PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 5: H2olt: Earthworm Jim

h2olt
01-13-2004, 09:04 PM
I just finished sketching up my character design for Earthworm Jim

It's a little darker character than he was before. This is jim after years of fighting and protecting his girl, I even figured out the dynamics of making it into a new 3rd person shooter. plays kinda like halo.

anyway. i gotta scan and upload the drawings but i wanted to stake my claim to the worm.

h2olt
01-14-2004, 06:55 PM
ok, i picked jim before i noticed that two other people way down on the thread have already picked him i hope no one minds. I'll be finishing this model either way, but i'd like to be able to include it in the competition.

anyway, here are those sketches i was talking about.
http://h2olt.freeservers.com/Images/EW%20JimWeb.jpg

bigbad
01-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Looooking sweet.

Beaneh
01-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Yeahh!! good stuff, not just the plain original concept! Hope you'll start the modelling soon.

h2olt
01-15-2004, 06:21 AM
ok, here's what i've got after sitting down and modeling for about 3 hours.

what do you think so far?

http://h2olt.freeservers.com/Images/Jim3hrs.jpg

Beaneh
01-15-2004, 01:56 PM
great modelling, very stylish like the concept. Only thing I would change some far is the feet, maybe a bit smaller and less flat.

max0l
01-15-2004, 02:36 PM
hi nice entry you got there.
But drop the boots, go for something more sleek.
Goodluck

commy
01-15-2004, 03:25 PM
and people say my backs are too curvy lol nice stuff

Supervlieg
01-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Yeah I like the mean look of the worm. The boots are over the top though. The rest of the body it cool but needs more detail obviously.

h2olt
01-15-2004, 07:06 PM
I had to stop playing with the boots (spent about 45 mins alone there) to finish getting the main form in in the few hours I had to work. think of the boots as they are as a bounding box of the feet. i'll be rounding and detailing them more, and they'll propbably seem smaller from that alone, but i might need to make it a bit smaler i suppose. we'll see.

commy-
thx man. usually my models are way too stiff. this time I was trying to make it as curvy as plausable. I'm glad you approve.

m_luscombe
01-16-2004, 05:48 AM
Well, he doesn't have a backbone, so that fits =)

I don't mind the size of the boots, but like you said, they could be rounder.

Matt
01-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by m_luscombe
Well, he doesn't have a backbone, so that fits =)

I don't mind the size of the boots, but like you said, they could be rounder.

Remember, Earthworm Jim's body is a robot, he's really a worm inside it operating it. In the game he falls out at certain times.

h2olt
01-16-2004, 09:07 PM
thanks for all the responses.

I haven't had another chance to play with jim since the other night, but I appreciate all the crits about the form

I'll be leaving the posture the same, but I'll be adjusting the proportion of the feet a bit. but right now they're symetrical extruded lines, and I think changing the shape will be more benefitial that adjusting the size (too much)

I'm still trying out different ideas for the color scheme, and I'd appreciate and advice ( I was planning on a grittier scheme closer to Q3 and UT than to any precious Jims)

AdamAtomic
01-16-2004, 09:18 PM
wicked - I really like this one! Jim's expression is great - any change of giving him the classic one-enormous-eyeball? I think it'd rock...a Q3/UT-style scheme would definitely be cool, and in the spirit of the comp. Honestly, I might even expand his torso a little bit - you've got a great stylish groove going already, don't be afraid to play with it! Can't wait to see this one...any chance you'll post the wires? I know it's not allowed for the contest, but I would get a kick out of getting a chance to skin the fella! Keep it up!

feeesh
01-16-2004, 09:54 PM
aww man, great pick and a good loking model so far. I love Earthworm Jim. Wish I'd thought of it first, :-)

-Jason

h2olt
01-20-2004, 09:29 PM
http://h2olt.freeservers.com/Images/Jim8hrs.jpg

AdamAtomic
01-20-2004, 09:48 PM
!!! oh hell yes! Look at that sweet eyeball! Hella good progress so far! Are you sure you don't want to include the hands in the arm mesh, or will making the joint able to animate take up too many polys?

Also, will you be redesigning and modeling his trusty blaster? Great work man!

kotter
01-20-2004, 10:16 PM
that's an awesome update!!
would you mind sharing some wires?

Prs-Phil
01-20-2004, 11:02 PM
smashing man, really good modeling

The only thing I have to crit is his position. I know it is very stylized but I think its just that bit to stylized

feeesh
01-20-2004, 11:12 PM
I would have to disagree myself. Mostly because isn't that the position he was always in in shots from the original game? Maybe not, but that's what I was thinkin'.....

