PDA

View Full Version : Particle Flow Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

PsychoSilence
09-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi Anselm, i did not read all the thread but i'm watching your videos and i read that you're producing a DVD about the tool box, are you going to sell this dvd? there is a release date?

tanks...

Dear Lawless,
you are right. Im making a DVD right now and it will be sold though TurboSquid. It will be a double DVD feature actually that will be sold as a bundle with a little discount and separate. the first DVD covers box#3 1.5 on beginner and medium level and 6 general/box#1 tutorials (how ever this topic is covered well already by others :) ) . the second DVD covers box#2, some little RayFire (just 5 videos, again this is covered well on the product website already, no need to do things twice) and newer features in Krakatoa 1.5.X (like KCMs and voxel rendering hopefully :D thats the part im recording right now...).

so far the plans for splitting it up...theres no release date yet but i hope it will be shortly after completion (hopefully in 2-3 weeks)

kind regards,
Anselm

PsychoSilence
09-25-2009, 09:52 PM
http://vimeo.com/6757009

Teaser Tutorial for the second DVD.

This is a teaser for my upcoming training DVD on the Particle Flow Toolboxes 1,2 and 3 in 3D Studio Max. A tutorial about achieving concave Soft Body collision which is not possible using PhysX and particles normally. So hereīs the proof of concept that it IS in fact possible. Because thatīs just ho we "roll" literally: Not possible is not an option.

And a big thanks to John! :wavey:

kind regards,
Anselm

CHRiTTeR
09-26-2009, 10:03 AM
It's a slow day here, so I decided to dig out an old scene of mine to see if I can give it a touch up now that my scripting/math skills are more up to speed (all vanilla max, cuz plugins are 'spensive ;) ):

http://noouch.de/video/progplant_new_01.mov

The 1 year old version:

http://noouch.de/video/progplant1_test1.mov

max file max file max file!! :D

JohnnyRandom
09-26-2009, 04:54 PM
And a big thanks to John! :wavey:

Haha, thanks but your version looks much better than mine! :D

Looking forward to seeing your DVD set ;) :)

PsychoSilence
09-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Haha, thanks but your version looks much better than mine! :D

Looking forward to seeing your DVD set ;) :)

almost there! 6 more box2 tutorials to record still an eventually some bonus KCM stuff (but i gotta get better at that first :D )

I still need a catchy title btw!!! i say the winner gets a free copy :) I have no better thoughts then "thinking outside the box with the toolboxes" or such crappy titles but thats not cool enough :D :beer:

irwit
09-26-2009, 06:06 PM
"thinking inside the box" :thumbsup:

PsychoSilence
09-26-2009, 06:14 PM
"thinking inside the box" :thumbsup:

Thoughts of a box insider. << very poetic, my mother would love this! ;)

Wicked
09-26-2009, 06:15 PM
[...]
I still need a catchy title btw!!! i say the winner gets a free copy :) I have no better thoughts then "thinking outside the box with the toolboxes" or such crappy titles but thats
Good idea! :D
So, just to be sure I come up with an appropriate title, the plugins you're gonna discuss are:

Box #1(.5?)
Box #2
Box #3
Rayfire
Krakatoa
... right?

It will be a double DVD feature actually that will be sold as a bundle with a little discount and separate. the first DVD covers box#3 1.5 on beginner and medium level and 6 general/box#1 tutorials (how ever this topic is covered well already by others :) ) . the second DVD covers box#2, some little RayFire (just 5 videos, again this is covered well on the product website already, no need to do things twice) and newer features in Krakatoa 1.5.X (like KCMs and voxel rendering hopefully :D thats the part im recording right now...).
Hopefully I can come up with a cool title! :lightbulb

Piflik
09-26-2009, 06:36 PM
hmm...

'Dots and Boxes'
'Become a Boxer'
'Boxing for Beginners'
'Screening the Blackbox'
'The Box Office'
'Jack in three Boxes'

PsychoSilence
09-26-2009, 07:07 PM
So, just to be sure I come up with an appropriate title, the plugins you're gonna discuss are:

Box #1(.5?)
Box #2
Box #3
Rayfire
Krakatoa

thats correct :)

keep em coming, guys!

Airflow
09-26-2009, 07:26 PM
PFBoxed
ParticleFlow: ToolBox
ParticleFlow 3 (as in squared)
BoxFlow
ParticleFlow: Building Fx with Boxes
PF: Box/Cloud/Flame
PFXBOX

Piflik
09-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Some more boxes ;)

'A boxful'
'Brain Box'
'It does(n't) Box easily'
'Box of assorted particles'
'The sharpest tool in the box'
'Life is like a box of particles - but now you know what you're gonna get' (mybe a tad long...;))

Bobo
09-26-2009, 08:50 PM
PFlow - In and Outside The Box

JohnnyRandom
09-26-2009, 08:58 PM
"Welcome to the Sandbox" and you thought building sandcastles was fun :)

The twelve step series that guides your though your particle fx apprenticeship.

Step 1 an introduction to a particle junkies toolbox

Step 2 mapping and motion

Step 3 dynamics is fun

Step 4 what the F**K is a vector?

Step 5 why I have started drinking so much?

Step 6 You thought a million particles was a lot

Step 7 I'm going through withdrawals, how to deal with all those partilces

Step 8 infinite loops

Step 9 Putting it all together

Step 10 Blowing it all up

Step 11 Mastering the data op

Step 12 Do it all again :D

PsychoSilence
09-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Hah, John, u made my day!

So, itīs on! You can mail your suggestion to dvd-name@3delicious.de and i will collect the already made suggestions in this thread manually (so we don't spam the thread for pages eventually). Of course PM always works too :)

I say contest ends October 10th so 2 full weeks (14days) from today. Winning entry earns the full package (both DVDs). And please quality not quantity :D I didnt say just one suggestion per user but don't submit 100 in high hopes you land the one hit :)

kind regards,
Anselm, the dude with the 2 DVDs, 1 idea and 0 name for it.

jigu
09-27-2009, 05:27 AM
LOL I was thinking the same and was about to ask if final suggestions will get the DVD in a prize. :D

The one Bobo suggested was in my mind last night as "PFlow : Out from the box".

1. 3Delicious : PflowBoxes
2. Particleflow : Boxing with Psycho (slience) :D
3. Intercollision FX with Particles
4. Particle flow Dance

Glacierise
09-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Or something along the lines of 'Unboxing your new powers' :) Or 'It truly rocks inside the box ' :D Or 'Mind-boggling box-fondling'. Ok, that last one sounds R-rated :D Or maybe 'Pro-league box-ing' or 'Out of the box, into the wild' or 'What's in the box, will rock your socks' heh :) This is fun!

loran
09-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Hey Anselm, try this :)
"Pee-Flow in the box"

amckay
09-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I agree with Loran, pee-flow 'fun with pee'!

PartiallyFrozen
09-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Hah, John, u made my day!

So, itīs on! You can mail your suggestion to dvd-name@3delicious.de and i will collect the already made suggestions in this thread manually (so we don't spam the thread for pages eventually). Of course PM always works too :)

I say contest ends October 10th so 2 full weeks (14days) from today. Winning entry earns the full package (both DVDs). And please quality not quantity :D I didnt say just one suggestion per user but don't submit 100 in high hopes you land the one hit :)

kind regards,
Anselm, the dude with the 2 DVDs, 1 idea and 0 name for it.

I am planning on making a DVD!! Its called "3D Tutorial DVDs: The Tutorial".

Chapters will include!:

Chapter 1: Figure out your subject
Chapter 2: Make things that relate to the subject
Chapter 3: Buy the coolest looking headset ever.
Chapter 4: Put on the coolest headset ever.
Chapter 5: Stair at screen.
Chapter 6: Put it all on hold for 6 months due to project at work taking all your time.
Chapter 7: Talk....a lot.
Chapter 8: Make a cover then Burn DVD
Chapter 9: Get half your money taken from TurboSquid
Chapter 10: Realize you just made a DVD that is now outdated.
Chapter 11: Goto Chapter 1

It's going to retail for 1000$ and have bonus features such as a ton of freeware screen recording software on it.

PreOrder for the DVD will start NOW! you can send me cash in a sock via postal service.

Enjoy,
Mark

P.S. Ansi's DVD will be wicked good...super serial. Also, this post is TOTALLY a joke...for those who don't read it that way...XOXO + a Snuggle.

irwit
09-28-2009, 07:06 PM
I am planning on making a DVD!! Its called "3D Tutorial DVDs: The Tutorial".

Chapters will include!:

Chapter 1: Figure out your subject
Chapter 2: Make things that relate to the subject
Chapter 3: Buy the coolest looking headset ever.
Chapter 4: Put on the coolest headset ever.
Chapter 5: Stair at screen.
Chapter 6: Put it all on hold for 6 months due to project at work taking all your time.
Chapter 7: Talk....a lot.
Chapter 8: Make a cover then Burn DVD
Chapter 9: Get half your money taken from TurboSquid
Chapter 10: Realize you just made a DVD that is now outdated.
Chapter 11: Goto Chapter 1

It's going to retail for 1000$ and have bonus features such as a ton of freeware screen recording software on it.

PreOrder for the DVD will start NOW! you can send me cash in a sock via postal service.

Enjoy,
Mark

P.S. Ansi's DVD will be wicked good...super serial. Also, this post is TOTALLY a joke...for those who don't read it that way...XOXO + a Snuggle.

thuper therial you guys !

JohnnyRandom
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
^lol :)...

PeteDraper
09-29-2009, 05:34 PM
^^ story of my life (replace "turbo squid" with "elsevier" and "half" with "majority of")

pete

JohnnyRandom
10-04-2009, 06:06 PM
FYI Particle Flow Freebies for 2010 are out :thumbsup:

Thanks once again Oleg!

Glacierise
10-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Guys you gotta see that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

Slow mo bullet impacts, very thorough and very interesting!

irwit
10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Thats amazing ! Nice find and cheers for sharing :thumbsup:

TwiiK
10-09-2009, 09:45 AM
You would think the obnoxious text was there for him to sell the videos on his site, but I can find anything there.

Great video though, although perhaps not so useful as a reference unless you're actually doing a super slow-mo shot yourself. :)

Entertaining to watch at least.

Every shot should be extended at least a couple of seconds in my mind. I wonder if it's technical limitations that forces him to make each shot so short or just personal preferences.

JohnnyRandom
10-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Good find! that is just sweet ref material ;) Those glass impacts were way cool (around 3:15)

PsychoSilence
10-10-2009, 06:26 PM
another good one to check out is lucidmovement.com :)

today is the last day of the DVD naming :) thanks to all contributers!

kind regards,
Anselm

JonathanFreisler
10-12-2009, 04:10 AM
I go on holidays for two weeks and miss out on all the fun!

Nice find Hristo, I'm so bored at work I might just watch it all.

BTW, I know some of you guys worked on it but 5 mins of heavy 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxBYItj2sM) VFX action (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxBYItj2sM).

FX blew me away, there pretty impressive.

kogden
10-12-2009, 12:52 PM
O wow....it made my wanna cry with excitement :O great job to you dude that worked on it!

