PDA

View Full Version : Architecture - finnish style house


ahven
01-14-2004, 05:58 PM
http://www.digitalbeatmusic.com/images/talodemo1lowres.jpg

tell me what do you think of this finnish style of house :)

ahven
01-14-2004, 06:00 PM
close detail:

http://www.digitalbeatmusic.com/images/talodemodetail.jpg

JetroPag
01-14-2004, 09:38 PM
The model looks very good. It's just the environment and lightning that bugs me a bit.

According to shadows, it seems that it's almost sunset, but the light color is wrong. Make it more orange. Also, you should improve your gi. It doesn't look real. Put the skylight multiplier down a little and play with the color. It should be ok then. The environment picture looks somewhat weird too.. It just doesn't fit. The trees look too big or something.

Some comments about the textures...

I think they're "good enough" but You could make them better with so little work that you should really try it. You could make some really nice grass too.

Anyways, I like the picture.

PS. Älä sitten ota tätä loukkauksena. Hieno se on. Oikeesti. :) Hyvä Suomi!

boboroshi
01-15-2004, 12:08 AM
A lot of stretched and poorly tiled textures, as well as low res. The bricks up close look really like a jpg smacked on a plane.

I'd work on dialing in the lighting to match the background as well.

ahven
01-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by JetroPag
The model looks very good. It's just the environment and lightning that bugs me a bit.

According to shadows, it seems that it's almost sunset, but the light color is wrong. Make it more orange. Also, you should improve your gi. It doesn't look real. Put the skylight multiplier down a little and play with the color. It should be ok then. The environment picture looks somewhat weird too.. It just doesn't fit. The trees look too big or something.

Some comments about the textures...

I think they're "good enough" but You could make them better with so little work that you should really try it. You could make some really nice grass too.

Anyways, I like the picture.

PS. Älä sitten ota tätä loukkauksena. Hieno se on. Oikeesti. :) Hyvä Suomi!

Thanks for comments and interesting propositions. I appreciate your contructive feedback very much, yes I try to get the background picture aligned better with the model. It's only a environment background used in max4.
Kiitoksia palautteesta. Sain muuten töitä kun näytin nämä kuvat ;)
:thumbsup:

ahven
01-15-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by boboroshi
A lot of stretched and poorly tiled textures, as well as low res. The bricks up close look really like a jpg smacked on a plane.

I'd work on dialing in the lighting to match the background as well.

thanks for feedback, yes I have to agree the tiles look crappy, perhaps they're too low res and scaled all wrong. The company priority is looking more of the house modelling than other but the realism lacks in bricks. I try to fix it better. :)

GARA
01-15-2004, 11:02 AM
hm?

i dont mean to insult you or anything? more a question?
is it suppose to be a doll house or a realistic classic home?

atmo it looks like a child play house? imo.
its probably like that to me due to the lighting as one has already said...

modelling is nice though :)

ahven
01-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by GARA
hm?

i dont mean to insult you or anything? more a question?
is it suppose to be a doll house or a realistic classic home?

atmo it looks like a child play house? imo.
its probably like that to me due to the lighting as one has already said...

modelling is nice though :)

classic home, yes it certainly looks a child playhouse when I think more :) There's no other buildings to compare perhaps that's why it gives that impression.
Yes the lightning is not that easy to do but practise makes the master ...

boboroshi
01-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Lighting wse you have an overcast day. So i'd work on more of a GI solution with lighting to simulate that.

Looking forward to updates.

ahven
01-21-2004, 12:01 PM
I have some updates but have to upload on the server first ;)

ahven
01-24-2004, 02:42 PM
http://www.digitalbeatmusic.com/talodemo3.jpg

-some lights fixed
-grass texture
-tile textures fixed
-background brightness fixed
-global lightning fixed

boboroshi
01-24-2004, 03:18 PM
ok. Looking a little bit better, but i'm going to get a bit nit picky on the shaders here... See my oh so badly photoshop-circled image:

http://boboroshi.com/images/forum_images/talodemo3a.jpg

Blue: On your foundation, the texture map stretches at six different widths. Concrete doesn't do this. Going left to right, face 2 and face 6 look the best. Play with UVW mapping to get this right.

Red: The bricks stairs. the front looks ok, but the side and top look nothing like brick.

Yellow: you can see the background through the windows, or you have grass on your floor.

Purple: The left edge of the roof should terminate better, similar to the front of the house. At the same time, your ridge would not have a hole on the end, a ridge vent would be a bit more complex. do some searches for one. Also, where the chimney meets the roof there would be what is called "Flashing" - usually copper - that comes up the side of the piece a bit to keep water out.

Pink - where things meet, e.g the foreground grass to the plate, the house to the grass, the brick path to the grass, you need to be very careful.

General - Get rid of the key light. it's coming from the wrong direction right now. Look at the trees. the highlights are on the upper left, as if the sun were behind clouds and behind and above you to the left. Start with no key or use the Maxer/Willi Hammes four omni trick to get the basic GI fake done. Then start matching with the key. It should be a soft spot with low intensity.

Grass: Lookes like painted lime green dirt. I don't knwo what you have at your disposal, but you should look and see what you can find to make this look better.

It's getting there. Keep workin on it! :)

ahven
01-25-2004, 01:53 PM
:)

hi!

your feedback rules! :buttrock:

I could save your jpg which is pointing out the spots, it's so specific and great I can use it to fix the scene even better. :)

Thanks, I really appreciate your help ! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.