PDA

View Full Version : Particle Flow Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

cojoMan
06-06-2007, 09:25 PM
You have a PFlow object that emits. How can you make it go reverse ?
AKA the particles are already let's say at frame 30 where they're supposed to be, normally, when they're emitted from frame 0. But how can I have it at frame 0 where they're supposed to be at 30 and at 30, the emission backwards towards the emmiter ?...I hope I got the message through.

As an example, if you have a wall desintegrating in a PArray all over the room, how can you make it "whole again", by reversing the emission ?

the natural gues would be by animating "smth" in reverse, but what...if this is the case...

PS.it's only fair to mention that this problem was posted somewhere else 1st but since nobody came up with any ideas, and me being a big fan of this thread and all :thumbsup: great job btw, I though about poping the question.

thanks in advance.

PsychoSilence
06-06-2007, 11:26 PM
you should render your scene the regular way: foreward. and reverse it in post production!

not exactly your question but unless you want a particle system to start at an inital state do the following:

well first of all you could set your timeline to start at -30 and your flow too. then just render from frame 0 on and you´r flow/legacy particle system should be at frame 30 when u render.

or check "inital state" from particle flow toolbox#1: http://orbaz.com/products/particleflow/box1/

JasperCG
06-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Anselm,

yeah, I've tried that, the problem is that when the position object kicks in, it scatters the particles across the object instead of just locking them where they exist when they collide.

Thanks

hy Jasper,

you should use a position object operator after the collision event with locked on amitter checkend and set to Animated Shape. or use a lock/bond operator from box #1: http://orbaz.com/products/particleflow/box1

kindest regards,

anselm

cojoMan
06-07-2007, 06:31 AM
well...I kinda wanted a more non-post-production idea.

I nailed that one, but i kinda need it in real time.
I'll check the link.
thanks

charleyc
06-07-2007, 07:00 AM
I am trying to use Pflow to create an effect similiar to snow falling on a skinned character or splattered jelly or similiar.

I have a Collision test, speed stop, but then how do I get the particles to follow the character?

Thanks

This is really why the Lock/Bond operator was introduced in PFToolsBox1. You can probably script this if you are really good, but there really isn't a good (easy) way with out Lock/Bond.

avolution
06-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Lots of ways; one that comes to mind is particle flow and the use of the vector channel
for a script.
Basically using the pCont.particleMatrix you store the init (emission value) as row1
and then store the target value as row2

Actually this link will explain more; it is what you are looking for. I posted it at Orbaz
a while ago called Game of Life in reverse, it contains the code you need...

http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483

AKA the particles are already let's say at frame 30 where they're supposed to be, normally, when they're emitted from frame 0. But how can I have it at frame 0 where they're supposed to be at 30 and at 30, the emission backwards towards the emmiter ?...I hope I got the message through.

As an example, if you have a wall desintegrating in a PArray all over the room, how can you make it "whole again", by reversing the emission ?

the natural gues would be by animating "smth" in reverse, but what...if this is the case...

PS.it's only fair to mention that this problem was posted somewhere else 1st but since nobody came up with any ideas, and me being a big fan of this thread and all :thumbsup: great job btw, I though about poping the question.

thanks in advance.

cojoMan
06-07-2007, 05:46 PM
thank you...it might be just what I was after...

Wicked
06-07-2007, 07:25 PM

[...]
Try rendering your scene using Video Post..
1) add an Scene Event and set Scene start (for example) 150 (= your end frame!) and your Scene End at 0 (= startframe!)
(maybe you should uncheck Lock to Range Bar & Lock to Video Post Range to..)

This way your scene gets rendered backwards :)

2) and offcourse you should add an Image Output Event to. :)

cojoMan
06-08-2007, 06:12 AM
thanks, but you should have read my prev posts closer...
what if I want another PFlow in the scene, acting normal, interacting with this one, or animation, etc...

and as I said...normal timing, meaning viewport normal interaction...no post and/or reverse whatsoever. thanks anyway. I didn't know you coul do that in post...cool :thumbsup:

Wicked
06-08-2007, 08:46 AM
thanks, but you should have read my prev posts closer...
what if I want another PFlow in the scene, acting normal, interacting with this one, or animation, etc...

and as I said...normal timing, meaning viewport normal interaction...no post and/or reverse whatsoever. thanks anyway. I didn't know you coul do that in post...cool :thumbsup:

Yeah, I let myself carried away a lil bit ;)

Actually just this part got stuck in my mind:
you should render your scene the regular way: foreward. and reverse it in post production! [...]

That's why thought this was the solution for your problem. Anywayz, maybe you find it usefull in the future :)

Greetz, Wicked

PsychoSilence
06-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Since two days it´s official. I´ll be at Siggraph this year. :scream::bounce::love:

I will stay in the US from the 26th of june until the 15th of august. I will stay in New Orleans the first month from 26th of june until the 4th of august (when we leave for Sigg...) working there freelance. From the 4th until the 10th of august i´ll be in San Diego. And I will spend my last week in the US in LA bothering Ian then :buttrock::beer::wavey:.

So if you wanna meet for a few beer or so in New Orleans, San Diego, on Siggraph or in LA just drop me a PM or Mail at Mail@3Delicious.de

kindest regards,

anselm

pixel9
06-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Awesome, m8! -- Enjoy your trip to the US. :thumbsup: I hope, you'll carry back a bunch of photos, right? ;)

relief7
06-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Hi guys,

I have learnt a lot from this thread and the PFlow community so I would like to give something back. If anyone was ever in the need of constraining objects to particles (like a camera, fragments lights etc.) and does not have a lot of scripting experience this small tool might help...

It is based on the standard MAX dummy helper and it allows you attach itself to the motion of a single particle. So you can link other things to this dummy and they will follow a special particle from your PFlow...It is pretty self-explanatory, please see instructions in the script file how to install and use. If anybody has more requests or wants different features let me know.

Thanks again and enjoy ! :-)
Markus

PsychoSilence
06-12-2007, 05:20 AM
cool beans relief7!
i´ll give it a shot.

kindest regards,

anselm

relief7
06-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Hey, thanks Anselm ! I hope this tiny thing is of use to anybody. :scream: Btw, your tutorials on freelancing and on project management on 3darena were great ! :thumbsup: Thanks alot for them !

Ok, as always I found a bug after posting. The particle number in the modifier panel did not always update as expected. But that is fixed now (see zip file). Furthermore, you can save the MAX file as usual and when you load it the helper will automatically attach itself again without having to bake the motion into keyframes. This also means that if you are still tweaking your PFlow, you always get instant feedback, of course.

Damn, they did a really good job on the node referencing system since MAX 8. It is great that they introduced the "weak references". It is almost impossible to create dependency loops now which is amazing. I can recommend to anybody (who is a little bit into scripting) to check Paul Neale's tutorial on this topic (http://www.paulneale.com/tutorials/Scripting/weakReferences/weakReferences.htm).

avolution
06-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I get the attached error when trying to Run in Max6

I create the particledummy
then click on the PF flow

maxscript Rollout Handler Exception:
unknow property "node" in undefined.

goes to line in listener

custAttributes.add nodeSelf.node.transform.controller caDefControllerProps

arghhhhh

Hi guys,

I have learnt a lot from this thread and the PFlow community so I would like to give something back. If anyone was ever in the need of constraining objects to particles (like a camera, fragments lights etc.) and does not have a lot of scripting experience this small tool might help...

It is based on the standard MAX dummy helper and it allows you attach itself to the motion of a single particle. So you can link other things to this dummy and they will follow a special particle from your PFlow...It is pretty self-explanatory, please see instructions in the script file how to install and use. If anybody has more requests or wants different features let me know.

Thanks again and enjoy ! :-)
Markus

relief7
06-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Mark, I am sorry to say that it only works in MAX 8 or later. I would have made it available for lower versions as well but making it a dummy helper only works if special features are available which were introduced since MAX 8.

But I still have some scripts floating around that allow you to "bake" the motion into a helper. PM me if you are interested in those.

PsychoSilence
06-14-2007, 04:03 PM
wanna do a Domino effect similar to the one in the Demo File but how to change the Shape Instance? if i just pick a new shape in the shape instance operator the shape changes but the entire animation wouldn´t work anymore even if i animate the new shape exact the same as the Domino Cube already being in the scene.

when i leave everything as it is and just pick a new path (normalised and vertex welded spline with edit poly modifier) in the data operator it wouldn´t work either http://www.orbaz.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif http://www.orbaz.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif

the plot: i have a company logo made of splines and wanna have a domino chain reaction out of DVD cases on it. just like the PFLOW drawing in the demo file...

ORIGINAL THREAD:
http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1250

thanks in advance and kind regards,
anselm

charleyc
06-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Anselm - For the shape instance to work, you need 'Sub-Object' animation. Or to put it another way, you cannot simply animate the objects transforms, hence the XForm modifier on the original domino. And the Path issue...You need to make sure that the verts in the Path object are spaced close enough. If there is too big of a gap, the dominos stop. You can adjust this by adjusting the Vicinity Radii and FOV in the Particles SubOp located in the Set Particle Age for Animation Offset group, to the right side in subgroup 09. Also, I get a crash if I adjust either the Vertex Weld or the Normalize Spline settings with PFlow turned on...not sure if it is just me, but something to watch for.