Thanks for the link Jon!

loran
10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
very very nice VFX! I heard many of VFX was done with 3dsmax with Rayfire and FumeFx.
The script looks hmmm... as stupid as the VFX are amazing :)
Followed by a EarthQuake ! lol

jussing
10-12-2009, 02:21 PM
very very nice VFX! I heard many of VFX was done with 3dsmax with Rayfire and FumeFx.
Followed by a EarthQuake ! lolPropably true, as the VFX were distributed over many VFX houses, as with Day After Tomorrow, but A LOT of the destruction is done with german Cebas's VolumeBreaker and rendered with finalRender release 3, which was developed for the film. And I agree, it looks awesome.

- Jonas

SoLiTuDe
10-12-2009, 06:44 PM
The first 1/2 of that preview was all done with max (everything before the airport). It was done mostly using max with Thinking Particles, and Fume, rendered with Final Render. The houses were cut with the help of rayfire, and Volume Breaker, though I'd say for the most part we had to do a lot of cutting by hand, and then used volumebreaker for the majority of everything else. The second half (airport -> end) was done by Digital Domain.

jlelievre
10-12-2009, 06:50 PM
I am curious to find out more about Volume Breaker; they only have 1 or 2 videos on there site which really doesn't show much as to how the tool actually works... similar to Rayfire I am guessing?

PS - Solitude; you back in Cali now?

JohnnyRandom
10-12-2009, 07:45 PM
VolumeBreaker is a procedural modifier. Other certainly have much more experience with than I do. You add it to your geometry and decide how you would like to fracture, either by gizmo, map, or mesh. It, IMO is still pretty fledgling and certainly worth the introductory price, so if you are planning on getting it do it before the price increase.

It plays really well with rayfire and Box#2, better with Box#2 than thinking particles at this stage believe it or not. With the Birth Group operator you do not need to create separate meshes as you do with TP to get them into the system. You can tweak vB and then just update the birth group and its done, in tp I find myself having to re-fracture to objects then refresh the particle to object. tp4 is supposed to have some vB nodes so we'll see if that fixes it. Maybe someone else knows of a better workflow.

It lacks a few things that I think would do it justice:

Needs a better more usable gizmo, it sucks A-- like it is.

An interactive on/off update button. Heavy meshes can take forever to update if you fatfinger some settings.

Falloff control for the gizmo so you fracture only part of the mesh instead of the whole thing, easily worked around by using scapel (of which is included). still be nice with falloff control though.

SoLiTuDe
10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
^^ Yeah Back in Cali now, lookin' for work. Was nice workin with you!

^Johnny -- yeah everything you said is pretty much right, but it plays really well with TP and especially with tp4 (but I can't say anything), and you don't need it to be separate meshes either... in fact that's something tp does really well with it's fragment operator... you can take one p2obj, pipe that group into the fragment operator, and it'll split up the objects elements for you into separate particles (can trigger sections to break off with lights). As for the update, I usually don't have any issues, I can keep the modifier on the object, and then just reset my tp (go to frame 0) and it usually updates just fine. :D

JohnnyRandom
10-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Dude, cool, thanks, totally makes sense! Why the F that didn't occur to me :hmm: I was trying to find a better workflow for it but the info is so limited for the time being, there is literally no tp integration info (even in the help file) other than what I picked up from Matt at sig.

jigu
10-13-2009, 04:24 AM
Sorry for going a bit offtopic in Pflow thread, I was just wondering if they used max then what renderer they used, How did they lighting in the scene and what technique to render out final sequence?

PsychoSilence
10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Sorry for going a bit offtopic in Pflow thread, I was just wondering if they used max then what renderer they used, How did they lighting in the scene and what technique to render out final sequence?

Im sure there will be plenty of making of specials online once the movie is out :)

SoLiTuDe
10-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Im sure there will be plenty of making of specials online once the movie is out :)

Yeah, but like the one that's out right now, I doubt there will actually be any real info. :D

Jigu, if you go back a few posts, you'll see that for the first half of the 5min preview (The Limo portion) we used Thinking Particles, FumeFX, RayFire, Volume Breaker, and Final Render... as for the technique, I didn't do much lighting, so I'm just taking a wild guess at my memory here, I'm pretty sure it was 90% Physical Sun/Sky with AQMC or whatever it is, then in some cases use of hdr and/or other lights when needed. We also rendered many, many elements/passes into exrs, so the compositors had a lot of stuff to work with...

PsychoSilence
10-13-2009, 05:19 PM
HAHA! True that! Unless the making of is written by people who worked with the assembled toolsets ;)

back to topic...

jussing
10-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah, but like the one that's out right now, I doubt there will actually be any real info.Yea, that's usually the deal with "making of" material.

I just saw the extra material for Pirates 2 & 3 and Matrix 2 & 3, and it's all penis measuring. "Our set was so and so big", "It's huge", "It's never been done before", bla bla bla bla bla.

On a sidenote, thought, the British 2-disc Day After Tomorrow DVD contains a one-hour documentary of THE BEST "visual effects making of" material I have ever seen. Just pure bliss for VFX geeks. Particle passes. Wireframes. Work in progress. Tech stuff.

- Jonas

jigu
10-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the info guys. This can be completely different discussion in separate thread . :)

PsychoSilence
10-16-2009, 03:05 AM
Not sure if this website was introduced here in the past but its useful:

http://www.extremeloading.com/CaseStudies.aspx (http://www.extremeloading.com/CaseStudies.aspx)

Extreme LoadingŪ for Structures (ELS) software allows structural engineers to study the 3D behavior of structures throughout all of the stages of loading, including static loads and dynamic loads such as those generated by blasts, seismic events, impacts and wind loads. Utilizing its non-linear Applied Element Method (AEM) (http://www.appliedelementmethod.com/) solver, ELS is able to analyze structural behavior during elastic and inelastic modes including the automatic detection and generation of plastic hinges, buckling, cracks, and ultimate collapse. The resulting debris and impacts with structural elements are automatically analyzed and stress redistribution is inherently calculated.

----

The 12 case study pages allows to download the FLVs of the tests so they all sit nicely in my reference directory ;)

kind regards,
Anselm

amckay
10-16-2009, 03:35 AM
should all share our reference folders someday, maybe someone should make an unofficial site to throw up anything cool they find

My ref dir is about 12 years old at this stage, I even have a few 3ds dos images of mine still in there :P

PsychoSilence
10-16-2009, 04:48 AM
we did that with sam and ian once on ian's server but the project dies with the ftp :D

i'm all for cloud computing. my reference folder is 18 gig :shrug:

amckay
10-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah, besides all the stuff we share would just end up in our reference folders, so we'd then have to upload it, and ..
yeah.. :)

Glacierise
10-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Quite an awesome idea! Maybe we can make something like a Hamachi network and share scene files and reference...

JonathanFreisler
10-17-2009, 01:03 PM
I think its a great idea. Break it up into category's like, fire, smoke, dust, explosions, splashes, ect ect. And then have reference footage, or links to videos, plus scenes and Rnd files. Would be a great place to go.

Also for each category build a pretty detailed cover page, all of us sharing what to do, what not to do. Any hits and tips that may help others. Think of all the questions that are asked, that a summary on said effect would answer for beginners or even experienced artists trying something they haven't done before.

Perhaps instead of hosting it all on one place and killing an ftp, simply have links to peoples servers. Usually the reference files already exist somewhere on the net or servers?

Example; at the moment in working on a water fountain, Ive never done one before like this before. So for me, I searched the forums, found posts, found some scenes, some tips and tricks. And then alot of RnD on my end. Which could be solved quickly by reading through a summery composed by artists who have done it before. Its fun to do the RnD and all, but the best way to approach things help a bit.

My 2 cents

jlelievre
10-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I think this is a great idea and I have spoke with a few people about it in the past. When Solitude and I were working on a project just recently we were discussing how beneficial it would be to have a database where you could store all of your presets and use them when needed; rather that trying to re-invent the wheel every time. I am currently updating my website and it has a section for presets, tests, and Rnd stuff from films, videos, and commercials that I have worked on, that people will be able to download and use at will. I am totally up for building a database that people can upload files to and then we can then all benefit from it. Over the past few years I have become indebted to this community so I feel its time to give back. :)

Currently it's an xml/flash based system which you upload the file and choose a thumbnail for it, plus a small text description so you have an idea of what the file contains. Pretty simple and straight forward and easy to maintain. I am sure I could tailor it to allow outside parties to upload their files and store them on the server with some sort of username/password system. I wouldn't want every Tom,Dick, and Harry logging in and uploading loads of useless files, so the database would have to be based on users who have been pre-approved.

Also in regards to reference footage what about setting up a vimeo channel where everyone can just upload their footage and anyone who is a member can view it. Otherwise uploading loads of quicktimes/avis would be heavy on bandwidth as JonathanFreisler pointed out. I am up for storing the actual maxfiles on my personal server as it has 100-200 gigs free at all times and the bandwidth is pretty sufficient. Also max files without all the fume cache or pflow/krakatoa cache can be pretty small so they shouldn't take up too much space. I also have a few free domain names available so if anyone can think of a cool name for such a site then have at it! :)

Lemme know if anyone is interested in this as it would not be that hard to set up and getting running. Like I said I am going to do it for my own personal files but it would be even better to have more people contributing their setups and test so that we can all learn from them.

irwit
10-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I also have a few free domain names available so if anyone can think of a cool name for such a site then have at it! :)

maximumreference.com :buttrock:

PsychoSilence
10-17-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm all for the cloud! Now that Allan has his new server we could establish a FTP for privileged people with a no donkey pr0n policy :bounce:

Allan, your call :D be the source daddy!

JohnnyRandom
10-17-2009, 06:30 PM
haha, as Ansi put it "Pool of Cool" :D

galagast
10-17-2009, 11:07 PM
cool idea guys! I hope this pushes through, I'll try my best to contribute. :thumbsup:

amckay
10-18-2009, 12:40 AM
the pool of cool haha
yeah ok, I have to check out of my hotel in a few mins - let me look into it later today when I have a home again

wow just looked at how much traffic is coming in with the new site, yesterday was 90 GB!! nuts!
cool well I'll set something up, might be cool to set up an actual page for it so you can see what you're downloading, like a media blog or something. any ideas? I'm happy to host

Glacierise
10-18-2009, 09:28 AM
I am definitely in! I don't have a lot of reference (most is youtube links :D ) but I do have a lot of test/RND scenes that could be cleaned up and uploaded, it could be very useful to people!

amckay
10-18-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm with GoDaddy and I think it only lets one user per ftp account, so I'd have to set up individual accounts (unless anyone at uses go daddy and knows if there's a way to change this)
So that isn't too much of a problem to create individual ftp accounts, at least initially for a few users
But I think it will need to be a media blog of some sort, if its just a huge FTP then its harder to sync/differentiate between what you've already downloaded etc. So having a thumbnail of each probably makes more sense

I'm totally not a web monkey, but I've got premium service on godaddy, so I believe I can host my own youtube and crap like that, so maybe that's an option for this stuff.

Anyway I'm setting up a wordpress blog today, someone else will have to be in charge of setting it up and maintaining it, Any takers? I'll send you all the login information once its set up

Intrinsia - that's always an option, I figured there's a lot of stuff that might breach copyright laws (maybe not, everyone seems to be doing it on youtube etc) capturing video from movies etc. I was thinking of doing the same, just depends I guess on what is going up, but I agree maybe that is a better option

anyone, thoughts?

