PDA

View Full Version : Animating a texture via particles?

Emmortal1
01-10-2004, 03:20 AM
Ok here's the scenerio:

Lets say I have a scene with a guy standing in his driveway and he is holding a hose and cleaning his driveway off with the water. I have particles being emitted for the water but what I want is to have the shader for the surface of his dirty driveway to change as the particles flow over it washing the dirty shader away and revealing the clean driveway shader.

Is there any way to have particles effect a surfaces shader by coliding with it? I was thinking of somehow using the distanceBetween node to change the shader, but I didn't know if it would consider particles to be geometry, plus I would want the shader to stay cleaned and not go back to being dirty after the particles stopped colliding with the surface.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks,

Emmortal

Jackdeth
01-10-2004, 05:03 AM
Don't do it all in one pass. Mistake. Setup the particles so they are only visible after the first collison and then render that from a special camera looking down at the drive way. Render it white particles on back. Then use that same camera and project that render back on as a animated texture map.

And if you really want to get fancy. Use that same camera for projecting on the driveway texture (so your particle collison map and textrue maps perfectly register) and then go into after-effects and process a lens distortion to warp the driveway texture so it looks the particles are effecting the texture.

There are many different twists that can be done...I hope this gives you some ideas...

Emmortal1
01-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Cool, I'm not big with after effects, but I can pull off the same thing with Shake. I was just hoping I could pull it all off in Maya. Any other ideas for doing this in Maya? I'm all for doing it in passes, but would rather see if could be done via texture manipulation since that's what I'm focusing on.

Emmortal

Jackdeth
01-10-2004, 06:19 AM
Have the dirt on the drive way actually be small poly planes with fractual transparancy maps fadeing them off at the edges. Then use collsions or forces to "wash" the "dirt objects" from the driveway. This would be more interactive, but would require more attention to the inter object collisons though...

Or try using a 2D fluid as a texture for the drive way. I've never used them before, but it sounds like they might do the trick...

Emmortal1
01-10-2004, 06:47 AM
That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, drive some polys with a dynamic field as the particles washed over the concrete. Thanks for the help Jack.

Emm

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.