PDA

View Full Version : Poly Organization

Whirlwind
06-22-2002, 07:12 PM
I've recently run into a problem that, to my knowledge, no book can solve. So, I'll reach out to my Community for answers, support and moral. Sounds kinda silly don't it. Anywho, the real problem is Poly mesh organization. Though mainly this question is directed with the game design frame of mind,(Where poly-count and mesh layout is everything) I'd honestly take any advice regarding the subject. Most of the professional, or atleast experienced modelers I've seen have all had a unified, rather pleaseing mesh format. I know all about the "Edge Loop" technique and have read many things regarding it. But what I haven't found is how to organize your mesh. The thought processes, any pre-development stages before actual modeling begins. Any advice to keep my mesh layout clean would help at this point.

Thanks a bundle,
-D

Lunatique
06-23-2002, 05:29 AM
Have you tried to do all your planning by drawing in 2D first?

One thing I've learned so far in 3D is that many methods I've learned about in the past were developed by non-aritsts. Now that there are more traditional artists getting into 3D, newer and more intuitive methods for traditional artists are popping up.

Right now, I'm using a method that combines a few different methods.

1)I do a 3/4 angle drawing of my subject, and then start mapping out the edgeloops and the main divisions int he mesh. Kinda like drawing a 2D wireframe. This way, you can make corrections easily, and you can see how your divisions flow with the shape/contour/anatomy...etc.

2)do front and side drawing and use them as image planes.

3)follow your 2D wireframe drawing as a road map, and save a lot of headache and trial/error wasted time. :D

Hope that helps. If it doesn't, I'm just a noob anyways. ;)

Whirlwind
06-23-2002, 06:22 AM
I think only a few rare people are blessed/cursed with being properly called noobs. Thanks for the advice, and I'll be sure to give it a go. I've been needing to despirately improve on my concept art before modeling (Normally I skip that phase all together. For shame on me) Anywho, I'll definately try it and see how it works.
Thanks,
-D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.