PsychoSilence
06-15-2007, 09:24 AM
dear charley,

u might have saved my a$$! I´ll try it immediate. So i owe u a drink if u are at Sigg, L.A. or New Orleans while i´m in the states :D

kind regards,
anselm

PsychoSilence
06-15-2007, 08:31 PM
sorry for posting again...

dear charley, i tried all u said and it works just fine :) thanks again!
but how can i determine how close the geometry falls on each other? in my attached scene it looks kinda odd...they trigger too early and don´t rest over each other properly.

thanks in advance and kindest regards,
anselm

charleyc
06-15-2007, 09:16 PM
This method requires a good bit of tweaking to get things just the way you want them.

To get the cases to fall onto each other better, you need to make sure the animation falls to the correct resting point. Copy a case in front of the one falling about the distance your path puts them and rotate until they rest naturally You will then have to adjust the timing so that they fall correctly as well.

Next, the Condition SubOp below the Particles SubOp where you adjust the spacing sets at what point the particles get triggered (it is set to 1.053 in the original file). If you get this too large, it will never trigger (1.1 or so is a pretty good setting, but it is dependent on your case XForm timing)

These two things have to be adjusted in unison. It takes a bit of tweaking to get it just the way you want. Also keep in mind that at sharp angles you will get interpenetration or else in the straights you get them falling prematurely.

You can also clean up the angling along the path by adjusting the Condition SubOp under the Length Function at the bottom left of the Set Rotation by Speed group. 45 seems to be a little better.

Finally, there is an initial jump in all the particles as soon as you scrub forward. This is because they are flipping directions as Speed is introduced to them. If you align your case geometries pivot to the world and re-animate it will not jump like that. (Or, if you are feeling lazy, animate the case to fall in the opposite direction and add 180 degree to the Z in the rotation Op.

Let me know if you have any other problems.

PsychoSilence
06-15-2007, 09:46 PM
dear charley,
thanks for ur fast and dedicated help. i will check it out asap.

kind regards,
anselm

andyburm
06-30-2007, 06:13 AM
i am looking for the thread where someone used a fume FX follow to give a ghost like effect to a mocap character (I remember seeing an image of the pflow setup).

PsychoSilence
07-01-2007, 03:50 PM
it was in the krakatoa forum by frantic. dunno if u can see the thread without being a member actually:

http://support.franticfilms.com/wb/default.asp?action=9&read=626&fid=23&BoardID=4#2719
http://www.joconnell.com/uploads/krakatoa/krakatoa_mocap.mov

kind regards,
anselm

Phibmobil
07-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey all !!

When i submit a render out of max9 32bit SP2, in 64 mode (advanced settings - net render ) Vray kicks off the motion blur.. Has anybody ever had this ? I need the 64bit mode to access more memory, as my flow contains spawns..

If anyone could shed some light on this area =)

cheers
!p

thev
07-03-2007, 07:00 AM
This is a bug in the 64-bit version of V-Ray RC3, so you'll have to wait for an updated version.

Best regards,
Vlado

DeKo-LT
07-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Also there is a bug when render type is set to phantom (in render op). At least in 32b... :rolleyes:

PsychoSilence
07-03-2007, 08:09 PM
nice thread comparing TP and PFlow:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=206&t=513640

just in case anyone is curious about it...

kind regards,
anselm

plug3
07-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi,

When using Particle MBlur with a PArray system I can control it with the Direction of Travel/MBlur: Stretch value. Is it possible to use it with a PFlow system? I read something about using the scale operator but I can't figure it out. Any help appreciated.

Thx.

avolution
07-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi,

When using Particle MBlur with a PArray system I can control it with the Direction of Travel/MBlur: Stretch value. Is it possible to use it with a PFlow system? I read something about using the scale operator but I can't figure it out. Any help appreciated.

Thx.

From the Partcle MBlur Help....
How do I use the Particle Age and Particle MBlur maps with Particle Flow?

To use the Particle Age map with Particle Flow, you must use the Delete operator to give the particles a finite life span. For further information, see Delete Operator (http://forums.cgsociety.org/pf_delete.html).

Also note the following:

Particle Age, Particle MBlur and a Bitmap map containing an animated bitmap can be used only with Material Dynamic operator (http://forums.cgsociety.org/pf_material_dynamic.html), with Same As Particle ID turned on. You'll find procedures for using Bitmap and Particle Age at this topic.
The particle material cannot be a submaterial; it must be the main material.
In the non-event-driven particle systems in 3ds max, Particle MBlur is used with a control named Direction Of Travel\MBlur and an accompanying Stretch parameter. In Particle Flow, you can replicate the stretching effect by using a Scale operator, turning off Scale Factor > Constrain Properties, and scaling the particle along one axis.

Pongo
07-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Hello,

I need help with converting an object to particles. I am creating a shattered glass effect, and things are very close to what I need. I have followed alan McKays tut and things are working great except for this one thing. I had asked this yesterday in the general particle flow area and thought I had solved this, but apparently not.

Here is a new scene to show the problem I am having. When I look at the particle count, it doubles as the collision is detected, and it looks like the extra particles are all starting at 0,0,0. My actual scene is using a mesh of glass shards, but it was more difficult to show what is happening, so this scene is just using simple cubes.

Edit: Ok, this just keeps getting weirder. If I offset the scene so the deflector does not pass through 0,0,0 then everything works properly. I can use this as a work-around, but I'd still like to know what is causing it if possible.

Any ideas/solutions?

Thanks

plug3
07-10-2007, 10:16 PM
In the non-event-driven particle systems in 3ds max, Particle MBlur is used with a control named Direction Of Travel\MBlur and an accompanying Stretch parameter. In Particle Flow, you can replicate the stretching effect by using a Scale operator, turning off Scale Factor > Constrain Properties, and scaling the particle along one axis.

That's where I read it, the user reference :).
I know about the delete event but the part I'm having problem is the scaling along one axis. It scales every particle along its local axis regardless of its speed and direction of travel whereas the 'Direction Of Travel\MBlur' method blurs and stretches every particle differently according to its speed and direction.

charleyc
07-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Use a Rotation Op set to Speed Space Follow. This will align the particles rotation to its direction of travel, then when you add the Scale op, you can set it so that the appropriate axis is scaled.

plug3
07-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Use a Rotation Op set to Speed Space Follow. This will align the particles rotation to its direction of travel, then when you add the Scale op, you can set it so that the appropriate axis is scaled.

Thanks a lot. That is much better. Is there a way to vary the amount of scaling (stretch) depending on the speed of each particle?

charleyc
07-11-2007, 12:10 AM
For that you need to either use a Script Op or look into PF Tools Box3. The Script Op is quite capable, but it will get slow if you have too many particles. That is where Box3 is advantageous for something like this.

If you want to use the Script Op, use the length of the Speed vector (defines the magnitude of speed) to influence the scale.

plug3
07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
For that you need to either use a Script Op or look into PF Tools Box3. The Script Op is quite capable, but it will get slow if you have too many particles. That is where Box3 is advantageous for something like this.

If you want to use the Script Op, use the length of the Speed vector (defines the magnitude of speed) to influence the scale.

Thanks again Charleyc.

Yes there are many particles.. Would the PF Tools Box3 solution require scripting as well?

Also when rendering on a farm do you need PF Tools Box installed on all render nodes?

charleyc
07-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Box3 is has an operator that lets you create your own operators. it is not exactly scripting as it isn't text based, it is a node bases system. But it relies on a lot of the same logic as scripting. It can be very mathematically heavy, but to do what you are asking would be extremely simple. The real advantage is that it executes much faster than script (especially with larger particle counts). Also, it has some core updates to PFlow in general and provides more speed and the ability to handle greater amounts of particles. Overall, Box3 is a very powerful tool for PFlow and if you find you need to do a lot of things that PFlow itself is incapable of, it is a must have. But if budget prevents it from being a viable option, you can always use Scripting and take the hit in speed.

plug3
07-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the info.
I checked the website and the PF Tools look very interesting.

avolution
07-12-2007, 05:58 PM
oopps I misread speed for age!

Another approach beyond the lower one...
How about linking box objects via the TM commands of the script,
then script the height to be relative to speed
no speed=zero height
faster speed=more height.

I think this would work

OLD RESPONSE
Can you try a different approach? How about using boxes as shape instances that are
pre-animated. Then use the shape instance animated shape (so it grows as it ages)
Then align the rotation of the shape instance to speed space follow.

Then apply a mtion blur, and mix to taste

Thanks a lot. That is much better. Is there a way to vary the amount of scaling (stretch) depending on the speed of each particle?

jigu
08-07-2007, 04:31 AM
This one is inspired from Georg Duemlein aka rdg's demoreel (http://rdg.cgsociety.org/gallery/524562/). I did this without any scripting. but i think it could be done better with maxscripting. Here is the link to max file :

http://www.jhjariwala.com/cube.max

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6766/colorstampyp3.jpg

DaForce
08-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Thats actually pretty cool.

However I suggest you rar the max file to save bandwidth and a little download time :)

Thanks for sharing.

rdg
08-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Tbut i think it could be done better with maxscripting.

jigu,
cool remix!
http://www.preset.de/2007/0530/rollingcube/
I just used maxscript to rig the rolling cube. I needed to bake the movement as the script controllers caused the pflow to evaluate a million times per frame.

Georg

DaForce
08-07-2007, 09:02 AM
rdg,

bit off topic but your site is great.
So many wicked looking scripts, especially the grow one.

Have you posted any max files or instructions for such a thing in this thread anywhere? really interesting.

