PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic lightening Tutorials needed !

Jarah
01-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Greetings

Does any one know good Tutorial for making Dynamic or Cinamatic Lightening effect in photoshop ?

How to give a photo special form of lightening to make effect as if it was captured from a movie .... the movies Lightening usually differ than the one in the photos ?

can anybody help ?

Thnx

Ian Jones
01-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Lighting in movies often consists of a Keylight, fill and backlight / rimlight. You would be best actually using a studio with this sort of lighting setup rather than trying to recreate it on an existing photo in photoshop.

Abominable
01-13-2004, 02:24 AM
try this out...this should get you started, then you can play with the way you designed it to get the looks that work best for you. try scaling and transforming it after as well, blend 'em, overlap 'em etc. I can't remeber where I picked this trick up but it's a beauty. Or search photoshop & lightning on google and I'm sure you'll find lots of tips.

Look at stock photos on Corbis or such to get ideas as to what you're after. Search some photographers personal sites because I have seen guys that specialize in shooting natural elements like lightning. If you have money, buy some some stock frames or make an adventure out of it and try to shoot some of your own. It will give you great knowledge of how to use an SLR camera (and blow through film like mad...hehe)

1. Create whatever size project for yourself
2. Create a black & white gradient with a relatively small transition space in the center
3. Then on that layer go Filter>Render>Difference Clouds
Make sure you have your swatches for FG & BG colors set to Black & White (default)
4. Now Image>Adjustments>Invert
5. Now Image>Adjustments>Levels and crush the black levels down
6. Now Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation to color your lightning
Click on colorize , then tweak your settings

http://members.shaw.ca/transfers/cgtalkjunk/Lightning_tut.jpg

Jarah
01-17-2004, 03:19 AM
thnx Abominable very much ... the fact is i'm working on a comic project for a company & it's a Horror comic story ... so i want to add more dramatic lightening to the art

Thnx anyway ... I have Xenofex filter so it give me the lightening effect in a second :D

what i ment is the shadow & light effect
Thnx again

Jarah
01-17-2004, 03:19 AM
thnx Abominable very much ... the fact is i'm working on a comic project for a company & it's a Horror comic story ... so i want to add more dramatic lightening to the art

Thnx anyway ... I have Xenofex filter so it give me the lightening effect in a second :D

what i ment is the shadow & light effect
Thnx again

L0sTPr0fEt
01-25-2004, 03:50 AM
i <3 xenofex

Ian Jones
01-25-2004, 10:12 PM
BAH!... if you want LIGHTNING tutorials you should have spelt it right. :rolleyes: :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.