PsychoSilence
11-01-2009, 12:42 AM
so long no posting! David Bowie is very dissapointed in you:
http://www.davidbowieisverydisappointedinyou.com/

Guess what's coming out next week at TurboSquid.com :bounce:
PFlow Toolbox Office: Volume 1 - Trailer
http://vimeo.com/7367123

which makes Piflik (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=324016) the winner of a free copy:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6124829&postcount=5259 since we think "PFlow Toolbox Office" is an awesome title :) We added "Toolbox" but jumped on his train.

kind regards,

Anselm

Piflik
11-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Yay!...I win :bounce:

JohnnyRandom
11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Haha, took me a minute to get it! but good :)

instinct-vfx
11-02-2009, 04:11 PM
a repository for "all of the presets known to mankind" sounds like a brilliant idea.
If you guys need any help on hosting of any kind let me know (running my own
server for...well...basically nothing lol. It's on a decent line (redundant 100mbit) without traffic limits). So if there's anything you guys need lemme know.

Regards,
Thorsten

PsychoSilence
11-02-2009, 09:42 PM
PFlow Toolbox Office: Volume 1 (http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/index.cfm/ID/496125)

http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_2009_10_29__16_58_33/PFTO_Vol1_Signature.jpg773a69c1-7286-4e2a-ae50-33c4d11db349Large.jpg (http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/index.cfm/ID/496125)

We are life in the TurboSquid shop since 10 minutes :)
I would like to say a huge thank you to Charley Carlat, John Rand, Beau Pershall and Drew Gunning! Without their support and tips this would have been alot harder (or impossible). And a big hug to my beloved lady who didnt have alot of time with me lately since i recorded off work and on the weekends :)

instinct-vfx
11-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Great job Ansi and congrats! :beer: (you know what a beer smiley from my end means :P )

jlelievre
11-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Looks awesome dude! Any idea if they will be offering it as a digital download?

PsychoSilence
11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
I dont know yet. There will definitely be a discount if you buy it together with the Volume 2 (coming next month hopefully, it's finished on my end). Maybe shoot TS a mail, i'm not liberate to decide stuff like that I'm afraid :)

@ instinct: AUGUSTINER MIT JENSEN!!!

PsychoSilence
11-10-2009, 05:17 AM
a full week no posting...*wags the finger*

updated the gallery with some GI Joe stills now that the DVD is out:
Click: Ansi tries to get attention again or is it just that he keeps his stuff up to date? (http://www.3delicious.de/flash/gallery/full-web/index.htm)
(click the image and use keyboard arrow keys to navigate.)

Note: ALL those GI Joe and Dragonball:Evolution and Nikko pictures were a team effort!

jussing
11-10-2009, 11:43 AM
updated the gallery with some GI Joe stills now that the DVD is out:
Click: Ansi tries to get attention again or is it just that he keeps his stuff up to date? (http://www.3delicious.de/flash/gallery/full-web/index.htm)
(click the image and use keyboard arrow keys to navigate.)Hey Psycho! I like your work, and I really want to see those pictures, but that gallery function on your site is just too damn annoying to use... First, all the thumbs are so small that you can't see anything until you roll over, and second, the upscaling/downscaling on rollover makes all the other thumbs move around, which really makes it annoying to go from one thumb to another. Now, I'm no GUI guru and you may not care, but I thought I'd let you know that some people (me and those like me) never get to see your (great) work, because your thumbnail gallery is too user hostile. :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

PsychoSilence
11-10-2009, 06:34 PM
(click the image and use keyboard arrow keys to navigate.) << that works pretty fine here.

JohnnyRandom
11-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Nice shots Ansi ;) Just got the GI Joe DVD last week...some good action/humor :)

Duke: [after crashing into cars while running in the accelerator suits] Okay, that was crazy. I didn't expect that. What happened to you?
Ripcord: I went through the train. What happened to you?
Duke: I jumped over it.
Ripcord: [pause] You can do that?
Duke: Yeah. I told you to read that manual.
Ripcord: There's a manual?

Made me laugh... There's a manual? :D

PsychoSilence
11-10-2009, 07:21 PM
haha! yeah, ripcords character added some running gag to it :D

for anyones convenience i changed the gallery to html and tables...my old 486 with 8MB ram and 80MB HD could handle that...same content, less hassle :D

the new nice and easy to handle, flash free and low in carbs gallery (http://www.3delicious.de/flash/gallery/full-web/index.htm)

Glacierise
11-11-2009, 08:26 AM
a full week no posting...*wags the finger*

Or at least not here :P

I loved the GI Joe shots, the whole movie looked rather cool actually. Haven't seen Dragonball yet, but the lava and the lake look very interesting! Care to share about them?

JonathanFreisler
11-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Wheres all the posting been then? Are you seeing other particle guys Hristo?

I sore both GI joe and Dragonball. Both were horrible movies tbh. The effects were good. But... bad movies ha ha.

Glacierise
11-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Can't I have any secrets in this relationship?!!? :cry: :D :D Actually, I didn't think GI Joe was bad at all, it was cartooney, I like that. It's no Woody Allen substitute :D

jussing
11-11-2009, 09:17 AM
the new nice and easy to handle, flash free and low in carbs gallery (http://www.3delicious.de/flash/gallery/full-web/index.htm)Much better. ;) Now, I don't mind Flash, I just mind stupid Flash. Flash with the purpose of making sites worse.

Cheers,
- Jonas

JonathanFreisler
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Much better. ;) Now, I don't mind Flash, I just mind stupid Flash. Flash with the purpose of making sites worse.

Cheers,
- Jonas

It appears to show the same images in a random order? Or something? Perhaps its my browser.

Wrong quote, but its for gallery ><

Darknon
11-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone

I have a big problem that I hope you can help me with.

I'm doing a short film with some soldiers and lots of explosions. In one max scene I have made a cool explosion, which is made of alot of different PFlow setups. One setup for the shockwave, one for the debris and so on.

How do I get those setups from one max scene to another? PFlow is making alot of helpers and stuff in the scene that I don't have a overview of. So if I chose all the stuff I have names shockwave for example, and then merge that into another scene, then everything is on top of eachother and are not connected, and it gives me a headache...

So, Question is. How do I get my particle setup into another scene. Explain to me, as you would a child :)

I hope someone has a solution...

Wicked
11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Import the other scene into the pflow-scene? :D
I suppose you can't just group them and then merge it into the other scene..?

Darknon
11-11-2009, 06:48 PM
No not really. PFlow is making helpers or objects for every event and operator, and it seems like it's making even more helpers than that. So I have no clue what to merge and what not to merge. If I use the "select all influences", it's selecting alot of stuff that I don't need or don't really have an influence at all. It's just one big chaos.

There must be an easy way to a setup from one scene to another... There MUST be.

SoLiTuDe
11-11-2009, 07:58 PM
^^ Delete EVERYTHING you don't want and save that max file by itself... so all objects, and all pflow stuff that you want in a clean scene by itself, then merge in the "cleaned" scene.

feldy
11-11-2009, 08:34 PM
^^ Delete EVERYTHING you don't want and save that max file by itself... so all objects, and all pflow stuff that you want in a clean scene by itself, then merge in the "cleaned" scene.

Or another option is after you deleted everything like Sol said you could make it a preset with in pflow so you can just load that preset when its needed.

jussing
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Explain to me, as you would a child :)http://aquila.cool.ne.jp/galaxyquest/sarris1.jpg

Actually, I think Solitude's suggestion is the best. That's what I do when I have complicated stuff I want to merge into other scenes, and not just with particles.

On a sidenote, you can select all these "mysterious" helpers and objects if you drag a selection box around all your events and stuff in PFlow, and then select "sync to selection". Not sure if it helps you, but it might. You might try to use that method, and then "save selection" from the file menu. I still think Solitude's method is a better guarantee for success, though.

Good luck with the sitting ducks.

- Jonas

Darknon
11-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for your answers. I'll try that tomorrow, it sounds like good ideas... I'll tjek back and let you know if it works :)

jussing: Nice to see a Dane in here ;) And thanks

Piflik
11-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I have not tried it, but PFlow has a Save and Load Flow option...shouldn't that work?

OlegB
11-11-2009, 11:15 PM
In Max 2010 (a.k.a Box#1 before Max 2010) you have Preset Manager to save PFlow presets - Particle View > Tools > Preset Manager. Once a preset is saved, you can use Preset Flow.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

Bobo
11-11-2009, 11:29 PM
So, Question is. How do I get my particle setup into another scene. Explain to me, as you would a child :)

Max has an internal Referencing system which "knows" which object is dependent on others.
If you would select the PF Source (the emitter) of PFlow and do Save Selected without selecting anything else, the resulting Max file will end up containing not only the PF Source but ALL interconnected elements of the PFlow system (helpers representing Events, Operators, Arrows, the Particle Engine and whatnot). If Operators use external objects like Deflectors, Force Space Warps, emission Meshes etc, all these object will also "know" that they are used by PFlow and save automatically.

The same is true for File>Merge - if you select just the PF Source from a large Max file, all dependent objects should be highlighted in blue as dependencies. The Merge dialog has a checkbox "Select Dependencies" which can automatically select all objects dependent on the ones you selected. This is another way to get particle stuff from one scene to another.

And of course, if you have Box #1 or Max 2010, do what Oleg said :)

galagast
11-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Particle View > Select > Save Selected could also help you I suppose...
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5227/pfsavesel.gif

Here's an excerpt from the help file:

Save Selected
Saves only highlighted elements in the event display to a .max file. You can then open this file, or combine it with an existing scene with File menu > Merge.

Note: The Particle View > Save Selected command saves all items selected in Particle View and in the scene. So if a PF Source icon is selected in the scene, then this command will save its global event as well as any birth events associated with it. if you want to save only parts of a Particle Flow setup, first unselect everything in the scene.

Also, if an action references an object (for example, a Shape Instance operator (http://forums.cgsociety.org/WSf742dab0410631331c0db195112a1ceb6fd-7f98.htm) uses a geometry object), and the action or its parent event is highlighted when you use Save Selected, then the reference object is saved as well.

edit: I guess this is what Piflik was referring to.. but it has no load option. You'll need to merge it instead.

jigu
11-12-2009, 05:44 AM
if scene scale you are merging in different then pflow scene scale, your pflow setup can screwed up after merging in.

I preferred to do like Bobo said by turning on "Select all dependents" option to merge whole pflow setup.

Or via preset manager, it's very handy. Just save preset (shortcut is "Alt+Ctrl+M" to bring preset flow) and load it back in your scene. (make sure objects name are different in the scene you are loading presetflow and shouldn't be any object with same name as you had in pflow scene, same for helpers,spacewarps and other things)

But most important thing is scale/unit system must be matched in both scene.

Darknon
11-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks for alle the answers guys... I'm sure one of these solutions works. Again, I'll try it out when I get home from work. And if it works,.. I'll be UNSTOPABLE!! :)

JohnnyRandom
11-12-2009, 05:32 PM
You may do this already, but one other tip: Rename your flows sources/events to something explanatory. Sure helps when merging from an existing scene.

