PDA

View Full Version : Meshsmooth

niklmauz
06-22-2002, 11:50 PM
I'm still very new to low poly modelling, so bear with me if these are stupid questions. Anyway, I've been having a go at making a model for counter strike, and from what I can see using the Half Life model viewer, the game has a a meshmooth type effect built in. Is this standard for most games? Also, does using a Meshsmooth modifier with 0 iterations make a model more memory intensive (I've been doing this when working on my chars in 3ds max - is it ok to do it?)?

Sorry again if this is stoopid. I welcome any replies.

Iain McFadzen
06-23-2002, 01:24 AM
Look up "smoothing groups" in the online help. Basically smoothing groups tell the renderer (game engine, max viewport etc) how to handle shading between polys. Applying a 0 iteration meshsmooth effectively appies a single smoothing group to the whole object, but you can do this (as well as a whole lot more) from the smoothing group settings in editable mesh/ poly.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.