PDA

View Full Version : Xpresso tutorials first part

Srek
01-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Hi all,
here's the link to the first part of a small series of tutorials on Xpresso and Thinking particles. This is in no way finished. Please send C&C to
srek (at) bonkers (dot) de

or post it here :)

The layout is minimalistic by intention since i'm no webdesigner.

Have fun

Srek

Xpresso anonymous (http://www.bonkers.de/xpa/index.html)

raycerx
01-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Absolutly fascinating!!! Thanks for taking the time to help us understand X&TP. I have always been interested in its power but was unable to really understand it(them). Maxon went through all the trouble implementing these elements into there software it is a same more people havn't been able to easily pick it up. This will undoubtedly help change .
Thanks Again!!!

pit
01-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi Srek,

LOL - You named it "Expresso Anonymous" !!!

Thank you ever so much for this! It will be a GREAT help!

Greedy little me has one tiny request though - I saw the softbody example movie at your site yesterday - any chance you could cover that?

I really want to learn this stuff, so thanks again for the time and effort you donate! Highly appreciated!

Cheers
Pit

Srek
01-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by pit
Greedy little me has one tiny request though - I saw the softbody example movie at your site yesterday - any chance you could cover that?

Gladly

Cheers

BSrek

flingster
01-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Expresso Anonymous...:applause: ...
heh heh.

i'll print it off and take a read in the morning...looks very useful...good good effort bud...very much appreciated...and thankfully i even keep my anonymity...:thumbsup:

pit
01-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Srek
Gladly

:) :) :)

YEEEEEEES!
Give me a S... give me a R... give me a E... give me a K........ SREK!!!
Thanks a lot!!

LucentDreams
01-10-2004, 11:47 PM
The layout is minimalistic by intention since i'm no webdesigner.
Xpresso anonymous (http://www.bonkers.de/xpa/index.html)

Minimalisitc is fine since its the content that important ;) Great stuff so far Srek, this is a great contribution to the community.

For the time being I'm going to make this a sticky, then we'll probably moe it to the resource thread.

Zion
01-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Excellent!! Just the thing I've been looking for. Much obliged sir!!

Srek
01-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Hi again,
the second part is finished. Have fun with TP Softbodies :beer:

www.bonkers.de/xpa (http://www.bonkers.de/xpa)

Cheers

Srek

flyingP
01-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Fantastic, thanks for taking the time to write this Srek !!!!
:thumbsup:

flingster
01-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi again,
the second part is finished. Have fun with TP Softbodies :beer:

www.bonkers.de/xpa (http://www.bonkers.de/xpa)

Cheers

Srek

Oooh very cool...with scene files also...:buttrock: :bowdown:

danb
01-11-2004, 09:57 PM
this is awesome. i love expresso. hmm never thought i would say that.

anyways would there be a way to use regular geometry to drive footsteps in the mesh? also to leave the mesh imprinted and not to return to orignal state. i am going to be messing around with the settings to find out. but i figured i would ask in case someone knew right away.

thanks again srek for taking time to help with expresso.:bounce:

pit
01-11-2004, 10:40 PM
:eek: WOW!! I´m speechless......you´re so fast.. I asked yesterday!!!.. did you sleep at all?

I know you do this for the love of it and in your spare time – that`s really impressive! Thank you so much!!

I´ll start learning tomorrow - first thing! Can´t wait to get my head wrapped around this. Be prepared for some newbie questions....

Cheers
Pit

Srek
01-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by danb
anyways would there be a way to use regular geometry to drive footsteps in the mesh? also to leave the mesh imprinted and not to return to orignal state.

Yes it's possible. just don't use the elasticity. If you want a specific geometry for the imprint use a TP Object Collision preset.
Hope this helps
Björn

Scott M C4D
01-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Woow,

This is cool.
I just did the maxon tut http://www.maxoncomputer.com/tutorial_detail.asp?tutorialID=226&site=

Just posted this today. http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115232

Alot to learn but thanks for your help man :applause:

mikeh64
01-13-2004, 06:27 PM
thank you so much for this, and for listening to our requests.

this will end up being one of the more important beginner C4d resources

mikeh

dmthurman
01-14-2004, 05:58 AM
Shrek would it also be possible for you to post a quickie on working with SLA shaders. I have no idea how this may be benifical. Maxon says it's been implemented in v8.5 is this something to get excited about :drool: or what?.......

p.s.

thanks for this tutorial, i'm working through it now, since I just got my permanent serial# i might as well actually try and use particles, I don't do animation but i might find it worthwhile...