PsychoSilence
08-08-2007, 12:23 PM
just got the info that allan won the autodesk masters voting :bounce:! allan, can u confirm?

ps: thanks for taking the pics at the TurboSquid booth :thumbsup: bacause i cant be their in person this year as i planned.

anselm

Aldarion
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Of course he did ! He deserved it !
Yay for Allan !!!

SoLiTuDe
08-08-2007, 05:38 PM
http://area.autodesk.com/custom/?id=5103 :thumbsup:

Steve Green
08-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Congrats to Allan and the others!

- Steve

JohnnyRandom
08-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Cool, big thumbs up :thumbsup: Congrats to all'ya'll!

PsychoSilence
08-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Turbo Squid Inc. Siggraph 2007 Reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRn3AQkVWfA)

^ Offtopic...But sort of particle flow related ;)

This is Turbo Squid Inc.´s Siggraph 2007 Showreel i produced. It shows off ACAPs (AutodeskCertifiedAnimationPlugin) they sell as u know already i suppose :D and Tentacles, their own new in house Plugin.

It was aired at their Siggraph booth on a 42" video screen :)

--Credits--
Producer: Anselm v. Seherr - Thoß
Text/Sound FX: Anselm v. Seherr - Thoß
Edit/Cut: Kai Ole Petersen, Anselm v. Seherr - Thoß
Soundtrack: DJ Mortifer & CRS Beatz
Coordination/Turbo Squid Staff: Drew Gunning, Walter "Sonny" E. Averett, Christina LeBlanc, Beau Pershall

kind regards,
Anselm

PsychoSilence
08-13-2007, 03:31 PM
junst stumbled apon that post...pretty much the same way like i use to do it for arch viz...

http://www.3dslondon.co.uk/

http://www.brownsville.org.uk/graphics/3dslondon/Assets/Pdfs/ParticleflowTrees.pdf

cheers,
anselm

Glacierise
08-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Oops, hold that for a sec :) This is awesome, but I didn't understand a few things. So, he places an instance of the xref object at every particle with some obscure tool (googled to no avail), but this could be done in a script operator by object.TM=particle.TM, couldn't it? And pflow could take care for the randomizations in orientation and scale.

charleyc
08-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Oops, hold that for a sec :) This is awesome, but I didn't understand a few things. So, he places an instance of the xref object at every particle with some obscure tool (googled to no avail), but this could be done in a script operator by object.TM=particle.TM, couldn't it? And pflow could take care for the randomizations in orientation and scale.

Here is a script that does this
www.charleycarlat.com/MaxScripts/RplceParts-w-Objs.ms (http://www.charleycarlat.com/MaxScripts/RplceParts-w-Objs.ms)

Also, here are a few other scripts that I use when dealing with plants. There are things in here like paint on geometry, random transforms and some selection tools.

www.charleycarlat.com/MaxScripts/Scripts-For-Others.zip (http://www.charleycarlat.com/MaxScripts/Scripts-For-Others.zip)

Glacierise
08-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the scripts, CharleyC, much appreciated! I am using Peter Watje's scatter to paint instalnces on geometry now, it can do this too ;) And random transformations, of course.

Kostadamus
08-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Hey all, lots of info in here, not sure if this has been asked before, a search revealed nothing. What I'm trying to do is spawn a dense buncha geometry instances (leaf pettles on a stem) on a branch, ended up doing over a hundred of them by hand because I couldn't find a way for PFlow to detect whether they intersect each other or not, and there's 3 shape variations. Is there a way to set it up in PFlow so that the spawned geo doesn't intersect each other, again, it's a non standard shape not just flat planes/boxes so deflectors can't be used for detection.

Or maybe there's a script that detects intersecting geometry. Don't want to go through the pain of positioning over a hundred objects in a way that they don't go through each other again if i ever have to. Thanks in advance, i know it's a long shot.

Glacierise
08-13-2007, 11:42 PM
There is a min distance parameter in the position object operator ;)

Kostadamus
08-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Keep apart is not going to make a difference for me here, because firstly there's about 3-4 variations and i see no way to make them stay away from each other, and secondly the shapes come off branches in all kinds of crazy directions so distance itself is not the only factor but orientation is a big part of it too.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/8238/02liliacdiffusepettleyesf1.jpg

charleyc
08-14-2007, 05:51 PM
What are you going to use the plant for? I have made quite a few plants using PFlow and I know what you mean about intersecting. However, nearly all the plants I have made are done so to be viewed from enough distance that a small bit of overlapping does not even show. However, when it is more critical to reduce overlapping (it is nearly impossible to procedurally create such things without at least a bit), I create small clumps of leaves (or flowers) by hand and then use PFlow to place those. There will be some overlapping around the edges of the clump, but the majority will be seen as you hand modeled them. Your best help in doing this is to use the Separation feature in the Position Object Op that Glacierise mentioned. Beyond that, you would need PFTools Box 3 where you can get a lot more control over the particles, their placement and their rotations.

Here are some of the plants I have created, most of them used PFlow at some point, and some used it throughout.
http://www.charleycarlat.com/products/index.html

If you need to get the camera very close to a particular part of the plant, you may need to hand model that part, but you could always use PFlow to procedurally populate the areas not close to the camera.

PsychoSilence
08-14-2007, 06:02 PM
how about aligning the particles along the normals of the branch?

check teh attachment. maybe that is what u want to acchieve :)

kindest regards,
anselm

rdg
08-23-2007, 09:43 AM
I was most interested in the cube grow one...

me, too :)

If you find a way to do this with pflow would be great! I think one needs box#3 to do it ...

Here is how I did it:
http://www.count-as-one.net/figures/cubic/
My 'setup' is a set of scripts that generate the scene - not really procedural.

I first create the complete structure and then run a script to animate the scaling of the cubes.
Sometimes two or more cubes are on the same position - I deleted them by hand.
The structure is created by placing a box, selecting a random rotation axis and creating the next box pointing in this direction.

A more procedural workflow - maybe with box#3?

Use spline where the boxes should grow - preferable only using 90 degree angles and one vertex at each 'unit'.
calculate a vector for each vertex pointing to the next vertex (pos1 - pos2) and birth a particle at this vertex. orient the particle to the vector. Sync the birthing/scaling of the particle to get the growing look.

the houdini version (http://www.preset.de/2007/0626/growcubes/) doesn't use particles at all. but maybe the approach of skipping duplicate cubes could be used in max/pflow, too:
something like a script controller attaches a attribute to each vertex: -1 if the vertex is unique and the 'first occurring point number' if the vertex is placed at a position of an already existing vertex. if the vertex is processed a new cube only is created if the attribute is -1. If the attribute is not -1 then the vertex is skipped, or the already existing cube is colored, or whatever.

Georg

DaForce
08-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Great :)

Will try have a tinker on the weekend and see what I can come up with.. probably crap but will give it a shot all the same.. haha

PsychoSilence
08-24-2007, 03:48 PM
i updated my website completely with more recent works :bounce::eek:

www.3Delicious.de (http://www.3Delicious.de)

and added a new gallery in addition: FullGallery (http://core2core.de/flash/gallery/full-web)

hope u like it :)

kind regards,
anselm

PsychoSilence
08-29-2007, 11:09 AM
http://core2core.de/spielwiese/neuronal-network.jpg

Neuronal Network a Particle Flow Approach :)

kind regards,
anselm

Tunac
08-29-2007, 11:14 AM
wow awsome!!!

did you use pf toolboxes or is it just pure particle flow with some scripting?

Glacierise
08-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Awwwwwesome!

PsychoSilence
08-29-2007, 11:31 AM
plane pflow, not even scripting so far ;) wrapped into a PWrapper from GLU with very low detail and high shrinkage.

NEXT step> when the particles reach the "wall" (a SDeflector) from inside they start growing along the surface:

http://www.core2core.de/spielwiese/growing-preview2.avi
(thats a rough test i did 1,5 years ago...)

Thats pretty much the trick to keep them in a spherical environment: i grow them from the center of a SDeflector and kill every particle that finaly reaches it with a simple collision test.
here´re the references i used:
http://a.parsons.edu/~lima/visualcomplexity/images/307_big01.jpg (http://a.parsons.edu/%7Elima/visualcomplexity/images/307_big01.jpg)
http://www.math.ntnu.no/~elenac/diplomoppgaver/neurons.jpg (http://www.math.ntnu.no/%7Eelenac/diplomoppgaver/neurons.jpg)
http://www.brains-minds-media.org/archive/218/supplement/dippArticle-3.png

DekoLT did a tutorial on that growing process too btw ;) : http://www.deko.lt/cg_education.html

PS: I wonder when he makes some noise again here :sad: we miss U!!! (same goes for Loran, Glacierise, and the others...)

PPS: did u check out http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4615867&postcount=280 yet?

PsychoSilence
08-29-2007, 01:15 PM
here´s a camera zoom into teh core of the network.
it is still flickering but i guess i leave it like this for now since that flickering could be neurons traveling thru the network :D :D

sorry for a crappy rapidshare link :(
http://rapidshare.com/files/52024996/neuronal-network.mov.html
23MB

cheers
anselm

mustan9
08-29-2007, 02:09 PM

How on earth did you do that with pflow? I wouldn't think something like that was possible. Very cool!

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the other posts!

