PDA

View Full Version : 3D Awards 2004 Announced!

Leonard
01-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Hi all,

It's that time of the year once again folks! Entries are now being accepted for the 2nd Annual International 3D Awards, our industry's largest and pre-eminent awards. Entries close on 29 February 2004, with judging to happen in Los Angeles and London in March - April and the awards ceremony held on the evening of 5th May 2004 at the 3D Festival in Copenhagen, Denmark - Europe's largest 3D event.

Last year, CGNetworks ran the 3D Awards, which attracted over 700 entries worldwide. All Oscar nominated feature films were present at the 3D Awards, and over half a million people worldwide were exposed to the 3D Awards. Once again, we are running these awards in conjuction with the 3D Festival and Gnomon School of Visual Effects to bring you the 2nd Annual International 3D Awards.

Awards will be given in the following categories:
- Feature Film Visual Effects
- Animated Feature Film
- Television Visual Effects
- Commercials
- Music Videos
- Short Films
- Logos and Idents
- 3D Game of the Year
- Game Cinematics (non-interactive)
- Technological Innovation
- Design Visualization / Industrial Design
- Architectural Visualization (Animation)
- Architectural Visualization (Still)
- Student 3D Animation
- 3D Art (Still)

>> 3D Awards 2004 << (http://www.3dawards.org/)

Last year's 3D Awards Nominees and Winners (http://www.3dawards.org/2003/report/)

http://www.3dawards.org/2004/images/3dawards_splash.jpg

CGmonkey
01-09-2004, 02:06 PM
29 february O_o I'll never have time to finish what I started for the last years 3D Awards! Damnit..

Nah but 3d Awards was great! Hope it'll be atleast half as good as last year!

vfx fan
01-09-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm embarassed to say I've never heard of the 3D Awards (at least not until I saw that link up above), which is a surprise to myself because I am familiar with VES Awards, which also started last year.

No matter, the only categories I really pay attention to in any of these vfx awards is Best Feature Film Visual Effects and Technical Innovation...and possibly 3D Game of the Year. (Though I pay attention to most categories in the VES Awards, except maybe for the TV-show categories.)

My favorite award "ceremony" was the VFXHQ Awards, which only lasted two years. :sad: Still, the nomination board sure knew what they were doing. ;)

rquinn
01-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Is anyone up for a 3d award?
can a nobody get one?
i mean so long as their still or anim is worth it?
too bad their not televised like the oscars

btw who did those statues?
nice job

Scott Harris
01-09-2004, 05:51 PM
yeah... I almost forgot about this...
...this is great.

PixelShader
01-09-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm left speechless that you have not heard of the 3D Awards. It was publicized and mentioned all over the web and industry magazines last year!

The 3D Awards is the biggest awards in the industry. Before the 3D Awards, it was called the 3D Festival awards. Last year, CGNetworks got involved in organising the 3D Festival (now its 6th year) and they turned the awards into the International 3D Awards. It was massive. You should have seen CGTalk after the winners were announced, there were literally over 900 people online at once talking about it! (look at the record for the Most People Online - it was on 12 May, just after the 3D Awards).

Read the report from last year - all the Oscar nominees were there. Fire up Sega Animanium and you'll see their digital hero trophy on startup. All the major magazines like 3D World, Edge, and websites like Slashdot reported about the 3D Awards - this is huge guys.

Also, the 3D Awards is MUCH bigger than the VES awards. The VES Awards is made specifically for the VISUAL EFFECTS market which includes practical/non digital work. The 3D Awards covers everything 3D: TV, Film, Games, Commercials, Architectural Visualization, Student work, Short Films.

The 3D Awards and VES awards will prbably never be televised as they are too niche. Our industry is too small for this stuff to appear on TV, due to the cost of getting it on air.

You should also try looking for the previous 3D World interview with the founder, Leonard Teo (the guy who started CGTalk, CGNetworks, EXPOSE'), it was really down-to-earth and shows that the 3D Awards really is made by CG people for CG people.

Geoff

Side_FX
01-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Some Day my friend some day...;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.