Srek
01-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by dmthurman
Shrek would it also be possible for you to post a quickie on working with SLA shaders. I have no idea how this may be benifical. Maxon says it's been implemented in v8.5 is this something to get excited about :drool: or what?......

Yes it's areason to go excited. You have access to practicaly every aspects of materials via Xpresso by manipulating Layer and Fusion shaders as well as the parameters of all other shaders. I can think of a thousand ways to manipulate materials this way, but sinc ei'm not an artist or in CG production a good real world example is escaping me at this time, otherwise i would already be on the tutorial. Do you have an ideas what you like to control?
Cheers
Srek

Jake-L
01-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Hi,

Sorry for butting in, but I couldn't resist forwarding my simple idea, yet one which I cannot figure out by myself (pitiful, I know) :blush:

The objective, in its basic form, is to imitate a changing quality of the skin - for example the wrinkling that happens when a person lifts his/her brow/ squints or bends his/her fingers.

In 3D speak, I suppose this would mean (in the wrinkling example) driving the bump map via deformers (i.e. bones, spline defs).

A more advanced version would lend itself to more than just wrinkles, methinks.

Here you would alter the bump channel itself (via a layer shader, perhaps), not just its amplitude, according to how strong a particular morph target is in Posemixer. Of course, other channels/parameters than bump/amplitude could be driven as well. (Think of a chameleons, the invisible man, instant mummification, etc.)

Srek
01-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Jake L
Hi,

Sorry for butting in, but I couldn't resist forwarding my simple idea, yet one which I cannot figure out by myself (pitiful, I know) :blush:

The objective, in its basic form, is to imitate a changing quality of the skin - for example the wrinkling that happens when a person lifts his/her brow/ squints or bends his/her fingers.

In 3D speak, I suppose this would mean (in the wrinkling example) driving the bump map via deformers (i.e. bones, spline defs).

A more advanced version would lend itself to more than just wrinkles, methinks.

Here you would alter the bump channel itself (via a layer shader, perhaps), not just its amplitude, according to how strong a particular morph target is in Posemixer. Of course, other channels/parameters than bump/amplitude could be driven as well. (Think of a chameleons, the invisible man, instant mummification, etc.)

Hi Jake,
realy nice idea. It can be easily done with Xpresso , my only problem here is that it would need opticaly appealing example meshes and textures.
You can mix between different bumpings with Xpresso by controlling a Layer Shader. An additional control of the bump strength is also very easy (just drag & drop the shader in the Xpresso editor and connect anything you want to the Blend ports. An idea would be to create a basic bump map as well as a basic color map and some additonal bump and color maps for old age. Via Xpresso you can animate between them easily. Wrinkles and folds can be done in the same way.
However those are technicaly absolutely primitive Xpresso wise, the real challenge is a good texture for this :)

Cheers
Srek

flingster
01-14-2004, 12:06 PM
maybe go for an exagerated example...eg snake or lizard skin change? dunno just a thought...might make idea more practical...:shrug:

dmthurman
01-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Shrek,
I'm a bit more visual, maybe you could either whip up a couple of examples and for those of us that are so new to this it would be an easy way to play around with. I'm also thinking in terms of single image rather than animation. I can think of many ways that this would be great for animation but I also think that is completely applicable to creating single images in that you can have much more control over your shaders/materials. To give an example that I'm working on. I have a slate wall tiled. Slate varies in thickness but it doesn't vary at the color level in relationship to the thickness. I would love to be able to create a shader for the colors that are controlable to possibly the individual tile so that it doesn't look like I large map over the tile pattern. Basically each tile subtly colored different. I would also like the bump map different from the color channel with the same degree of control for each Tile...Basically I want to color, and create bump maps for each tile without having to manually create them for each tile...Is this possible? Oh, and one last thing each tile has been modeled rather than simply placing a Tile shader on a flat surface and trying to make it look like a tile wall. That's old school :D

Srek
01-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Shrek,
I'm a bit more visual, maybe you could either whip up a couple of examples and for those of us that are so new to this it would be an easy way to play around with. I'm also thinking in terms of single image rather than animation. I can think of many ways that this would be great for animation but I also think that is completely applicable to creating single images in that you can have much more control over your shaders/materials. To give an example that I'm working on. I have a slate wall tiled. Slate varies in thickness but it doesn't vary at the color level in relationship to the thickness. I would love to be able to create a shader for the colors that are controlable to possibly the individual tile so that it doesn't look like I large map over the tile pattern. Basically each tile subtly colored different. I would also like the bump map different from the color channel with the same degree of control for each Tile...Basically I want to color, and create bump maps for each tile without having to manually create them for each tile...Is this possible? Oh, and one last thing each tile has been modeled rather than simply placing a Tile shader on a flat surface and trying to make it look like a tile wall. That's old school :D

I fear i have no idea how to do this beside creating an own material for each tile and using some random function to vary the bump noise and the color.
Cheers
Srek

dmthurman
01-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Ha, well I at least had to try. :D....