DaForce
08-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Dont suppose you could post the max file :D

PsychoSilence
08-29-2007, 03:58 PM
well, atm it is 183MB in size :(

i will post the flow later when i organized it and labeled all events. i have to admit during development everything is still called "event 01-n" etc.

i really suggest to have a look at Deko´s tutorial video above. It will lead you to quite the same effect basicly i guess. just drop the leaves of the tree, add more forces/turbolence/drag and wrap a blobmesh around it ;)...

oh, and unless u dont have 8GB of RAM like me (i have 2GB) patience is one of the most important ingerdients :D took me two days, waiting like 1/3 of the time i suppose :D unluckily i dont have a second mashine set up to my purposes at home at the moment...

kind regards,
anselm

DaForce
08-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Wow.. thats a big max file.. haha.. would rar down to like 15mb.. but thats still huge.

...how many days :|

Cool will wait patiently for the pflow layout ;)

Thanks dude.

oh yeah will check out his tuts as well.. played with a few of them ages ago. pretty neat.

nellement
08-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Hello PFlow Gurus , I want to make Objects which spread into particles now the question how can I make those Particles return In the same position and shape offcorse so when i render that object after that spreading I want it to look just like before Particle Flow touching!!Please post some tuts or suggestions Because I need to start that project for my friend!THANKS

feldy
08-29-2007, 10:34 PM
hey psyco is that the same tech you were useing for that wire scultpure you did with pflow sorry i didnt have time to read all the post if that question was answered allready. the image was sweet i did something very simlar in college but i did it with modeling and not particle based. i was doing it more for the microshader expierments more then making micro molacues ( i know that is not spelled correct).

PsychoSilence
08-29-2007, 10:58 PM
hey psyco is that the same tech you were useing for that wire scultpure you did with pflow sorry i didnt have time to read all the post if that question was answered allready. the image was sweet i did something very simlar in college but i did it with modeling and not particle based. i was doing it more for the microshader expierments more then making micro molacues ( i know that is not spelled correct).

heh actually that has nothing to do with my wire sculpture it´s just spline-ish looking as well :)

the sculpture was a very simple flow with 2 forces using lock/bond to keep the particles on a certain shape and a script that recorded the particle position at a certain inverval to generate a spline with a knot at every recorded interval after the sim run...the neuronal network is plane pflow without any script and/or lock/bond or toolbox. just a GLU PWrapper around it :)

cheers,
anselm

JohnnyRandom
08-30-2007, 04:33 PM

kind regards,
anselm

Nice dude...Absulotely insane! :arteest: is it animated?

gotta catch up on the recent posts about it.

nellement
08-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Does anybody knows answer?

JohnnyRandom
08-30-2007, 07:23 PM
@nellement - Use a birth object frame 0 to 0 emit enough particles to cover the object(s), use a position object, emit from volume or face, no speed, add a force (wind or other to interact with the particles) animate the intensity to blow the particles off of the object.

Render, reverse the footage in post.

Edit re-hashed the file
sample: Max9 + particle flow tools freebies Stop gradually

PsychoSilence
08-30-2007, 11:02 PM
3Delicious Showreel 2007-1

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=534767

http://core2core.de/flash/showreel-stills_2007-1.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=534767)

nellement
08-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks I knowed that already but I want to make this in my max scene not with Apremiere or Aft.eff Thats the problem

PsychoSilence
08-30-2007, 11:21 PM
tyson ibele once posted a solution at his forum over there at http://www.simplycg.net maybe u find answers searching there.

E voila! :http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4608042&postcount=3

kind regards,
anselm

JohnnyRandom
08-30-2007, 11:32 PM
It is done in max.:shrug: Reverse render the frames in max's video post. I would guess that is not what you are looking for though.

Ooookayy then a simple setup (make as complex as you desire:)), add an age test (set the event time to when you would like the particles to return), link that to a new event, and a find target test (choose the object, select surface normals), link that to a new event with a collision test (create and UOmniFlect, link it the the object) add a stop operand. Done.

Good link Anselm, cool technique:)

Nice reel man! Your staying busy, like the electric red spikes in the R&D spot ;) little ball shatter... nice splats:D

PsychoSilence
08-31-2007, 12:29 AM
http://core2core.de/flash/gallery/full-web/images/neuronal-network.jpg

^ stills from the actual animation :)

witkacy
08-31-2007, 04:36 PM
H I want to make Objects which spread into particles now the question how can I make those Particles return In the same position and shape offcorse so when i render that object after that spreading I want it to look just like before Particle Flow touching!!

nellement - How about the method Allan McKay uses in his tut regarding changing particles' form from one object to another:

http://www.allanmckay.com/tut/tut_ObjAB.avi

witkacy
08-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks vitkacy but I already tried that tutorial and its from one object to another thats not the problem bu I want to go on the same object at same position!!

But isn't the basic method he demonstrates (storing the vectors of each particle) adaptable for all sorts of uses, including exactly the one you're working on?

JohnnyRandom
08-31-2007, 06:51 PM
I see what you mean, I'm sure it is possible, I have to admit that's beyond my current scope of knowledge...

Somehow you are going to have to get the vector data for each particle store it and reuse it when it comes time to reassemble the object. Sounds like a Script operator or a Pflow Box #3 job to me (sorry can't help much there)

nellement
08-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks Psycho I will try that and see what i can get
Thanks Johnny but I want them to came back to their riginal position and facing.

Thanks vitkacy but I already tried that tutorial and its from one object to another thats not the problem bu I want to go on the same object at same position!!

PsychoSilence
08-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Here´s the flow finally:
http://core2core.de/spielwiese/neuronal-network.gif
BIIIG sorry that i haven´t named the events and siginficant operators yet. Usually i keep my flows in order... But my excuse is i had to finish my new reel entirely for a fair until the weekend.

Here´s a viewport preview of the flow (not the entire range i used though but u get an idea):
http://core2core.de/spielwiese/neuronal-network.avi
taken further (not like in my reel):
When the particle stream (yellow particles) hits the outer hull (in my case a simple Sphere&SDeflector but could be ANY mesh basicly) it starts growing along the hulls normals (now plugins are involved: LOCK/BOND red particles) :) A few particles dont take the collision into account and keep on growing to eternity...if u can enlighten me with that go ahead :thumbsup:

hope u still like it
Anselm

nellement
09-01-2007, 02:28 AM
I already tried that and it doesnt work for my case here because I want them to go back to their previous position and same facing and shape not to another object thats the problem

JohnnyRandom
09-01-2007, 04:21 AM
hope u still like it
Anselm

LOL, yep still like it...in fact it's bada$$
great viewport shot, tried rendering it in krakatoa just for kicks?

Silly question but I am curious, how long did it take to calculate? (coming from one with little tolerance for sim times)

DaForce
09-01-2007, 05:45 AM
Here´s the flow finally:
http://core2core.de/spielwiese/neuronal-network.gif
BIIIG sorry that i haven´t named the events and siginficant operators yet. Usually i keep my flows in order... But my excuse is i had to finish my new reel entirely for a fair until the weekend.

Here´s a viewport preview of the flow (not the entire range i used though but u get an idea):
http://core2core.de/spielwiese/neuronal-network.avi
taken further (not like in my reel):
When the particle stream hits the outer hull (in my case a simple Sphere&SDeflector but could be ANY mesh basicly) it starts growing along the hulls normals (now plugins are involved: LOCK/BOND) :) A few particles dont take the collision into account and keep on growing to eternity...if u can enlighten me with that go ahead :thumbsup:

hope u still like it
Anselm

Brilliant thanks dude. Will see what I can come up with :D
Weird how some of them bust out and just fly off.....

PsychoSilence
09-01-2007, 03:27 PM
thanks Johnny and DaForce :wavey::beer:

@ Johnny: the calculation on render time took 2 hours for 200 frames on my Centrino DUO 2x2 GHz, 2GB Ram, nVidia 7900GS notebook. 11:25 > 1:20 to be precise :)

That rendering from my reel is not the taken further version with surface grow u see in the screenshot above and is done without any plugins as a proof of concept. so i didnt use box#3 cache or box#1 lock/bond there. just plane pflow as it ships. if i would render it again with surface grow i would definitely cache it and instance most of the operators :) the performance of the flow as it is in the screenshot could be improved dramaticly i guess...but that was not the task for now :D

I haven´t bought krakatoa yet :cry: i guess my license run out already...

@ DaForce: yeah *blush* i have no proper explanation for that phenomenon. i´ll ask at orbaz :)

kind regards,
anselm

JohnnyRandom
09-02-2007, 12:08 AM
That's quite a bit better than I expected (2 hours). With all the spawns, collision test and the keep aparts I figured it to be quite a bit longer.

I noticed you didn't use any of the pf box ops and I was a little surpised .I expected to see some box3 action in there. It's way cool you did it without so us box3-less folks can get a good idea of whats going on.

For the errant particles, maybe adding another collision test with a deflector slightly larger than the first linked to a delete?

As for krakatoa, my trial has gone by the wayside too... you can still render it out albiet with as Bobo put it "a slightly unobtrusize watermark":D

Tough decision I would really like to pick up a seat, but I am waiting with great anticipation for PF Box2, I could see as soon as a buy krakato, Oleg will announce something:D

ArtiZta
09-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi All,
It's been so long since I last posted in this thread :)
anyway, I'm about to have a project for makin fairies, can anyone sugest my some techniques for the fairy tails/stardust. So far on my RnD I'm getting the motion fine, but when it gets to make the glow & highlights thourgh max effect optin it stucks the rendering time.

