PDA

View Full Version : Hawker Sea Fury, Kiwi123 (3D)

kiwi123
01-13-2004, 08:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/12379/seafury_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/12379/seafury.jpg)

Hi everyone,

Included are three images of the MiG-15 and the Hawker SeaFury that saw action in the Korean war in the fifties. The MiG was flown by the North-Koreans, Russians and Chinese. The SeaFury was flown by the British fleet air arm, from carriers.

The idea was to make a couple of animations with these beauties, recreating a dogfight that happened in the summer of 1952. But it takes so much time I decided to do some still images to finally get some results I can show.
All done in Lightwave, everything is 3d, including the background.

Please let me know what you think !

bigger size:
high res image render 1 (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/12379/seafury.jpg)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/12379/Mig15_seafury2_medium.jpg

high res image render 2 (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/12379/Mig15_seafury2.jpg)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/12379/Mig15_seafury_medium.jpg

high res image render 3 (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/12379/Mig15_seafury.jpg)

The small images in this post really don't show them like they should be. So by all means, view the big ones.

Greets,

kevin1987
01-13-2004, 09:02 PM
nice work! :beer: :drool: One suggestion... on the third picture, you should blur the jet to make it look like its passing the slower one. (doing too many things at once, can't remember what kind it is) great job! :buttrock:

Kevin

kiwi123
01-14-2004, 06:45 AM
Thanks Kevin ! :thumbsup:
I was actually thinking of making it look like the mig is on on fire on the third picture. But I'm not too sure. It's definately lacking something. I'll try your suggestion.

jasonbowers
01-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Hey there,

Cool renders. I especially like the last one of the three. I like the painterly feel and the warm colours.

Nice job dude!

a.

Sir James
01-14-2004, 08:55 AM
very nice wiek. :eek: this should be on the front page

CAClark
01-14-2004, 09:02 AM
:beer:

Very cool mate, no harm in telling you AGAIN :D I just love the textures on the Sea Fury.

Cheers!

kicit
01-14-2004, 09:40 AM
:p :applause: it is like pearl harbour flight in the scene, good.... may be can try others model ship, or may be u can try do some fantasy flying ship using this kind of texture and concept.:thumbsup:

kiwi123
01-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Hi Kicit,

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, do you want the aircraft flying over water with boats in the background ?

Maybe i'll do a render with a fury coming in on the deck of an aircraft carrier, but that'll take a while. :D

Gamoron
01-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Man I think these are abosolutely gorgeous. Nice subtle colouring. In the third is the sea fury pilot watching the MiG-15?
:beer: ! :applause:

You better not hold out on us. DO THE ANIMATION!

Actually one crit. Maybe you could fade out or shake up the background aircraft in the 1st and 3rd. They look a little too crisp.
I dunno... I'll shut up now.

skyeywei
01-15-2004, 07:12 PM
wooo good work !
I like it :)

:beer:

mushroomgod
01-15-2004, 07:15 PM
outstanding!:thumbsup:

softdistortion
01-15-2004, 07:21 PM
The MIG pilot's ears are just a tad too big, maybe pull a few polys to tweak it :p ......Yeah right....

Don't change nothin, it's stunning as it is:thumbsup:

Mwai Kasamale
01-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Is that OGO or HV, either way Its phenomenal work. I just wondered what the render time was. If it is OGO congrats, its good to see it being used to great effect.

swampthing
01-15-2004, 07:42 PM
The sea fury is one of my favorite WW2 era planes and you've done a great job on it. The textures are awesome.

Only one crit. In the 2nd picture the right wing on the fury has a spot that is VERY VERY reflective, almost like a carp paint finish that really sticks out from the rest.

Orkman
01-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Ah dude those are beautiful. Any tutes in the future from you, on building aircraft and lighting them like that? Or know of some good sites that do? Amazing in the detail.

Awesome! :buttrock: :bowdown:

MrBloggs
01-15-2004, 07:55 PM
kiwi123 - theses are really nice images. The texturing, modeling and lighting looks awesome. Well done.

