PDA

View Full Version : CNN:Nintendo's GameCube gets new life

RobertoOrtiz
01-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Quote:
"The videogame industry received a dose of good news Wednesday when Nintendo Co. Ltd. said holiday sales of its GameCube rose over 70 percent from a year ago, while Sony Corp.'s PS2 sales did not fall as sharply as expected.

A 27 percent rise in software sales for Sony's PlayStation 2 (PS2) console in November and December from a year earlier confirmed that year-end sales were strong, but analysts said the comeback by Nintendo was big news for the industry.

"Nintendo has managed to make a bit of a comeback, which is quite important for them. It was make or break for them this Christmas season and they have pulled it off more or less," said KBC Securities analyst Hiroshi Kamide. "

>>LINK<< (http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/14/technology/ps2_gamecube.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes)

-R

psyop63b
01-14-2004, 03:14 PM
That's good news. The only console I own is a gamecube and it's sad to hear bad news about Nintendo. As long as they can keep attracting 3rd party publishers, and maintain the quality of their exclusive franchises I think Nintendo can make a comeback.

PS3 and XBOX2 will be getting announced in the not too distant future, so I just hope that Nintendo has an answer for that.

bentllama
01-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by psyop63b
PS3 and XBOX2 will be getting announced in the not too distant future, so I just hope that Nintendo has an answer for that.

and if nintendo's new efforts do not include online capabilities I am afraid they will most likely go the way of SEGA in the past...drop hardware and keep putting out good titles.

even nintendo's gba handheld market will be threatened by newcomers soon...

MCronin
01-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
and if nintendo's new efforts do not include online capabilities I am afraid they will most likely go the way of SEGA in the past...drop hardware and keep putting out good titles.

even nintendo's gba handheld market will be threatened by newcomers soon...

Funny you'd make the comparison. Nintendo will go down being last to go online, SEGA went down being first to go online. Anyway I don't think it matters much. What percent of Sony's customers are currently online? I know it's less than 5, probably closer to 3 percent in NA. I don't think Nintendo cares about that 5 percent. They're playing in a different sandbox. I sometimes get the feeling that Nintendo doesn't really care about the market as a whole. They've got their niche and no other company seems to really compete with Nintendo in this respect; Intellectual Property and branding. The Nintendo brand is synonymous with video games and they have perennial franchises that constantly generate revenue unlike any other franchises in games. Look at Pokemon. How many years has it been around? Those games still sell like crazy they are still making cartoons and videos, and the merchandising is everywhere. It's not at the height of it's popularity anymore but that franchise really has some legs considering how fast fads go in and out of favor with kids.

GBA threatened? Not really, the Gameboy dominated handhelds for like a decade with newer and better machines being released... Lynx, Game Gear, TG Express, GameCon, Neo Geo Pocket, Nomad, and whatever else I may have left out. With the installed base GBA has the PSP isn't much of a threat especially considering how expensive PSP is rumored to be. GBA is probably going to own the handheld market until Nintendo releases another handheld, unless the PSP is really really good and really really cheap.

mattregnier
01-14-2004, 07:22 PM
mc-

nicely put, i'm glad someone might finally put a halt to bent and his anti-nintendo campaign :)

staticneuron
01-14-2004, 07:48 PM
I am curious to see how the ps3, xbox2, and psp will look but there is still a part of me that wants nintendo to regain thier greatness. And have an increased amount of quality games.

bentllama
01-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by mattregnier
mc-

nicely put, i'm glad someone might finally put a halt to bent and his anti-nintendo campaign :)

and for the last time to all that think I am anti-nintendo...

SUCK IT.

I am not anti-anything...I am merely pro-logic.
I grew up on Nintendo and play GBA very religiously...I work under the xbox umbrella, so I must have a biased outlook. Untrue. I have an outlook that is not predicated on where my paycheck comes from, rather where the good content and common sense resides...

bentllama
01-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata once again broke cover in the Japanese press recently, giving interviews on Nintendo's current state and its plans for the future in what will be a critical year for the company. Though Nintendo is trailing well behind Sony in overall installed base this generation, the GameCube console bounced back in 2003 thanks to hefty price drops around the world, and 2004 will see the debut of a new product that the game giant seems to have high hopes for.