Also, is it possible to have instance shape's group parts to spawn particles??...

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

PsychoSilence
09-02-2007, 01:34 PM
don´t render post effects in max...

what postproduction/compositing software do u use? i´m sure even without 3rd party plugins u can achieve a pretty neat glow and sparkling/lens flares.

render your particle pass separate and then go knee deep in comping ;)

Concerning your shape instance as emitter question: it is using a kinda hack. mesher compound objects (check attachment). NOTE: your particle system and the mesher compound object need to be at the exact position to match. so align the mesher to where ever your flow is located in the viewport (in my case the grid center). The particle system wrapped by the Mesher is set to non renderable by right clicking the root event and editing the properties. How ever this is a hack and might be worked out in Box#2. The performance can decrease dramaticly when your flow has a massive particle/shape count...

kind regards,
anselm

ArtiZta
09-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi Anselm,
Will try the meshe in a moment, it's looks like a good workaround. I might be having at least 20 instance objects. Do you think it might work with grouped/linked (parent, child) objects as well?

As for comp. I usually use DFusion or Combustion, but this project might be composed in Flame. But before it gets there I want to make sure it works and can show the Flame artist what it shuld look like.

The other challange I'll have is to have different glow & flares within depth.
case: I'm going to make a sphere on which the particles (fairies) will be placed randomly on surface, the sphere will be moving along with a live shoot character, just like a forcefield. now the question is to have those fairies glow & flare different when they are behind the foregroud ones. So should be able to tell a diference between depth and get the feeling that the sphere is hollow.

will post a previz when I get home.

Cheers,

nellement
09-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Does anybody knows how to achieve this?

Wicked
09-03-2007, 06:06 PM
You could make the animation, and play it backwards..? (Either in (3ds Max's) Video-Post or in a editing program)

But this is already mentioned, and it doesn't seem to work for you..?
Can you post a max file or a screenshot? I think that would brighten up your problem a lot.

nellement
09-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks I have another cooler idea to make dust on object which spread it out like the real
dust,Now I have attached the max 9 scene for u to help me achieve that natural and realistic dust motion and if u want to u can make better box rotation noisier like it was earth quake .The scene has the box wich will be the dummy for the high detailed object later So If u know how to achieve this realistic and natural motion Do it yourself or post me some tips or tricks suggestions etc...THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

ArtiZta
09-04-2007, 04:17 AM
Thanks I have another cooler idea to make dust on object which spread it out like the real
dust,Now I have attached the max 9 scene for u to help me achieve that natural and realistic dust motion and if u want to u can make better box rotation noisier like it was earth quake .The scene has the box wich will be the dummy for the high detailed object later So If u know how to achieve this realistic and natural motion Do it yourself or post me some tips or tricks suggestions etc...THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Hi nellement,
Sorry I got late on your subject, did check your previous posts but can't really understand what is it that you're after? I've got your max file with the dust, now you want those particles that fell down to come back again or what?

What is it actually you want to make/achive? I don't mean techincally?

Pozdrav,
Milan

nellement
09-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Moja prva ideja je bila da napravim fragmentaciju objecta i ti djelici se raspadnu uz wind ili vortex spacewarp i onda vrate na istu poziciju i istu rotaciju znachi da objecat izgleda potpuno isto kao i prije raspada ,Ali poshto mi niko nije odgovarao mislio sam na ovaj drugi effecat prashine kako stoji na objectu i onda uz pomoc neke sile se rasprshi po prostoru isto kao kad dunesh i prashina odleti stim shto ovdje je kocka ta koja se trese i stvara taj efecat rasprshenja koji bih ja volio da mi pomognete da ostvarim!!

Tunac
09-04-2007, 11:36 AM
maybe something like this?

nellement
09-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks but I want Dust motion :D

Wicked
09-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Getting a realistic dust motion is pretty hard to accomplish.
Anyway, take a look at the attachment. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it has a pretty nice effect if I may say so :D

It might bring you on an idea..

nellement
09-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks I had replaced the box with my logo and it wont show particles on it I positioned particles on the logo in the positionOBJ_Operator and they wont show exactly like they have to Whats the problem .

here is scene

Wicked
09-04-2007, 05:05 PM
1) you had no target selected in your Shape Facing operator
2) you had your display still set to dots. You can't render dots ;) only Geometry

nellement
09-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks but I dont see them in the scene ,because its all the same animation as the scene friend 2 but with new object ,Try the scene file friend 4 u will see whats the problem!! :banghead:

Wicked
09-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks but I dont see them in the scene ,because its all the same animation as the scene friend 2 but with new object ,Try the scene file friend 4 u will see whats the problem!! :banghead:
Obviously I did, how else do you think I saw that:
1) you had no target selected in your Shape Facing operator
2) you had your display still set to dots. You can't render dots ;) only Geometry

nellement
09-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks wicked it works now ,what u think of motion is it realistic?

ArtiZta
09-04-2007, 06:17 PM
ok, I managed few minutes to make you a sample for the motion. check it out.. if needed facing just change the sahape, pick the camera and so on.. using Afterburn might help as well to have it look like dust effect. (is that kind of motion you were after?)

Try avoiding usage of UDeflector, it's killing the system.

As for the previous question I remember one insurance company in thailand had things like that, the house blowing up a part and the coming back to the original shape. I believe they did it in few passes, so not the same particles are coming back to their position. maybe few different emmiters.

Cheers

ps: na srpskom mi mozes pm, nemoj ovde ;)

Wicked
09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks wicked it works now ,what u think of motion is it realistic?

No, it needs a lot of tweaking to move like dust.
Take a look at www.lucidmovement.com (http://www.lucidmovement.com) and search for dust clips. Very usefull to study movement of various kind of fluids, gas etc.

Are you planning to make an animation? (I guess so, why else you would need realistic motion :P )
If not, you could consider the use of an SuperSpray in stead of PFlow.

nellement
09-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks I will search and see than post updates!!

nellement
09-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Sorry artizta i didnt saw your post I will try that.

nellement
09-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Artizta can u upload .rar file because it wont work when i downloaded the zip,Thanks

nellement
09-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Artizta the zip file has errors if u can post .rar file or a new zip ,Thanks!! :thumbsup:

ArtiZta
09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Here it goes..
hope it works.

nellement
09-04-2007, 06:44 PM
No it wont work I dont know why can u convert it to .rar

And I have Afterburn.Thanks

ArtiZta
09-04-2007, 06:47 PM
No it wont work I dont know why can u convert it to .rar

And I have Afterburn.Thanks

Sorry, forgot to mention, it is rar, I just renamed it to .zip so it will upload.
Just rename the .zip to .rar and it should work... :)

nellement
09-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks I will try to use it with the real object like in the scene friend 04 that I had posted to wicked,Also u can try and have fun!! :thumbsup:

ArtiZta
09-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Btw, I noticed your logo box has high level of polygons, you might want to try useing Position object by selected faces, and also try putting spherical wind in the middle so no dust particles go into the box once they leave the surfaces. But most of the time it's not visible :)

cheers

nellement
09-04-2007, 07:05 PM
By the way do u like the logo :thumbsup:

nellement
09-04-2007, 07:07 PM
I will try and post updates ....By the way do u like the logo :thumbsup:

nellement
09-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Update test ,next thing which id like to do is to birth on texture density

ArtiZta
09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Update test ,next thing which id like to do is to birth on texture density

Just use "Selected Face" in your position object and activate Density by material. But 1st make a mask texture for your emitter object, using noise or any dust texture you want.

nellement
09-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks I will use some dirty grungy wall textures and hope to get some nice effect!! :thumbsup:

nellement
09-06-2007, 12:33 PM
There is a problem with birth on texture ,I set the Greyscale Dirt texture bitmap and the particles emit from that greyscale bitmap with no problem and from right place on the surface the problem is I want to have my old material shader on my object and not the Dirt map bitmap in the diffuse,So how can I make surface to not render with my shader and particles still see it for their birth?

nellement
09-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Does someone knows is it possible to Load Live camera motion into max camera,if it is how to do that,and is there any website from which I can download that data for free?
TANKS IN ADVANCE!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

loran
09-06-2007, 01:40 PM
it s a little bit off topic but you can use a camera linked to a dummy with noise ctrl for handshake animation. You can also use motion capture by mouse to add very realistic jiggs motion in the focal.

grury
09-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Does someone knows is it possible to Load Live camera motion into max camera,if it is how to do that,and is there any website from which I can download that data for free?
TANKS IN ADVANCE!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dude, this is a PFlow specific thread. Its just annoying that in the past few pages theres about 15 one line posts from you, some of them with few minutes inbetween..it makes it a nitemare for someone that wants to search the trhread for some relevant information.

This your last post could very well been posted on the 3DS Max thread. You would get quicker reply and help as well as not filling this thread with irrelevant stuff.

nellement
09-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks Loran I will try that,grury I know that sorry!!
Do you know the answer of questions I posted THANKS IN ADVANCE :thumbsup:

ArtiZta
09-07-2007, 02:00 AM
There is a problem with birth on texture ,I set the Greyscale Dirt texture bitmap and the particles emit from that greyscale bitmap with no problem and from right place on the surface the problem is I want to have my old material shader on my object and not the Dirt map bitmap in the diffuse,So how can I make surface to not render with my shader and particles still see it for their birth?

nellement, render the dust effect as a sepparate passes with matte, then render the logo with original texture and compose them together.

