PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Future?

flipnap
01-12-2004, 01:34 PM
First off, i apologize for not having a link but i cant find one, as I read this in the paper.. so if anyone can post a link, i would be much obliged..

Basically it was a story about how (i think kodak) has implemented a new microfilm machine.. When people create digital documents, they record the document onto analog microfilm, then destroy the digital version.. If someone wants to access the document, it will scan the microfilm and send a digital copy to the reader.. but the reader cannot alter the document, since the original is on microfilm..

Just thought it was interesting that things have started gonig back to analogue in an attempt to thwart binary theft and manipulation in an age where we seem to be at a loss for how to deal with such things... Also a great marekting strategy for (whoever) came up with the idea and the machine

AIPh Pretzel
01-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Very disappointing.

I was expecting images of Marty McFly and Doctor Emmitt Brown and possibly the DeLorean.

TheWraith
01-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by AIPh Pretzel
Very disappointing.

I was expecting images of Marty McFly and Doctor Emmitt Brown and possibly the DeLorean.

LOL! you too huh?

flipnap
01-12-2004, 03:37 PM
sorry guys,i actually got excited myself at just the thought, but i cant change the title.. dont have access..

AIPh Pretzel
01-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Now this thread delivers...

http://myhome.shinbiro.com/~luiese/poster/back-future.jpg

flipnap
01-12-2004, 03:49 PM
LOL.. I actually have that poster framed and on my wall!! along with ET and blade runner.. hey guys, whats up with the avatars? election times or what? who are those guys

EnergyMan
01-12-2004, 05:11 PM
So what happens to the digital copies that are sent? I don't really see how having an analog source changes the fact it still sends it digitally. Also, being analog never changed piracy for vhs or any other analog media format, so I'm sure there's something missing from the equation.

AWAKE
01-12-2004, 05:19 PM
shouldn't this thread be called 1984?

flipnap
01-12-2004, 05:20 PM
yeah thats why i need to find a link to the story, they explain it all.. basically its like this.. the document is converted to microfilm permanently.. anyone who needs to see the original knows the original is on microfilm, so if a so called "original" is submitted and its not through a court order to view the microfilm, or a warrant to make a copy under observation, its a fake.. the copies that are digitally sent out by the machine are ONLY for referral and review..the only way you can fake a microfilm document, is to make a new microfilm version, and sneak it into the machine which holds the originals.. which of course can be done, but its a lot harder than opening Word...

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.