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1436149,00.asp

Recursive
01-14-2004, 09:39 PM
cool, nice to see that the console with most good content, and thus most sense is getting more and more people interested,

I havto say that the low price was what got me to buy the gc and get back into gaming from a 4 year rest, great that it does the same for more poeple(though I got it for a low price many months before the pricedrop through a special offer in a newly opened store)

DaKrunch
01-14-2004, 09:47 PM
hey all!
long time no see!

well. I personally never owned a console. Just played my friends' ones.
As far as i have seen, even though XBox and PS2 are stronger (in hw speed and capabilities) GameCube's games are just... fun!
in many cases more fun than other consoles, i personally believe.
And fun should be the only reason of success of a gaming console.

:thumbsup: so... this is definitely a good new!

heavyness
01-14-2004, 10:06 PM
gamecube games are FUN! bottom line. [i love all systems, by the way]

while nintendo does run with "out of the pack" and does what it wants, i hope the next system is online, in one way or another. xbox live is crushing PS2online because MS has the money to back it. the way nintendo looks at it, going online wont make them money, and it wouldn't off. hopefully by the time the N5 [next system] comes out, a affordable solution will be found.

just put the entire 8 and 16 bit catalog online to play on the new system. the more games you buy for the new system, the more old games your allowed to play online. other wise, charge 99cents for old games, like a iTunes, but with plumbers and pokemon.

erilaz
01-14-2004, 10:18 PM
It's never about the system. It's about the GAMES. That's why I own as many systems as financially possible. :D

Ariel
01-14-2004, 10:43 PM
I agree that Nintendo have made some very bad decisions in terms of marketing, hardware etc.

But one thing that will be missed if they ever disappear (I think they would still make games just like Sega is doing now), is the quality of their games. Nintendo is one out of a handful of developers that ALWAYS innovates on game design (not graphics, not technology, but pure game design). I see them as the Pixar of console games the only difference is that they don't have a Disney behind them. They dominate in originality, design and good taste... their biggest downfall is that they haven't been able to appeal to more mature audiences with some of their top titles.

Most games out now for PC, Xbox and PS2 are just a copy/paste of old genres but with new characters, weapons, stories, etc...

There are exceptions like Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Final Fantasy, GTA, etc...

Nintendo seems to be one of the very few companies that value game mechanics, interactivity and fun over features and technology.

hmc4me
01-14-2004, 11:00 PM
I only buy nintendos for the banjo games but they don't seem to want to put out a banjo game for the gamecube.
I purchased one about 6 months ago thinking a banjo game would be out soon. I may be mistaken but I don't think they want to make one on the gamecube.
If anyone knows some thing I don't then please fill me in.
Thanks

Neil
01-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Da Krunch
even though XBox and PS2 are stronger (in hw speed and capabilities) GameCube's games are just... fun!

Actually ps3 is weakest of the 3. Xbox > GC > Ps3.

Neil
01-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Roberto give the GC threads a rest. This is like the 10th thread in NEWS toting new sales numbers. I'm not making any opinion on the matter, other than pointing out that it's getting redundant and besides the same people make the same comments in all the Nintendo threads (me included).

And to put this whole GC failed b/c of online arguement to rest, why don't we just get it from the horse's mouth:

-----------
EGM: Our first question: Do you think the GameCube has failed in the United States?

George Harrison: No, I don't think it's failed. I think we've had individual successes with things like Zelda: The Wind Waker and Smash Bros. and others. If there's a shortcoming for us on GameCube, it's not delivering enough consistent breadth and variety of software. That really is the key. Consumers, I think, are past the time when they buy a system just to get one game. We used to believe that was the case.
But, you know, we're happy with the results of the drop to $99, and we think it's going to get the system into a lot more people's hands. We've found that consumers that own the system are buying a lot of software, though, so our issue is really how to attract enough people.
-------------

IN REGARDS TO ONLINE
-------------
EGM: Do you feel that Nintendo's conservative approach to online gaming may put you at a disadvantage when the next generation of systems come along?

George: If we look at the situation as it stands today, we've got about 30 million systems sold between the PS2, Xbox and GameCube, and about a million and a half people have actually bought an online service -- about a million for Sony and half a million for Xbox. So that's about five percent of the hardware install base that spent the money to get involved. Most of those people have yet to spend any money on a monthly or annual basis for a subscription.
This holiday season and the following year will be very telling for online gaming, because consumers' free one-year subscriptions will run out and they'll have to decide -- do I spend, or not? That, or our competitors will have to decide whether to continue giving it away for free. So I don't think that we're missing anything by not being involved. I will say, though, that it certainly has played out the way we thought it would in this generation. The hype may have been more important than the actual substance.
But having said that, we know that consumers continue to be interested in online gaming, and we know that it has to be a component of our next system. We're thinking about how we can fit it in, what kind of partners we would need, and so on.
---------------
(5 GOD DAMN PERCENT! SO LET IT GO)

procoprio
01-15-2004, 12:35 AM
I agree that Nintendo is mainly after the niche market. But they need to include the rest of the market as well. Thats whats hurting them right now. Their hardware has the capability to due some great things, they just need to expand their software library. Even if its just good ports from PS2 games.

