PDA

View Full Version : Snowtrapper, Wiro (3D), (3D)

Wiro
06-24-2002, 01:03 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/897/snowtrapper_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/897/snowtrapper.jpg)

Title: Snowtrapper, Wiro (3D)
Name:
Software: 3ds max, finalRender

A bit of story for those that haven't followed CGChannel; the february CGChannel challenge had the topic Post Apocalypse. I made this character which is supposed to be a trapper / scout for animals and other edibles. When an animal is found, he'll contact the tribe's hunters with flares or rockets. The climate is cold and harsh so very thick clothing is needed. Because the face is totally covered, breathing aparatus is required. The snorkel is in case of avalanches.
Ah whatever, here we go :)
Wiro

Wiro
06-24-2002, 01:05 AM
And since I promised some behind-the-scene stuff in the WIP forum:

I rendered out tons of layers for this;
-one for each light (4) with GI
-skylight with GI
-snow subsurface scattering
-snow "sparkle"
-diffuse reflections (used instead of speculars)
-fog
-blizzard particles
-flare particles
-smoke
-loads of b/w masks

and took them into Photoshop where I comped them using additive (Screen) blends. Most layers took around 2-3h so all in all this was a 20h render. It would have been faster to render all together but any change would require a rerender. In PS I could control the intensity of each layer in realtime.

The snow is displaced and has around 1.6mil polys. I used some subtle subsurface scattering on it as well.

Although specular maps were used, most of the speculars comes from diffuse reflections so the speculars are "real". I needed this to give the cloth a more wet look.

It was all rendered in 3ds max 4.23 and finalRender at 1828x778 pixels (2.35:1) on a dual Athlon 1800+ and 1 GB of RAM.

Wiro

Array
06-24-2002, 01:15 AM
incredible! is there any way we can get a higher rez image? this would make a kickass background :)

dtek8
06-24-2002, 01:18 AM
wicked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

truly great! always loved this one from the time i first saw it in the PA challenge,,and the scene just makes it!

some snow in the foreground between the scout and the camera would look cool,

how do u normally do the smoothing in your models is it with the max mesh smooth??

grrrreat stuff

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

minus
06-24-2002, 01:19 AM
Excellent work... Great feel to it.

MiGa
06-24-2002, 01:28 AM
This is really great! I like the flare.:applause:
miga

ACFred
06-24-2002, 01:43 AM
Wow, nice attention to detail there. That's a pretty slick portfolio piece for sure.

One thing I'd look at though is the light of the smoke cloud emanating from the flare. I could be wrong (ooo, not for the first time) but I think there should be just a bit more interaction with the light of the flare and the edge of smoke facing the flare light.

It's obviously a minor issue.

I'm SO glad you went with the night time scene. It has a lot more dramatic impact.

I can't wait to see what you do next!

OrestesMantra
06-24-2002, 01:46 AM
Very very very cool!Reminds me of a still-suit from "Dune" for some reason.

Joril
06-24-2002, 01:48 AM
Fantastic work, Wiro! And you know it. :thumbsup:
Please upload the big version, because this will fit my desktop just fine. :D

lildragon
06-24-2002, 02:26 AM
Excellent Wiro, you gave me some solid crits and advice on you know what, so here I go..

You already know the whole comp kicks butt, but I'm here wondering about his goggle lights... with such intensity wouldn't they reflect more light on his hands? that whole area should have a nice soft ambience, cause the snow drifts aren't thick enough to obsure his view

THe flare is wild, you really captured the intensity of it on the snow.. awesome, and the lil sparkles on the snow :thumbsup:

other than that it totally kicks a$$ and you did a great job with the smoke :)

cheers bud

Taoizm
06-24-2002, 03:11 AM
Dang, Lil'D beat me to it. Phenominal comp Wiro, but the goggles distract me a bit too much.

And thanks for the heads up at the begnning on how you did it.

Bravo :applause:

Equinoxx
06-24-2002, 07:50 AM
Wiro my man . . . one word . . .

