PDA

View Full Version : Movie from "I, robot"

Antonio79
01-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Hello everybody! I heard somewhere that a movie inspired by the book "I, robot" by Isac Asimov is being produced and it will be released this year. Does anybody know something about that? above all, who is makeing visual effects?

Riddick
01-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Official website here:
http://www.irobotnow.com/

With Will Smith and beautiful bots.

Mwai Kasamale
01-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Digital Domain, (defunct GVFX), and other smaller shops but D2 is primary.

DirtySkillet
01-11-2004, 04:02 PM
haha!!!! The trailers out, finaly! Well, it's a teaser. I have been following I, Robot almost from day one. It looks great. Might have a very Minority Report feel to it. The robots look very good. I can't tell what the animation will be like. But I'm sure it'll be great. Can't wait!

vfx fan
01-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Apparently, WETA Digital is also working on the movie according to Cinefex.

3D_Prof
01-11-2004, 04:13 PM
I've read almost all of the Asimov robot books - and they really ARE incredible stories! Its also amazing what he could pack into a little short story of a robot - so, folks should read Asimov's short story books - as those stories really are wonderful.

The Bicentenial Man story was good, although many folks didn't like the movie. Hopefully this movie is a good one!!!

-K-

dantea
01-11-2004, 04:41 PM
I wonder how close they will stick to the original universe. Already, they've changed "The Three Laws of Robotics" to "3 Laws Safe".

3D_Prof
01-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Dantea - I think what they mean by "3 Laws Safe" is that this PARTICULAR robot on their webpage is SAFEly built with the 3 Laws already included - so that folks buying the robot know that it is Safe! Hopefully this is what they really mean - and that within the movie they will still refer to it as the "3 Laws of Robotics"!

-K-

chesterlampwick
01-11-2004, 06:36 PM
The bulk of the VFX were awarded to Digital Domain but Weta has a significant chunk of the sequences as well. Andy Jones of Final Fantasy and Animatrix fame is directing the animation for DD.

malducin
01-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Actually the movie is capitilizing more on Asimov's name, than actually being based on the stories. Apparently this was an unrelated script that someone was doing (maybe Proyas). Apparently the studio then decided to adapt it, like adding the 3 laws of robotics to the film so they can promote it better.

I, Robot is a collection of stories and apparently the movie has nothing to do with any of the stories. There might not be any Susan Calvin. Actually the description sounds more like Caves of Steel, about a police detective (which will be played by Smith) who distrusts robots and there is a murder involved.

FClub_TDurden
01-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Digital Domain is doing the majority of FX including the semi translucent SSS main characters.....weta is doing the old school robots that were modeled by DD and sent to weta for animation and lighting...

3D_Prof
01-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Malducin - that's too bad if its true what you say. To include Susan Calvin - who is an integral character as a primary roboticist, would have been great for this movie in general. It sounds like its been cheapened to mostly use Asimov's name to promote the movie. I know studios tend to do this, but, its too bad when its someone as important as Asimov - who was not only a writer, but a scientist and much more!!!

Well, I got my fingers crossed that they don't mess this up too much -- although, from what you all are saying - at least the VFX should be great!

One last thing. Malducin, I'd be interested to know where you got the info. from, regarding the story, Susan Calvin, Will Smith and such...

-K-

malducin
01-12-2004, 01:51 AM
Well Susan Calvin is a toss up, I've heard conflicting things. About the story it has been reported all over the place. It was either Premiere or Variety where maybe I read it.

Anyway a reliable recap of the going ons of these movies can be found at Yahoo Movies:

I, Robot (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808461628)

Laa-Yosh
01-12-2004, 09:29 AM
There is a Susan Calvin in the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005256/

I think we should be afraid.

I also don't like the robot design on the website, it's simply horrible...

AWAKE
01-12-2004, 04:34 PM
I hate the robots design too. I was actually hoping to see something a little less `designy`.

Rumor mill in my neighborhood says that DD lost those 200 shots to WETA.

trevanian
01-12-2004, 09:25 PM
To get an idea of how good I ROBOT could have been as a movie, I suggest you check out the screenplay Harlan Ellison wrote back around 1980. It was published in book form 10 or 12 years ago, and won Asimov's respect not just as a faithful adaptation, but as a very CINEMATIC interpretation as well.

Script has a heart as well as loads of potentially awesome visuals. Ellison wrote it when Kershner was going to direct, but Warner thought the budget was too high (Ellison also pissed off the management there with his honesty, what else is new?) and wrote Susan Calvin with Joanne Woodward in mind. Could have been a great damn movie!

trevanian
01-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by AWAKE

DD doesn't seem to have much luck with robots lately. As I recall, the AMEE robot was the first item yanked from DD on RED PLANET and sent to Cinesite, back when DD was ostensibly still doing 'all' the vfx on the show.

This was before Warner was forced to bring Jeff Okun in to do damage control on the fly during shooting, and he had to replan all the fx and start parcelling stuff out to a dozen or so other companies.

beaker
01-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by AWAKE
No they didn't loose those shots. DD lost shots on Day after Tomorrow, not I Robot(what happends when a secret is wispered around a room and it comes out totally different on the other side). GVFX in Vancouver/Toronto was origianlly awarded those shots your refering to and then they went bankrupt right after(sometime around September). They were posting a bunch of jobs for it on the web the week they went under.

vfx fan
01-13-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by trevanian
DD doesn't seem to have much luck with robots lately. As I recall, the AMEE robot was the first item yanked from DD on RED PLANET and sent to Cinesite, back when DD was ostensibly still doing 'all' the vfx on the show.

This was before Warner was forced to bring Jeff Okun in to do damage control on the fly during shooting, and he had to replan all the fx and start parcelling stuff out to a dozen or so other companies.
Yeah, well, this time, Digital Domain has their hands on a robot movie with actual potential.

By the way, what did they end up doing for "Red Planet?"

Antonio79
01-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Yeah I like that robot in "red planet", and other visual effects too in that movie, I think that if Weta Digital and DD will both work for this new movie, it will have wonderful effects!

malducin
01-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Well DD ended up doing much of the spaceship even though a lot of that got redone in CG I believe (Lightwave I thnik though I get confused sometimes between this assignment and the work on Supernova).

Anyway so there is a Susan Calvin, and top line. I wonder if they turn this into a love interest for Will Smith.

trevanian
01-13-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by vfx fan
Yeah, well, this time, Digital Domain has their hands on a robot movie with actual potential.

By the way, what did they end up doing for "Red Planet?"

They contracted to do something like 260 shots, but wound up delivering around 60 or 70, of which I think 20 or 30 got used. They built the big ship miniature, which was subsequently re-detailed by Grant McCune Design after DD stopped shooting mo-con and handed it over, and did some of the ship shots, plus they did a couple shots of people on tethers at the end. I think they did one of those helmet/faceplate shots too (I guess Rising Sun matched to their look.) Their producer on-site during shooting quit as soon as Okun showed up, or at least spent a week avoiding him before she quit, as I recall.

cgman27
01-13-2004, 06:33 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15802

Sounds like a big POS movie to me. I say any and everyone might as well remake classic books into total SH!T for money, its the wave of the present.

DirtySkillet
01-14-2004, 12:18 AM
U guys are wierd, i really liked the robot design! Very translucent plasticy. i dunno, I just really like it, the simplicity.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.