PDA

View Full Version : Giant Tentacle (texturing question)

H2600
06-22-2002, 09:31 PM
I'm working on this tentacle as part of a larger project that I have planed. Eventually, this tentacle should be sticking out of the middle of a fairly large city.

The question that I have now is, how the hell do I texture this beast? I can't figure out how to get it flattened so that I paint my textures on it. I'm using 3ds Max 4.2, I hope someone out there can help me out.:eek:

H2600
06-23-2002, 03:34 AM
Essentially, I'm asking what the best way to UV map this thing. At first I thought I could do a cylindrical projection, but now it seems like that might end up a little distorted.

kandyman
06-23-2002, 09:31 AM
a little distorted is just fine, as long as you can make out what goes where in photoshop.

moose droppings
06-24-2002, 07:26 AM
i think a cylindrical would be ok. If you're really freakin out, 2-3-4 planars then seams sewed together could would out well.

sinistergfx
06-24-2002, 05:49 PM
I would recommend putting the tentacle in a neutral position (totally straight). Texture it in that position with a cylindrical projection. Then pose it however you want.

leigh
06-24-2002, 06:19 PM
Yeah, that's a really good suggestion, sinistergfx!

H2600 - as sinistergf said, the best way to do it would be to straighten it out completely before unwrapping it for texturing. If you like the current pose it is in, and you don't want to lose it, then save it and once you've got the unwrapped co-ordinates, then just use this one as a morph-target and it will all work! :thumbsup:

Marcel
06-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Instead of morphing, you could also collapse it to an editable mesh. Then animate the vertices in the position you want, add UVW-mapping, add Unwrap modifier and go back to frame 0. Collapse after that if needed.

You can also break vertices with this technique, as long as you do that before you animate it (else you'll end up in a big mess).

datter
06-29-2002, 11:29 PM
Read my tutorial at http://www.davidtitusproductions.com/bw (in the tutorials section) that might help.

David

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.