PDA

View Full Version : My new Flash Site (Inprogress)

mindstate7
01-09-2004, 03:37 PM
www.digital-gigolo.com (http://www.digital-gigolo.com)

Hey all,

I have just finished my new site. I am a novice in flash, so it is pretty basic but I would like to get some opinions on the overall feel of the site. There are actually two parts to teh site. One called "Select Original" which is a new installment and I am just posting new work there. The other is my old portfolio site which has more imagery and older versions of woork.

I think it is not as developed as it could be, so please, any crits would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a ton in advance

jrwells
01-13-2004, 07:57 AM
I think that the site looks really cool, all the illistrations and graphics are top shelf. I only had a few minutes to explore around the site, but at first I found it a little difficult to navigate, which might have been your intention, I know that a lot of flash designers try to engage the viewer by foring them to move the mouse around the screen and discover the buttons for themselves, but if that was not your intention I would work on that. Personally I don't like this tactic, it bothers me and I don't like to spend much time viewing a site that makes it a puzzle to move around, but that is just a personal opinion.

The only major complaint that I have is that after a few minutes of navigating I had a whole series of boxes to close to get back to cgtalk. I tend to follow the phillosiphy that flash is supposed to be interactive and dynamic, and when you set it to open an extra box outside the original movie, it inturrupts the fluidity of flash and I personally feel that is a little tacky, or you could not resolve a transition from one page to the next without opening a new box.

dez
01-13-2004, 09:03 AM
hey mindstate7,

i used to make the same mistake as you for the index page with the requirements of the site. Your requirements and the link to download flash in done in flash, therefore if a visitor has no flash installed, they will not be able to view it and won't know where to download the plugin.

For your site, i dislike the fact that you made each link as a new popup being that your site is a popup already. Well.. thats just my personal opinion. And as an addition.. each layout is different for different links... for my taste i like sites to be consistant or in a sense, but not entirely. Also, for the "main page" all the designs is made in photoshop i presume? Or any kind of graphics software except for the links, it kind of defects the purpose of making it flash, or you have your reasons in doing so, i dunno...

hope i didn't offend you in anyway.

cheers.
dez.

mindstate7
01-13-2004, 03:34 PM
THESE ARE SOME GREAT CRITS GUYS! THE BEST SO FAR!! thans you so much for taking the time to do this. I guess I used the popup style becasue I wanted to make it easy to see multiple things on teh screen, but now that you say this, I believe this may of been a long approach. There are two sections in the website and I think my first one (The simon looking one) is intentionally to be popups on different parts of the screen so that the viewer can look at my contact info and my work at the same time. I can see how that this is wrong. I think I was trying to make my site so different then the others that it distracted me from making the site functional..

Heres an idea, and I would like to know what you think. I want to keep the select original page the same with just text links, should I just replace the screen instead of making a new window????

Thanks again y'all!!

Glowfinger
01-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Your graphic are sublime. But you could of done this all with html my advice is to buy a teach yourself flash book. Take a look at this website favoritewebsiteawards.com (http://www.favoritewebsiteawards.com/home.html) and it will show you what your up against and that you don't really have limitations. But for a first attempt it's alright, pop-up are rubbish a the best of times, banish them from your next attempt.

Scott Harris
01-13-2004, 08:32 PM
its a nice site but i have the same problem with it... too many pop ups... really good art though!

mindstate7: how do you get your windows to be non-scalable in flash?

dez
01-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Glowfinger
pop-up are rubbish a the best of times, banish them from your next attempt.

My apologies if i got the wrong idea of what you were saying, but i will reply as the way i see it means. -correct me if i got the wrong idea.

well.. i disagree that popups are rubbish, i'm a person who used to make my sites in resized popups, but i still enjoy doing so and will use it again if the design sees fit. However having too many popups one after the other is abit... um... i dunno.. going too far?

