PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Disney Artists Open New Cartoon Studio

AdvancedLife
01-09-2004, 09:52 PM
I don't know if anyone saw this yet...

"A number of animators fired by Disney when it closed its Florida animation studios last year have formed their own company, Legacy Animation Studios, and announced Thursday that they plan to set up shop in Winter Garden, Florida later this month. "We believe that traditionally animated films are still a viable form of entertainment," Legacy's directing manager, Eddie Pittman, said in a statement. "Our goal is to create quality animated films with compelling stories and strong characters and to continue Walt Disney's legacy of hand drawn animation."

Link to artical (http://www.showbizdata.com/contacts/picknews.cfm?id=34363)

daraand
01-09-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm still pissed about the whole Micheal Eisner deal. I pray that this studio will survive... Pray

Slurry
01-09-2004, 10:08 PM
I just posted your find in the news forum. Seemed like the appropraite place. Hope ya don't mind!

:beer:

AdvancedLife
01-09-2004, 10:33 PM
No problem, please feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

daraand
01-09-2004, 10:58 PM
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/legacy/index.htm?../articles/01092004.1.htm~contentFrame

http://www.legacyanimation.net/

here's hoping

aurora
01-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Hurray and good for them. I wish them all the best of luck and hope they do something that Disney found very difficult to do. Find good, ORIGINAL stories to work with!

DigiLusionist
01-10-2004, 01:39 AM
I wish these guys the best, too. That's great. Orlando is beautiful.

After having contacted 34 companies around the world regarding bids for traditional animated work, it seems to me an American company can compete (but only if it uses digital 2D animation software that, like 3D software, interpolates lines and automates a lot of the mundane processes.

Of course, you would still need quite a few folks to pull of a feature, but assuming they were all proficient at such software, they could probably do it competively.

Plus, with security protocols being thrown up for travel, they might have more people here wanting to stay in the US.

Mr_Smee
01-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Kind of sad seeing their site under profile. All those Disney movies! You would usually never see that kind of experience at a studio.

Most studios with that kind of experience would do there best to keep them. Great for them though. Hope they do well.

RobertoOrtiz
01-10-2004, 03:55 AM
Quote:

" Legacy Animation Studios, a new animation production studio in Orlando, Florida, opens its doors in Winter Garden, Florida, close to Orlando later this month. The studio will offer a full-range of traditional hand drawn (or 2D) animation services for film, television and commercials. Legacy was established by a group of animators and artists formerly employed by Walt Disney Feature Animation Florida. Legacy will also be dedicated to developing original properties for television and film. In time the studio hopes to produce its first feature film project. "

>>Link<< (http://www.animationartist.com/2004/01_jan/news/legacy_launched.htm)

-R

RockinAkin
01-10-2004, 04:41 AM
God bless those guys...
Heres hoping for the best of luck and success for them.
:beer:

js33
01-10-2004, 09:22 AM
I wish them luck as well but personally I feel that handdrawn 2D is a dead format. Which is why Disney had to close the studio down in the first place. If it hadn't been for Pixar Disney would have died a lot sooner.

Cheers,
JS

bentllama
01-10-2004, 10:07 AM
bon chance mes ami!

:beer: :thumbsup:

Goggle
01-10-2004, 05:08 PM
bonne chance mes amis !

daraand
01-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Clasky-Csupo survives a ton off sponge bob (just to name one) :p

aazimkhan
01-10-2004, 05:51 PM
they`ll do fine, disney was just running out of good stories to tell, it has nothing to do with 2d, 3d or live action film.

they simply didnt have anymore stories to tell, why blame the mode of delivery ie; 2d, 3d, live action.

Nemoid
01-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Good luck to these guys!

break the rules.

FloydBishop
01-11-2004, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by agentJ
Clasky-Csupo survives a ton off sponge bob (just to name one) :p

They don't do Spongebob.

And what's more:

"From The Rumor Mill... Klasky Csupo, America's favorite animation studio run by Communists (I'm kidding folks), is apparently not doing so well nowadays. Rumor has it that their staff has dwindled to around 30 people, and that they're moving from their fancy digs on Sunset Blvd back into their old studio on Highland and Fountain. The Sunset building, which they had opened only a few short years ago, will be leased out to other businesses. Outside of the RUGRATS spin-off ALL GROWN UP and THE IMMIGRANTS (mentioned in yesterday's news), my source tells me that there's not much happening there in terms of production. Perhaps the biggest indicator of how bad things have gotten at Klasky Csupo is that director/designer mainstay Igor Kovalyov is leaving the studio this month. He had been with Klasky since he emigrated from Russia in the early-'90s."

Source: Animation Blast

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.