PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Getting Better

99X
01-15-2004, 04:34 AM
Hey guys, I just thought I'd post up an animation I did... I downloaded some free rigs off the internet (one from lostpencil.com) and did a little animation with 'em...

you can find the little short here:
My Little Animation (http://www.thegarbagepile.com/maya/fightbuddies3.mov)

Please let me know what you think of the movements and such, I want to get better :) Thanks.

Note: I've updated the link above to reflect my post below

The_Magician
01-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Ok, first thing, dude, he got punched in the nutz.... thats a VERY quick recovery, hehe.

When animating, I always think "I am that guy.. how do I move?"

If I were personally looking at that, I'd make the short guy be a man in his.. late 30's, early 40's... who is always picked on because of his height, and frankly he's had enough.

And this other guy is some uphimself smart-ass.

How did I think of that? Because your short dude's face when he got picked up.
(thats just the way I would have done it. I know I'm not you, I'm just giving an example.)

Always think of what kind of person your characters are. I used to think that this was a load of cods-wallop, untill I started doing it, and now I've never looked back.

As for that nut shot, hahaha! He should have hobbled off. and boy-o-boy can that short man move quick!
Plus the tall guy didn't turn arround very well. think of where his weight would be when turning around like that.

Go get this book: The Animators Survival Kit, by Richard Williams. This book will help you greatly!

Pump out more and show it off!

All the best! :thumbsup:

99X
01-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the insight (and the book recomendation)... Just wait till the next one! :)

GARA
01-15-2004, 12:17 PM
haha funny watching the short :)

hm? the magicians said quite a bit...
however? if you don't wana get that book, i'll send my little 0.2

Theres something a little too static about the lifting of mr shrimp?
he may be small? but the lifting scene makes him feel ultra light?
maybe a little more thrust from the mr yello?

The second part, strangling? nice piece, however? a little more comical would be neat...how about exagirating it a little?
have the head or mr yellow go spinning round an round? with a hugh fist shake by the shrimp?

and finally the nut scene...thats gota hurt? recovery wouldn't be so easy :scream:

are you gona keep it all within one camera shot?

anyway, nice piece, keep it up

Sicco
01-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Nicely done,

Try to get the feeling of weight more !

When blue guy tries to strangle the long one he moves his arms
, what is good. But the neck of the long guy should go with that.

When the lifts the agressive bugger, it costs him energy !

When the bugger falls, he should bounce through his knees
a bit. :bounce: ( watch the smiley )

Also when he runs away you could put in some contra weight.
For example that his legs go fasther then his upper body so
he bends back a littlebit.

Never be lazy when you 're animating, because people will see.

Goodluck in your queeste to your first shortfilm ;)

Sicco

99X
01-15-2004, 04:23 PM
I've updated the animation based on the feedback I got... check it out, I think you'll be pleasantly supprised :)

My Little Animation: Update (http://www.thegarbagepile.com/maya/fightbuddies3.mov)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.