Helps me anyway, although I plead guilty to the fact that I usually wait until the system is finished to rename everything.:blush:

amckay
11-12-2009, 06:13 PM
we're all guilty of that mate ;)

PsychoSilence
11-18-2009, 09:19 PM
PFlow Toolbox Office: Volume 2 - Trailer :beer:

http://vimeo.com/7688908

and here we go for a second round :)

instinct-vfx
11-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Great Stuff as usual Ansi... :thumbsup: Now if only i would be allowed to do that to the cars i'd be in heave :argh: Anyways...be sure to shove your ass back to good old germany and lemme know so we can have a bee :beer:

JohnnyRandom
11-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Nice, some good stuff there Ansi :)

PsychoSilence
11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
as per request over at Orbaz we have a facebook group now :)

Come one come all!

groups is "3ds Max Particle Flow"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=180146063994&ref=mf

DeKo-LT
11-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Woohoo, thanks Ansi

Glacierise
11-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Awesome stuff Anselm, you got me sold :) And for the FB group too hehe

JohnnyRandom
11-25-2009, 05:09 PM
As usual just messing around...still needs some love, testing high poly animated collision objects in box#2 :)

Teapot Ocean QT 6.3 mb (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/ParticleFlow/Box2/TeapotOcean/TeapotOcean.mov)

http://www.4rand.com/TEST/ParticleFlow/Box2/TeapotOcean/TeapotOcean.png

Glacierise
11-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Very cool! Smooth that out a bit and you're on to the goodness! How did you do the waves btw, Hollermerch?

jussing
11-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Looks like noise & push to me. :) Very efficient.

Nickolay411
11-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Final Render ocean object JRandom said on Orbaz forum.

JohnnyRandom
11-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Yep, fr-ocean, thinking you could easily do the same with Hollemeersch's wave generator, bummer it is only max 9 though.

It needs to be smoothed it out for sure, I think with decreasing the interpenetration tolerance so much to give it the appearance of submersion also makes the collision faces smaller and more susceptible to the finer collision object faces. still just a prelim test and due for lots of refinement :)

PsychoSilence
11-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Uploaded a new showreel and lots of tests to my Vimeo account :)

Ansi's 2010 showreel (http://vimeo.com/7818721)

Ansi's 2010 hires showreel (http://www.3delicious.de/flash/gallery/3Delicious_Showreel_2010-1_H264.mov)

Ansi's Vimeo Profile (http://vimeo.com/psychosilence)

kind regards,
Anselm

feldy
11-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Sweet ass Job as always. Very good stuff. Happy Turkey day also everyone.

Bandu
11-26-2009, 05:34 PM
nice work Anselm !

amckay
11-26-2009, 06:28 PM
happy thanksgiving! I was working late last night, managed to polish off a whole bottle of wine, hope this wont affect my thanksgiving plans to get plastered today :(

good reel ansi well done!

JohnnyRandom
11-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Nice Turkey Day treat :)

PsychoSilence
11-27-2009, 05:46 PM
now officially posted :)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=829441

HeadSmell
11-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Just woundering If any one has run into this problem:

when ecsaping from Pflow the time line jumps to last frame? Is there a defualt setting some where I can tell max to start at the first frame of the active time, when canceling or escaping from an animation?

Cheers

JohnnyRandom
11-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Wow that is odd, for me it has always stayed on the frame I canceled/ESC'd on. It does this every time? Even with a fresh/new scene?

If you have Box#2 1.0 or #3 1.5 there are new .ini's for these plugins that store your default prefs, although I don't believe this is one of them, I could certainly be wrong though. They reside in your - local settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\max version\plugcfg - , you could open them for a look-see:shrug: Then again, I don't know how you could inadvertently set it.

I am thinking Oleg to the rescue :)

galagast
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
yeah, that is odd.. what max version are you using?

A crazy idea, but probably worth a try... try using a different keyboard, it's possible (by a long shot) that your ESC key is also triggering the PAGE DOWN key.:D

btw, awesome stuff anselm and congrats on the DVD's!:beer:

edit: mispelled "stuff" into "stugg" hehe

HeadSmell
12-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Well I'm on 64 bit xp /max 2009/ with 8 gigs of ram.

It doesn't do it everytime, but frequent enuff that it can get annoying.
It's only when I have heavy scenes trying to dump memory. I don't have box 2/3,also it does it with Tp aswell. I'm a bit baffled by it aswell...maybe it's my hardware and windows just taking a dump :shrug:

Klemen
12-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Hello everybody, I just finished a little personal project. It's a short FX shot inspired by Allan Mckay's work. Created with 3ds max, Fumefx, rendered with Vray, composited with Fusion and AE.

Quick Time link (http://www.klemenlozar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/vamp_2_lg_prog.mov) - recommended (11mb)

Youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RibDHx6MX0Y) - (5mb)

JonathanFreisler
12-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Very very cool man, Would be even cooler if you had a real actor in palce of the vamp. Or atleast pushed the model and texture. Also, would like some colour in the background >< but thats small things

Besides that all good! Looks really good.

Klemen
12-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks Jonathan! Yeah there are a lot of things that could still use work but I had to draw the line somewhere before the whole project got old and bothersome if you know what I mean^^

I guess I'm going to push harder next time :)

superhypersam
12-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Hello everybody, I just finished a little personal project. It's a short FX shot inspired by Allan Mckay's work. Created with 3ds max, Fumefx, rendered with Vray, composited with Fusion and AE.

Quick Time link (http://www.klemenlozar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/vamp_2_lg_prog.mov) - recommended (11mb)

Youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RibDHx6MX0Y) - (5mb)

nice one!

looks great!

amckay
12-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Hey Klemen looks good keep up the great work!

Klemen
12-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks Sam and Allan, means a lot!

irwit
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi all

A friend sent me this and I thought I just had to share, great reference and good fun to watch. I love the dbz style shockwave you get for a second. Anyway, enjoy :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU8joiS62js&feature=player_embedded

jussing
12-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Hey all,

here's a little Pflow stuff from me.

First up is a ghost-vaporize effect from Drag Me To hell:
http://jussing.dk/layout/thumb_dragmetohell.jpg
http://jussing.dk/gallery/dragmetohell.html (http://jussing.dk/gallery/dragmetohell.html)

And second up is a twister from the opening film for the COP15 climate conference (http://en.cop15.dk/) in Copenhagen taking place right now: (rendered with krakatoa)
http://jussing.dk/layout/thumb_cop15.jpg
http://jussing.dk/gallery/cop15.html (http://jussing.dk/gallery/cop15.html)

Thanks for the inspiration from people in here! And thanks for teaching me to vaporize people, Allan! Being able to disintegrate people certainly makes a man happier.

- Jonas

EDIT: Come to think of it, Allan taught me twisters, too, in the VFX for film workshop.

jussing
12-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh, and here's a great reference for an awesome nuclear explosion:

EDIT: darn it, they took it off. Here's a repost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidqZArw6-Q

JonathanFreisler
12-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Cool Jonas, weird thing was I was watching some of your newer stuff last week before you posted this ha ha.

You were always an inspiration to me in the early days with your pyramid, and lava shots! weird huh?

sapirivan
12-08-2009, 08:14 AM
hi guys im kinda noob to the particle flow
how can i spawn particles from an object and tell them to spawn to the direction of the mesh
so if i spawn them from sphere for instance they will not spawn in him and go out to all the sides (of course no gravity)

jigu
12-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Hey all,

here's a little Pflow stuff from me.

First up is a ghost-vaporize effect from Drag Me To hell:
http://jussing.dk/layout/thumb_dragmetohell.jpg
http://jussing.dk/gallery/dragmetohell.html (http://jussing.dk/gallery/dragmetohell.html)

And second up is a twister from the opening film for the COP15 climate conference (http://en.cop15.dk/) in Copenhagen taking place right now: (rendered with krakatoa)
http://jussing.dk/layout/thumb_cop15.jpg
http://jussing.dk/gallery/cop15.html (http://jussing.dk/gallery/cop15.html)

Thanks for the inspiration from people in here! And thanks for teaching me to vaporize people, Allan! Being able to disintegrate people certainly makes a man happier.

- Jonas

EDIT: Come to think of it, Allan taught me twisters, too, in the VFX for film workshop.

some great stuff! nice to see breakdown too.

I have one question though, I often see a lot this RGB lighting pass (mostly I saw before in Digital domain's reels) and often in your stuff.

How do you render this pass? and How can I use this in composition?

Thanks,

Jigu

jussing
12-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks, Jonathan. I get inspired by your stuff too, so I guess that's full circle. Love your FumeFX shots (I haven't even tried that yet) and your FXwars entries.

I have one question though, I often see a lot this RGB lighting pass (mostly I saw before in Digital domain's reels) and often in your stuff.

How do you render this pass? and How can I use this in composition?I try to explain it in the twister shot. Simply, it's a way to render three seperate light sources that you can tweak individually in compositing, without having to render three times.

You don't have to do an RGB lighting pass - you can also just tweak the light sources before you press render, and then render a single beauty pass, or you can render the three light sources seperately. But the RGB technique gives you freedom to tweak the light sources in compositing, while only rendering once.

The reason why it's so often used with volumetric clouds, is that clouds tend to have only one color, whereas it's more difficult to apply to a textured object, because the texture will react differently to the red, green and blue lights.

You use it in comp by splitting the three channels, grading them individually, and then adding (or "screening") them back on top of each other.

- jonas

loran
12-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Nice stuff Jussing.
Did you use krakatoa ??

jigu
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the explanation jussing. I really appreciate it.

Where can I find more information regarding to applying RGB pass in composition? (if any application specific)

noouch
12-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Where can I find more information regarding to applying RGB pass in composition? (if any application specific)
Add an exposure or gain operator, then set it to control individual channels. This allows you to control the RGB levels individually. Then desaturate the whole thing and you're finished :)

JohnnyRandom
12-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Nice work Jonas :) great twister!

jussing
12-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Nice stuff Jussing.
Did you use krakatoa ??Thanks, Loran. For the twister, yes.

- Jonas

PsychoSilence
12-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Great job, Jonas!

The touch down of the twister looks great. nice debris movement!
Did you use any box#3 for the disintegrations or is it all mapping object operator goodness?

your website shows some very good shading skills too!!!

kind regards,
Anselm

jussing
12-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks!
Did you use any box#3 for the disintegrations or is it all mapping object operator goodness?Oh what was it... it was one of the boxes, I think it was just Box #1... Doesn't it have a "UV by geometry" or something?

But I greatly missed a "maintain particle color" for the shot of the umbrella ghost girl flying backwards. I used the "UV by geometry" thingy to ensure the right particle color at spawn time, but since the texture was a frame sequence of the actress flying backwards, swinging her arms, the particles would change color after spawning. I had lots of trouble with that... though, in the end they opted for monochrome smoke in that shot anyway, so it ended up not being a problem. :)

- jonas

PsychoSilence
12-15-2009, 11:49 PM
One of my favorite Spots i've seen lately and went straight to my inspiration harddrive:

Audi - Filter (http://motionographer.com/theater/audi-filter/)

http://www.bt-3d.de/stills/img/audifilter_01.jpg

http://www.bt-3d.de/stills/img/audifilter_04.jpg

Making Of Video (http://motionographer.com/theater/audi-filter-making-of/)

And its all done in XSI with ICE by Tim Borgmann and Chris Keller.

jussing
12-16-2009, 07:59 AM
One of my favorite Spots i've seen lately and went straight to my inspiration harddrive:Looks neat!