AndrewE
01-15-2004, 08:08 PM
WOO HOO! GO BRITS!

Great job mate!!

...yup, that's my 2 cents

thx1138
01-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Very nice work !!! :thumbsup:

I just saw these over at lwg3d.com and was going to comment you should put 'em over here. Guess you beat me ;)
Then again. You should send them in for Expose 2. We need more Dutch people in there :)
I've been doing cars for too long now. Perhaps planes is what I'll do next.
-Grtz

Bliz
01-15-2004, 08:58 PM
:cry: BooHoo! I can't see any of the images...

...and the front page plug image looks so enticing.

Garma
01-15-2004, 09:08 PM
excellent dude!

:thumbsup:

Kel Solaar
01-15-2004, 09:18 PM
Excellent Work! I love planes and you did a great job!

Bliz
01-15-2004, 09:23 PM
ok the pics are working for me now.

I like them a lot. Especially the SeaFury

One crit. I have is that in the first picture the motion blur is setup wrong (maybe?)

The Mig is either going v.e.r.y slowly or the SeaFury is thrusting upwards (relative to itself) at high speed which obviously doesn't make sense.
I think the SeaFury or the Mig should be motion blurred. I don't think both can stay un-blurred in the situation you have them in.

Supervlieg
01-15-2004, 09:27 PM
I saw these on the post your plane thread. Great job!

Omita
01-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Looks good but the Sea Fury wing in pict 2 is too reflective. Unless the wing is wet it shouldn't be that shiny IMO.

But over all it looks great.

-Omita

LordDubu
01-15-2004, 10:52 PM
These look great. They remind me of these prints at the Air Command Staff College at Maxwell AFB in Alabama. The halls are lined with them, and the graduating class gets a commemorative one with the aircraft of that years adjunct gueast speaker's respective aircraft.

Seeing these really reminds me of visiting the school after hours with my Dad (who was attending not me :)

oxyg3n
01-16-2004, 12:21 AM
I like your planes, sure would like to see one of them shooting at the others! Cant wait to see an animaiton.

Omita
01-16-2004, 12:33 AM
Show your wires.

Heber G Conde
01-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Incredile sence of speed, man!
Really beautfull photography too!
Congrats!

Heber Conde

woodhurst
01-16-2004, 01:47 AM
that second render is incredible---lighting is perfect.

gathering
01-16-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by kevin1987
nice work! :beer: :drool: One suggestion... on the third picture, you should blur the jet to make it look like its passing the slower one. (doing too many things at once, can't remember what kind it is) great job! :buttrock:

Kevin

If the camera follows the mig (mathing it's speed) the sea thingy should be blurred more...so I guess no problem with it.

Cool images! Can't wait for the animation.

danielkenobi
01-16-2004, 06:30 AM
Great work. You say the back ground is 3d. Can you show us a non blured render of the entire bkground? Just to have an idea Of how you make it.

Jonas8200
01-16-2004, 07:18 AM
A crit upon jemand zu tritten

The third images' distant plane looks a little off

Since it seems like you're not dealing with any kind of reflection, perhaps make the specularity of it more varied with scrapes, wear and stuff. Its just too clean and maybe a little flat. Out of all of them, that's the least photogenic plane, in my opinion.

Otherwise, excellent job.. I get afraid of heights when I look at them at first glance!!!

Keep scaring me
Jonas

gf666
01-16-2004, 07:27 AM
yes very cool stuff indeed!!!

pete.cook
01-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Fantastic. Really does look like high quality prints that you can buy from an art shop. As for things like bluring the jet, imho it doesn't need it. The pictures are fine as they are.

T Bomb
01-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Awesome work man.... just 1 thing. In picture number 2, the wing is reflective and alot of those old WW2 planes... if they weren't chrome didn't reflect a whole hell of a lot LOL. Maybe just easy the reflectiveness down a bit cause usually it was just matte paint on the planes. Thats my only crit... Nice JOB! :thumbsup:

john_chen
01-16-2004, 09:09 AM
nice work!

phoenix
01-16-2004, 09:45 AM
very informative...

