PDA

View Full Version : sony psp spec Rumours

listen202
01-15-2004, 10:18 AM
New PSP spec to feature 32Mb of RAM

"They've recognised that this is the last hurdle to creating full-strength 3D games on PSP," according to one programmer working on PSP technology. "The system was always nearly as powerful as the PS2, but the lack of RAM was a real worry”K This will make developing games much faster and easier. Sony is really trying to make PSP development as painless as possible."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/34892.html

I hope the battery last's longer then 30 min.....

Balusilustalu
01-15-2004, 02:17 PM
I think the battery is the least of my concerns... I'm more worried about price. I've heard estimates ranging from £200-£300. Not that I would be reluctant to pay that much for it, but the majority of the public might very well be.
History has shown us that very expensive consoles never get to enjoy a very long life.. Anyone remember the Vectrex loosing out on Atari? Or the amazing PC-Engine and the GT handheld version? Which got ignored after the release of the much cheaper (but vastly inferior) Gameboy...

raz-0
01-15-2004, 09:11 PM
well heck, this is the first console like object that I have been excited about. And since the battery is likely going to be an internal rechargable, anyone interested will care how long the battery will last.

Now here's another question, it's minidisc dervied storage media. Will it be based on the new 1gig minidiscs or not?

Geta-Ve
01-16-2004, 12:23 AM
raz: they arnt using normal minidisc, its UMD i think thats like Ultra MiniDisc.... or something like that... but anyways it will probably be more like 2 to 4 gb.... if its gonna be ps2 spec..

Supervlieg
01-16-2004, 08:50 AM
More about the UMD disc can be read on several sites

"A UMD is a 60 millimeter dual layered disk that can store up to 1.8 Gigabytes of data. Transfer rate for the reader unit is 11 Megabits per second, which is twice the transfer rate of a standard DVD system."

Layer01
01-16-2004, 10:55 AM
omg....sweet merciful lord....this thing is going to be baught the second it comes out on the selves (by me that is)... i mean the fact they say "However, it's to be expected that many publishers will seek to make a fast buck off PSP later in its lifespan by directly porting PS2 titles to the system." is cool (not the fast buck part) but the PS2 port part, cause if it can handle a PS2 port then DAMN! thats one ROOTIN TOOTIN SMOKE SHOOTIN little power house......hmmm power :drool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.