PDA

View Full Version : Binding question Rigid Vs.Smooth

Louie
01-14-2004, 02:45 AM
im new to character setup/rigging got two question, whats the difference between rigid and smooth binding and does it matter what surface you use each one on? ie smooth on poly's and rigid on nurbs or vice versa

thanks

jHromika
01-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Rigid bind assigns each vertice to one and only one joint, while smooth bind allows multiple joints to influence the same vertice.

Rigid binds then will usually use extra deformers like flexors to help smooth out some of the more problematic areas such as the shoulders. With a smooth you can usually edit the weight information pretty well (depending on the model) without having to apply a lot of extra deformers.

As far as I know it makes no difference what bind you use on what surface type, it's more or less personal preference. I prefer smooth binding because I can get into the component editor and very accurately tweak my skin weights. Certain cases though you'd be better off using a rigid bind, usually mechanical models, robots especially. Since in a robot each piece is built separately, there's no need for deformations (unless there might be some kind of mesh protecting joints for example) so a rigid bind fits the bill.

Good luck :)

Louie
01-17-2004, 05:49 AM
awesome, thanks for the help

louie

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.