What's with all the gizmos floating around the mushroom cloud? A way of making the fluid dynamics? Or just for turbulence on top?

(I've never used ICE)

- Jonas

Glacierise
12-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Awesome work, Jonas! And I've always loved that Audi commercial.

loran
12-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks, Loran. For the twister, yes.
Jussing

SO you use PFlow only for character desintegration? I REALLY do like to know more about your settings! What kind of particles (2d?3d?) How do you light it ?...

feldy
12-16-2009, 04:32 PM
One of my favorite Spots i've seen lately and went straight to my inspiration harddrive:

Audi - Filter (http://motionographer.com/theater/audi-filter/)

http://www.bt-3d.de/stills/img/audifilter_01.jpg

http://www.bt-3d.de/stills/img/audifilter_04.jpg

Making Of Video (http://motionographer.com/theater/audi-filter-making-of/)

And its all done in XSI with ICE by Tim Borgmann and Chris Keller.

This is so badass. Does Xsi support point particle rendering or did they export effects out to another render? Have any of you guys sat down and played with ice at all?

JohnnyRandom
12-16-2009, 05:57 PM
It is really cool, although I am confused about the graininess of it, the particles look way to big IMO I guess, I thought it was supposed to be sand at first, then I thought it was supposed to be kind of smoke like, then the sphere thing came into play now I am baffled:blush:

Still super nice fluid motion and trails:cool:

EDIT: After watching it a third time, I gather it is supposed to be exhaust emission that filters out through the layers and what is left is there clean diesel TDI, so yep smoke like, just needs more particles, 50 million just isn't enough :D Everything is beautifully done though especially like the lighting :)

Thanks for posting Anselm.

jussing
12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
SO you use PFlow only for character desintegration? I REALLY do like to know more about your settings! What kind of particles (2d?3d?) How do you light it ?...

Hey Loran, the character disintegration is really simple... I use Pflow box #1 I think, which has a "inherit UV from object" or something. Then I have some rough geometry per character, and an alpha mapped image. That material is also applied to the particles, which, because of the UV operator match the colors of the character. Then add a lot of particles, and various combinations of turbulence and vortex.

The lighting is a "cheat", I use a light source set to "ambient" with far attenuation.

After watching it a third time, I gather it is supposed to be exhaust emission that filters out through the layers and what is left is there clean diesel TDI, so yep smoke like, just needs more particles, 50 million just isn't enough
I disagree. :) Smoke *is* made of particles after all, and since this resembles a microscopic closeup of smoke going through a particle filter, I think it's perfect to show the particles, and not completely smooth smoke. :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

JonathanFreisler
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I really dig the smoke.

It comes across as sort of, dirty and yuck. Even though the movement is quite beautiful. I'm not sure if they did that intently to have it look dirty, but it works well considering thats what they add is trying to say, this car leaves all of that behind.

Looks like Krakatoa with the density not low enough - don't let bobo hear me say that. I mean it could be easily achieved with Krak.

olipoli1
12-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi all

Im just getting to know pflow in general and Box2 and it seems amaizing from the start.

I gathered a few questions along the tests I made with Box2, it would be great if you guys could help me out with some of them.

1. Is it posible to convert the particle animated geometry back into keyframed normal geometry? The reason Im asking this is because I liked to use the geometry, I simulated/animated with reactor, for instance to emitt particles from that geometry based on certain simple ( like speed test etc) criteria. This was usefull for me in many ways, like when something craks I would shoot out particles from the selected edges along the path and so on.. Also I use FumeFx a lot and with Box2 I cant use the animated geometry to emitt fluids from them nor can they effect the fluid in any way... Maybe Im missing something here but this seemed like a problem to me.

2. The other thing with box 2 is that when I use rayfire and the voronoi uniform method to crack things up and then I use a convex hull as collision body on the fractured pieces, the original shape almost always explodes because interpenetration. I usually have to adjust the coll. tolerance so high that it becomes visible in the sim that things go too deep into each other. The only work around I found is that If I lower the subframe factor in the PhisX world to 1 or 2, a simple rigid body sim works fine. Of course this way it gives worse results with Glue operators. Also if I would just like to stack a pile of stuff on each other I wont come to a rest If the subframe factor is higher than 1, they keep bouncing around shooting other debires high in the air...

Ok sorry for the lenghty posthope I was able to make some snese

Thanks in advance.

ahmedsheeraz
12-17-2009, 12:22 PM
have a look at this colorful particle animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYIfiQlfaas

something like krak, afterburn type stuff....

noouch
12-17-2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezltebzdgjI

They did it in realtime :)

JohnnyRandom
12-17-2009, 09:02 PM
1. Is it posible to convert the particle animated geometry back into keyframed normal geometry?

Yes, you can bake it with a bake script, group the resulting object and use them in a new flow as a position object.

2. The other thing with box 2 is that when I use rayfire and the voronoi uniform method to crack things up and then I use a convex hull as collision body on the fractured pieces, the original shape almost always explodes because interpenetration. I usually have to adjust the coll. tolerance so high that it becomes visible in the sim that things go too deep into each other. The only work around I found is that If I lower the subframe factor in the PhisX world to 1 or 2, a simple rigid body sim works fine. Of course this way it gives worse results with Glue operators. Also if I would just like to stack a pile of stuff on each other I wont come to a rest If the subframe factor is higher than 1, they keep bouncing around shooting other debires high in the air...

Sometimes the Voronoi fracture method will still create "PhysX undesirable" chunks, they may still have some concaveness to them. You can go through and find the culprit fragments and cut/slice them by hand, also I have had issues with the ultra small fragments I usually get rid of them, it seems they will more often than not cause issues.

Glue operators like to see a subframe factor of 2*theMaxNumberOfBinds+2, so 4 binds per particle would be a subframe factor of 10, this is just a rule-of-thumb, it helps determine the best speed to accuracy ratio.

olipoli1
12-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks Johnny!

Please could you point out what kind of script are you referring to? Is it a built in script or operator, its one that is available to download/buy or I would have to write one myself (which I wont be able to).

Also nice to know that the voronoi method is not perfect thanks for pointing that out. Actually what I meant with all the subframe factor stuff is that it looked like to me that if I lowered it than interpenetrating geometry would not blow up and would settle more easily. Of course this is not a very nice way to do it because the glue operator as you wrote it needs the amount of sub frames calculated by the little equation.

olipoli1
12-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Uhh I found the script thanks for the help.

JohnnyRandom
12-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Oops, sorry, my bad I should have posted a link to it:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/pflow-baker

You can definitely soften things up with a lower the subframe factor and as you discovered the loss of more accurate RBD collisions and glue binds . It is a nice feature, there are, often times when not using glue (and well using glue for that matter) you can get some interesting effects by just playing with the subframe factor.

As for settling you can get some finite control using the world sleep threshold, it has proven to be more of a dark art to get it right.

You can for instance pass particles to a new event that contains a PhysX Switch + World, set the switch to match spin and set the spin threshold to something like 0.0 this will help calm particles down too.

Generally hyper particles just have too much energy stored within them. The easiest way to dissipate "all" of the built energy is to pass them into a non-physx event, then bring them back into a physx event.

olipoli1
12-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Superb, great ideas thanks!

PsychoSilence
12-24-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.3delicious.de/spielwiese/christBAAAMkugel2009.jpg

Happy Holidays y'all! Let Santa know i was nice please!

Glacierise
12-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Merry Christmas everybody!! Heh Anselm, I love the reflection on the ball :D

amckay
12-24-2009, 06:21 PM
merry xmas everyone, have a rockin nye!

Anyone in LA over xmas? I'm toying with the idea of trying to organize some industry drinks for next week, might be fun to get a bunch of people out
I know Anselm you'll be on the east coast, which is a shame!

Glacierise
12-24-2009, 06:42 PM
And I'm not even on a coast :D Gonna go skiing though :buttrock:

3DMadness
12-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey Johnny, in my last job with particles and fume I used the mesher to make fume interact with them, do you think is better to bake it with a script?

And merry xmas everyone!

JohnnyRandom
12-24-2009, 09:37 PM
If your asking me yes I would bake it if you know for sure your base particle movement is set :)
EDIT: I should note that...I guess it also depends if you are going to emit fume from the objects too. A Mesher emits easier than baked particle objects since fume doesn't currently support grouped objects. The workaround is to add every baked object to its own object source and add to fume.

Double EDIT: Also if you do bake and want to emit fume you can group the baked objects and use them as a pflow position object, scatter particles on those surfaces and add that pflow system to a fume particle source :)

Happy Holidays all you Particle Freaks!

JonathanFreisler
12-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Merry Xmas and and a good New Year.

22 this year, sucks having your birthday on Christmas day ><

Anyway, I hope everyone gets some time off and some holidays!

amckay
12-25-2009, 06:40 PM
happy birthday mate

HeadSmell
12-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Happy birthday dude...hope you haven't had to endure a slew of never ending Jesus jokes..

Hay Allan I'm back in Cali visiting family for a few weeks, you still organizing drinks? We could catch another burlesk show...lol J/K

galagast
12-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Merry Christmas guys!

and Happy Birthday dude!
:applause:

3DMadness
12-27-2009, 03:03 PM
If your asking me yes I would bake it if you know for sure your base particle movement is set :)
EDIT: I should note that...I guess it also depends if you are going to emit fume from the objects too. A Mesher emits easier than baked particle objects since fume doesn't currently support grouped objects. The workaround is to add every baked object to its own object source and add to fume.

Double EDIT: Also if you do bake and want to emit fume you can group the baked objects and use them as a pflow position object, scatter particles on those surfaces and add that pflow system to a fume particle source :)

Happy Holidays all you Particle Freaks!
Thanks for the tips, sorry I forgot to put the quote in my message. :D

In that job all I wanted was the particle to interact with smoke from fume and I used mesher and was quite heavy, next time I'll try baking the particles. ;)

PsychoSilence
12-31-2009, 05:38 PM
MatthiasM did it once again!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vzp2LTId-o&hd=1

His KCM/Magma Flow skills are only topped by Bobo at this point i guess :D

JohnnyRandom
12-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for posting that! The scales and thorns were a treat to see :)

ahmedsheeraz
01-03-2010, 09:11 AM
hya friends and happy new year. have a box3 question. i am using my own version of particle per vertex and using a dense plane 66 by 66, now in viewport i wanna see only 25%. pflow default option is not working in case of particle per vertex and viewports are eating my memory. how can i fix it?

noouch
01-03-2010, 12:24 PM
The plane primitive has a density render multiplier spinner, so if you set it to 2.0 and the plane to 33x33 that should do the trick.

ahmedsheeraz
01-03-2010, 06:36 PM
The plane primitive has a density render multiplier spinner, so if you set it to 2.0 and the plane to 33x33 that should do the trick.

i tried it already but this is also not working but there mustb a workaround. Even if this works but wat if u r using a custom dense geometry instead of a plane?