HOLYMOLYBAJEEZ

[is that even a word :surprised]

that said, i agree about the goggle lenzes needing to cast some soft orange lighting on the gloves and the respirator . . . I see there is allready some of that going on, but overdo it just a tad more ;)

It's also lacking some forground stuff going on . . . it kinda looks as if he's surrounded by an arau which keeps alla the storm behind him . . . there should be some evidence of the storm going on in the forground as well, especially on groundlevel . . . some snowparticles being blown around or sommin . . .
you know that i'm nitpicking ofcourse ;)

other than that . . . WHAAHOOOOOOOO excellent piece

psil
06-24-2002, 08:12 AM
Amazing. Such atmosphere. Light, textures, everything- bleak but beautiful.

Werner
06-24-2002, 08:44 AM
Beautiful work Wiro! :applause:

now you can take some time off to UPDATE your website :wip:

Ronski
06-24-2002, 09:14 AM
Great stuff Wiro! Only thing I'd like is some snow in the foreground to give it more depth, looks a tiny bit flat with it just in the background :thumbsup:
Also the smoke on the flare looks a little weird to me, if you look at this pic http://www.footballculture.net/photos/images/fans_crowd4.jpg you see how much the flare lights up the smoke coming off it, something like that would be cool :)

Cheers,
Kieron

budpartytime
06-24-2002, 09:49 AM
they is really fabulous! I do not know how to say... :eek: :eek:

you are my Master jedi of the 3d... :beer:

pabbloz
06-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Congratulations!! This is a really good scene !
I love it too much!
It has a lot of cool details like the clothes, reflect on the weapons, the snow.. all is perfect! :thumbsup:

In my opinion... only the smoke of the flare is very intensive... maybe more "alpha" would be better... :rolleyes:

For the moment this is my new wallpaper and I rated you with 5 stars... Im thinking in create another user to rate again... :D :D

Wiro
06-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Cool! Thanks guys. I see the most obvious crits are concerning the snow, the goggles not casting enough light and the smoke.

I didn't want to obscure him with too much snow but I guess I reduced it TOO much again. I like Lildragons idea of having it drift over the ground only. Consider it done :beer:

The goggles do cast light. It's very subtle because they weren't really meant to be glowing red hot. More like a diffuse glow to them. Well, I see I'll have to fix that, hehe.

And yeah...I hate the smoke!!! I forgot my Freepyro license at work so I had to do it by other means. I'll redo that today as well.

I'm happy you like it otherwise! I wasn't sure how people would react to the nighttime version since almost everyone wanted me to do daytime in the WIP forum, LOL!
I didn't upload the highres pic for two reasons; for people without broadband and because it makes it easier to use for, err, illegit purposes. But then again bah what the hell, I'll upload again tonight :)

Later :D

Wiro

erics75218
06-24-2002, 03:35 PM
Awesome man..GREAT work.

Error323
06-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Yo Wiro,

U always make really cool things!!! :buttrock: Just one question.. :) Why did u change your avator??? I liked the head better that 1 rox :) :) :) (i asume u made it yourself)

:: Error

gaggle
06-24-2002, 08:14 PM
First order of buisness:

/me drools and slobbers all over Wiro - oh, shit, sorry about that man, bad habbit there.

Very nice image.

I'm much looking forward to a day-time image as well..though..hm..then I'll definitely need to figure out how to display two different wallpapers on each of my monitors, there's no way I could justify showing one over the other! :o)
..well maybe a daily cycle between the two could do..

Oh, remember animations..mm..though it seems you might have to work out a post-process able to work more or less automagically .. can't expect you to hand-optimize 500 frames worth, each having 20 odd layers :)

2ndly, I have a question:
Originally posted by Wiro
it makes it easier to use for, err, illegit purposes

:curious:
..No, really, I don't know what you mean..howso illegit?..as in..?..well anyone, please explain, I'm sure it's something simple but I'm not sure how one would do this.. and how one would do this more successfully with a higher-resolution image?.. Is this a linear thing?, the higher resolution the more successful one can utilize said image for illegit purposes? Or is there a limit, a resolution that, once crossed, sees a diminishing effect for the evil wrongdoer?

