PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Tablet

Opeth
01-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone.
I'm helping a friend of mine get a Wacom tablet. Instictively, we concluded that the larger, 12"X18" Lintous2 model would be best, but i've been hearing people comment on the smaller model, the 12"x9", being actually more comfertable working with.

can you please write me your opinions with a short explenation so i'm able to reach a better decission?

thanks very much,
David

sic6six
01-13-2004, 08:39 PM
i have the smaller version of the intuos 2 graphics tablet and it does its job quite well. i think bsically when you use a larger tablet you use a smaller amount of screen to do ur drawings on if ur copying them from paper. other than that i dont know wot the difference is

bumskee
01-14-2004, 10:20 AM
most people would prefer 6X8 size. simply because 9X12,12X12 and above is just too big, takes up too much space on desk.
I own 12X12 but I wish I had 6X8 instead, 4X5 is way too small had that too. But most people would recommend you 6X8. jsut make sure you get Intous2.

ArtisticVisions
01-14-2004, 07:59 PM
A lot of people which I know use 6x8 and are perfectly happy with it; however, I personally use a 9x12 and love it to death. I've tried a friend's 6x8, but I thought it was too small for what I use it for (illustration in Photoshop and Painter).

AdamantiumKnot
01-15-2004, 06:09 AM
I own a 6x8 and i love it. the difference is that it scales the surface area to your screen. So, the larger the tablet, the less scaling it does. I'm completely satisfied with mine, plus I got it with a student discount, it was dirt-cheap.

Phantom__2
01-15-2004, 11:18 AM
A student discount. I didn't think of that. I am about to buy a 6x8 and was going to pay close to full price but I use it for my photoshop class. Do I have to be a full time student? Any info on how to purchase one with a student discount would be greatly appreciated.

AdamantiumKnot
01-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Phantom__2
A student discount. I didn't think of that. I am about to buy a 6x8 and was going to pay close to full price but I use it for my photoshop class. Do I have to be a full time student? Any info on how to purchase one with a student discount would be greatly appreciated.

just need to have a student id and currently be enrolled in a school of some sort

www.journeyed.com is where i got mine from

Phantom__2
01-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Cool thanks. I did some checking and it seems journeyed is just about the only place with a student discount. I am still trying to find my student id. Would you mind sharing the price I would be looking at for a 6x8? Also what is the difference in serial or usb? It would seem to me usb would be better because of plug and play and every pc has it. But usb is cheaper which doesn't make sense if it is better.

AdamantiumKnot
01-16-2004, 05:49 AM
I have the USB version, I think it cost me around $275, I really can't remember. Gotta love plug n' play, just bring it to class and play with it there too hehe.

Sentenza
01-16-2004, 06:02 AM
I think the size you should choose depends on the way you work, the way you paint on real paper. An artist who is familiar to use an easel and "need" the great canvas should go with the greater version. But people like for example me who draw more out of the wrist then out of the whole arm getting more comfortable with a smaller version. I could imagine that I would not be able to use the great tablet as "good" as my "smaller" version.

nervouselk
01-16-2004, 01:16 PM
you have more resolution with the bigger version, and is easier to make more acurate strokes to the canvas. Small is good but you may find yourself working tight on a drawing or foreverzooming. They dont take up too much desk space, just when not in use put your mousemat on it. I never move mine out the way. Maybe with the smaller version you will need to move it as your wrist may run over the edge of the tablet too often.

Sentenza
01-16-2004, 03:14 PM
... -> easier to make more acurate strokes ...

Hhm, OK ... that's a point ...

Phantom__2
01-16-2004, 03:38 PM
How is $275 dirt cheap. I am pretty sure the usb Intous2 6x8 runs $300 of the Wacom website. Journeyed has them for $250 right now. No big deal I was just hoping for reall dirt cheap.

radobe
01-16-2004, 05:39 PM
I have the first Intuos 6*8 and i am very happy with it. I had a Graphire before which was way too small, but i had the opportunity to test all sizes of wacoms at work and i must say that i don't like the bigger versions, 9*12 is still ok for me but the 12*18 size is way too big for photoshop works. I just don't like to have to move the arm that much when i work with it. And there is also the desk size problem ;)

But there is one thing i have to say about the older intuos which i have:

I have a iiyama 19" monitor and there are interferences with the magnetic field of the monitor when i work with the wacom. Espacially when i use the pen on the upper half of the drawing pad the cursor starts to vibrate, which is quite annoying. It stops when i move the wacom away from the monitor, at a distance of about 50cm (dunno how many inches these are 20" ?! ).

I will buy a 19" LCD monitor now, so this should be settled then, but somebody who has a small desk and a big monitor should not buy the older intuos. The new Intuos 2 have higher frequencies they use, so these interferences should not occur with them. For all those that have enough room between monitor and pad can buy the intuos 1 too because it has the same features.

bumskee
01-17-2004, 02:27 PM
yeah, that radiation stuff, when I had my grapphire 2 my monitor shook like crazy, took me almost a year to figure it out. more the reason I got my intous2. and it doesn't shake so.. :thumbsup:

AdamantiumKnot
01-18-2004, 06:27 AM
my monitor only shakes when i use that crest whitening brush that vibrates. i'm not a fan of lcd monitors, still sticking with the crt's. you can save a lot with student discounts though. the tablet may only save you $50 but i bought avid xpress dv3.5 for $400 last year, and i'm going to pick up max 6 for i think $850 this year. that's "dirt cheap" for those programs. try ebay if you want a tablet dirtcheap, i'm sure you could find one.

TiGER
01-19-2004, 05:23 PM
right now Journey Ed has them back at $299 for the 6x8 USB Intuos2.

they do however, have a good deal on Photoshop CS. $299 for the full version, not an upgrade. fully functional copy of the software, but you're on the honor system to only use it for educational puproses.

bumskee
01-19-2004, 11:24 PM
well recently, my company bought a new wacom intous2 6x8, the thing was icey blue and deep purple were something like $480? but this limited edition platinum silver was $380! both usb 6x8. It was lot cheaper because it didn't come with the mouse and additional softwares. But then again if you have photoshop who needs them. SO if you are looking for intous2 6x8, platinum seems like a good choice too, it's cheaper.. by the way above are in AUD.

I think I prefer my 12x12 tab, maybe coz I am used to it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.