SoLiTuDe
01-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Not sure if this is a viable option for you or not, but I would add a multiplier in the box3 operator, and wire it's value to the pflow's viewport multiplier, just keeping in mind that you have to set it back at render time.

JohnnyRandom
01-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Adding to what Ian said, you could easily go a step further. you could filter out every nth particle, so for instance if you wanted to display every 10th particle, take your birth index and you nth integer of 10 pipe them to a division remainder function set an integer condition to equal 0, pipe that to the Output Visibility Viewport filter boolean. Pipe a Scalar Boolean False to the the Input of the Output Visibility. Now if a particle registers false it filtered out and will not be shown in the viewport. I probably better show a picture, not sure I explained it to well...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2786/4243262632_238bc547c3_t.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2786/4243262632_c135f1165f_o.png)

This will only effect viewport your render will still be whatever it is set to.

ahmedsheeraz
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
nice suggestion Johnny. works like charm and gr8 learning 4 me. by the way this is wat i did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjSwCPL7ACk

JohnnyRandom
01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Nice pin art :)

SoLiTuDe
01-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey, thanks Johnny -- I don't have box3 here, so I couldn't check out any of the options. I didn't even know (though I would've seen it if i'd had it avail) about the viewport visibility option. :thumbsup:

PsychoSilence
01-04-2010, 09:47 PM
that's sweet and useful! Thanks for sharing :) Adding to what Ian said, you could easily go a step further. you could filter out every nth particle, so for instance if you wanted to display every 10th particle, take your birth index and you nth integer of 10 pipe them to a division remainder function set an integer condition to equal 0, pipe that to the Output Visibility Viewport filter boolean. Pipe a Scalar Boolean False to the the Input of the Output Visibility. Now if a particle registers false it filtered out and will not be shown in the viewport. I probably better show a picture, not sure I explained it to well...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2786/4243262632_238bc547c3_t.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2786/4243262632_c135f1165f_o.png)

This will only effect viewport your render will still be whatever it is set to.

Glacierise
01-04-2010, 09:51 PM
@Johny: Coolness!

JohnnyRandom
01-04-2010, 11:03 PM
I wish you could expose the Output Visibility parameter so you could switch it out and control the viewport, render, or viewport/render like the cache ops without having to open the data view :) at least you can expose the Nth particle parameter.

PsychoSilence
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Happy New Year!

PFlow Toolbox Office: Volume 2 released! (http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/508223)

http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_2010_01_06__08_05_05/PFTO_Vol2_Signature_4x4.jpg2e211d93-e9f0-4b53-a15b-d0906a3c88e2Large.jpg (http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/508223)

Some facts about the product:

With high resolution and crystal clear sound, and over 9 hours of video this two-DVD set is the ultimate training solution for anyone looking to learn more about the flexibilty that Particle Flow offers! The tutorials cover Particle Flow topics thoroughly and explain methods clearly so that everyone should be able to follow regardless of their experience level.

Just look at the course outline:

Box 2 Pro videos:

Introduction
Explaining the Glue Operator
Me & My Katamari
Squash
Donuts
Bomb
Particle Cloth
Capture Net
Bamboo Ragdoll
Foliage
Ripping & Tearing
Glass Shattering
Box 2 Pro & Box 3 Pro videos:

Box 2 & 3: Bomb
Box 2 & 3: Avalanche
Pimp my Toolbox
RayFire videos:

Grayscale Fracture
Activate by Force
Custom Properties
Glue
with kind regards,
Anselm

JohnnyRandom
01-08-2010, 05:52 PM
You particle machine :)

ahmedsheeraz
01-09-2010, 07:37 AM
wow, i have watched some preview vids at turbosquid. looks promising and informative.

irwit
01-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Well done with getting the training dvds done Anselm, they look great ! :applause: Can't wait to check them out when I get some free time.

A quick question for everyone just to gauge reaction. I'm starting a new job in a week and going over from 3dmax to Maya for day to day work. So far I'm definitely finding it a nicer package as it has way more options for just about everything. However just from reading on and off I'm not too sure about what its like for effects work etc.

I've used fluids before and done some very basic stuff with the particle system but for me, max just seems to have it all and I'm wondering if you guys would recommend either

A- stick with max for effetcs work,
B- go with the flow and learn Maya or
C- learn both ( maybe stretching myself a little thin ?)

I don't work as an effects artist, I work as a generalist/ lighting-compositor but effects work is my hobby and maybe one day something I would move into. Also I know it has so my great pluggins but also resources like this thread for example just make it so much easier tio learn new stuff.

Anyway, I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Oh, and a belated Happy New Year to everyone! :thumbsup:

PsychoSilence
01-09-2010, 08:10 PM
DefinitelyC :) knowing more then one package ramps up your market value. If they pay for your training even you are golden :) try and find articles or posts about combined pipelines/ exchanging between the two pakages.

JohnnyRandom
01-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Geek Out with your iPhone/Touch accelerometer!

Accelorama QT 33mb (http://www.4rand.com/TEST/ParticleFlow/Box2/Accelorama/accelorama.mov)

http://www.4rand.com/TEST/ParticleFlow/Box2/Accelorama/accelorama.png

added some camera shake too, not so noticeable without any reference.

Glacierise
01-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Dat is sick! What did you do, mocapped your hand with the i[phone and then bring that into PF?!

Steve Green
01-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Nice,

I have a mate who has been learning the iphone SDK - some of the example files have demos for reading the accleration etc. so I guess it's a matter of piping that data into Max.

Cheers

Steve

JohnnyRandom
01-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Dat is sick! What did you do, mocapped your hand with the i[phone and then bring that into PF?!

Close but Steve is on the right track...

Here you go (http://4rand.com/learn-stuff/external-point3-data-3ds-max-and-a-script-to-do-it/) :)

PsychoSilence
01-18-2010, 07:55 PM
wow, i have watched some preview vids at turbosquid. looks promising and informative.

thank you :) Some free video tutorials and more previews can be found in my Vimeo Account as appetizers :) http://vimeo.com/psychosilence/videos

zoubein
01-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I was just wondering is there an issue with rendering pflow over different render nodes using back burner, I was having some issue with rendering out 2 different passes where they were a pixel or two off from each other. using max 9 32 bit.

PsychoSilence
01-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I was just wondering is there an issue with rendering pflow over different render nodes using back burner, I was having some issue with rendering out 2 different passes where they were a pixel or two off from each other. using max 9 32 bit.

if the machines rendering it you should not have issues. Can i assume you did not cache the particles? The savest but also more cost intensive way is to use the CacheDisc shipping with the Toolbox#3.

PsychoSilence
01-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Might be worth sharing:

There's a new version of the GhostTrials out if any one owns this plugin. The new feature is the updated Frame/segments setting that now allow for super fast movement. In the versions prior to this one the maximum iterations were 10 spline segments per frame.

Plugin is available at http://www.ghosttrails.net/index.php/download.html for Max 2009/2010

cheers,
Anselm

JohnnyRandom
01-21-2010, 10:03 PM
^always worth mentioning :) Thanks for the heads up.

zoubein
01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
if the machines rendering it you should not have issues. Can i assume you did not cache the particles? The savest but also more cost intensive way is to use the CacheDisc shipping with the Toolbox#3.

Unfortunately I dont have acess to toolbox#3, and yes the particles were not cached, whenever I try to cache a particle system that uses instances I cant seem to cache more than a 100 frames or so , is there a work around for this?

JohnnyRandom
01-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately I dont have acess to toolbox#3, and yes the particles were not cached, whenever I try to cache a particle system that uses instances I cant seem to cache more than a 100 frames or so , is there a work around for this?

Have you tried increasing the cache memory limit?(it is the last parameter) default is 100mb set it at however much physical ram you can spare.

ahmedsheeraz
01-31-2010, 09:37 PM
hey all, need some help agian...trying to write a script which will convert scene objects into particles. But i am stuck in one place. I am copying script below and please have a look at script in birth script operator. on pCont Init i have initialize global myArr=$Sphere* as array which always goes undefined, God knows why (of course i have spheres in scene also)?

but if i run the birthscript alone using birthscript operator using particle flow, it runs ok and when i paste it back in my original script, myArr goes undefined again.

Just copy and paste this script in max script editor, create some spheres and run the script and u will get the problem, here is the script (edittext and checkbox items are useless right now so don't see them):

rollout mypf "ParticleFlow Instancer v1.0"(

edittext objName "Name starts with" width:100 labelontop:true

checkbox hide_original "Hide Original Objects" checked: false

button do_it "Do It"

on do_it pressed do(

newPF=PF_Source isselected:on

particleFlow.BeginEdit()

op1=RenderParticles()
newPF.AppendAction op1

particleFlow.EndEdit()

particleFlow.BeginEdit()

ev_op1=Birth_Script()
ev_op1.proceed_script="

on ChannelsUsed pCont do

(

pCont.useTM = true
pCont.useAge=true
pCont.useShape=true

)

on Init pCont do

(
global myArr=$Sphere* as array
)

on Proceed pCont do

(

t1 = pCont.getTimeStart() as float

if(t1<=0) do(
for i in 1 to myArr.count do

(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex=i
pCont.particleAge=0
pCont.particleShape=myArr[i].mesh
pCont.particleTM=myArr[i].transform

)

)
)

on Release pCont do

(

)
"

ev_op2=displayparticles type:6
ev=Event()
ev.setpviewlocation($.X_coord)($.y_coord+100)
particleFlow.EndEdit()

ev.AppendAction ev_op1
ev.AppendAction ev_op2
newPF.AppendInitialActionList ev
newPF.enable_particles=on

)

)

createdialog mypf width:200

HornBerger
02-01-2010, 05:12 PM
interesting... I tried your code in the maxscript editor and it does not produce the required results however i tried to narrow down the problem i.e :
fn create_pf =
(

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
op1=RenderParticles()
newPF.AppendAction op1
particleFlow.EndEdit()

ev=Event()

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
ev_op1=Birth() -- irrespective of the birth operator specified birth or birth_script()
particleFlow.EndEdit()

ev.AppendAction ev_op1
ev.AppendAction ev_op2

newPF.insertInitialActionList ev 1
)

create_pf() -- works here

global PFM_Rollout
try (destroydialog PFM_Rollout) catch()
rollout PFM_Rollout "PFM" width:162 height:50
(
button btn2 "Button" pos:[8,8] width:144 height:32
on btn2 pressed do
(
create_pf() -- does not work here
)
)
createDialog PFM_Rollout

My Observations:
the pflow code in the create_pf() function works when its called outside the rollout but does not work when called from an event handler, in the latter case you need to recreate the linkage b/n the event_01 and the pflow to get birth operators to work (both the normal birth() and the birth_script() operators do not work when called from inside the rollout) then again these are my observations there must be a simple soolution to this problem out there ....

