PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the San Francisco Area interested in the Video Game industry?

Divideby0
01-11-2004, 10:46 PM
A friend of mine sent me this. Thought some of you might be interested. $35 mini-conference.

How To Break Into The Game Industry:
Mini-Conference, Resume Workshop
San Francisco. Saturday, Jan. 31, 2004. 8:30 AM to 3 PM

This event is designed for students and professionals - artists, programmers and designers - eager to get a job in the computer and video game industry. Attendees will have the opportunity to speak with industry insiders, including top recruiter Mary-Margaret.com, hiring managers from local game companies as well as network and meet with industry veterans. [read more]

http://www.thegameinitiative.com/

SheepFactory
01-12-2004, 12:46 AM
thank you for the link!

pogonip
01-12-2004, 01:19 AM
Personally I think it's almost impossible to say what it takes to break into games or movies as an artist because really when it comes down too it outside of being capable to doing high quality work quickly the stuff in your portoflio has to be to the taste of the art director or who ever is hiring ...like someone who draws/models cartoony would probebly have a good chance of getting on at naughty dog or blizzard but probbely not have a good chance at ID or Epic it has a lot to do with your style,quality of work and what they are looking for ...and timing ..:hmm:

Divideby0
01-12-2004, 01:31 AM
It is difficult. I think they know this and thats why they have this event. To give a little more hope to those trying to are willing to commit to the work to get there :bounce:

I also found this link very helpful. I think Doug Chiang hits it right on the mark. scroll down to the comments dated 1-28-2001.
http://www.dchiang.com/dchiang/faq.html

pogonip
01-12-2004, 02:15 AM
Ha ! Thanks for the link I have not been to his site in ages ...wow his robota book is out !! :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.