PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Dante's Inferno: Shades

Nazeil
01-12-2004, 01:56 AM
I am currently working on a class project aiming to recreate Hell as described in Dante's Inferno. I am creating the shades (the damned) which will be seen throughout all the various levels of hell. Our goal is to actually create only two models (male/female) and then generate characters of various sizes/shapes using blendshapes and a MEL script we are working on. Im trying to make the model as lean as possible, while still being able to hold up for medium shots. The director has indicated that facial animation is a must, so that just makes my job harder. I was originally aiming for about 2500 tris...but overshot my budget and ended up at about 3700 (including teeth and throat). I will be reducing the poly count tonight but I would love to have any input you could pass my way. Here are the images.

http://rainandash.com/critiques/bodymesh.jpg
http://rainandash.com/critiques/headbody.jpg
http://rainandash.com/critiques/head1.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Dargon
01-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Are you sure you're counting tri's, and not faces? It looks way higher than 3700 tris....

As far as crits...

I think the character seems a bit broad in the shoulders compared to his hips and legs width..

His face is quite non-descript, and lacking of structure. I'd strenghten the jaw-line, and cheek-bones a bit. His eyes seem as though they are pushing his face out to fit in his head, giving him a bit of an ET look.

Keep it up, but I'd seriously look at reducing those tris quite a bit. There's a lot of subtlety in curvature that just won't hold up in a game engine, or be missed if it weren't there. I'd say you could easily half the number of tris without seriously affecting the model's look, especially after texturing.

Nazeil
01-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Im sure its 3700 ish tris. Hit triangulate in maya and thats the number that popped up. I'll post some updated images this evening after I've done some more work reducing poly's. I completely agree that I should be able to get similar results with less polys.

One thing to keep in mind is that I must have enough polys that I can morph his face (and body) using blend shapes (eg a fat face, skinnier face, stronger jaw line, softer/more prominant nose, etc) so that we can generate a multitude of characters.

I'll go back and check over my proportions for the shoulders. I am a little bit confused about your comment on the eyes. If you could elaborate I would appriciate it. Thanks for the input, and keep it coming.

AdamAtomic
01-12-2004, 04:29 PM
looks great! I think his pecs look a little on the tall side though - maybe if you better defined the top edge or something? Maybe bring the collarbones down a little...i'm not sure. Anyways, looking good! This sounds like a cool project.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.