I think this topic deserves a new thread !

ahmedsheeraz
02-01-2010, 08:18 PM
@HornBerger: its mysterious to know even simple birth is not working as i myself didn't try it. I think i should wait until Bobo or some other guru stumble upon this thread if i am fortunate enough :) but i like the way you capsulated all the stuff in a function, considering it as my future practice :)

JohnnyRandom
02-01-2010, 08:27 PM
This works :)

(
global createPFfromScene

struct createPFfromSceneStruct
(
myArr = #(),--Just to make sure you array is empty when you begin
PFM_Rollout,
newPF,
ev_op1,

fn AppendScriptData =--Easy way to edit your script data
(
"on ChannelsUsed pCont do
(
pCont.useTM = true
pCont.useAge=true
pCont.useShape=true
)

on Init pCont do
(
global myArr = $Sphere* as array
)

on Proceed pCont do
(
if(t1==0) do
(
(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex=i
pCont.particleAge=0
)
)
)
on Release pCont do()
"
),

fn create_pf =
(

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
op1=RenderParticles()
newPF.AppendAction op1
particleFlow.EndEdit()

ev=Event()

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
ev_op1 = Birth_Script()
ev_op1.proceedscript = createPFfromScene.appendScriptData()
ev_op2 = Speed ()
ev_op3 = displayparticles type:6
ev.AppendAction ev_op1
ev.AppendAction ev_op2
ev.AppendAction ev_op3
particleFlow.EndEdit()

),

fn configDlg =
(
(
on btn2 pressed do with undo label:("createPF" as string) on
(
createPFfromScene.create_pf()
)
)
createDialog createPFfromScene.PFM_Rollout
)
)--end struct
try(destroydialog createPFfromScene.PFM_Rollout)catch()
createPFfromScene = createPFfromSceneStruct()
createPFfromScene.configDlg()
)

ahmedsheeraz
02-01-2010, 09:04 PM
This works :)

wow Johnny, this is second time u come to my rescue...huge thanx :)

ahmedsheeraz
02-01-2010, 11:58 PM
one problem again......we have a hard coded value in pcont init ie global myArr=$Sphere* as array, how can i replace it wat is written in edittext later on? the problem here is birthscript is a separate script which will go into birthscript operator later on and it will not recognize any variables which it is recognizing right now like if i didn't right anything in pCont init and on proceed i simply write:

for i in 1 to createPFfromScene.myArr.count do
(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex=i
pCont.particleAge=0
pCont.particleShape=createPFfromScene.myArr[i].mesh
pCont.particleTM=createPFfromScene.myArr[i].transform
)

script goes well as far as values remain in ram but if i save file, close and reopen max and reopen file, there will be no particles.
(
global createPFfromScene

(
myArr = #(),--Just to make sure you array is empty when you begin
PFM_Rollout,
newPF,
ev_op1,

fn AppendScriptData =--Easy way to edit you script data
(
(
pCont.useTM = true
pCont.useAge=true
pCont.useShape=true
)

on Init pCont do
(
global myArr = $Sphere* as array --hard coded value
)

on Proceed pCont do
(
if(t1<=0) do
(
(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex=i
pCont.particleAge=0
)
)
)
on Release pCont do()
"
),

fn create_pf =
(

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
op1=RenderParticles()
newPF.AppendAction op1
particleFlow.EndEdit()

ev=Event()

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
ev_op1 = Birth_Script()
ev_op1.proceedscript = ""--Create a blank Birth Script
ev_op2 = Speed ()
ev.AppendAction ev_op1
ev.AppendAction ev_op2
ev.AppendAction ev_op3
particleFlow.EndEdit()
ev_op1.proceedscript = createPFfromScene.appendScriptData() --Now Populate the Birth Script
),

fn configDlg =
(
rollout PFM_Rollout "PFM" width:150
(
edittext objName "Name starts with" width:120 labelontop:true

button btn1 "createPF" width:120 height:50

on btn1 pressed do with undo label:("createPF" as string) on
(
if hide_original.state==true do(
createPFfromScene.myArr=(execute ("$" + objName.text + "'*")) --filling main array
hide createPFfromScene.myArr --hiding scene objects
)
createPFfromScene.create_pf() --creating particles in place of scene objects
)
)
)
)--end struct
)

HornBerger
02-02-2010, 10:44 AM
use persistent global instead of using global for example : persistent global myArr = $sphere*
You declare a particular global to be persistent and the value it contains is always saved to and restored from scene files as they are opened and closed. Therefore, you can keep direct references to objects in the scene in variables and those references will persist across scene save and reload.

--MaxScript reference file

Note*: the persistent global array only stores the references to the scene objects and not the entire data i.e it does not store the mesh and transformation matrix of each node it simply stores its name and address inside the .max file which it uses later to retrieve information such as the mesh and the TM.

galagast
02-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Probably too late for this, hopefully it's worth the info:

This is for the earlier problem above. Enclose the create_pf function inside an undo block.
fn create_pf =
(

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
op1=RenderParticles()
newPF.AppendAction op1
particleFlow.EndEdit()

ev=Event()

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
ev_op1=Birth() -- irrespective of the birth operator specified birth or birth_script()
particleFlow.EndEdit()

ev.AppendAction ev_op1
ev.AppendAction ev_op2

)

--create_pf() -- works here

global PFM_Rollout
try (destroydialog PFM_Rollout) catch()
(
on btn2 pressed do
(
undo "Create PF" on create_pf() -- works if inside the undo context
)
)
createDialog PFM_Rollout

credits goes to kaczorefx (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=291454) from this thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=98&t=832673) discussion. :D

as for the second problem, you could also probably rebuild the appendScriptData string data with new modifications and re-apply it using your ev_op1.proceedscript.

HornBerger
02-02-2010, 11:33 AM
:thumbsup: for the first part of the answer.. just started digesting the code posted by jhonny in the previous post. however still confused why the undo on is needed ... is this a bug or a characteristic of maxscript

as for the second problem, you could also probably rebuild the appendScriptData string data with new modifications and re-apply it using your ev_op1.proceedscript.
not sure i understand the second part of the answer i.e if i have understood the second problem correctly i.e preventing loss of data in a global array between different max sessions (closing and opening max) the only probable solution to that problem is using persistent global array as i have mentioned earlier. the data in the edit text box could be stored in a persistent global array which would not be lost across max sessions and this global array can be called from the birth script operator as well infact from anywhere inside of max. The only other possible solution i can think of is saving the array contents to a file using the max file functions but that will increase the lines of code and stress on the programmer :p

cheers :)

JohnnyRandom
02-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Another appraoch instead of using a persistent variable would be to use a selectionSet, this is just me as you can change your selectionset whenever you want and it is also stored within the scene. As a side note the "with undo on" isn't necessary I just added it to iterate through the script testing, making it easier to delete the Pflow that was created, ie instead of opening PView, selecting the nodes and deleting them manually.

Look at the getTheObjects function:

(
global createPFfromScene

(

PFM_Rollout, getTheObjects, AppendScriptData, create_pf,
newPF,
ev_op1,
theObjs,
theSet,

fn getTheObjects =
(
myArr = #()
if selectionSets ["theSelSet"] != undefined do deleteItem selectionSets "theSelSet"
myArr = selection as array
selectionSets ["theSelSet"] = myArr
persistant global myArr
),
fn AppendScriptData =--Easy way to edit your script data
(
(
pCont.useTM = true
pCont.useAge=true
pCont.useShape=true
)

on Init pCont do
(
global myArr = createPFfromScene.myArr
)

on Proceed pCont do
(
if(t1==0) do
(
(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex=i
pCont.particleAge=0
)
)
)
on Release pCont do()
"
),

fn create_pf =
(

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
op1=RenderParticles()
newPF.AppendAction op1
particleFlow.EndEdit()

ev=Event()

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
ev_op1 = Birth_Script()
ev_op1.proceedscript = createPFfromScene.appendScriptData()
ev_op2 = Speed ()
ev.AppendAction ev_op1
ev.AppendAction ev_op2
ev.AppendAction ev_op3
particleFlow.EndEdit()
deselect
),

fn configDlg =
(
(
on btn2 pressed do with undo label:("createPF" as string) on
(
createPFfromScene.getTheObjects()
createPFfromScene.create_pf()

)
)
)
)--end struct

)

persistant variable are fine but I think it is easier to remove a selection set, Someone else may have a better solution, that is just the way i see it :)

HornBerger
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
n1 johnny :thumbsup: dint think about that ...

edit *: you can use these commands to reveal/delete persistent global variables :

persistents.show() -- shows all the persistent global variables

persistents.remove #a -- removes the p g variable with name 'a'

persistents.removeall() -- self explainatory :P

-- F1 (Maxscript help file :P )

ahmedsheeraz
02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Problem has been solved.yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.......basically i was missing two main things "persistent global" and "undo on". I tried these with my old script and all goes well. But definitely i learned a lot of things specially JohnnyRandom's coding which i am still trying to learn.

Here is my version by the way (it is running fine but there may b still some logical errors):
rollout mypf "Obj2Particle v1.0"(

edittext objName "Obj Name starts with:" width:150 labelontop:true

button do_it "create PF" width:150 height:50

button aboutbox "About" width:150 height:20

on do_it pressed do (

if objName.text !="" do (

persistent global Objs=(execute ("$'" + objName.text + "'*")) as array

if hide_original.state==true do(

hide Objs
)

if Objs.count>0 do(

undo "createPF" on(

particleFlow.BeginEdit()

op1=RenderParticles()
newPF.AppendAction op1

particleFlow.EndEdit()

particleFlow.BeginEdit()

ev_op1=Birth_Script()
ev_op1.proceed_script=""

ev_op3=speed()
ev=Event()
particleFlow.EndEdit()
ev_op1.proceed_script="

on ChannelsUsed pCont do

(

pCont.useTM = true
pCont.useAge=true
pCont.useShape=true

)

on Init pCont do

(
persistent global myArr=Objs
)

on Proceed pCont do

(

if(t1<=0) do(

(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex=i
pCont.particleAge=0

)

)
)

on Release pCont do

(

)
"
ev.AppendAction ev_op1
ev.AppendAction ev_op2
ev.AppendAction ev_op3
newPF.AppendInitialActionList ev
newPF.enable_particles=on
)--end undo
)--end if (array count)
)--end if (empty text field)

)--end createPF button

on aboutbox pressed do(

messagebox "Obj2Particle v1.0\n\ncreated by: Syed Ahmed Sheeraz\nwww.ahmedsheeraz.com\n\n Special Thanks to:\n\nJohnnyRandom (http://4rand.com)\nHornBerger\nGalagast (http://limjeff.wordpress.com)"

)

)--end rollout

createdialog mypf width:180

JohnnyRandom
02-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Haha, cool Ahmed, a psuedo Box#2 birth group operator ;)

PsychoSilence
02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
awesome :) now i dont need box2 on my new workstation :D i was craving for the birth group the most :D

ahmedsheeraz
02-05-2010, 12:11 AM
wish i could have box#2 to taste what Johnny and Anslem means :( have no idea of box2 birth group operator.