AnimBot
01-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by erilaz
It's never about the system. It's about the GAMES. That's why I own as many systems as financially possible. :D

I absolutely 100% agree!

reddevil7nine
01-15-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by hmc4me
I only buy nintendos for the banjo games but they don't seem to want to put out a banjo game for the gamecube.

there will never be a banjo game for the gamecube, nintendo sold RareWare (or didn't renew thier exclusive contract with them) and i believe microsoft bought them up.

rare made Donkey Kong, Banjo, DK Racing, Killer Instinct, perfect dark, goldeneye, jef force gemini, conker, blast corps, bunch more....

however, i think banjo is an original idea from rare so you MAY see that on a gamecube if microsoft allows it, i highly doubt they will though. it will most likely be an exclusive title to xbox.

rare can no longer make dk games, goldeneye, and perfect dark i believe. there are a few more but i can't think of them. basically, any games that nintendo helped make creatively, was nintendo's idea or was already a nintendo product, rare had to give up.

don't quote me on the games, i can't remember exactly what the details were. :shrug:

mattregnier
01-15-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Neil

---------------
(5 GOD DAMN PERCENT! SO LET IT GO)

;)

bentllama
01-15-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by AnimBot
I absolutely 100% agree!

spoken with a kool aid smile! :beer:

email me animbot...lemme know what is up in VV land.. long time no hear...

TheGreenGiant
01-15-2004, 05:55 AM

SUCK IT.

Noicee, its funny how we have people who do hate Nintendo that much. But then again, Ed Fries just quit Microsoft (and that with Seamus gone) means that XBOX is the only console that's in danger of not seeing a second box. For all their chest beating and what not, Microsoft's console has always and will always be the outsider but a Yank invention and all. My Xbox has been high and dry of any decent Japanese games and the western input has been weaksauce.

My Ps2 and Gamecube however have tonnes of titles from both regions I can play (when I have time) and want to play.

in case you guys didn't read, I'd like to reinforce the news that ED FRIES just quit Microsoft and Seamus has been gone for a while now... I think they only have J.Allard left now of the holy XBOX Trio

DOOMED

bentllama
01-15-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by TheGreenGiant
weaksauce.

your post was weaksauce. a figurehead leaving a company does not equal peril.

I do recall Nintendo, Sega and Sony going through some restructuring too this past year...care to comment on that Green Giant?

[xenon gonna rokk yoo]

TheGreenGiant
01-15-2004, 06:12 AM
your post was weaksauce. a figurehead leaving a company does not equal peril.

I do recall Nintendo, Sega and Sony going through some restructuring too this past year...care to comment on that Green Giant?

[xenon gonna rokk yoo]

Sega restructured and is in doldrums. No console and bugger all good games. Their sports titles are getting trounced by EA (especially Madden). Their other titles are mediocre with too many titles releasing on the XBOX to crap sales. Xbox = death. Sonic Heroes is Rubbish. SEGA is irrelevant

Nintendo went all agressive with iwata (and a big announcement of this change) and is back on top (2nd anywayz; you can't beat PS2).

M$ quietly lets 2 of their top 3 Xbox personnels go... whaddaya think. They also spent a bazillion dollars for Grab by the Ghoulies. :scream: :scream: :D DOOMED except for Halo 2 (and Halo).. its only redemption

Sony. Sony can do no wrong with their sales on the PS2. It'd be interesting to see how they fare next gen (especially with the emphaise by Nintendo to NOT let SONY have that huge of a head start), and how their handheld will stack up to the numbers and dominance of the gba

That's all I have to say. M$ is the odd one out.

eirenicon
01-15-2004, 03:47 PM
M$ quietly lets 2 of their top 3 Xbox personnels go... whaddaya think. They also spent a bazillion dollars for Grab by the Ghoulies. :scream: :scream: :D DOOMED except for Halo 2 (and Halo).. its only redemption

Funny you should say "DOOMED". DOOM 3 will be coming out for XBOX, and it's definitely a heavy hitter. XBOX is far from dead, and Microsoft isn't going to drop out of the console market anytime soon. If they think they need to be there, they will be. They can afford to take heavy losses if they think it'll pay off in the future.