-Jason

h2olt
01-21-2004, 12:15 AM
he was kinda posed opposite to that in the original game

bent over and tensed for action. this is an older tougher more casual jim. He's so smooth you don't want to mess with this guy.

I'm thinking of putting a big scar over the small eye what do you guys think.

It'd give more of a reason for the one squinty eye.

h2olt
01-21-2004, 02:48 AM
Here's the scar for the eye. I'l put more detail in later to make it look more ragged once i'm closer to finishing

http://h2olt.freeservers.com/Images/JimScarface.jpg

and here's a quick brazil render

http://h2olt.freeservers.com/Images/JimStatue.jpg

And yes. i am planning on modeling the blaster and an assault rifle type weapon strapped to his back, but i can't think of what to do for the blaster design.

If anyone knows of any good futuristic gun drawings on the web let me know where to find them.

bentllama
01-21-2004, 07:10 AM
one of my fav all time characters and a geat vision and remake...

AdamAtomic
01-21-2004, 11:09 PM
well put! And that scar definitely fits in with your older, experienced Jim. I'm not much help for the futuristic weapons design - I think most of the good sci-fi weapons that are around on the 'net are from recent games - Unreal, Halo, etc. There should be concept art on those respective games' websites if you want a nudge in the futuristic direction. There are a couple sites dedicated to the Starship Troopers and Aliens rifles as well, those are pretty classic. Anyways, can't wait to see this guy finished!

h2olt
01-22-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks AdamAtom The larger guns from starship troopers are sort of what i'm thinking of, but i'm gonna try to stay a little toward the original jim style.

h2olt
01-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Here's where i'm at right now. no smoothing groups on anything yet, but trust me it'll look smoother

I'm at about 3200 polys right now.

Let me know your reactions to the gun (still not really satisfied with it myself)

http://h2olt.freeservers.com/Images/JimL8R.jpg
http://h2olt.freeservers.com/Images/blast%2Br.jpg
http://h2olt.freeservers.com/Images/blast%2Bl.jpg

h2olt
01-26-2004, 10:04 PM
c'mon guys what do you think of the gun redesign?

I'm already unsure enough about it as is. let me know what you think.

feeesh
01-26-2004, 10:15 PM
The Gun Redesign blows man, sorry! LOL! Naw just kidding! I actually think it's really cool. I remember you had asked for ideas and I was gonna try to do a sketch of an idea I had im my head but didn't end up having time to get to it. But the Idea I had was big short and fat like this one but rounder and a little more cartoony. This idea is along the same lines but way better. Go with it, i think it's really cool and fits him perfectly!

-Jason

h2olt
01-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Thanks man. i still have one more gun (kinda assault rifle style) if you still wanna lend a design hand.

It'd be strapped to his back most of the time, because he still favors his blaster. But I'm talking heavy machine gun style to handle the biggest baddies.

AdamAtomic
01-27-2004, 07:01 AM
Cool! I like the blaster redesign, and I think you're headed in the exact right direction - I'm glad to see that you're favoring the original style and designs while you make the weapons - it suits him much better than just slapping Robocop's pistol in his hand and being done with it. The proportions of the blaster itself fit in well with your character model too.

If you take your run-of-the-mill UT/Starship troopers rifle and round it off a bit, and then exaggerate the proportions to fit in with the blaster and Jim himself, that'd look great!

gaggle
01-27-2004, 08:34 AM
The gun looks terrific in the front-parts. I think it looses a bit of ground in the rear though. It's just the lack of details that turns it more towards meh-ness. Imo of course. Rather obviously I don't know what your intentions are when it comes to texturing it, so what I'm about to suggest might be things you've just chosen to take care of in the textures:
Maybe add a gauge or some sort of feedback pertaining to the status of the gun?
and/or
Maybe a panel, for replacing the.. uh.. Cow Molestation Beam Sequencer gem? Well you know, a panel anyway.
and/or
A few small knobs like on real firearms, to toggle the singleshot/full auto/"are you crazy?!" settings?

Anyway, he looks real good so far. I don't.. neccessairly understand why he stands that way, kind of a curious pose I think, but he looks like a grownup Jim for sure.

proudclod
01-28-2004, 02:58 AM
wow.... earthworm jim sure was a fun old game..... now psot more :D!!!

sumpm1
01-28-2004, 09:09 AM
I love this character, Earthworm Jim was so far ahead of its time. The modeling here is great. It was the animation that really sold the character. Excellent work!

h2olt
01-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Ok, here's the big gun.

