PDA

View Full Version : Sampling methods for lighting

michaelb
01-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Hi,
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this, but since it does have to do with lighting, I'll give it a try. Lately I've been doing a lot of research on lighting, and right now I'm concentrating on various methods used to take sampling points for quicker rendering area lights. So far I've found stochastic sampling, jittered uniform sampling, Poisson distribution sampling and something called "wavelet" that seems to be over my head. I've been doing some experiments in LightWave with a bunch of Spotlights set up in a Poisson distribution, and it really seems to help reduce the number of lights used and still give nice smooth cast shadows. I was wondering if someone could tell me if Poisson is considered the "best" sampling method currently available, or if there are some other methods I haven't discovered yet. Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated. Faster and smoother lights would be nice!

Best regards,
Michael B.
(p.s. What the heck is "wavelet?" :) )

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.