PDA

View Full Version : Time it takes to do a character?

SeanW
06-24-2002, 04:54 AM
Ok I started to see this come up in another thread and I didnt want to move it off its subject so here the new one.

I was curious to how long companies expect one to get a main character modeled and textured?

As for UV's how many uvs are you doing per character? I know it varies according to what constraints you have with the mapping. It seems like the better I get the less number of uv's im making. My most recent character which is just a typical huminoid character has about 25 uv's. Just wanted to see what others are doing..

Also it sounds to me that the modeler/texture artists are also the skinners. What all does skinning entail? Does this include doing the bones?

wanzai
06-24-2002, 08:31 AM
Currently it takes me about 3-5 days to finish a character from scratch (concept art provided). I do the modeling, UV, texturing, and skinning. We are using character studio but occasionally additional custom bone or complete max-bones-setup are necessary.

What do you mean by "25 UVs"? My models have usually only one texture map.

Since we don't happen to do a fighting game, the textures are pretty much limited on the PS2.

SeanW
06-24-2002, 10:17 AM
Ah, I ment to say 25 total projections for one map. Thx for the reply, I just want to make sure I'm in the same ball park when it comes to speed to industry professionals.

wanzai
06-24-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by SeanW
I just want to make sure I'm in the same ball park when it comes to speed to industry professionals.

I'd like to know that for myself, too. So what time do you need?

BoBo-the-seal
06-24-2002, 12:43 PM
We have 3 people here on our team that actually do skins and they all model. I think it's becoming harder and harder to specialize in the gaming industry. Just about everyone on our team can do two or more functions.

(I typically work a 10hour day.)
A main characters:
-concept: It takes me roughly a day to do a painted concept. Since I skin my characters as well, this allows me to work up a color comp to go by.
-model: 1 to 1.5 days for the creation of the model.
-UVmap/skin: 30-40 hours (roughly 3-4 days) to unwrap and texture a character.
-Clean up: We are usually given a day at a later time to make tweaks on the model and to do general clean up on the skins.

Secondary characters:
Secondary characters are a similar work schedule but I'm usually given a concept and the skinning time is cut to 20-30 hours (roughly 3 days).

Other:
In our engine we build a base body and then swap out head geometry for variations. It takes me on average a day to model, unwrap, texture, and do a basic physique with no morph targets on a head.

BoBo

wanzai
06-24-2002, 01:05 PM
Maybe I should add that my characters usually have about 1300-2000 tris only. That obviously speeds up UV-unwrap and physique.

The average characters only have basic facial anim function like jaw, eyes via bones. Only important characters get extensive morphtargets, which take about 0.5 to 1 day to model while they also have slightly higher polycount.

On top of that, several additional operations are needed for export-preparations.

spakman
06-25-2002, 04:23 PM
I'll let you know how long it takes just as soon as I finish one. Haven't wrapped one up yet, tho. They tend to get pried from my clenched fists with a healthy dose of thorazine. Or a bat.

Ivars
06-25-2002, 05:55 PM
About a week. Concept, model, UV:s, painting textures. Skinnig depends on how complex the character is. But not more than one day.
But Im rather new to this thing so I guess it will speed up as time goes, and experience grows.

SeanW
06-25-2002, 07:13 PM
Aw spakman I dont wanna hear that type of stuff before I get into the industry.

jmringuet
06-26-2002, 01:51 AM
1 day for a character (model, texture, and skinning/weighting) but our characters are 300 polys and 128x64 for texture size. I prefer to spend 2 days on a character, to polish it but usually we are expected to do it in one day.

I have no idea how many UVs I'm doing for each guy. Probably around 15.

Some of our characters for ingame cinematics are 500 polys and 256x256 textures. Usually it takes 2 days to do all of the above. They look like that:

http://www.jmringuet.com/BR_tao.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.