PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help? max has eatin my entry!

ninjacore
01-09-2004, 09:47 PM
no idea if any of u guys can help, but i seem to have lost my golden axe model i have been building! i did some work on it and wanted to revert back to my last Save. when i did this i recieved the "application has encoutered a problem. it will now close" message.

i managed to salvage the head and axe by merging into a new file. the body (legs and arms included) seems to be the root of this error, because it wont merge.

i'm truly gutted if thats it gone forever.

if this thread should be in the Tech problems area, by all means move it.

Supervlieg
01-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Check the last file in your autoback folder inside your max install folder. Unless you turned it off, it should have a fairly recent autosave in it. The files are usually called autobak1.max or something similar.

BoBo-the-seal
01-09-2004, 10:11 PM
also turn on view all files as there are some hidden entries that might be recoverable.

- BoBo

ninjacore
01-09-2004, 10:25 PM
i just tried the last autoback file and the program just immediatly shuts off with no warning message..

bobo, what do you mean by view all files? as in, view all in folder?

by the looks of it, i think i might have to remodel this..

cris castro
01-09-2004, 11:07 PM
.it happen to me too and i had to remodel

eMPeck
01-09-2004, 11:19 PM
You should configure keyboard shortcut for incremental saving, and use it from time to time. I have set Shift+Alt+S for inc. save and it's very handy (and saves a lot of time). While file corruption You can still return to previous versions. Max like to crash very much :(

ninjacore
01-10-2004, 12:04 AM
well i've treid a few more times. its gone! i spoke to a freind of mine on msn who use max for game mods, and he couldnt get the file opened. godamn max!

but i've started remodelling anyway. heres hoping it turns out better or something!

i usally file>save every so often and before i do any major things. i'll try the incremental saving tho, that sounds good!

thanks!:)

Vahl
01-10-2004, 09:28 AM
bobo is right, there are 3 .mx files (turn view all files to see them) in the autoback folder, they are used when max does his autosaves (I think it is every 25 minutes or so, but can be set up) max rotates between those 3 files so if you've done nothing in max after loosing your model it may still be in one of these files.

Supervlieg
01-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ninjacore
i just tried the last autoback file and the program just immediatly shuts off with no warning message..

bobo, what do you mean by view all files? as in, view all in folder?

by the looks of it, i think i might have to remodel this..

try one of the other two autoback files in that folder. Might set you back more than the last save, but it saves some work.

modeling-man
01-10-2004, 10:52 PM
try xrefing the scene into a new scene...or perhaps merging it.

sometimes its just an object in the file that is corrupt and sometimes a cleanslate will correct it.
B

ninjacore
01-13-2004, 01:09 PM
woops, forgot to reply to you guys...

the other 2 autoback files were of scenes used AFTER the problem happened when i was trying to fix it. i should have thought more carefully. i will know next time though!

Xrefing didnt work either. it just proved the same as mergeing. it sems the Body object was corrupt.

anyway, i've began remodelling, and Hopefully it will turn out better. i got a few tweaks to do and it should be back to where i left off.

thanks guys.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.