Carlocki
06-24-2002, 08:19 PM
sorry WIRO but i donìtlike the stand pipe on the mask....

ur trapper is very good anyway

Sebastian
06-24-2002, 08:20 PM
Awesome job!!!!!!!
Looking forward to your next project!

Sebastian.

Eugeny
06-24-2002, 08:46 PM
Great job, i liove the fllare light, but the smoke a beet heavy...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sanctuary
06-24-2002, 09:02 PM
hirez required ... :D (1600x1200)

will look great on my desktop

Wiro
06-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Wheee!

Error323: I changed it because after 300 posts I got the status of know-it-all...and I remembered I had a render that would fit :)

Gaggle: Haha, well the daytime one won't be finished that soon so you'll have time to get bored of the nighttime one ;)

I haven't added any Photoshop touchups (like paintovers) Everything is controlled by layers. All I do is pull the opacity sliders. So in theory I could render out an animation of all these layers and just comp them together similarily in Digital Fusion or something. Of course it'll be a pain to remember what goes where then, hehe.

With illegit purposes I mean that people are able to use the highres images for print. It's happened to me before that one of my images was used on a software package without my aggreement and I know similar things have happened to alot of other people too. I have almost all my renders in at least 1500 resolution but on my site I only display max 1024 because of this.
I'm not really that fussed if it gets stolen because they only dig their own hole, but keeping the res down does limit the trouble. But of course there are only decent people in these forums :D

Carlocki: well, I can't please everyone ;)
Still glad you like it!

I'm fixing those eyes, the snow and the smoke now. When I'm done I'll upload a highres pic.

Wiro

Lomacar
06-24-2002, 10:17 PM
Beautiful stuff Wiro,

I preferred the day scene, but with the flare and the extra work you've put into this one it looks just fine! The flare sparks, cool; the ground snow, awesome; the blowing snow, nice. Ya I guess I agree with the other poster's criticisms. But there's one thing I don't get, that nobody else has mentioned that seems lacking to me.

In comparison to the delicious bumpy snow, his clothing seems very plain and smooth to me. I would expect some largish folding/wrinkling even if this is a thick garment he's wearing. I'm amagining it is like some insulated eskimo type clothing, like a polar bear fleece turned inside-out, or however they do it.

Where his knee sticks out in front, I'd expect some creasing on the side towards the back of the knee. And it looks generally poofy - like he's the michelen man or something. Mainly on that knee.

I just think the guy looks kinda cartoony as a result, in contrast to the realistic environment. Is it because he's an animated character and restricted in some ways? Or am I just on a drug trip or something:surprised

Anyway, I'd like to know what you think about that. And are you really gonna put up a bigger rez. version?! That would be sweeeeet:cool:

Wiro
06-24-2002, 11:45 PM
Lomacar: yeah I did actually keep the cloth smooth for two reasons. The first is that it was enough of a pain in the arse to weight this guy without having to deal with folds as well and secondly he was supposed to look somewhat cartoonish. Maybe I should have stylized the environment more too but I thought the exaggerated colors would do it :)

Anyway, here's the update. The smoke still isn't quite how I want it but without buying a full volumetric, self shadowing plugin some cheats'll have to do. I know it should realisticly be much lighter but I wanted that corner to stay dark compositionwise so just call it artistic license ;)
Added more light to the goggles and snow to the foreground now.

http://www.secondreality.ch/finalrender/snowtrapper_1024.jpg

For those that asked for a hires image I made a link to my site here:

http://www.secondreality.ch/finalrender/snowtrapper_hires.jpg

It's 1600 x 1200 at 300KB. I'm running out of space on my webserver so I'll have to take it down again soon. Have fun with it :D

Wiro

pabbloz
06-24-2002, 11:53 PM
Well... I don't think the cloths need folds...
When I see the pants, the clothes where there are space to add folds, I see the material as "neopreno" (how do you say in english? image = 1000 words (http://www.ekalis.com/Trajes%20de%20Neopreno/images/JA%20F32_jpg.jpg) ). :)

I think the image is just perfect since now... but we now if he adds more things will be better again.
I liked more the daytime... and now... then night version is awesome and really greater than the dayone! so I think there is not wrong things... just different subjectives points of view about perfect.

