PDA

View Full Version : Animation - Short Movie : Thanatos

chx
01-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi people,

some monthes ago I posted some pics of a character I decided to name Thanatos. As people told me that time, the character was far from perfection but I answered it was intended for a short movie where he would be very mysterious. The purpose of this short was mainly the ability of creating an envirronment and an ambiance/mood.

that was my end of studies work and my teachers seemed to love it, except for the ending, so here's the short for you people with a re-made ending.

this is a one man work accomplished in 2 monthes between april and june 2003 and 2 days this year to remake the ending. All was done with 3D Studio Max and After Effect.

c&c are more than welcome (textures etc.), please be indulgent on the animation part, I was missing a lot of time and it wasn't my prior objective in this short.

so here's the link, better "save as" it. it's a +/-35meg .mov file

Turn the lights off, and *** high sound on ***,

Thanatos (http://users.skynet.be/bs980612/l-chris_thanatos.mov)

Hope you'll like it

and here are 2 shots of the short :
http://users.skynet.be/bs980612/th_cgtalk_shot1.jpg
http://users.skynet.be/bs980612/th_cgtalk_shot2.jpg

Regards and respect to all of you, I've seen truly mindblowing work by here, big "bravo"

Now i need to find a job :D

:beer:
Thanks for your time
c ya all

MKane
01-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Hello,

Congrats on completing the animation.

Here's what I liked:
1) The environment model and the textures. You gave us this very urban style, decrepid, almost horror-style, basketball court with this dark mysterious hallway.

2) The Mood was excellent, reminiscent of horror genre.

3) The last B&W walk down the tunnel was very suspenseful, well done.

What I didn't like
1) The camera work was shoddy, bad pans (the movement was way to linear and abrupt).

2) I didn't get some of the visual devices you were using...What was all that grain for at the last shot? And it looked like there was no floor under those metal walkways.

3) The character seemed out out place, I didn't understand why he was there.

Overall, not bad. I think you understand the horror genre very well but this short just needs some better camera work and a better plot for your character.

Keep posting!

Shaykai
01-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Can't download it :(

Shaykai

HenningK
01-16-2004, 03:42 AM
Pretty good for mood and suspense, definitely. But, yeah, camera work... is a problem.
Examples: 1) We start high above in a chopper, but then the camera cranes down into the court... why and to bring our attention to what? 2) in the middle of the black and white hall sequence you cut out to the end of the hall to show ALL of Thanatos waiting. You could definitely have chosen a better angle for that. You can see ALL of him! and you know he's just a guy. I think overall you could definitely make Thanatos MORE mysterious and scary by showing less of him. 3) all through the short, cameras start and stop without any easing in and out. It looks computery. 4) the POV hall shot where the good guy is walking. Organic movement especially: ease in and out, and make it a lot more erratic.
love,hen
PS: the titles effect was neat.

chx
01-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the few comment, I admit the animation, and included the camera movements were rushed, i spent too much time on the textures work and i missed a lot of time for the rest, that's why i mentioned this was first a texture and ambiance work, but your comments are really helpful, thanks for that :bowdown:

chx
01-18-2004, 02:32 PM
:cry: so, if anyone watch my short, please keep in mind this is before evrything a texture and ambiance work

respect,
c ya all
chris-x//

karabo
01-19-2004, 01:32 AM
apart from what has already been said, I think that the thing that bothers me immensely about this short is that it feels too much like Splinter Cell. Some of the sound effects and visuals are identical to those in the game. The nightvision sound and the black and white grainy effect are exactly like in Splinter Cell. I don't know if you used the game as inspiration or not but it seems to me like too much of a coincidence.

Woyman
01-19-2004, 05:14 AM
Just finished watching it. It feels a lot like the game Manhunt by Rockstar. But Karabo is right about the Splinter Cell feeling.

This is a good attempt at creating something suspenseful. I think more post editing is required however, make the timing of things snappy. That and the camera work. :) But it's a good start!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.