PsychoSilence
02-05-2010, 02:49 AM
the entire documentation is available online and is VERY well done:

http://orbaz.com/documentation/particleflowtools/box2/reference/02BirthGroupOperator.html

cheers,
Anselm

ahmedsheeraz
02-05-2010, 08:04 PM
the entire documentation is available online and is VERY well done:

http://orbaz.com/documentation/particleflowtools/box2/reference/02BirthGroupOperator.html

cheers,
Anselm

oh thanx Anselm

ahmedsheeraz
02-05-2010, 08:07 PM
have anybody noticed the new fx wars challenge of creating a nuclear explosion http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=847637&utm_medium=plugblock&utm_source=cgtalk

HornBerger
02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
wow! 1 of the best effects to achieve ! really looking forward to see the results of this challenge :D

Bandu
02-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Problem has been solved.yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.......basically i was missing two main things "persistent global" and "undo on". I tried these with my old script and all goes well. But definitely i learned a lot of things specially JohnnyRandom's coding which i am still trying to learn.

Here is my version by the way (it is running fine but there may b still some logical errors):

that's a cool script, however, testing it I see generating twice as much particles as Objects.
setting the birth time to 1 solves this problem... OR, change your "if" condition in your proceed_script to 1<0, NOT 1<=0
:thumbsup:

cheers,
Bandu

ahmedsheeraz
02-07-2010, 03:10 PM
that's a cool script, however, testing it I see generating twice as much particles as Objects.
setting the birth time to 1 solves this problem... OR, change your "if" condition in your proceed_script to 1<0, NOT 1<=0
:thumbsup:

cheers,
Bandu

oh nice. Now i know why they were appearing. thanx

PsychoSilence
02-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Just in case you haven't read it yet :)

http://physxinfo.com/articles/?page_id=268

Mir Vadim gave an interview over at PhysXInfo.com regarding RayFire.

PsychoSilence
02-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Brandon Riza updated his VFX Breakdown website with work from Dante's Inferno and Mass Effect2:

http://brandonriza.com/3DVisualEffects/HTML/3DVisualEffects.htm

Definitely worth checking out!!!
Maybe some one can post this on our Facebook group, I'm still at work :)

cheers,
Anselm

jussing
02-24-2010, 08:51 AM
What facebook group??

And yes, Riza's the man! I'm a real fanboy.

- Jonas

AdrianWilliams
02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
yup Riza totally rules! and RayFire is something else, the tool it so nice to work with. I did a few jobs with it i really couldn't fault it, and now with 1.5 out! im loving just doing some R&B with it!

PsychoSilence
02-24-2010, 04:02 PM
What facebook group??

And yes, Riza's the man! I'm a real fanboy.

- Jonas

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=180146063994&ref=ts

that facebook group :) RayFire has one too. Feel free to join!

PsychoSilence
03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Keeping the thread alive and running i would like to post some news :)

VRay has serveral Particle Flow issues fixed in the upcoming SP5. Here is Oleg's post from the Orbaz Forum:

Orbaz / Chaos Group collaboration gains results http://www.orbaz.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The fixes for visibility channel, vertex color and mapping are to be integrated in VRay 1.5 SP5 that should be out shortly after the release of 3ds Max 2011. If you need the update sooner than that, please e-mail "Vlado" directly.
Thanks,
Oleg B.

Another thing i would like to share is that i recently gave an interview talking about AVATAR:
http://www.cgheute.de/2010/03/anselm-von-seherr-thos/
and the english PDF translation:
http://www.3delicious.de/spielwiese/CGHeute_Interview_German-and-English.pdf

kind regards,
Anselm

JohnnyRandom
03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
:beer: Great news!

Nickolay411
03-04-2010, 09:19 PM
cool interview! And yes! :) orbaz and chaos collaboration.

ahmedsheeraz
03-07-2010, 05:11 PM
and the english PDF translation:
http://www.3delicious.de/spielwiese/CGHeute_Interview_German-and-English.pdf

kind regards,
Anselm

nice read !

PsychoSilence
03-16-2010, 04:40 AM
http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_2010_03_10__15_21_49/PFTO_Bundle_Signature.jpg81de2ef6-6e7b-4eb2-822e-96af98f39337Large.jpg (http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/index.cfm/ID/520846)

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/index.cfm/ID/520846

In case you hesitated with your purchase yet because you were wondering if both training DVDs would come cheaper in the bundle we are happy to tell you that saving time is here!
Get both DVDs in one shipment and enjoy 16 hours of training on Particle Flow Toolbox 1,2,3,Krakatoa and RayFire.

thanks,
Anselm

Glacierise
03-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Now that's the deal! Getting it :buttrock:

JohnnyRandom
03-16-2010, 04:58 PM
That is a good deal :)

PsychoSilence
03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
http://vimeo.com/10236817

:)

Glacierise
03-17-2010, 06:45 PM
OK, I'm impressed. So that thing finally works!

JohnnyRandom
03-17-2010, 07:06 PM
OK, I'm impressed. So that thing finally works!

QFA agreed, hoping to see some more tightening up of pflow and vray :)

ahmedsheeraz
03-18-2010, 09:35 PM
http://vimeo.com/10236817

:)

thats some nice stuff.

Glacierise
03-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Hey Anselm, post at least your own freakin tuts over here :)

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/show/7954/particleflow-treeproxies-by-anselm-von-seherr

HeadSmell
03-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Cool tutorial man
Not sure if you mentioned it in the video, but I would always recommend to displaying vray proxys
as a box, especially dealling with a large masterplan scene. I usually make a quick macro script to toggle the mesh to be displayed:
$.display = 0
$.display = 1

Hope that helps anyone scene management out there :D

JohnnyRandom
03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
I usually make a quick macro script to toggle the mesh to be displayed:
$.display = 0
$.display = 1

Hope that helps anyone scene management out there :D

Or use this quick script I just finished :)

pFlowControl (http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/pflow-control)

PsychoSilence
03-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Hey Anselm, post at least your own freakin tuts over here :)

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/show/7954/particleflow-treeproxies-by-anselm-von-seherr

Hah, you got me! :D
Next one is coming out on monday 02/29/2010 btw :) "pflow for packshots"

JohnnyRandom
03-24-2010, 06:45 PM
hmmm "pflow for packshots" sounds interesting! Nice work BTW great tuts :)

PsychoSilence
03-24-2010, 07:13 PM
here is a preview render :)

HeadSmell
03-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Or use this quick script I just finished :)

pFlowControl (http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/pflow-control)

I guess I misunderstand stood the script being used to replace Vray proxys with PFlow geometry. Is it replacing at render time or instance replaceing them when the script is evaluated?

Our pipeline for masterplans is always to scatter boxes (nonpflow), the run a instance replace script for the proxys. I was refering to displaying VrayProxys as boxes not PFlow.

Great script by the way :D

JohnnyRandom
03-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Oops nope my bad, you were spot on, was me that misunderstood.

Thanks, I hope its helpful

HeadSmell
03-25-2010, 07:07 AM
yea man great script to help manage stuff :thumbsup:

gona get some guff for this in this forum :rolleyes: ...but one of the main reasons I use TP is how well organized you can have large systems.In my opion I think PFlow could use a face lift and better gobal scene management. Just a wish list :D,

people agree /disagree?

Mric
03-25-2010, 11:48 AM
script to manage quickly Pflow very usefull ! thank you for sharing JohnnyRandom.

JohnnyRandom
03-25-2010, 05:50 PM
TP is great too, I think it boils down to what is the right tool for the task at hand, personally. I totally agree large flows in pflow can definitely be a bear to manage. If pflow had a little more script access for say the ParticleGroup you could easily script up a nice manager, not to mention one could be hard-coded in and add to the interface.

I was trying to add this to the treeview in the script but Events (ParticleGroup) have zero maxscript access :sad: (with the exception of properties). I actually had them listed but you could do anything with them, so I took them out. The '.Particles_Enabled' command being I think the most important currently for a basic pflow explorer.

OlegB
03-25-2010, 06:08 PM
I was trying to add this to the treeview in the script but Events (ParticleGroup) have zero maxscript access
John,

Please raise the issue at the Orbaz forum; I'll give you the right direction on what maxscript calls to make.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

JohnnyRandom
03-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks Oleg :)

JonathanFreisler
03-27-2010, 09:19 AM
I know its probably really simple, but my head hurts from work and I'm at home now and really just want an answer ha ha.

All I'm doing is a simple birth script, so i add a $name into a global class. and then basically get its TM and age. So then it generates a particle per $name object (Ive attached the script, i admit thats confusing, quite simple really) But what i also want to do is to have the particles 'lock on emitter' if thats at all possible? If I can do it in one, or two script Ops, its much easier then adding a lock/bond after or something and to pipe through.

Oh yeah, basically I have a bunch of points moving around, and i need to lock a single particle onto the point. If you know of a better way I'm all ears.

Thanks lads!

on ChannelsUsed pCont do
(
pCont.useAge = true
pCont.useTM = true
)

on Init pCont do
(
global Veins = $Vein_Point* as array
)

on Proceed pCont do
(
t = pCont.getTimeStart() as float

if t < 0 do
(
NumVeinLines = Veins.count

for i = 1 to NumVeinLines do
(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex = pCont.NumParticles()
pCont.particleAge = 0
pCont.particleTM = Veins[i].transform
)
)
)

on Release pCont do
(

)

JohnnyRandom
03-27-2010, 06:10 PM
You basically have it, you just need to use a script operator, instead of a birth script or use the birth script and add another script operator to keep the positions.

Your Birth script basically only evaluates the particles at time 0. So you need to tells those particles hey stick to the object all the time. This is were you could simply use your existing code and remove the If/Then statement so the particles are constantly evaluated.

on Proceed pCont do
(
count = pCont.NumParticles()

for i in 1 to count do
(
pCont.particleIndex = i
pCont.particleTM = Veins[i].transform
)

)

dementol
03-30-2010, 03:30 AM
hey wazzzzap mates.

i wanna show something i made with rayfire

its very simple but i really like the the result.

http://www.vimeo.com/10487365

Is prefractures and simulated with rayfire (main chunks), debris is PFlow Instances and smoke with fume fx.

Cheers!

JohnnyRandom
03-30-2010, 03:55 AM
Nice, I like the lighting too ;)

dementol
03-30-2010, 04:02 AM
thanks Johnny :)

Glacierise
04-01-2010, 09:21 AM
http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2775

Great news! :D

Steve Green
04-01-2010, 10:38 AM
What, no iphone? :)

loran
04-01-2010, 10:50 AM
will it be compatible with the Minitel (a french amazing tool :)

http://www.ti99.com/exelvision/website/uploads/images/minitel-us.jpg

JohnnyRandom
04-01-2010, 04:59 PM
LOL, I detect a little bit of humor from our particle caretaker :)

I'd be real happy if the first part were true, it is going to be real hard to take any posts seriously today :D

Loran, you got that thing working on the renderfarm? :)

loran
04-02-2010, 08:51 AM
of course yes, le Minitel is the perfect tool for heavy computing calculation. Unfortunatly there is not any software compatible with. And about renderfarm, only the "farm" word is matching this tool :)

OlegB
04-08-2010, 03:51 AM
I'd be real happy if the first part were true, it is going to be real hard to take any posts seriously today
It is true - check your e-mail for download links. Also, Freebies for Max 2011 are available at http://www.orbaz.com/download/

Thanks,
Oleg B.

JohnnyRandom
04-08-2010, 04:06 AM
Oleg you are on it! Freebies too... sweet, thanks ;) :)