Cheers

nellement
09-07-2007, 09:09 PM
This is the update of the motion so tell if it is realistic enough or it needs to be better,if its good i will do some rendering and finish the progress sorry for the low quality but its just test :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

here is the link
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/nellement/?action=view&current=test_box_Dust_motion.flv

and

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/nellement/?action=view&current=test_particles_blur.flv

ArtiZta
09-09-2007, 09:10 AM
This must've been asked before... kinda silly, but I'm having problems with spawn, if i have two spawn test in one even, the second spawn doesn't spawn the same amout as the 1st one eventhough the settings are same.
What am I missing here? Can anyone help?

Cheers

Phibmobil
09-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Works here..

entrancea
09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
try to decrease the spawned particles speed influence due to parent from 100% to 80% or less and increase the divergence....see if it works.

entrancea
09-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I am working on a Rainfall Scene right now and my scene scale is in Feet.Allright,now whats wrong is my PFlow is responding extreeeemly slowly:eek: ....I have a high mesh model as a deflector...maybe thats why!!If so then how can I solve it?I am using Krakatoa to render the rainfall and upon trying to get a quick render it sems that my PFlow is taking ages to render....I mean my PFlow keeps updating again and again and takes 5 to 15mins to update:banghead: .....Oh Boy!I am lost....what could I do to speed things up guys?Help....:sad:

OlegB
09-21-2007, 11:38 AM
what could I do to speed things up guys?
Simplifying the deflector geometry?

Thanks,
Oleg B.

entrancea
09-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Yeah I think I got it.....I'll use the optimize tool to reduce its poly count....

Thanks Oleg.

PsychoSilence
09-21-2007, 02:46 PM
as oleg say (always :D )

it is a good manner to set up a layer system with the layermanager. my Maxstart.max already has layers assigned. see attachment:

CHARACTER > all characters go here...
STAGE > all cameras,lights, domelights etc. what is neccessary for the staging goes here.
PARTICLES > all flows, deflectors, low poly coll objects, forces go here.
ENV > all the environment the character/Pflow doent have to react with goes here.
RIG > any rigs and helpers go here. if there´s more then one character > 1 rig layer each.

ArtiZta
09-21-2007, 04:53 PM
entrancea:
in my experience using mesh as a deflector with UDeflector really takes my system resources. Are you using UDeflector? With heavy particle count really it just can't stop calculating pflow. Sometimes I simplify the model as Oleg mentioned, but sometimes I just use SDeflectors or Deflectors lined up so they almost make the shape of the object, but haven't used that technique on really complicated objects.

PsychoSilence:
Good thing, thanks for the input :)

... now as for my spawn question.. strange, I still have the problem with 2 spawns in row.. the lower one doesn't spawn as many particle as it should. But at the end for my project I endup using 1 spawn, and timed it with age test.

Cheers

entrancea
09-22-2007, 04:07 AM
ArtiZta:
You're right:bounce: ....I am using a UDeflector with the object....Thing is that I want the rainfall to drop on this guy and spawn particles as in realworld...so...my only option I guess is to use the optimize modifier to tune the model down into low mesh....

PsychoSilence:
I agree with you man:thumbsup: ...I always try to keep everything in layers so as to optimize workflow..

Thanks..

nitrocom
09-22-2007, 01:47 PM
It's very hard to play with udeflector and pflow when they are used together, even in 2500 count! And sometimes using cache even does not work! Well, from my experiences, using optimised mesh(actually, with 10 percent of actual model's polygon count) and udeflector works very well together (and a cache :) )

Well anyway, many people said this, now I'm looking for a new way to reduce time :)

entrancea
09-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah....I used optimise mesh and got things to speed up....but really....there should be some way of working around while using PFlow and High Meshes together....I'm sure in future upgrades there might be some tools to do this:) ....Would be much easier.....

ArtiZta
09-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Interesting with shape instance operator I used animated mesh, which is animated using point cache, now the animated shape option is on and its working fine within the event, but when it goes to next even it stops. Event though it's animation offset is set to use absolute time.

The only solution I found is to have another shape instance operator in the other/next event, but apparently it really takes out the system resources. Is there something wrong I'm doing, is there a workaround this problem or it just has to be like that? Can anyone help?

Cheers

nitrocom
09-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Yep, it works like that! I'm not sure how to change or things are changable here, at this situation, however, I'm setting events up in this way, even after you asked, I tried again and cant find a solution!

And yes, even in 2500 p.count it blows my machine away!!!

OlegB
09-22-2007, 05:26 PM
An alternative solution is Box#3 where the performance of the standard Shape Instance operator is accelerated.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

JohnnyRandom
09-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Interesting with shape instance operator I used animated mesh, which is animated using point cache, now the animated shape option is on and its working fine within the event, but when it goes to next even it stops. Event though it's animation offset is set to use absolute time.

The only solution I found is to have another shape instance operator in the other/next event, but apparently it really takes out the system resources. Is there something wrong I'm doing, is there a workaround this problem or it just has to be like that? Can anyone help?

Cheers

I am not sure of the situation but have you tried putting a shape instance in the global event? Or possibley an instance of the shape instance instead of a new shape instance in the next event?

ArtiZta
09-22-2007, 07:11 PM
I am not sure of the situation but have you tried putting a shape instance in the global event? Or possibley an instance of the shape instance instead of a new shape instance in the next event?

Yes, tried that, still same. Also can't put the shape instance in the global event coz I have other spawned particles with different shape....
But since Oleg said the only alternative solution is with box#3, then i guess there is no other workaround this, will have to cheat out my meshes as not animated in few events.

btw, Thanks John.

PsychoSilence
09-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Long time no see...
Stumbling upon a thread about creating a flood CHEAP (meaning NO Flowline, NO Realfow, NO Plugins) in a german MAX forum i sacrificed some spare time with R&D starting from scratch...

Feel free to download:
FLOOD (Contains MAX8 File & Screenshot) (http://core2core.de/spielwiese/hochwasser.zip)

http://core2core.de/spielwiese/hochwasser.jpg

kindest regards,
Anselm

noouch
09-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Frantic won't be happy that you just stole their name :D

Bobo
09-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Frantic won't be happy that you just stole their name :D

Yeah, we are warming up the black helicopters and a squad of vicious ninja killer bunnies is waiting outside to leave for Germany any minute now... :twisted:

PsychoSilence
09-26-2007, 01:31 AM
hehe! I´m sorry for having done a FLOOD©®™ scene :D
they just arrived...
http://www.hardwired.hu/img/wg/2/825/Rayman_Raving_Rabbids_4.jpg

SoLiTuDe
09-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Edit: Removed sensitive information. :)

PsychoSilence
09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=544156&page=1&pp=15 ;)

JohnnyRandom
09-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Nice Flood:)

I like the Liquid Dress too;) Do you have any motion previews?

PsychoSilence
09-27-2007, 09:00 PM
all 4 motion layers as previews:

http://rapidshare.com/files/58696642/MAKING-OF.rar.html
(sorry for rapidshare link)

i used serveral frames to wrap those in a pwrapper then...

JohnnyRandom
09-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Interesting approach, it worked really well, the still you created from it, the dress looks very dynamic.

grury
09-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Great stuff. Cant wait to see a full render of the animation.
Was the last sim, 4th clip, also done in Fume? It looks more like PFlow.

entrancea
09-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Looks Icy Cool Dude.....Impressive....will be anxiously waiting for a full render...:thumbsup:

Cheers.

PsychoSilence
09-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Great stuff. Cant wait to see a full render of the animation.
Was the last sim, 4th clip, also done in Fume? It looks more like PFlow.

you´re right. two of the simulations are just pflow. the watermotion is frume driven (vid1) then more dramatic motion for secondary waves with some wind as exrea force (vid2). vid3 and vid4 are pflow with random walk and some blur wind. for the little splashes and splash streaks (spawn by travel distance...).

cheers,
anselm

PsychoSilence
10-03-2007, 07:45 AM
The Making Of "Liquid Dress" (http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs21/f/2007/275/4/d/Liquid_Dress_MakingOf_by_psychosilence.mov)

mild nudity (!)

and i updated my showreel: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=534767

just in case u havent seen it yet...

PsychoSilence
10-03-2007, 07:09 PM
helped out at a german max forum again...

Money Makes the World go round! (http://core2core.de/spielwiese/geldsegen.zip)

http://www.core2core.de/spielwiese/geldsegen.jpg

just in case someone is interested...thought i share it here too...

JohnnyRandom
10-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Nice:) I like how you animated the bill shapes:thumbsup:

JohnnyRandom
10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Oleg released an update Particle Flow Freebies. In case you guys hadn't heard.

Question...

Have any of you guys gotten it to work in Max9 x64 or Max2k8 x64?

I replaced the current beta .dlo with the new one and know no go?

I get the error upon starting max:
DLL <F:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\plugins\ParticleFlowTools\ParticleFlowToolsFreebies.dlo> failed to initialize.
Error Code: 14001 - This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Any Ideas?

EDIT: 32-bit versions work fine seems to be 64-bit related.

Glacierise
10-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Works fine here, too. Are you sure you have installed the 64bit version?

PsychoSilence
10-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Happy Birthday Ian!!!
Yesterday our all well known DJSolitude celebrated his Birthday...:buttrock: :bowdown::beer::wavey::bounce: thanks for everything. Hope UR present fits well on your desk >D

(sorry for off topic :) )

JohnnyRandom
10-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Works fine here, too. Are you sure you have installed the 64bit version?

