PDA

View Full Version : Still life: Birthday greeting card

Vojislav+Milanovic
01-10-2004, 08:17 AM
here is little something i'm working on as a greeting card for my girlfriend upcoming birthday. There's still things to be fixed, but i'm working on it.

http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/upload/finished/2004/01/09-694877.jpg

greets

cagey5
01-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Just on a grammatical point it should be 'where' and not were none was before.

Only a small change but that's what makes the difference right? :)

Steve Warner
01-10-2004, 03:22 PM
That's a sweet idea. :) Your models and textures look good, but your lighting is a little too even. A table that usually has a lit candle is using it as a source of atmosphere as well as illumination. But the lighting in your scene is so bright, you don't need a candle. Try dropping the light in the areas which are less important (such as the wall behind the table and spreading into the curtain in the background). I'd even let the violin (beautiful, BTW) sink into a little bit of darkness. It will help focus your eye on the things that really matter - in this case, the letter.

Keep up the good work. I hope she's surprised. :)

Steve

Vojislav+Milanovic
01-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Yeah, you're making a good point, it will add more depth. I still didn't finish all the models that i need for this, so i didn't pay much attention to lightning. Front violin body is a bit crancked, i did whole model as subdiv and those f-holes just ruin it. Soon as i add more thing i'll upload them. thanks for support

akademus

P.S. I hope she will be :rolleyes:

Willax
01-10-2004, 08:36 PM
akademus I like your concept and modelling for this. I'm sure she will too. I agree with softening up the lighting . Is the candle to focus attention towards the letter. Also not sure I understand how the violin is standing up? Good job.

Vojislav+Milanovic
01-10-2004, 08:56 PM
here's the answer about violin. i'm not sure did i fix lightning or not now (i'm quite confused). c&c needed.

http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/upload/wip/2004/01/10-767646.jpg

Willax
01-10-2004, 09:01 PM
I think with a candle in the scene, the rest of the lighting is still too intense. Your atmosphere is not being contributed to by the candle at all. It is just there for show. Try bringing down all other lighting and use the candle light (if you have one established) as your main source and then tweak up from there. You might even consider a lens flare for the candle too. Just a few thoughts.

Steve Warner
01-11-2004, 03:46 AM
I agree with Willax. The overall lighting is too strong. Try limiting the spill of light, especially the light that's falling on the wall and curtain. Also, you might want to work a little more on the surface of the rose to get a more soft, wet feel. Perhaps a little more specularity and higher glossy setting. Some water beads on it would also really help bring this to life. Also, if you don't have it turned on, you might want to check Caustics to get the reflections of light off the wine glasses. I see what you mean about the holes in the violin. If that becomes a real issue (and I don't think it should), freeze the object and correct the problem from there. Since this object won't be deforming (as a character would), there's no need to keep this as a subpatch object.

Hope this helps!

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.