PDA

View Full Version : Robot Project

drkangldc
01-10-2004, 03:57 AM
I did this robot about two years ago. I sketched the design based on a ps2 game called Armored Core 2. I think that this is the robot on the front cover of the game. I want to post this on the gallery section, but i dont think it's really finished. Please post any comments, critiques, or ideas which could improve the composition. I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/v31/drkangldc/Robot.jpg

GlennSueznin
01-13-2004, 01:04 AM
I think this is a nice "sketch" you have...

First question: The robot IS 2D right? (Just Kiddin) What programe did you use in order to make this. Next, what did you do to give the robot a 3D effect?

Only thing I have to say about this is that if your gonna put the robot together with that image, you might want to conciter fixing up the lighting on the bot. It looks like theres a light shining on it in front while its got the fire of the city in the bg, and definatly it wouldn't be lit up like a christmas tree like that. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work and hope to see more..

drkangldc
01-13-2004, 02:05 AM
I used photoshop to do all the editing. It was really hard to color it thought because i used a pretty primitive technique to do it. I selected the uncolored areas painted them with a solid color, and then use the brush to do the shadowing. It suprises me that you think it looks 3d, i hadn't realized it myself. The post lighting to make it "blend in with background" i had done in a big rush because i wanted to show a friend of mine the image n didn't want it to look really out of place. The crappy lighting kinda makes it blend in a little better.I really have to work on it though. Hope those were the answers you where looking for. Any other questions, hints, or ideas you might have, feel free to post them. Thank you for posting.

Here is the original sketch of the robot:

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/drkangldc/Robot-Sketch.jpg

Here it is colored (before the crappy lighting : ) ):

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/drkangldc/Robot-Project.jpg

Hash!
01-13-2004, 04:14 PM
I like your robot...and the colors a nice too!...the only thing that bugs me is that the background is more detailed than the Bot.....When i first look at the image.....my eyes are attracted by the background's buildings...and not the robot.....maybe the bright colors of the BG and the dark colors of the bot give this effect.....and the difference of details too.....keep posting your updates....and your good work!

...chiao!...

georgh
01-13-2004, 07:58 PM
I like the robot .....good work.............

one thing.........I agree with Hash - I dont feel the robot fitting well with the background - the style is to different......... I like the picture alot more where the robot is standing alone.............

I would like to see it finished with the robot standing in a surrounding drawn in same style

otherwise...........looks great......

drkangldc
01-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the comments. I think you guys are right about the difference in details detracting from the image's compositional quality. I will try to fix this problem. I'm not sure what background to put him in though. can you guys please post what setting you picture this robot being in. That would help a lot. Thanks in advance.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.