PDA

View Full Version : Character: Stone Golem

Ewan Lee
01-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Stone Golem WIP

Finishing up the textures... Any comment would be greatly appreciated... Right now I'm not very satisfied with the textures in general and I am trying different colour schemes.

http://www.geocities.com/wanwoolee/stone_golem.jpg

You can see a Quicktime turnaround here:

http://www.geocities.com/wanwoolee/golem_small.mov

And a full figure:

http://www.geocities.com/wanwoolee/full.jpg

Cheers

Ewan

SammyB
01-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Nice, got a wireframe?

commy
01-15-2004, 12:38 PM
coolies can we see the wires and texture sheet/s pls?

Beaneh
01-15-2004, 01:36 PM
wires, textures, and the rest of the model. Good stuff. I guess you'll post the sheets when they are done ;). Only thing that looks kinda weird right now is how the arm is attached (are they?) to the body, but maybe that's just the perspective..

Miroku
01-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Cool character! His shoulder looks a little twisted though

h2olt
01-15-2004, 07:24 PM
WOW! 8-O

not what i pictured when i read the headline. definately not the typical golem.

Anyway. the only thing i think might improve the look of the texture more is if you cut down on the smooting groups. That way anydetails in the edges will show up more. Also I'd guess (since i haven't seen the texture sheets) that your UV's a a little broken up. the more contiguious your texture, the better your edge detail can be.

this message might not get posted till later cu "i'm still a newbie" on this furum and the moderators have to preview it. Incase you get those sheets posted between when I write this and when it makes it up.

Supervlieg
01-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Cool character. How about a full body shot and a wire?

Nice texturing too. Though you might get that extra by adding some detailing (cracks or whatever) with a contrasting color.

Ewan Lee
01-16-2004, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Anyone knows how to get a good wireframe in Max?

Ewan

Dhin
01-16-2004, 06:05 AM
To get a wireframe render of your model in max without using a material with the wire option checked in the 'shader basic parameters', you need to go into the 'rendering' tab (press y to get your tab panel.) There you will find a button that says preview. It brings up a dialog that has a buch of stuff, what you want to do is:

[list=1]
select 'Custom Range' and set it from 0 to 1 (can't do 0 to 0 it won't work)
set the 'Percent of Output' to a size you want.
select what you want to show in the 'Display in Preview' area, I generally just do geometry.
IMPORTANT! Rendering Level, this is where you set it to display what you want, do Wireframe. (I know really hard to figure out.)
IMPORTANT, DOING THIS IS A MUST! select Custom File Type
Select the Veiwport you want
click create
Now you can save it as a JPG, you will get two jpegs if you set the custom range from 0 to 1, they will be apended with 00x on the end but that is okay. Delete the 000 one and rename the other.
[/list=1]

Lost_in_spajS
01-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Wow really CooL... it somehow Reminds me of a Summons in the Later Finalfantasy Series... very Similar style... keep it up..

Ewan Lee
01-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Lost_in_spajS
Wow really CooL... it somehow Reminds me of a Summons in the Later Finalfantasy Series... very Similar style... keep it up..

Yeah I couldn't figure it out myslef... It seemed familiar... The "horns" (which were supposed to be "stone hair") have the same "flow" of the Bahamut summon in FF7 (and 8 and 9 and 10...)

AdamAtomic
01-16-2004, 09:09 PM
very cool! It looks very professional. The full-bright renders make the colors seem a little extreme, but they look perfect in the shaded render. Don't you love models that don't need bendable joints?!? Woot for robots and golems! Anyways, cool design, great proportions, cool colors, I think it's a real solid job all around. The assymetrical torso is a great touch - good attention to detail!

Woyman
01-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Excellent! It does look like a FF Aeon. I like how the body parts are also "floating", like a force is somehow keeping the golem together. Looks great. But it does seem like some parts of the textures seems generic. Other than that, I can't wait for the next iteration!

Ewan Lee
01-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Woyman
Excellent! It does look like a FF Aeon. I like how the body parts are also "floating", like a force is somehow keeping the golem together. Looks great. But it does seem like some parts of the textures seems generic. Other than that, I can't wait for the next iteration!

You got me there!

From the torso down I just did a quick texture in a couple of hours... I just wanted to know how it would look, anyway I'm not really happy with the gold inserts... I'll post the variations soon.

Thanks for the comments!

It needs more work... I'm just a lazy bastard...

Cheers

Ewan

Woyman
01-17-2004, 10:37 PM
I actually like the gold parts to it. It seems like the golem was made out of stone that contained some gold ore in it. :)

SammyB
01-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Maybe it's a tad bit saturated, but I can't really tell without seeing the flats...

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.