PDA

View Full Version : Character: How to Get Rid of an Instancing Problem

DigitalStarFire
01-15-2004, 12:51 AM
I've got a character with Instanced objects/groups or whatever and I'm curious about two things regarding this.

1) Is it wise or unwise to rig a character with instanced objects or instanced groups (things like buttons, pouches, etc). I can't freeze the transformations on the character group because there are instanced objects within the group and I can't figure out what objects or groups are instanced.

2) How do you figure out what is and is not instanced in your scene? Is there a way to quickly see the relationship between instanced objects and their original shape node or original group or whatever.

So in truth - ... ... ... I'm interested in getting rid of instances. Thanks.

jadamburke
01-15-2004, 09:20 AM
1)

Instances are very bad on objects that need deformers, skinning, etc. So get rid of 'em

2)

I believe instances are known by looking at the hypergraph. Instead of showing a grey block for each object, the hypergraph shows one grey block object with the instanced objects in purple with dashed lines connecting them to the grey block object.

Another way to tell what is instanced is by going into component mode and select an objects vertices. Since instanced object inherit the same shape, selecting one objects vertices will select all instances vertices in the viewports.

To get rid of an instance, one by one select each instance object and duplicate it with "copy" mode instead of instance. Then delete the old instanced object. Don't try and select all instanced objects at once and duplicate, this will duplicate the instance objects creating two sets of instances. (not what you want)

DigitalStarFire
01-15-2004, 04:07 PM
That's it Burke! I KNEW there was a simpler way of doing this and a reason for it! Thanks so much for your help. It has been most appreciated. Pax!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.