Good luck on the next update Wiro, I think is really complex work with these scenes! :surprised
I'm impatient to see the new smoke... I think is the most "bad" here :wip:

pabbloz
06-25-2002, 12:04 AM
ouch! Oh sorry guys!! but Wiro posted while I was writing my previous message

Well... I have to write another and at this time!! very late!
:annoyed: :D

1. The new light of the eyes are awesome!
2. I like more the new smoke because is "greener" (more green, you know...), but I think is not enoght alpha... it seems like a nuclear station now.. :D ;)
3. I was going to suggest the snow between the character and the camera but I though it was going to be bad... but guy... you all do it good... cool job! :thumbsup:
4. The hight version is just incredible!!!!

Tim Deneau
06-25-2002, 02:06 AM
Amazing work! :love: Both the character and environment are totally awesome, that's the best looking snow I've ever seen. The goggles look like they're casting the right amount of light.

Equinoxx
06-25-2002, 07:09 AM
that's gonna look sweet on my dualscreen setup bud . . . :)

better now with the snow in the foreground ;)

gaggle
06-25-2002, 07:23 AM
/me involuntarily drools and slobbers even moreso onto Wiro :eek:

I've no cleaned up my desktop to four icons, I just couldn't stand seeing parts of the image cluttered up.

Veerrryy nice.

What's not nice is the whole print-without-your-permission thing :shame:, may fiery death and much stool fall upon those who attempt such an audacious task.

bored alien
06-25-2002, 07:25 AM
Wow, Wiro. Excellent work. It's a brave choice to let all that fine modelling fade into darkness, :) but in my opinion definitely the right one. I must say though, there are a couple of elements of the old night image that I liked that maybe aren't emphasized as much in this one. (Of course all are just my personal opinion.) I guess it comes down to the flare. It's an awesome compositional element, but it draws my eye clear to the left side of the image. One of the things I liked about the old one was the sky and the environment off to the right, which sort of gets lost in comparison to the overpowering flare, and we can't see any of it on the left side so it loses some of the expansiveness it used to have. The result for me is that this feels like a much tighter portrait, and I get less of the sense of his placement in a large and icy world. (not necessarily a bad thing.) Also, somehow, I lose some of the effect of the verycool snow, maybe because I can't see the transition from the distant un-traversed snow to the broken stuff around his feet. Even though it's got the harsh green light, the flare almost makes the image seem warmer and more hospitable than the old one. I also feel like it makes some of the elements like the arm and the gear on his shoulder look a little more cg than they might need to, which sort of distracts from the sort of comic look I like so much in your work. (heh... but I also liked the drawn-in wisps of snow, so I'm probably just crazy.) Anyway, these are really small things, and not so much a crit as another point of view. Of course it's the artist's vision that matters, and the thing about your stuff is that it has that vision to guide and make use of the first-rate modelling and lighting. Just thought I'd chime in. Incredible work! :buttrock:

Cgkoko
06-25-2002, 08:13 AM
:applause: Aaaaaaaaah! Perfect!This is going to be classic!Great job!

erilaz
06-25-2002, 09:58 AM
Wiro, I hardly get any time these days to work on my own 3d projects... but guys like you have certainly inspired me to FIND THE TIME!!

Great work.

Error323
06-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Truelly beatifull m8!!

But another question, how did u make the flare and in what software?? might be asked before but i skimmed it all couldn't find it :)

The sparkless that are comming of the flare are very cool!!! How did u make them???
thnx,

:: Error

Calle
06-25-2002, 11:12 AM
Hi wiro.
How many hours have you spent on this image so far? Or should I say days or weaks? :wip:
Excellent work. I just love the snow. :)

Wiro
06-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Hehe, stop spoiling me folks! :D

Pabbloz: Yeah, I was actually going for a rubbery, neopreno inflated look! Cool you like it. I know the smoke is too heavy but I wanted to darken that corner so it was a tradeoff :shrug:

Rojo, Eq, CGKoko and Gaggle: Stop or I'll blush! You don't want me to blush! :D

Bored Alien: Yeah, it was definately a tradeoff. The blizzard and darkness does make it less vast looking. But I thought I could do that in the daytime pic instead. Thanks for your crit!