Let me know what you guys think.

Please.

Harsh crits welcome also.

http://h2olt.freeservers.com/Images/JimBiggun.jpg

Also, besides tweaks to optimize animation and add extra points in curves I'm done with the modeling I'm at 4130 polys now.

I'll be using my left over poly's to add detail to the updated blaster too

requiem
01-30-2004, 06:34 PM
just checking in on your progress. looks awesome. i cant wait to see him textured. that is a freaking huge gun man.

h2olt
01-30-2004, 06:53 PM
yes, it is big, but it's in perspective view too.

it's not quite as big as it looks

Blud_Stane
01-30-2004, 08:30 PM
i like the modelling here!

just way too close to the original :P

-big muscular suit
-skinny mean worm for a head

how about a fat head on a skinny body?
or an obesly fat body?
or a hook through the head?

something that deviates from a muscular body and mean lookin worm head, which was the original idea... keep it up, i'd just personally like to see ya venture out in some more original ideas

h2olt
01-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Blud_Stane - Your point is well taken. and I admit that this is just a re design of the same character, and not a whole new earthworm jim. But from what I've percieved of this competition I'm already straying about as far as I can from the original idea. (worm in tough power suit) I've tried to make his posture, proportions, and soon texturing convey a different style and attitude than the original.

but for this comp I'm really working on my modeling skills. I've never actually finished one of the comps on time (ony tried 3) so I'm just trying to see what i can do.

feeesh
01-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I think it would be a cool project to redesign his whole look but the competition was more to turn an existing character into 3D, not to redesign a character so I think you are on the right path here.

The bigger gun looks SAHweeeeet! I wanna see him double-fisting it with both guns, :-D

AdamAtomic
01-31-2004, 02:37 AM
wicked! Great work man. Have you given any more thought to opening this guy up to some community skinning action? :D I'd love to take my wacom to him!!! Rockin good job.

Blud_Stane
01-31-2004, 07:16 PM
"Your goal is to take a pixel character and recreate it in 3d but without using existing design of the official 3d characters"

that's what i meant to say is what the rules stated, but ya i don't wanna complain too much here, the model is well built and im a huge fan of Earthworm jim and you've done it justice really to 3d ;)

h2olt
01-31-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks. I may have been a little defensive earlier. I had been up all night working on an assignment for class

I WAS planning a more drastic approach, but if you look down the original challenge post several responsese the challenge moderator suggested not deviating too far from the original sprite.

requiem
01-31-2004, 11:56 PM
It seems to me that the concept for this character fully validates the model. the idea is that he's older and battle worn. this would come out more through the texture then the model since it's low poly.
Even though he's still proportionally exaggerated, this model has a much more realistic and darker style than the original. You'll never see earthworm jim looking like this in a video game.

H2olt- i think it would be cool if you make the textures lean toward realism for an even more drastic change.

h2olt
02-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Hey All I'm still here.

It took me a while to get around to unwrapping jim, so i might not be able to get his texture done in 1 day

here are the final wires, what i've done on the face, and the color ideas for the rest of the body. Let me know what you think. I\ll be finishing this up this week no matter what.

http://h2olt.freeservers.com/Images/Jim2-15-04.jpg

I'll be making the textures as realistic as I can. But I'm not really good at texture.

AdamAtomic
02-16-2004, 01:28 AM
hell yeah! looking hot man! that eye looks great, keep at it! I think the color choice is very fitting...I'm still interested in taking a crack at the skin if you're willing (outside of the contest of course) - can't wait to see him finished!

h2olt
02-16-2004, 01:53 AM
Thanks Adam.

Right now I'm working the UV So that his guns will fit on there too.

Once the contest is over I'll re-rig him and adjust the uv's so that I could bring him into say, UT2kx.

I'd be more than happy to see what some of you guys could do with him at that point.

Streetgrime
02-16-2004, 02:03 AM
Hahaha... man thats awesome!!!

That brings back memmories... Earthworm Jim was the FIRST game I ever worked on... must be like 6 or 7 years ago... I did so little on that project it was a sin that I got credit for it...

ofcourse it WAS the version for the Sega saturn.. so noone saw it anyway.. haha... the Music was cool as heck.. I remember that much... That tallarico guy was born to do that game.. hah

Anyhow... keep up the good work!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.