PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 Game model

RenderStream
01-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Made this for an upcomming hl2 mod.

http://ashley.planetgeko.com/~renderst/4images/data/media/3/ak47.jpg http://ashley.planetgeko.com/~renderst/4images/data/media/3/ak472.jpg

spm
01-08-2004, 10:18 PM
why doesnt anyone texture the weapons they make?

RenderStream
01-08-2004, 10:35 PM
because we have other artists who do that.

Neil
01-08-2004, 10:47 PM
i think what spm is asking is kinda rhetorical too...
why not just post the model after you have some textures on it too?

RenderStream
01-09-2004, 01:33 AM
beause then, it wouldnt be totally my work. Im sure you guys can comment on the modelling?

Of course, once a member of the team gets the texture version done, i will post it here (youy dont need to worry about that!)

JDinges
01-09-2004, 02:05 AM
Helps to have a wire so we can see the modeling flow. And how many polys?

Dennispls
01-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Halflife 2 can handle a lot more polies then you put on that thing

even halflife1 uses more
use more polies and look at more pictures and try detailing your model some more.

if you want i can give you some pictures and a model i made for reference

pm me if you please
greetz

Fish-MD
01-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by spm
why doesnt anyone texture the weapons they make?

the simple answer is because they can't.

And by "we have other ppl to do that" it means they dont have the skills to do the texturing themselves and teh skinners say "we can't model cuz some1 else does it for us"

ur model is simple, nothing special, its just a gun...and a bad one for that. Way off proportions. Get better ref.

RenderStream
01-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Yes the above poster is correct. At this time, i do not think i have enough knowledge or experience to texture this model.

But uhm.. off proportions? i think not. Perhaps you should go take a look at some reference pictures for yourself.

http://ashley.planetgeko.com/~renderst/a.jpg

SidewinderX143
01-10-2004, 12:30 AM
well, the barrle look like you're firing a .45 caliber round, not a 7.62mm round. That needs to be fixed.

Those indents you have are far to large.

The part aboce the barrel is too flat in yours.

And the magazine looks horribly destroyed.....

otherwise, a decent start to a modle... but why show us that side? Unless it's for a lefty, the player will see the other side in-game...

RenderStream
01-10-2004, 01:56 AM
The other side is the exact same. I will work on detailing the gun/

Miroku
01-10-2004, 02:00 AM
For starters...

What is with the bending, extruded looking geometry on the side of the receiver?

The Magazine could use a few more polys to smooth it out and you also need to match it to your reference better.

You have too many polys in the 'forearm furniture' you can merge some of the verts on top of and below the holes you have carved out.

There is an awkward horizontal split in the grip.

You need a bolt and chamber on the right side of the weapon if you are going to do any cool reload animations.

You need to make the magazine release latch on the underside of the trigger guard.

I'd recommend playing some America's Army and check out their AK-74SU to see the receiver. It's pretty on the money as far as details go.

Hope this helps.

Pizza
01-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Last time i looked at my ak-47 i didnt remember seeing all that jagged section on the receiver area.

*grin*

RenderStream
01-10-2004, 04:13 AM
thank you for your replies, your critiques are well taken, and will be included in future updates,

Fish-MD
01-10-2004, 05:47 PM
heres what wrong with it.

The reciever is off, way off. It dosent have any sort of bevels or extrusions. Its basicaly a box that rounded at the top. U need the ejector port stuck in there, the rear sights r missing, the front sight is done wrong (its a semicircle with a box in the middle). There is a safety switch on the reciever, which is probably what ur trying to make with the extrusion, but its thinner and it moves on a pivot. Theres also some small details missing.

kained
01-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Fish is right the reciever doesn't have the indentations on it.

That area is for the ejector port on the front section, with a switch behind it. If i remember it isn't the safety but rather a selector for semi or automatic fire, it's position affects the recoil and pick up of a new round. The safety is near the trigger and blocks the trigger depressing. Then again its been a few years.

Dennispls
01-11-2004, 10:46 AM
its probably not right to post stuff i made in someone elses topic but im just doing it for him to see

heres the ak47 i made some time ago
(probably not 100% right)

http://home.zonnet.nl/g.griesheimer/ak471.jpg
http://home.zonnet.nl/g.griesheimer/ak472.jpg
just to give you a general idea
i still have the reference pictures for you

greetz
Dennis

Miroku
01-11-2004, 07:35 PM
I wonder how many people think that the chamber/ejector is on the left vs. how many people know that its on the right but put it on the left anyways because "it looks cooler." I think everyone should put it on the right.

Dennispls
01-11-2004, 08:18 PM
your totally right
but i made this model for counterstrike and because of the default animationsets i mirrored it to the left
and it looks nicer ingame
but your right:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.