Error 323: the sparks and snow were done with a simple spray / wind particle system in Max. I used a very high scene motion blur (which means the particles are subsampled some 50 times) which was the only way to get the curvy streaks. I then added glow in Photoshop by gaussian blurring.

Erilaz and Calle: Hey I don't find much time myself :)
This project lasted on and off ever since the february challenge. Most of the time was spent rigging the bugger. It was a true pain in the butt. I kept on changing between Biped / Physique, Biped / Skin, custom bones / Physique and custom bones / Skin. I must have weighted him some five, six times...booooring work. After that was done the texturing took maybe two weeks. Composition, lighting and rendering another two weeks or so. I have around 2-3h to work on every day, including browsing CGChannel...
When I came nearer the end I also almost did two allnighters...

Judging from your comments it seems like it was worth it :D

Wiro

dtek8
06-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Wiro - the whole snow explorer type thing really captures my imagination!! wicked!!! badly want to see him in a animation,

the improvements really made a big difference looking even better!!! And the hi res image is superb!!!!!!

the very small improvements i think u could make would be,

-snow actually sticking to the character hes in a blizzard right! so some snow would sort of plaster its self in the folds of his suit and around his mask and hood crust its self to the lower legs of the suit(see artic explorer documentaries etc.. the start of empire strikes back 4 reference)

- the snow by his feet looks a little still how about some wispy surface misty snow as the powder is whipped into the air!!

that’s it!!

to me it seems almost perfect!!!

AWESOME!!!

Ohh and really like the way you do the smoothing on your models how do u do it??

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sanciok
06-25-2002, 01:50 PM
One of the best pic i ever seen! Great work WIRO!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup:

Henrik Hörlin
06-25-2002, 05:05 PM
I think this is a obvious contender for Mr. January or Deceber in the CGChannel callendar!

Desktopped!!

Ducati9x
06-25-2002, 05:37 PM
nicely done

your wip def turned out very nice...
the final nuclear winter w green flare is by far the best of your previous iterations.

one thing... have you ever been skiing, and you know how snow sticks itself to your clothes, and then cracks where there are bends or folds in the material?? I should think some of that on your character would situate him moreso in the environment.

other than that... nicely done!!!:scream:
:drool:

impending
06-25-2002, 06:07 PM
Hi Wiro,

Simply superb . . . . Thanks for posting the larger version - it certainly helps in conveying the vastness and potential deadly solitude of the environment, the smaller version doesn't do it justice. As far as improvements, most crits are minor - I'd consider it done :applause: The larger version also helped showing the diffuse light from the goggles which feels appropriate.

You've placed lotsa nice little touches - my favorite being the bloom on the harpoon (?) tip!

Excellent work

jd

Soeren Nielsen
06-25-2002, 06:42 PM
Guess what, the animatrix babe just got replaced.

This shot just have so much atmosphere in it, that I HAD to use it as my new desktop, I love it.

The flare and the snow is so nice, Thumbs up

graphiouz
06-25-2002, 07:49 PM
Love it, very nicely composed, :thumbsup:

what does he see? maybe thats your next project :)

great work wiro.

Lomacar
06-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Ok I get it. I kinda figured it was just me:p Looks fine then I guess, although that stuck-on snow idea that Ducati9x suggested would be cool, but probably not worth the effort.

Thanks for the hi-rez! Hehe, people all over the world have your pic on their desktop now:)

So you could pontenially do an animation of this? That would be nutty!:thumbsup:

sicean
06-25-2002, 10:31 PM
its a beaut.

man, i'm so glad to see you went with the night scene. i got discouraged when i saw how many votes day got. thank god you were stubborn. this is much more dramatic.

