PDA

View Full Version : Latest in Disney Florida Layoffs:Meeting with David Stainton

SheepFactory
01-13-2004, 05:06 PM
a very interesting article:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/articles/01132004.1.htm

some quotes:

"The crowd -- already angered by that "core people" comment -- peppered him with pointed questions. Which supposedly started with: "Why is the Walt Disney Company flooding the feature animation market with all these low quality direct-to-video sequels?'

Now Stainton (who -- it should be pointed out -- up until very recently was actually in charge of Disney Television Animation, the division of the Walt Disney Company that makes those direct-to-video films) supposedly tried to defend his old division, saying "Now they're not low quality films ..."

... Only to be shouted down by all those assembled.

David reportedly tried to continue, insisting that "the public couldn't really tell the difference between the direct-to-video stuff and the films that Feature Animation actually produces." This comment was also met with boos.

Sensing that he wasn't exactly going to be able win this crowd over by answering that question, Stainton quickly moved on to another query. Which allegedly was: "For the footage that I've seen so far of 'Chicken Little,' it's clear that we're just trying to copy Pixar now. Why isn't Disney trying to make its own kind of CG films?"

David reportedly tried to reply by saying that it was Pixar that was copying Disney, not the other way. That Pixar had borrowed Disney Animation's old production model (I.E. Keeping all of its artists under one roof, concentrating all of its resources on one film at a time). How Pixar had established this "braintrust" of directors and story people who helped each other, who worked together so that that studio could always get the most out of every single project.

"

what do you guys think?

gruvsyco
01-13-2004, 05:15 PM
kill'm... kill'm all.

seems like Disney is grasping.

I emailed the guys at Legacy Animation a couple days ago to wish them the best of luck and got a friendly response from Eddie Pittman this morning. Communication ownz :)

RockinAkin
01-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Mind you, some WDFA-F staffers were quietly approached as they exited yesterday's meeting. They were then quickly pulled into nearby offices by members of WDFA-F management. Where they were reportedly offered contracts that would allow them to continue to work for Disney Feature Animation. IF they agreed to relocate to Burbank. But given how badly these staffers had treated over the past eight weeks by the Walt Disney Company, many of those artists and technicians who were approached yesterday just laughed and said "Hell, no."
:beer:

I hope all of the people let go find better jobs elsewhere with Disney's competetors and drive Disney into the ground for the way they've treated these men and women.

FloydBishop
01-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by DivideByZero
:beer:

I hope all of the people let go find better jobs elsewhere with Disney's competetors and drive Disney into the ground for the way they've treated these men and women.

The competition has been doing this kind of thing to their employees for a long time as well. Disney just gets more press. Anyone remember a 2D animation studio in Phoenix?

TheWraith
01-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Floyd Bishop
The competition has been doing this kind of thing to their employees for a long time as well. Disney just gets more press. Anyone remember a 2D animation studio in Phoenix?

ah yes, i was actually thinking of working for fox since i was in school studying 3d there and titan ae had just come out and then they closed down :( at least we got one of their animators as a teacher and he really rocked. he was a former imagineer too... poor guy

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.