PDA

View Full Version : Random colour or saturation across image?

Cameo
01-12-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to do an old photo type effect and would like to give the appearance of faded colour in parts due to sunlight or water spill or something like that. Can anyone suggest a good way of making random selections and then having a colour or saturation variance across them? If I just marquee a selection or a use pen thats exactly what it looks like which doesnt fit with the whole randomness im trying to achieve..

Arctos
01-12-2004, 03:35 AM
You mean that is supposed to be a faded color photo?
It's not too hard.

I'd put a hue/saturation adjustment layer over your photo.
Adjust it, as if you wanted the most extreme fading to appear over your entire image.
Now because you used the adjustment layer, you can pull back the effect selectively. (Layer Masks rule!)
Render clouds, or apply some gradients, and then tweak with some brushwork, to get it to look right.

does that make sense?

EricChadwick
01-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Yes, add an adjustment layer, then paint in its mask. One possible way with filters only would be to use Filter > Render > Clouds, then Filter > Blur > Smart Blur, then Levels to clamp the mask down into solid splotches. This might give the effect of spilled water. Alt-click on the mask to make it visible while you adjust it.

Then you might make an outline effect around each splotch by adding a Layer Style effect, like Outer Glow set to Color Burn or something.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.