:argh! smilies are so cheesy, but i can't stop using em. its a curse:
:buttrock: :bounce: :buttrock: :bounce: :buttrock:

popnGEAR
06-26-2002, 06:41 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

holuh shat

bolbacool
06-26-2002, 07:50 AM
It's simply amazing !
I could watch it hours and hours ;)

Just one thing that disturb me : the piece of weave behind the snowtrapper should have a motion blur because of the wind ...

Wiro, could you show us the different "render layers" you use to achieve your image, because I don't understand very well why you did this. Thanks ...

Wiro
06-26-2002, 10:28 AM
Lomacar: yes I also wanted more snow to cling. I did start doing this on the boots (that you don't see, DUH!) but I thought it just wasn't worth painting textures that would only work in this one pose. I changed the flare from hand to hand, reposed the arms, etc during the composition...that would have required me to paint new textures every time.

bolba: yeah I know, but first of all it would take ages to render moblur with all the GI passes etc and second I thought it might distract too much.

Here's an example of some of the passes I made. I think I had some 20 all in all but here are 5 of them and the combination.
If I now for example wanted the rimlight to be weaker I could just pull the opacity slider in Photoshop back. Or more skylight, I could adjust the curves, etc. It's really MUCH faster than having to rerender the whole shabang again.

Hope that explains it!

Wiro

bolbacool
06-26-2002, 10:55 AM
Ok, thanks wiro.

This technique is indeed great to reduce render time
I'll remember this ;)

thanks again

Dmitry
06-26-2002, 05:29 PM
Wow, well I dont think saying that its amaizing work would make any difference cuz everyone has said it already. Its really great. I wondering if you coul post some wire frames just out of curiosity.
Thanks.!:buttrock:

SPruss
06-26-2002, 06:40 PM
I'm so blown away!
This is not only a great cg piece, it's one of the best cg-images I've seen! ;)

Damn! :D

edaddy
06-26-2002, 08:03 PM
it's gorgeous

pearson
06-26-2002, 09:42 PM
@Wiro - Looks awesome! What is the blending mode for the layers in photoshop?

@all - Anyone know a good tut on how to render layers like this in Maya? Thanks.

Jacko Cohen
06-27-2002, 02:34 AM
there is no way to render layers in Maya (or any app)...
you just render your scene many times. Each time with only one light and 0% ambient (and GI optionally). You then import all the images into one ps document

As for the blending mode - I think Wiro mentioned they're 'Screen' in his first post.

MasterZap
06-27-2002, 05:58 AM
there is no way to render layers in Maya (or any app)...

Well you do have "render elements" in max to get out speculars, diffuses, textures, atmospheres e.t.c. to separate files...

/Z

Cadillacs57
06-27-2002, 06:24 AM
new desktop wallpaper, sorry porsche :p :bowdown: :bowdown:
excelent work, in the desing, is there any need of a killer video card for this kind of results? or the video card just shows you F/X and stuff, and the hardwork is the micro??

hom
06-27-2002, 09:39 AM
Jacko Cohen : Yes maya renders in layers if you want. Goto render Globals, open up Render Layer/Pass control.

Anyway, great work wiro. Keep it up :beer:

- John

Wiro
06-27-2002, 09:43 AM
Yes, the blending mode is Screen, also called Additive in other packages.
You can indeed render out layers automatically in 3ds max 4 but not each light seperately, diffuse raytracing doesn't work, etc so I rendered them out manually: turn on one light at a time. Give everything a black material to render reflections or speculars only.

Cadillacs57: Video cards don't do anything for rendering. They only help for screen updates.

[edit] shut up Hom and get back to work, hehe

Wiro

Joebount
06-27-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Wiro
Cadillacs57: Video cards don't do anything for rendering. They only help for screen updates.

In fact, some of them do : the new p10 accelerate the rendering of raytracing, like the renderdrive system.

BTW : AWESOME PIC :°)

Wiro
06-27-2002, 11:00 AM
Yes true but I was speaking in general terms. Unless the card is made to accelerate renders they won't speed up anything.

