PDA

View Full Version : Grab viewport => video

darky7
01-12-2004, 09:32 AM
does someone know how to make a script to grab the viewport in order to make a video ?
thanx.

and if simply tiz possible or not ...
thanx.

Cthulhu
01-15-2004, 05:37 PM
you can try to set up a timer event and then grab the viewport with the gw.getViewPortDib() command and save it incremental, then you'll get a list of bmp images which can be converted to an avi...

Cthulhu
01-15-2004, 10:32 PM
i just found the idea pretty useful to have a script that grabs the viewport, so i wrote a little one. it lets you set a time interval to grab the view (like every second or every 1/10ths), and the filename and filetype for saving, then just hit the grab button! i hope this will be useful for you...

darky7
01-16-2004, 02:59 PM
thank U very much !!!!

I'll try this !!

very nice of U to have written the script, cos I'm not very good at scripting.

thanx a lot.

:)

Cthulhu
01-16-2004, 04:10 PM
just added an option to the script to also grab the viewport on every change the user does to it, so the final video will be way smoother..

darky7
01-18-2004, 06:49 PM
yes it works !!! :applause:
very nice

but, is it possible to grab the viewport when you have an animation ? I meant, instead of rendering it, is it possible to grab it in the viewport and make an avi or image sequence at 25i/s ?

I found a script but it doesn't work ...
can U tell me why please ?
thank you

Cthulhu
01-18-2004, 10:16 PM
so why don't use the make preview function in max? i think it does exactly what you want. but its also possible with the script, just set the speed to 10 and turn on grab on each change and step through the animation frame by frame, could be a bit painful on longer animations though..

darky7
01-19-2004, 07:21 AM
:blush:

thanx again !!!

I didn't know that 'make preview existed'

re:blush:

suck
01-21-2004, 12:50 AM
thats really funny how that script evolved... if the guy would've known about Make Preview, you never would've whipped that up. :) thanks though, definitely useful!

Cthulhu
01-21-2004, 03:09 PM
hehe, yeah, thats true ;) i found this pretty useful for analyzing your workflow. i started capturing my work yesterday just for fun, and when i watched later on, i just thought, man, what the heck i am doing there and found several things i could improve on my workflow..

Genko3D
02-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Hey all.

Cthulhu, nice script but it pops up every time i start max. How can i stop it from doing that?? I removed it from the stdplugs.. folder.

I'd like to launch it when i need it not every time i start max

Tho it's a damn useful script!!

Thanks!

Cthulhu
02-05-2004, 02:52 PM
hmm.. if you put the script in the script\ folder, it shouldn't start automatically on startup. you can also put it into a toolbar so you have quick access to it, just open the script, mark everything and drag the code into a toolbar, then it will be placed there as a macroscipt button. glad you like it ;)

Damm
02-05-2004, 07:50 PM
hehe cool :D..

i do have a suggestion tho.. can you make it so it takes a screengrab after you've released the mouse button. As it is now it takes grabs while you're "moving" so to speak.. it makes my max very slow :(..

Edit: Oh and mebbe make it so you can choose the resulotion of the images :).. i'm my case i like to work with only one viewport maxed up, and that gives me almost 1600x1200 grabs :)..

Cthulhu
02-07-2004, 01:13 PM
ok, i added an option to disable capturing while a mousebutton is pressed and a little info showing you how many images have been captured and some minor changes... resizing the image while capturing is not a good idea, extremly slows down the capturing, so you should do that afterwards with a batch process or something. i tried to lock the viewport at a specific size, but this doesn't seem to work either..
i turned the script into a macroscript now, so you have to add it to a toolbar first (category "ViewportGrabber"), if you already added the old version as a macroscript, you should remove that first..

happy capturing ;)

Cthulhu
02-07-2004, 05:07 PM
the scaling thing just didn't get out of my head, so i read the manual again and found a way to scale fast enough, so you can enter a size now and output images will be scaled to that. this also allows you to change the viewport size during capturing. and this made it possible to directly save the images as an avi movie, just select avi type in the file dialog. haven't tried it with .mov though.

Damm
02-08-2004, 09:36 AM
wow Cthulhu :)..

i'll have to try it asap

Cthulhu
02-08-2004, 05:28 PM
i just did some more changes: there now is an option for adding a mousepointer to the output images, a pause button and i changed the autograb, it now works as its supposed to do ;) all options are interactive now, so you can change the grabbing speed, buttonstates and autograb while capturing...

Damm
02-08-2004, 08:08 PM
hehe you're a real bad ass :)..
in a good way ;)

Genko3D
02-09-2004, 02:49 PM
Cthulhu, first i've put the script in the stdplugs/stdscripts folder and then i removed it from there it still loads at startup. Why is that?

Thanks!

Cthulhu
02-09-2004, 03:09 PM
hmm, dont know why this would happen.. maybe you should search in the \scripts, \stdplugs and \ui directory for the script, delete it, then restart max and add it again. sometimes max saves a copy of a script somewhere when you add it as macroscript. this could be the reason, and to be totaly sure, check your 3dsmax.ini, normally, there shouldnt be saved any script related things in there, but who knows?? ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.