And grow up. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20020722l.gif)

Neil
01-15-2004, 08:14 PM
ok, we've often argued over who's #2 and who's #3... well i ran across this today.

Microsoft Claims “Solid” Christmas
In an interview for Reuters, Microsoft Chief Xbox Officer Robbie Bach has said he is unconcerned about rapidly increasing sales of the GameCube, that threaten to put the Xbox into third place in the US.

heavyness
01-15-2004, 10:30 PM
who cares whos first, second, or third. i remember a certain nintendo system getting stomped by Sony, and yet made a little game called The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time [game of the year, and one of the best of all time].

with a 2nd Metroid coming out and maybe some kind of new Mario, the Gamecube is still doing good and will take nintendo to their next system's launch.

Recursive
01-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Neil
ok, we've often argued over who's #2 and who's #3... well i ran across this today.

Microsoft Claims “Solid” Christmas
In an interview for Reuters, Microsoft Chief Xbox Officer Robbie Bach has said he is unconcerned about rapidly increasing sales of the GameCube, that threaten to put the Xbox into third place in the US.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/463/463155p1.html
the cube is #2

Neil
01-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Sweet.

I like this..haha.
"We're at 6.8 million GameCubes sold in the US life-to-date and we sold about 3.17 million of those this year."

They sold HALF just this year alone?! Haha. What a difference a price cut makes. I wish more companies would realize that they could sell 50 $1 pens or 1 $50 pen. (most likely you'd end up selling 100 $1 pens in the end)
Make it reasonable the consumers will support it.

Pikler
01-16-2004, 05:35 AM
You were pretty close reddevil7nine. Microsoft does own Rare now, and you won't be seeing any of their games on the Gamecube. However because the GBA is such a profitable little machine THQ is publishing some Rare developed games on it. Banjo-Kazooie Grunty's Revenge was released on the GBA in September and got pretty good reviews. Some other Rare titles appearing on the GBA sometime this year include Sabre Wulf, Banjo Pilot, and It's Mr. Pants. Any home console games developed by Rare will be appearing on the XBOX exclusively. As far as I know, titles currently in development at Rare for the XBOX include Perfect Dark Zero, Conker: Live & Uncut (updated port of Conker's Bad Fur Day), and Kameo: Elements of Power. Microsoft now owns the rights to Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Conker, Killer Instinct, Blast Corps, and Sabre Wulf. Hope that clears things up.

And for my opinion on this little debate here. I think anyone who thinks Nintendo will go third party in the future and cease the production of consoles is plain ridiculous. Sorry, but it isn't gonna happen :thumbsup:

bentllama
01-16-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by timothyD

And grow up. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20020722l.gif)

thank you.

psyop63b
01-16-2004, 01:32 PM
I don't understand why there's so much contention over which system is better. Don't most hardcore gamers own all three systems anyway?

I kinda wish one was better than the rest, because I refuse to buy all three consoles just to play certain exclusive games (like Final Fantasy X & FF X-2, Halo & Mechassault).

I was almost hired for Rare actually. I would've liked to move to the UK, just to hear people refer to me as a "Yank." :)

Neil
01-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by psyop63b
Don't most hardcore gamers own all three systems anyway?

I kinda wish one was better than the rest, because I refuse to buy all three consoles just to play certain exclusive games

Not really. It's to hard to actually play all the games that come out on all the consols at once. Eventually people get a couple of systems, but by the time you're ready to buy the last one, you're already on the next generation. People like arguing over which is better because it helps validate their purchase :)
If i only hear about how bad PS2 is doing, then i'd be pissed that i didn't buy GC or xbox :)

But no, it doesn't really matter. We just hope everyone is doing well, that way we will keep seeing them in the future. If someone is really hurting, we don't wanna see them close down or anything.
It's kinda like arguing over sports teams, they're all good, but you gotta be loyal to one team.

AnimBot
01-17-2004, 07:41 AM
spoken with a kool aid smile! :beer:

email me animbot...lemme know what is up in VV land.. long time no hear...

Hey bentllama in vv land there's mileston after milestone but I'm sure you are familiar with that:D I'll be sure to drop you a line.