The p10 is said to speed up rendering but I suspect you'd need special drivers from the renderer manufactures. I'll stay sceptical for now and update my CPUs instead ;)

Wiro

Joebount
06-27-2002, 11:10 AM
Ok, ok, sorry ;)

Wiro
06-27-2002, 11:27 AM
Hey, don't make me sound like a @#$& now :D

Wiro

JerryB
06-27-2002, 11:30 AM
One thing that occurs to me is that the material of the clothes looks a litte 'plastic', like a model does when it's untextured. Of course, you may have been aiming for plastic like materials ;)

Either way, nice atmospheric piccy :D

fischinger
06-27-2002, 04:09 PM
Hi Wiro,

very very nice piece of artwork.
I wonder how you created the snow surface. Since I work with maya I would like to finde out whats behind the terms of "snow subsurface scattering" and "snow sparkle". Iassume those are some plugins but what exactly are they doing.

Wiro
06-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks JerryB...yeah, like mentioned before the material is sort of balloony and smooth. There's some specular detail on it but too subtle in that lighting.

fischinger: subsurface scattering is true translucency. Light gets scattered inside of an object and emerges again, like when you shine a light through your fingers or indeed snow. It's a feature that's included with finalRender (to a certain extent).

The sparkle is that effect of thousands of small highlights twinkling in snow. I did this with a noise self illumination map that reacts on light and shadow (it's strong in light and weak in shadow). I also added a layer of the same map in the specular slot so it would sparkle extra strong in specular areas.

The drawback is that I haven't really made it *sparkle*...the dots stand still when the camera moves instead of indeed sparkling. All I'd have to do is wire the camera movement to the phase value of the noise but what the hell, it's just a still for now :)

Wiro

fischinger
06-27-2002, 04:32 PM
Thanks Wiro,

according to the sparke plug in, this is something I should be able to copy in maya.
But I still wonder how you build this fluffy snow surface. Is it all modeled by hand or are there easier ways to do it?

Bye Alex

pearson
06-27-2002, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the replies about rendering layers guys, I'll have to experiment with it.

@fischinger - I think Wiro said that he used a displacement map for the snow.

Dave Black
06-27-2002, 06:31 PM
Hey, Wiro, great job, dude...I've been a big fan of yours for years now.

fischinger:
Just saw your post about the snow sparkle affect, thought this might be of use:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/sparkling_snow/sparkling_snow.htm

Could be a tecnique to file away for next time.

Again, Wiro, great job, you're my hero! :D

Neil
06-27-2002, 06:33 PM
The only thing that looks odd/funny to me is the flare flames. It looks like one of those fiber optic wands. hehe
I think it looks weird b/c some sparks look to be curving down and back up, like they are splines (i know they're not though)

In the later image you put some blowing snow in the scene, could you match the flame to blow in the same direction?
THat would look good.

Good work though!

Wiro
06-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Thanks 3DZealot ;)
I hadn't seen that tut from Neil Blevins yet, interesting.

Neil, the sparks actually use the same wind space warp as the snow. The sparks fly in such an erratic pattern because there is turbulence in the wind. Some of them fly forwards, then backwards as well, giving that optic fibre flower look :)
Not entirely realistic but I just liked the look, hehe

Wiro

PedramK
06-27-2002, 07:11 PM
Grand!
You goto make this into a poster, cuz i can already see my wall hugging it!

OZ
06-28-2002, 12:09 AM
.....i......:eek: ......wwh........:surprised .......but..........:insane: ...................* * * * *

phenomorph
07-09-2002, 07:32 PM
Can we get a high-rez version to print and pin up?

SheepFactory
07-17-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by -OZ-
.....i......:eek: ......wwh........:surprised .......but..........:insane: ...................* * * * *

I second that! ,

facial
07-19-2002, 02:30 AM
i think You got success about this image, you expressed your mind on lighting, modeling, compositing ect I love your work very much.......

Cheers, And keep post.

Fred Heys
07-19-2002, 05:30 AM
Nice one..its all there excellent lighting,effects...composition, very good work

Wiro
07-19-2002, 11:27 AM
Yikes, thanks guys. Didn't think this thread would come up again, hehe.
Glad you like the lighting, it's what I mainly paid attention to.