Thanks for the reply, Yep I, checked, double checked, and triple checked. Downloaded it a couple times just to be sure.

ParticleLowToolsFreebies.dlo 335 KB created 10/21/2007. Simply replaced the old 64-bit with the new 64-bit version, the old one worked fine in max9 x64.

The new 32-bit version works fine in 32-bit max.

Not sure whats up:shrug:

Happy B-day Ian:beer:

PsychoSilence
10-25-2007, 07:46 PM
i have the same error with max9-32 :( downloaded the new version from 10/21...:scream:

SoLiTuDe
10-25-2007, 07:54 PM
lol Thanks guys! :beer: Especially Anselm! I'll take a pic of my desk when i get your gift. :)

PsychoSilence
10-25-2007, 08:02 PM
wired it isn´t there yet :D should have been there in time...anyways. should come shortly :D

OlegB
10-26-2007, 12:58 PM
JohnnyRandom & PsychoSilence,

Version 1.072 of Freebies should fix the problem - please re-download.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

PsychoSilence
10-26-2007, 04:12 PM
works here :)

thank you oleg! :bounce:

JohnnyRandom
10-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Here too, in both Max9 x64 & max2k8 x64.

Thanks again Oleg!:)

loran
11-09-2007, 08:53 PM
do you see this contest :
http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/

go to view all entries

amazing things to do with PF for that type of creation :)

I like this one (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=229&t=557302)
and this one (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=229&t=558313) too

feldy
11-09-2007, 09:30 PM
looks cool i dont see were it was done with pflow the first one says maya and the 2nd didnt say. or are you saying we should do this same kinda thing with pflow?

PsychoSilence
11-09-2007, 10:14 PM
feldyyyyyyyy! loraaaaaaaaaaaan! ur back! thiws thread is dying! we gotta keep it alive!!!

nice stuff!

andyburm
11-13-2007, 07:09 PM
got a question regarding Bobo's or Allan's frag script...

is there a way to have the script start at a different frame than 0?
I am simulating a breaking window and need to birth the "particles to mesh" at a certain frame.

....or as a work-around how would I animate the visibility of the particles/mesh?

on ChannelsUsed pCont do
(
pcont.usetm = true
pcont.useshape = true
)
on Init pCont do
(
global FracCol = $Fragments_* as array
)
on Proceed pCont do
(
t1 = pCont.getTimeStart() as float
t2 = pCont.getTimeEnd() as float

if ((t1 <= 0) and (t2 >= 0)) then
(
(
pcont.addparticles FracCol.count
for i in 1 to FracCol.count do
(
pcont.particleindex = i
pcont.particleshape = FracCol[i].mesh
pcont.particletm = FracCol[i].transform
)
)
)
)
on Release pCont do
(
gc()
)

PsychoSilence
11-13-2007, 08:49 PM
just start ur particle animation at the desired frame and animate the visibility! that does the trick!

just animate your windows visibility from 1,0 to 0,0 in the very first frame where your particle animation starts. in the same frame animate the particle flow visibility from 0,0 to 1,0 so u kinda exchange the mesh. just right click the root event of ur pflow and animate the properties. done a few times...always worked out!

if u have the first vfx dvd from allan mckay have a look at the "5.4.ParticlesAndGeometry" section ;)

kinde regards,
anselm

feldy
11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
yep i always use that same soultution aswell works great.

entrancea
11-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey Guys,
Got a question!How can I simulate a Bullet Breaking a Glass into fragments?I just got the latest issue of 3D World and saw a tutorial there for this kind of effect but this was in Blender...So anything like this in Max?

Thanks and Cheers,
Entrancea

loran
11-15-2007, 01:31 PM
If you want some help, please post the links you are talking about .

feldy
11-15-2007, 05:17 PM
lol either way with out the link. most tourtials the idea of them will transfer over to any 3d package. so you can do this two ways. 1 you could make it a total particle simulation with a few scripts that turn your fractured segments into particles, then what you would do is have a particle as the bullet shoot that through the object then on collision start the event of the glass breaking. hopefully you know a bit about particle flow and understand what i am talking about. if not. what you could do is use reactor for a rigid body simulation. you would hand animate the bullet going through the glass. you would use reactor make that object unyeilding. then on your peices you would assign a fratcure helper and apply a rigid body collection to all the chucks even the bullet. if you havent used pflow or reactor there are a bunch of great help files that come with max checkem out. cheers-

feldy
11-15-2007, 05:20 PM
to many delete

feldy
11-15-2007, 05:21 PM
duped remove

PsychoSilence
11-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey Guys,
Got a question!How can I simulate a Bullet Breaking a Glass into fragments?I just got the latest issue of 3D World and saw a tutorial there for this kind of effect but this was in Blender...So anything like this in Max?

Thanks and Cheers,
Entrancea

the most procedural way would be thinking particles for sure...

other then that prefracture ur geometry with scripts like SplitItUp or MBFracture and use a BirthScript like that one:

on ChannelsUsed pCont do
(
pCont.useAge = true
pCont.useTM = true
pCont.useShape = true
)

on Init pCont do
(
global ChunksArray = $frag_* as array
)

on Proceed pCont do
(
t = pCont.getTimeStart() as float

if t < 0 do
(
NumChunks = ChunksArray.count
for i = 1 to NumChunks do
(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex = pCont.NumParticles()
pCont.particleAge = 0
pCont.particleTM = ChunksArray[i].transform
pCont.particleShape = ChunksArray[i].mesh
)
)
)

on Release pCont do
(

)

either mass rename ur fragmented objects to frag_* or change the script...then use forces and/or a spherical deflector linked to the bullet to trigger the fragmentation. OR a lot easier AND providing correct collision: simply use the Reactor Fragture.......sometimes the built in tools are still the best choice ;) Allan has a Reactor Fracture tutorial on his first PFlow dvd.

cheers,
anselm

feldy
11-15-2007, 06:56 PM
the script physco posted was the exact script i was talking about. thanks dude for posting it. as far as thinking particles i hear they have great fracture stuff but i have no experience with it. Also it cost money when you can do what you need straight out of the box.

andyburm
11-15-2007, 09:16 PM
thanks for the tip Anselm, TP2 is going to be great.....but once Box2 is released I am sure there's no need for that....

entrancea
11-16-2007, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the reply guys,:)

Well First I had figuered out that I could do it with the fracture script,but what I wanted to achieve was to get the centre of impact blowing out and then the rest of the glasses would fall out like Soft Selection.

Well I am trying it out right now and will post some videos after am done.:)

Thanks and Cheers,
Entrancea

PsychoSilence
11-16-2007, 09:41 AM
thanks for the tip Anselm, TP2 is going to be great.....but once Box2 is released I am sure there's no need for that....

oh there will always be a use and need for thinking particles. even with box#2 u cant do fracturing and/or soft body collision as u can do it in tp3 beta...and the tp3 caching stack system is truely astonishing! i will always love pflow for sure as i love all orbaz products. but i´m totally aware of the fact that there´s still some stuff it can´t do...

btw i´m not getting any money or discount for evangelizing pflow :thumbsup::D

BTW: Off topic BUT from immense importance imo:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1002&Itemid=66
The Houdini Apprentice HD “Starving Artist” Edition

i´m buying ;)

PsychoSilence
11-16-2007, 05:47 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120427

my render presets ;) :thumbsup::bounce::love:

charleyc
11-16-2007, 06:34 PM
...even with box#2 u cant do fracturing and/or soft body collision

Actually we don't know what will fully be available in Box2 by the time it is released.

Digital Masta
11-17-2007, 01:24 AM
the most procedural way would be thinking particles for sure...

other then that prefracture ur geometry with scripts like SplitItUp or MBFracture and use a BirthScript like that one:

on ChannelsUsed pCont do
(
pCont.useAge = true
pCont.useTM = true
pCont.useShape = true
)

on Init pCont do
(
global ChunksArray = $frag_* as array
)

on Proceed pCont do
(
t = pCont.getTimeStart() as float

if t < 0 do
(
NumChunks = ChunksArray.count
for i = 1 to NumChunks do
(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex = pCont.NumParticles()
pCont.particleAge = 0
pCont.particleTM = ChunksArray[i].transform
pCont.particleShape = ChunksArray[i].mesh
)
)
)

on Release pCont do
(

)

either mass rename ur fragmented objects to frag_* or change the script...then use forces and/or a spherical deflector linked to the bullet to trigger the fragmentation. OR a lot easier AND providing correct collision: simply use the Reactor Fragture.......sometimes the built in tools are still the best choice ;) Allan has a Reactor Fracture tutorial on his first PFlow dvd.

cheers,
anselm

Seeing as my maxscript ability is virtually...zero, what exactly is that script doing?

feldy
11-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Ok so what this script is doing is taking a fractured object that had many chunks and replacing that with a particle version of it so you can do you what you like with it. Example you modeled a fence out in a field somewhere and a tornado comes and whips it up. You can use a fracture script or do it by hand break it up. Use this script in pflow and the particles take the place of the fence. It’s in the same place as it was and all the pieces are there in mesh form in the correct place. Now you can use a deflector or what ever animate it passing through the fence. That deflector would send the particles off to a new event. That event would be part were you would throw the fences pieces up in the air when the tornado passes through it. Umm take a look at Allan McKay’s cga afterburn DVDs #2 he does this same thing but with a plane and its chairs and throws them up in the air when the fireball passes through it. My scripting isn’t great at all I just know how to get in there and change it to my needs. Heres the link to the dvd http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_plugins/dvds_afterburnmasters2/dvds_afterburnmasters2.php (http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_plugins/dvds_afterburnmasters2/dvds_afterburnmasters2.php)

Bobo
11-17-2007, 02:11 AM
Seeing as my maxscript ability is virtually...zero, what exactly is that script doing?

http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs5/pflow/pflow__Chunks_Basics.htm

The bottom of the page explains the code, line by line.

andyburm
11-17-2007, 02:26 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120427

my render presets ;) :thumbsup::bounce::love:

that's pretty funny.....is it functional?

