PDA

View Full Version : unwanted shadows on faces

Dinodiegus
01-11-2004, 09:02 PM
hi guys,

i been having a problem with this char i skinned, for some reason i see some odd shadows on my faces, and i havent added any lights in my scene.

the only thing i did was model it in low poly and uv map it and sometimes used smoothing groups on some areas.

any clue on what i should do to resolve this?

http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=1070436

JDinges
01-11-2004, 09:07 PM
It's probably your smoothing groups. Sometimes you can get some nasty shading artifacts from them.

Maybe try adding alittle more geometry to those ares to help the smoothing process?

Or you can just bump your texture up to 100% self illuminated if you don't plan on ever having any lights in the scene/engine. Though I would just mess around with adding some geometry or editing the triangulation first.

Edit: Oh yeah, and check to make sure that you have no extra verts overlapping each other that aren't welded. Just select the whole area and weld verts at 0.1

Hope that helps some.

Dinodiegus
01-11-2004, 09:59 PM
when u say editing the triangulation, what do you mean by that?

Dargon
01-11-2004, 10:31 PM
What program?

If it's Maya, try unlocking the normals.

Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Set Vertex Normal -> Option Box, click unlock Normal, OK.

Dinodiegus
01-11-2004, 10:41 PM
its in 3dsmax 6, and i do not know how to fix the normals in max 6 ?

you guys got a clue?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.