PedramK and Phenomorph: I had requests for posters and Lildragon convinced me to try out Zazzle.
So if you want a postersize print then try this out

http://www.zazzle.com/posters/gallery/product.asp?return%5Furl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ezazzle%2Ecom%2Fposters%2Fgallery%2Fsearch%2Fproduct%5Flist%2Easp%3Ft%3Dwiro%26c%3Dwiro%26d%3Dwiro%26k%3Dwiro%26fc%3Dor%26page%3D1&product%5Fid=70009278

Hope you like it and cheers :)

Wiro

Toeng.com
07-25-2002, 07:23 AM
WHOAAAAAAAAAAAA! that is the most awesome piece I have seen for sometime now.
Very great job with the green flare ...

(PS: if only you would add that to my site :))

pascal_blanche
07-26-2002, 08:04 PM
really great job Wiro!!!!!! :applause:

Julez4001
07-26-2002, 10:13 PM
Kudos Wiro.
Excellent work.
My fridays are compositing study days and this is a great piece of work to get my study charging....

z8er
07-28-2002, 04:38 AM
flippin awesome!!!!!!!!!!
:D

Stupeyfied
09-18-2002, 05:31 AM
I thinks I just shat in my boxers...Holy shit, mate!!! SUPERB!!! I'll be ordering one of those prints for sure!!:drool:

-Stupey

Aeroplane
09-18-2002, 06:09 AM
No doubt.....I like both...kuuuu....:thumbsup:

Jeffo
09-18-2002, 11:16 AM
excellent excellent work man, personally one of my favorite cg shots on the net!!

=) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wiro
09-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Wow, my thread is back :D
Thanks guys! I did promise a daytime shot as well but I've had too many other things I've wanted to finish...like the Above and Beyond challenge model, hehe. Too much, too little time, argh

Will try to get to it some day though!

Wiro

BassoLTD
01-31-2003, 02:36 PM
It's so funny when you get these guys on here, like Wiro, that think they're good. Pfff...when it's guys like us that need to tell them that they're f-in' GREAT!

You rstuff is killer, man. Keep it up. Love your site, too. All around great work! Amazed and inspired I am.

:beer:

~Lawrence:surprised

Geronimo
01-15-2005, 02:32 AM
I saw this image a lot of times, but I newer know who did it....
Just few words. I am doing 3d and 2d art 6 years (mainly games graphic), but after I saw this, I need to learn a lot..just great...really good job...do you have a website or gallery somewhere ?
thanx for inspiration

SpudCrowley
03-15-2005, 04:57 AM
The lighting and the flare look great, not to mention the snow! I believe I saw this a while back in its beginning stages, looked great then and looks better now.

tilite
03-31-2005, 12:45 PM
think its time to change my background ;)

erilaz
03-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Wow, this thread is STILL going? Great to see Wiro's work proliferating!:D

Wiro
03-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Blast from the past :eek:

Thanks for the compliments, folks!
Geronimo, my site is in my sig. Not much new to see there though :(

Cheers!

Wiro

erilaz
03-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Blast from the past :eek:

Thanks for the compliments, folks!
Geronimo, my site is in my sig. Not much new to see there though :(

Cheers!

Wiro

Good to see that site is back up! How's Animal Logic treating you?:D

Wiro
04-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Animal's good! Working on Cartoon Network bumps is great fun, too bad none of it is shown in Oz :)

Yea, I had a long time problem with my host and finally changed. Now I just need to fill it with some new content ;)

Laters!

Wiro

erilaz
04-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Some new tutes wouldn't go astray... i've followed the head and ear tute so many times it's ingrained into my neural patterns!:D

Raul-Reznek
04-07-2005, 06:39 PM
back in the days... :D

remembered bout this one and just wanted to congrat. wiro

so, so beautiful

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Light effects and the wind are something amazing.
I like such an inspired work.:thumbsup:

erilaz
07-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I love how this picture is still getting comments 3 years later! Just shows how much you rock Wiro. You should be proud.:D

IestynRoberts
10-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi Wiro, just like to add that i really love your still, just came across it, and yep, it's now my background. Excellent work, and thanks for the tutorial on your homepage.
Good work!
iest

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2005, 03:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.