Robbie Bach, senior vice president of Microsoft Games. In that note to the staff, Bach added that the company was planning no other organizational changes at this time.
"Although we will definitely miss Ed, he leaves Microsoft Games on a solid path with great strategy. Everyone must stay focused and keep moving forward," wrote Bach. "We hope Ed takes this opportunity to sit back, relax and allow himself a moment to enjoy the contributions he has made to the company and the industry."

Fries decision to leave comes as Microsoft prepares to unveil details about the next Xbox console. "

>>link<< (http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/13/technology/fries/index.htm?cnn=yes)

-R

chadtheartist
01-19-2004, 01:47 PM
I didn't know where else to put this, but it looks like a good place here. It's not new news, so don't shoot me if it's already been revealed!

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,61065,00.html

Whatever the details, he said the chip will likely perform much like the IBM PowerPC 970, better known as the G5 used in Apple's Power Macs, when it ships in late 2004 or early 2005. "I think performance will be akin to a G5 today," he said.

---

Microsoft will use the Virtual PC technology it acquired from Connectix last year to provide backward-compatibility with the current generation of Xbox games.

Could this mean that DirectX could be eventually running in OS X too? Interesting.

Beamtracer
01-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
Xbox says game over

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought the news was going to be that Microsoft is axing the Xbox.

I guess MS still has enough cash to keep it going a while longer!

MadDuke
01-19-2004, 03:53 PM
I think if Microsoft puts a lot hardware into the next Xbox and plans the release carefully with a couple of killer games like Halo then I think it could be the number 1 next gen console.

Supervlieg
01-19-2004, 05:42 PM
I think if Sony puts a lot hardware into the next PS3 and plans the release carefully with a couple of killer games like GTA then I think it could be the number 1 next gen console.

Rabid pitbull
01-19-2004, 05:50 PM
flame war on....

MadDuke
01-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by supervlieg
I think if Sony puts a lot hardware into the next PS3 and plans the release carefully with a couple of killer games like GTA then I think it could be the number 1 next gen console.

I agree that Sony could do this same thing. Sony came out a year before Microsoft and that's why they sold the most consoles. The only reason why this is important is because: more consoles sold == more games for that platform.

But you have to admit that it would be pretty interesting if Sony and Microsoft released their next gen consoles at the same time with comparable games and specs.

In the end, I don't really care because if the PS3 comes out with some great games before the next Xbox then I will probably get a PS3 and get the next Xbox later when they have the great games, like the Xbox does now.

Supervlieg
01-19-2004, 06:08 PM
No flame war intended. Its just making a point that whoever comes out first with a real killer app could have a good advantage.

Unless you're nintendo. I somehow feel they are not in the race for the top spot in the next console cycle. Simply because their games are not really aimed at the people buying games nowadays. I'm probably still getting their console though.

Larry_g1s
01-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Unless you're nintendo. I somehow feel they are not in the race for the top spot in the next console cycle. Simply because their games are not really aimed at the people buying games nowadays. I'm probably still getting their console though.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Nintendo is currently #2 in worldwide sales. Currently #2 in the U.S. and in JPN. I'm not bringing this up for console war either (I think that's lame), my point is that Nintendo is wanting to be competative and it seems like they are taking the correct steps in doing so. So don't count them out to fast. :thumbsup:

MadDuke
01-19-2004, 06:32 PM

I agree. I own a GameCube and an Xbox, and I would probably own a PS2 (which I almost did) if GTA3 or Metalgear were never going to be released on the Xbox.

It's all about the games.

chadtheartist
01-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean to start a flame war with this either. I was more interested in the fact that Microsoft and IBM are in the works for the next Xbox.

To me, this could read as the following.

IBM + Microsoft + Nintendo = Cross Platform games, easily ported.

But, it can also mean this:

IBM (PPC) + Microsoft + Nintendo + Apple = More games for Apple platforms!

I guess this is just a pipe dream, but this is really the only beef I have with my Mac. More games, and possibly even DirectX support on a Mac would be huge benefit for us Mac users.

I'm actually quite interested in what technology Nintendo and IBM have. I know they have been working on their next system before the Gamecube came out, so could their new technology somehow fall over into Microsoft's system?

Who here is working on any proposed next gen game? Any insight into a change in architecture for the Xbox/Nintendo/PS3 systems?

Woyman
01-19-2004, 06:55 PM
It is all about the games. That's why I'm really glad that a lot of gaming companies these days are releasing their titles cross platforms simultaneously.

(also not intending to start a flame war) I really don't believe that the GameCube is intended for a younger audience. If you've played games like Metroid Prime or the revamped Resident Evil, which are Game Cube exclusives, you'd understand that those games aren't really intended for the younger crowd.

Nintendo's mentality for the Game Cube was to really enforce the pick up and play, which is the primary reason why I got it. And I think that's why it sells. :D That's and the sweet $99 for a console. :buttrock:

Btw.. I have a PS2, GC and a GBA SP (the best pre-bedtime console ever). :D

Supervlieg
01-19-2004, 07:15 PM
I'd like to see them get the top spot, simply because they always came through in the past. But the last few years it feels like they've kinda lost their edge they had back in the days of the SNES (and to a certain extent the n64, which was home to the best games ever)

They've been trailing the last decade in sales as well as backup by developers and I've yet to see them come up with something that packs as big a punch as say mario 64 or Zelda. The last Mario and Zelda certainly didn't match up to the previous installment. I couldnt stop playing the ocarina of time or Mario 64 but I just couldnt bring myself to finishing either mario Sunshine or The wind waker. While they were good games, they did not have that little extra to make it worthwhile.

The last E3 was quite a disappointment (pacman vs. being their mayor thing) While I'm always excited about a new Mario, Zelda or Metroid, I'm not certain anymore these new games will be must buys as the previous were. And I have a certain fear that the new nintendo product will be something as weird or stupid as the virtual boy. Im hoping it's not, but somehow I dont see them coming with something other than a gameboy advance sp extra or something.

It seems like they've only got their franchises working well. But with each cycle they seem to be lacking.
Where are the games with the more adult edge (And some rehashes of RE dont count) the gamers that grew up with nintendo are expecting now that they all are over twentysomething? Where's nintendo's Gran Turismo killer we've been waiting for? Where's the Metal Gear Solid killer weve been waiting for (again, dont mention the rehash of something we played on the playstation more then six years ago) Where's nintendo's answer to driver or GTA? The one company that gave em the more adult oriented games like Perfect dark and Goldeneye was sold to their competitor. Nintendo could definitaly have benefitted from a perfect dark game as a launch title.

So to make it I guess Nintendo better get on a good foot with developers that can give em these things and they should mind the quality control of their inhouse games.

Sorry for the rant, but I really feel Nintendo should get their act together and kick some ass.

Vladvrz
01-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Competition breeds better games for all.:beer:

Next gen in game will be oh so close to cut scene graphics.But let's hope that gameplay too will benefit from extra power.More options etc,:thumbsup: :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.