Noicee, its funny how we have people who do hate Nintendo that much. But then again, Ed Fries just quit Microsoft (and that with Seamus gone) means that XBOX is the only console that's in danger of not seeing a second box. For all their chest beating and what not, Microsoft's console has always and will always be the outsider but a Yank invention and all. My Xbox has been high and dry of any decent Japanese games and the western input has been weaksauce.

TheGreenGiant here's the thing Microsoft made it very clear before the system came out that they wanted to have a very strong pressence in games and they have very deep pockets. Keep in mind this is their first time out with a home console it's all a learning process. I'm pretty sure they were not expecting to make a profit off of this system the first time out but rather to establish an install base. Personally I think they are in a great position for an even better console the next time out. They've already established the xbox as viable console to develop for. With such a strong push for online play and the functionality of a hardrive for they've also distinguished themselves from the other consoles. You certainly won't be as competitive without the japanese support so I'm sure they've got something up their sleeves.

TheGreenGiant
01-17-2004, 09:35 AM
TheGreenGiant here's the thing Microsoft made it very clear before the system came out that they wanted to have a very strong pressence in games and they have very deep pockets.

You certainly won't be as competitive without the japanese support so I'm sure they've got something up their sleeves.

came out. The xbox has been out for ages and if sales are an indicator, they will never break into Japan. Price cuts, aggressive bundling didn't work. Japanese developers will always prefer to stick with their own companies (Nintendo/SonY) And M$ has been losing Japanese support left and right. I doubt their sleeves and pockets are that deep; I doubt we'll ever see a SquareEnix game on the XBOX. Even Nintendo gets their titles.

Bent. you work on Halo2 don't you? Bias noted. :thumbsup:

P_T
01-17-2004, 01:13 PM
i played the remake of Biohazard on GC, that was awesome!! loading time was almost unnoticable. if only nintendo has more of those "serious" games, it'll do a lot better in the market.

personally, i don't care much about XBOX. most if not all of its games is available on PC sooner or later anyway and they're usually more suitable for PC.

AnimBot
01-18-2004, 01:33 AM
came out. The xbox has been out for ages and if sales are an indicator, they will never break into Japan. Price cuts, aggressive bundling didn't work. Japanese developers will always prefer to stick with their own companies (Nintendo/SonY) And M$ has been losing Japanese support left and right. I doubt their sleeves and pockets are that deep; I doubt we'll ever see a SquareEnix game on the XBOX. Even Nintendo gets their titles.

So far your posts have been filled with words such as always and never sounds to me that you have a bit of bias yourself. It's certainly possible that they will muster up some japanese support. Japanese developers will not "always prefer to stick with their own companies" They will develop for the system that has a large amount of users. Game development is a business just like any other. If Microsoft decided to provide some major incentives for some larger japanese developers to bring a few games over their way the audience would be receptive and others would follow suit. I'm not saying this is what's going to happen but I can't understand why you woud insist so fervently that this is not going to happen.

bentllama
01-18-2004, 08:14 AM

my only bias is towards making stellar games...and I am doing my best to make Halo 2 an example of that...

TheGreenGiant
01-19-2004, 07:36 AM
So far your posts have been filled with words such as always and never sounds to me that you have a bit of bias yourself. It's certainly possible that they will muster up some japanese support. Japanese developers will not "always prefer to stick with their own companies" They will develop for the system that has a large amount of users. Game development is a business just like any other. If Microsoft decided to provide some major incentives for some larger japanese developers to bring a few games over their way the audience would be receptive and others would follow suit. I'm not saying this is what's going to happen but I can't understand why you woud insist so fervently that this is not going to happen.

I suggest you check out forums.gaming-age.com for all the latest and greatest propoganda about gaming. Big name game journos from EGM,IGN all have accounts there and the discussion there is obviously a lot more game centric / developer centric /sales centric than CGtalk. I wouldn't say I'm not bias against M$ and the xbox. I have a launch box and its in my wardrobe collecting dust.

* THat posting about RARE; GbtG BOMBED big time and is critically panned. As for the rest of Rare's vapourware, Kameo has been delayed end of 2004 (This is current news) and the rest of their titles will probably take ages to surface - these are their 2 announced games; this is Rare we're talking about. The company has proven to be quite the money pit; all the millions of dollars that Microsoft has put into Rare has resulted in one ho-hum game and nothing on the horizon.

I'll stick to my guns and say, chances of M$ picking up Jap developers are VERY slim; slimmer still after the failure of Xbox japanese produced releases both in Japan and the US. US and Europe letting PDO going to hell is a big grevious sin. Let's not say never. :wise: VERY SLIM.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.