Its just a matter of taste really, you can't statisfy every visitor or designer...

mindstate7
01-14-2004, 04:47 AM
WoW! These comments are great!!! Thank you all for the information. It seems that the popups are quite the issue. ALthough I would like to have them come up, I do agree that I have overused them a bit. I think I cant cut the amount down by half and will do so tomorrow.

To make a popup window without the scrollbar I used this flashcode on the downstate of the link:

getURL("javascript:var newWin=window.open('rbramwellsite.html','Win2','width=720,height=720,top=175,left=300, scrollbars=0')")

'rbramwellsite.html' is the name of the page and 'Win2' is the name of the window I am opening. I had to change this for every different window that I needed to open.

I hope this helps. I need to learn more flash, I know.

Thanks again all for the great comments. I am definately learning quite a bit.

mindstate7
01-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks again for all the input thus far. I have elliminated a lot of the windows, so there wont be as many popups. I am still using the popups though for specific pieces of work and am developing a new section and new style logo for the site.

Can anyone help me with this code??/

_parent.gotoandStop("name")

I am using it is the site to make a button go to a specific lable of the timeline. It seems to work in the software but not when I pload it. (Loook in "Select ORIGINAL" logo under "aint ife grand" link.

Has anyone come across this problem, or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks

dez
01-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by mindstate7
Can anyone help me with this code??/

_parent.gotoandStop("name")

I am using it is the site to make a button go to a specific lable of the timeline. It seems to work in the software but not when I pload it. (Loook in "Select ORIGINAL" logo under "aint ife grand" link.

Has anyone come across this problem, or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks

I don't seem to find or see that very problem your talking about,
but in flash, when i give a button an action such as the go to and stop/play action;

on (release) {
gotoAndStop("substitutions");
}

(note: you will have to select "frame label" in the "type drop down" also don't forget to label your Frame in properties)

Hope that helps, though i am unclear of your situation....

"_parent.gotoandStop("name")" <-- is that for a txt link action?

LittleFenris
01-24-2004, 01:45 AM
I agree completely with the others about the popups being annoying, especially in a flash based site. The select section is a bit hard to read what the titles are...I had to really try to read each one to see if I wanted to watch it or not. Your art and motion design is top notch, but the site definitely needs some tweaking. I think the "look" is nice, just the navigation and usability need some redoing. I've never heard of this Ten network, but like it already. ;)

mindstate7
01-26-2004, 08:07 PM
thanks again all. I have made some more chages to the intro per your recommendations. Specifically, loader, and easier accesibilities..

Do you all think its getting better??? (As far as interactivity)

thanks again

LittleFenris
01-26-2004, 08:29 PM
One thing I would suggest is trying to keep the "Main Page" button in a pretty consistent place on screen. It took me a bit to find it in the contact section. Potential employers don't have time to hunt around a site to navigate. Just a thought. Plus, as I said, the Select section is very hard to read.

jrwells
01-27-2004, 05:23 AM
I think it is looking much better. I actually took the time to look into your work a bit more, and some of that stuff is freaking hilarious, great job, you have a real eye for layout, cheers.

Problems I noticed, with some of your pictures that open there own window (I have no problem with this, aslong as it is a single picture with no further links, I think it is cool) you have the automatic window sized too big, specifically the link to Different Shell and Speak No Evil, possibly more, but I did not look. Try to remember that most people use 1024x786 monitors and you have to account for the top tool bars as well, so the problem is that I cannot see the bottoms of the works and I don't know how much larger they are.

Other than that, I agree with the comment that most of this could be done in HTML, but that does not mean it has to. I like that you are using flash to navigate, but not counting on it to be overly motion driven, while you could use a little more motion graphics, I think you have done a good job keeping the extra fluff to a minimum.

The only other comment that I can throw out, and this is not nesseccary, is that it would be nice if you could find a way to intigrate the quicktime movies into the original page, something simple like having a view screen pop up on one side of the page and play the movie. It might be pretty time consuming if you don't already know how, but if you threw that in with a small preloader I think it would look top notch.

Great work so far, I think you have come a long way from the first time I saw it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.