PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use LightWave

kurv
01-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Just wanted to ask the folks on CGTalk why they use LightWave…

I personally use LightWave because it is truly a dream of mine to work in this industry…do you think it is a coincidence we have 10 books on LightWave coming out :).

I remember when I first talked to Deuce Bennett in person. He was making a commercial with the Toaster and was using LightWave as well. He went through some things and made it look so easy, I was hooked…

I started playing with LightWave, got THE first copy of Essential LightWave we published and went to work…

So I use LightWave because I feel it has the best modeler on the market and that’s what I want to do day in day out….model.

Anyone else…

Claymation
01-14-2004, 08:23 PM
With me it was features, price, and a whole lota luck.

At the time I had just jumped out of Animation master and got nendo and was having fun modeling in it and realized I really needed a full 3d application. So I started looking at the various software packages from features to price while trying to figure out how to save up money. I narrowed down my choices to max and lightwave. After comparing them I liked that lightwave used text and not obsure buttons. I then got my tax return just as lightave 6.5 had a deal with aura included. The rest is history.

Althougth I later learned max I never regretted going with Lightwave. It is a pleasure to work with.

Jay

Pi3141
01-14-2004, 08:25 PM
I was originally drawn to LW for the modeler, however over time the program has become very very comfortable to use, and I can get models done very very quickly with minimal effort.

Another big draw for me to the application is the userbase, community and support. It's phenomenal, usually.

Rei Ayanami
01-14-2004, 08:30 PM
It was the first real peice of software i ever got (infini d anyone)

That was more pot luck, it was the first i found, however I have kept with it for several years now, and i belive it is because it does kick ass, despite almost everyone saying it doesnt (it does, look at Enterpirse, does that suck?)

Also the community, really nice and welcomeing to new people, ask a question and get 5 answers covering it from different angles.

Remi
01-14-2004, 08:33 PM
I use it for work...:) And play:)

Pi3141
01-14-2004, 08:34 PM
hehe Remi that too. I use it to earn a living and on my days off to relax :) Versitile program huh?

leigh
01-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Because it goes very well with loud opera (or Peter Gabriel) and my over active imagination.

And because I simply cannot model faster in any other program.

Incidentally, having been incorporating a few other programs into my workflow over the last year (because of new jobs), I have found the hardest thing to adjust to in other programs is the fact that the modeler is not seperate from the rendering! I think that is still my favourite thing about LightWave, with regards to workflow. It really helps to keep me focused.

Stone
01-14-2004, 08:50 PM
before lightwave came out for the pc i was using imagine v2 on my amiga. i tried both alladin 4d, reald3d and cinema4d v4 which i used for a while on my trusty amiga4000. meanwhile i was seeing the different lightwave versions getting reviews in the amiga magazines of that time and was really impressed, but never got a chance to try it out.

not till i bought a pc and had been through hell using 3d studio max did i get a chance to try lightwave. it was exactly like i had dreamed it would be. a fabulous modeler, very fast and easy to use, and to me the interface is extremly intuitive and logical.

/stone

Tom Wood
01-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Ummm, because it was 'free' with VT3? Which is somewhat ironic because I ended up buying VT3 for the wrong reasons, and am using both for the right reasons, so maybe stupid luck has a place after all.

Using Maya or Max for what I do, would be like using a pile driver to push a pin, yeah they would work, but the setup time to get there is not worth the effort. Lightwave floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee! :applause:

TW

Ayreon
01-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Because I got a job at a local games company. I had done some work using Max, and was quit happy with the program. The company used Max for modeling, except for this one guy, that created models faster then we could with Max. He gave me a tour of Lightwave and I was hooked in a second. The guy was good, but the program helped a lot. It's so intuitive. Max never appeared on my screen again. (Not saying that Max is a bad program, but Lightwave suites my style more I guess).

Ayreon

aurora
01-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Once upon a time LW was the defacto app for movie/TV CG work. I had spent years writing all my CG work from code starting with cards on DEC PDP111. Which we swore was actually created before fingers and toes. Then Basic - ah thats before QuickBasic, then Pascal and Fortran. Then c/c++ emerged and of course POV. When I finally had a chance to get LW it was a no brainer. Who would pass up the chance to use the best of the best. As for why now. I'm so used to what LW can do its still a no brainer. While I have other apps there is little I can't do faster and usually better in LW.

LiveFlash
01-14-2004, 10:24 PM
I'm very new to using Lightwave, but I'm a user none the less! :cool:

I spend over 2 years reading up and trying different 3D programs, but Lightwave seems to be exactly what I need. I think it had something to do with the low price, speed and the awome books that were availible!

For me, I haven't experienced the joy of creating anything worth talking about yet, but I plan to give it my 101%

3DDave
01-14-2004, 10:28 PM
When I started out in 3D I was using TrueSpace 4, after I saw the first episode of Roughnecks Starship Troopers and found out that Lightwave was used to create it, I was hooked!

Locutus
01-14-2004, 10:28 PM
As a 3dsmax user, I originally learned Lightwave just to get my current job (teaching).However since then I've really come to enjoy using it and since I'm in Lightwave so much it has become my primary 3D app.
In fact, instead of reading a book when I can't fall asleep, I get my laptop and model in Lightwave to relax.

E_Moelzer
01-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Hmm how do I start...
I started using LW back in the days when Seaquest first aired in germany. I was already using 3ds3.0 at the time.
As I have a real fable for submarines I was all hooked. "oooh cool lensflares".
Also I really learned how to mode in LW. In 3ds I was more about working with primitives and the occasional boolean or loft.
I have been using LW since then. The oldest image I still have liing arround here is from 1997, but I think I have been using it longer.
Inbetween I had been working at a Max- only company for a bit more than a year. I was not that bad in Max and ended up being leader of production, but honestly I did never really like it. I actually found myself going back to LW pretty often if things had to be modeled quickly. I was much faster with LW than even those users there, that had been using MAX for many years.
In the end I decided to leave and found my own company and now I am back to using LW only.
I really like LWs workflow and interface. The renderer also (even thoguh it is a bit slow) produces excellent images and has this "instant good looking"- feeling to it...
Still miss the simplicity of LW5.6 now and then, though.
CU
Elmar

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.