Chrissyboy
01-14-2004, 10:34 PM
Shrek...

heh - you might want to check that name...

... Oh, and one last thing each tile has been modeled rather than simply placing a Tile shader on a flat surface and trying to make it look like a tile wall. That's old school :D

This might not be what you're after, but Jenna is superb for creating tiled walls, floors, window panes, that sort of thing - you can model a couple of detailed tiles, add a subtle rotation/position variation, and use two GridArrays with opposing distribution maps to cover your tiled area. Not quite the same as making each tile separately, but pretty convincing none-the-less.

Seeyou - C

dmthurman
01-14-2004, 10:53 PM
thanks on the tip for jenna i'll give it a go....as far as the screw up on the name, I have a 5 year old that's watched shrek about a million times, arrrgh my mistake it's stuck in my head...

brammelo
01-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Srek,

Thanks for this wonderful contribution, mate. We all apreciate it very much.

Cheers,
BaRa

Chrissyboy
01-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi - I just thought I'd mention that these tutorials transformed a very boring journey this morning into a voyage of discovery! I got off the train a changed man, and there aren't many people who can claim to have seen the light at Clapham Junction ;-)

Most enlightening - thanks for these tutorials, keep 'em coming!

C

Srek
01-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Hi all,
the third part of the tutorials is online.
Xpresso Anonymous (http://www.bonkers.de/xpa/index.html)
Instead of one bigger project there are three smaller ones. I've focused on introducing three nodes that i think are pretty usefull. Each nodes comes with an example setup.

Hope you like it and as always C&C is very welcome.

Have fun
Srek

flingster
01-18-2004, 02:25 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
nuff said.

dmthurman
01-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the Effort Srek. These are so great for us Non programer types. It definitely is helping me get the logic of this stuff.....

Neoklassik
01-20-2004, 05:21 AM
I'd like to request a random controller setup. I can get random to work rotating a cube but haven't figured out the right combination to control the speed. So far I've tried time, math(divide) and range mapper but I'm just expression challenged I think.

On a side note, what'd be really cool (for me) is some kind of random tag you could apply to any animatable variable without having to enter the editor.

Srek
01-20-2004, 08:15 AM
Hi,
have a look here:
Example (http://www.bonkers.de/download/xp_randomcontrol.zip)
You can use Set Driver / Set Driven to control any parameter you want.
Hope this helps
Srek

Neoklassik
01-20-2004, 04:06 PM
Hi,
have a look here:
Example (http://www.bonkers.de/download/xp_randomcontrol.zip)
You can use Set Driver / Set Driven to control any parameter you want.
Hope this helps
Srek

Thanks Srek,
Is noise a random value? I hadn't even thought of that. Cool.

What would be the best way to control the speed on both?

Srek
01-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Noise is not random, it's a rather complex formula. Noise can be made faster or slower easily, just change the frequency setting of the preset.
Random on the other hand can not be controlled in terms of speed, since the values are completely independent from one another. If you want a smoth but not to regular motion use noise.
Cheers
Srek

Srek
01-31-2004, 08:40 PM
Hi all,
the fourth part of Xpresso anonymous is online. It's focused on emitters and spawning.
Have fun
Srek
www.bonkers.de (http://www.bonkers.de)

flingster
02-01-2004, 01:40 PM
these are just getting better and better as a resource...
top credit to ya bud...please keep motivated and keep going.
:bowdown: :bowdown:

dmthurman
02-01-2004, 09:47 PM
These are such a great resource for us non programer type dweebs. Thanks again srek.....