MasonDoran
01-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Sea Furies served extensively in the Korean War, operating from Royal Navy carriers HMS Glory, HMS Ocean and HMS Theseus, and Australian carrier HMAS Sydney. They usually paired with Fairey Fireflies for ground attack missions. The Sea Fury excelled in this role, often proving superior to the enemy’s modern jets. For example, on August 9, 1952, Royal Navy Lieutenant “Hoagy” Carmichael, flying a Sea Fury of HMS Ocean’s 802 Squadron, shot down a Soviet-built North Korean Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG 15, marking the first such kill by a piston-engined fighter, and the only air-to-air kill by a British pilot flying a British aircraft in the Korean War.

http://www.war-eagles-air-museum.com/hawker_1.html

kiwi123
01-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by T Bomb
Maybe just easy the reflectiveness down a bit cause usually it was just matte paint on the planes. Thats my only crit... Nice JOB! :thumbsup:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the response ! :eek: :eek:

I guess the reflectiveness of the wings is a topic a lot of people have problems with. As you can see on the link 2byts posted above (thanks for that), the surface is actually very reflective at an angle. As far as I know, the SeaFurys were actually painted gloss, not matt. Don't know why they did it at the time, maybe it was better protection against salt water corrosion, maybe because the polished paint made them a bit quicker. :)

Skyraider3D
01-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Hey Wiek!

Wow man, I didn't know you've posted these in a seperate thread! Excellent stuff, but I already told you that :)
Plug wel deserved!

Btw, gloss paint indeed is lasts longer than matt paint. That's why most surviving flying warbirds are painted in gloss paint.

Top stuff! :thumbsup:

Ronnie

TFarrar
09-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Great modeling and very nice renders....

Innovati
09-29-2004, 01:29 AM
Great model and render, but I noticed your plane had the D-day stripes on it.

I don't know if you know about it or not, but I'll sat it anyway.

The night before D-Day, the allied troops decided that they would put zebra stripes on all the allied planes, that way they would not have to worry about who was ally, and who was enemy.

So, in 10 hours, they painted all the allied planes. Then, the next day, the allied troops shot down everything in the sky that didn't have those stripes on it.

Now, my critiscism isn't about the 3D, but rather the historical accuracy. Would the planes have still borne the stripes that long after D-day?

kiwi123
09-29-2004, 05:38 AM
Now, my critiscism isn't about the 3D, but rather the historical accuracy. Would the planes have still borne the stripes that long after D-day?
Well, they apparently used the same stripes in Korea. This aircraft didn't even fly during the second world war.

http://rfkcumulus.com/sea%20fury%20d%20sm.jpg

Skyraider3D
09-29-2004, 08:22 AM
Just to help clearing this up, stripes were used on multiple occasions. Because of the historical importance on D-Day, only "D-Day stripes" are remembered by the general public.

On 19 August 1942 an attack was made on the Belgian coast at Dieppe (the Dieppe Raid) and stripes were applied to the Allied aircraft. The stripes were mostly applied to the nose, though, and Dieppe Raid wasn't very succesful...

Then on D-Day again stripes were used, which became famous thanks to the success of D-Day and following events. D-Day stripes were indeed gradually removed as the war progressed.

Then during the Korean war the black&white stripes were used again on British Navy aircraft, to prevent them from being shot down by trigger happy American forces that were not familiar with these machines and could mistakenly identify them as Korean.

In 1956 again stripes were used by the French and British during the brief conflict in Suez. These stripes were black and yellow, however, but pretty much of the same principle.

Many other air forces have used stripes at some point in their history. Examples are the theatre bands and defence-of-the-Reich bands on Luftwaffe aircraft, neutrality stripes on Swiss a/c during WW2, red&yellow stripes adorned the tail and noses of Vichy French aircraft, and so on...

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.