Srek
02-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Hi,
one smaller update. An additional tutorial on how to do a car suspension with Xpresso.
www.bonkers.de (http://www.bonkers.de)
Have fun
Srek

danb
02-03-2004, 01:18 PM
:bounce: Woohoo. Thanks Srek. Were you looking at my most recent post because this is exactly what i have been trying to do. Hehehe. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Srek
02-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by danb
:bounce: Woohoo. Thanks Srek. Were you looking at my most recent post because this is exactly what i have been trying to do. Hehehe. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Not exactly, in fact it was a request by Aurety one of the Admins of French CINEMA 4D (http://www.frenchcinema4d.com) but i'm glad it can help you too :)

Cheers
Srek

Aurety
02-04-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks Srek, nice Tutorial and file... :applause:

I play with it and it looks fine for my use but is there a way to add some bounce effects after a serious "obstacle" ?? or a jump ??... without dynamics. :drool:

Please have a look on your file, I changed the ground :

xpsuspension2.zip (http://www.lev-communication.fr/fc4d/xpsuspension2.zip)

I don't understand why. :shrug:

Srek
02-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Hi Aurety,
currently dynamic reactions are in no way involved. It's only a "Stick to the ground" expression. I'll think of a way to make this more natural looking.
Cheers
Srek

Aurety
02-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi all,

Srek, did you know this Topic on frenchcinema4d.com, just for sharing informations and experiences :

Video1 - 200 ko (http://fc4d.free.fr/images/parksto_oiture.mov)
video2 - 900 ko (http://fc4d.free.fr/images/parksto_roues.mov)

I ask for the file...

For the suspension :

Parksto Experiments (http://www.frenchcinema4d.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5453)

The suspension file here ( WIP ) :
Suspension (http://fc4d.free.fr/images/souple.zip)

I hope you will find usefull or maybe can you help us to ameliore the file...

Thanks again !

Srek
02-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Aurety,
i wasn't aware of it. Realy cool work :)
I did something similar for sound files to smooth the output for later use
http://www.bonkers.de/download/xpmedsound.zip

As for the suspension there is an additional problem that renders this soulution useless for a real car suspension, the collision. A wheel will never intersect with the surface but it will bounce on it.
Thanks for the info
Srek

brammelo
02-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi Srek (or any other XPresso whizkid),

Is there a way to detect objects in an Object Manager hierarchy? For instance, if I have a cube "inside" a sphere, can I access the cube data by dragging the sphere in the XPresso editor?

Cheers,
BaRa

Srek
02-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Hi Bart,
if you know the relative position of the cube yes. You can use the reference node for this. Use the Sphere as Reference instance, set the path to "D" and the instance output will give you the first child of the sphere or any other object you drag into that object node.
Hope this helps
Srek

brammelo
02-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks Srek,

I tried to use it, but my lack of knowledge is holding me back. Perhaps you can give me a more direct hint with the following info.

As C4D doesn't allow you to extrude by using a custom spline as profile, I tried to build something that could be used as such with XPresso. Pretty simple setup: a Sweep NURBS with a path and a profile, and two instances with zero extrude for the caps.

http://users.pandora.be/laplacebara/temp/OM-screenshot.gif

The XPresso part takes care of placing the instances at the correct height.

http://users.pandora.be/laplacebara/temp/XPresso.gif

When you start with an empty structure, the XPression has no reference objects. Adding the path and profile to the Sweep NURBS should immediately produce the correct links.

I thought I could solve this by using a node that detects the objects (splines) in the Sweep NURBS hierarchy, and transfer them to the other nodes in the system. However, I don't manage to get a solution by using the reference node.

Any ideas on how to solve this - without a doubt ridiculously simple - problem?

Cheers,
BaRa

Srek
02-23-2004, 12:09 PM
You have FC mail

Cheers
Srek

rirad
02-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Select the top instance node, set reference mode to: relative reference, histoy depth to: 1, and Path to DD.

Select second instance node (connected to pad) and use the same settings except path should be: DDN.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

PS I have a related question:
One other possibility is to use the hierarchy node. This node outputs a list of objects in the hierarchy and the total number of objects found in the hierarchy.
Since all objects found are returned in one list, a connected node only sees the last node. This is kind of the same for PStrom. However, with pStorm it is possible to isolate one of the particles by the TPindex.
The question is, is it possible to isolate a specific object from an object list returned from the hierarchy node? There is no object index port so it cant be done as it can be with PStorm.
Otherwise might an object index port be a nice feature request for the hierarchy node?

Srek
02-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi,
have a look at the object index node. It's sole purpose is to give you the index of an object in an iteration.
Cheers
Srek

rirad
02-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Thanks a lot Srek, exactly what I needed. I missed this node completely. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.