Digital Masta
11-18-2007, 06:32 AM
So I was wondering, after everything is fractured and you have your particles replicating the factured objects, how do you get them to be aligned with the geometry. They aren't generated on the pf source so I can't align it that way.

I uploaded a pic, the grey parts are the original geometry and the lighter parts are the particles, notice they are not aligned and they are also spread out as opposed to the geometry which isn't.

Glacierise
11-18-2007, 07:04 AM
I don't know about the proper way, but here's how I do it :) I put a position icon operator, and then turn it off. Voilla - particles are positioned properly :D

Bobo
11-18-2007, 07:12 AM
So I was wondering, after everything is fractured and you have your particles replicating the factured objects, how do you get them to be aligned with the geometry. They aren't generated on the pf source so I can't align it that way.

I uploaded a pic, the grey parts are the original geometry and the lighter parts are the particles, notice they are not aligned and they are also spread out as opposed to the geometry which isn't.

In the script, there is a line that tells each particle to be EXACTLY where the chunk is, by assigning its transformation matrix (position, rotation and scale) to the particle.

You must have done something wrong, because normally the particle system should be indistinguishable from the original fractured object. Obviously, you shouldn't have any position or rotation operators in that part of the flow, the script operator should take care of position, rotation, scale and shape.

Glacierise
11-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Will investigate this.

yoni-cohen
11-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Make sure to center the pivot of each chunk and then reset their xforms.

Glacierise
11-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Yes, that was it, of course :)

loran
11-19-2007, 09:08 AM
basic process is describe here (http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/tutorials/tutorial_index/particle_flow_desintegration/) ;)

Digital Masta
11-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Make sure to center the pivot of each chunk and then reset their xforms.

Turns out it was the xform issue.

Another question I have is, do you have to treat Visibility Tracks differently when it comes to particles? The reason I ask is because everything else that has a visibility track works the way it's supposed to, yet the particles are not dissappearing when I want them to and then re-appearing when I tell them to.

entrancea
11-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Another question I have is, do you have to treat Visibility Tracks differently when it comes to particles? The reason I ask is because everything else that has a visibility track works the way it's supposed to, yet the particles are not dissappearing when I want them to and then re-appearing when I tell them to.

I you want to control the visibility of your particles then a simple way of approach would be to key animate the material opacity and applying the material to the Particles.

Cheers,
Entrancea

PsychoSilence
11-25-2007, 08:02 PM
http://www.siga-schimmellabor.ch/images/Labor%20150%20px.jpg (http://www.siga-schimmellabor.ch/)

http://www.siga-schimmellabor.ch/

the spot you might have seen my R&D (PFlow shattering, krakatoa tests, growing mold, etc...) for some time ago is finally online ;)

have fun.

JohnnyRandom
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
A+ Dude, since my Deutsch is virtually non-existant it took me until the end to figure out it was a tape ad! Well done, thanks for sharing:)

Glacierise
11-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Wow, awesome! And pretty brutal :D

PsychoSilence
11-25-2007, 09:00 PM
A+ Dude, since my Deutsch is virtually non-existant it took me until the end to figure out it was a tape ad! Well done, thanks for sharing:)

Wow, awesome! And pretty brutal :D

thanks, bro! yeah it for the swiss market actually but i guess you get what its about :D unfortunately it doesn´t contain all effects we did...shockfreezing then shattering the monster was fun etc...but turned out okay for that minimal amount of time we had being a small team.

thanks again and kindest regards,
anselm

PsychoSilence
11-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Kotau´s to teh ground to Brandon Riza from Blur...you all might know him and the otheres. i kinda stumble apon his page again from time to time...new stuff looks great!

http://brandonriza.com/3DVisualEffects/HTML/3DVisualEffects.htm

kinde regards
anselm

loran
11-26-2007, 05:50 PM
this is amazing!
Do you know how does he manage the fluid like smoke motion? is it pure Pf or does he use fumefx or realflow or something else? the preview show particles as Ticks like PF do...
the wired preview are much more beautifull than the final render :)

very nice link ! thx

SoLiTuDe
11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Loran: Any one in particular???

--he (we now) creates previews using pflow + wind for approval of motion, so we'll all know what it's gonna look like (part of the approval process) then he'll use Fume for the final smoke. :)

PsychoSilence
11-28-2007, 12:17 PM
the pin-game:
http://www.st-antonius-papenburg.de/images/nagelbrett.jpg
http://www.aha-zurich.ch/images/s_nagelbrett_k.jpg

of cause animatable ;)
box#3 tutorial file "size by color" modified...redered a z-buffer from the skull and used it as distribution/height map...

cheers,
anselm

PsychoSilence
11-28-2007, 12:47 PM
http://ftp.headshot.pl/randall/m_subocz_demo2007_midQ.mov

skip to the last effect with the dancing woman!

just wanted to share...

PsychoSilence
11-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Posting Hattrick!!! :D (who else...)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4802559&postcount=40 ;) lemme know what u think...

loran
11-28-2007, 04:15 PM
the pin game doesn t need particles. use a Plane+ dispalce and scatter pin over it. Its faster than Pf :)

PsychoSilence
11-28-2007, 04:40 PM
even PArray would do the job :D but is was more in terms of learning box#3...R&D...

charleyc
11-28-2007, 04:56 PM
You can also use this
http://www.orbaz.com/tutorials/tutorial3.html

JohnnyRandom
11-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Posting Hattrick!!! :D (who else...)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4802559&postcount=40 ;) lemme know what u think...

The Digital Detroyer:D

Cool pin board;)

Hey charleyc thanks for putting those Box#3 tuts. together:) any plans for more?

charleyc
11-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks John

I am planning on doing more, but I have been busy with other projects, so once those are taken care of I will try and get a couple more over to Oleg :)

PsychoSilence
11-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks John

I am planning on doing more, but I have been busy with other projects, so once those are taken care of I will try and get a couple more over to Oleg :)

reading those lines is wellness for the hungry soul which suffers for input :) glad there are guys like you around!!!

PexElroy
11-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks for this link -

http://brandonriza.com/3DVisualEffe...sualEffects.htm

Does anyone have any ideas what Brandon (blur) may have used to create these great rigid-body explosions?

After watching them, it looks like they use 3ds max with Thinking Particles 2.5, as TP has a shatter ability, and these look like TP shatter rigid-body particles.

feldy
11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
some nice stuff there. id ask sol since he works at blur.

feldy
11-29-2007, 11:31 PM
some nice stuff there. id ask sol since he works at blur. to me it looks like max for sure

SoLiTuDe
11-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Does anyone have any ideas what Brandon (blur) may have used to create these great rigid-body explosions? I am interested in learning which tools/software he used to generate these fantastic results in the clips that use pre-fractured 3D meshes to explode, move, and fall accurately on impact, and with the incorporation of dynamic particles and Fume FX.

He/We usually prefractures the big chunks just using a plane with a noise modifier (mb fracture works well too, and also Rayfire is going to have a good fracture system). Then use reactor for the rigid bodies using just an animated sphere usually to "explode" the fragments outward, and then we usually use fume for smoke now, and pflow for the smaller debris.

Edit: Brandon doesn't usually use TP at all... nobody here does for the big chunks like that. We have two or three guys that use TP instead of pflow, but not really for the shape collisions or anything... it's really just for the sake of them liking TP better... even on debris I don't think they usually use shape collision unless they have to.

PexElroy
11-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks sol. Ah not TP 2.5, was not sure. Have to find out why my reactor sims are not this accurate. So most of those maybe used reactor fracture group sims.

SoLiTuDe
11-29-2007, 11:50 PM
^^ Nope... reactor rules. :D

PsychoSilence
11-30-2007, 12:31 AM
reactor is like pflow or fume...once you start bitching with it...and THEY ARE A BITCH...the true secret lies in the time bitching with it...(that sounds so profane)

grury
11-30-2007, 08:31 AM
reactor is like pflow or fume...once you start bitching with it...and THEY ARE A BITCH...the true secret lies in the time bitching with it...(that sounds so profane)

Indeed!! :)

PexElroy
11-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah reactor can get tricky; it creates many face interpenetrations at high step settings, can fail on fractures, and is missing modern features - :)

nitrocom
12-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Few days ago, I was talking with an Autodesk engineer (Bob Richards, i guess) in a presentation and he said to me that reactor engine is little bit old for our present day!

For me, yes it's very hard to use and control the physic's dynamics, so how can you handle this guys? I'm wondering is there any good tricks book or tutorials around to know better reactor?

For instance, when I fractured an object and try to make a good collision animation, I'm always stucked with tolerance and some silly movements! That was just an example :)

PsychoSilence
12-01-2007, 09:59 AM
allan has a reactor and reactor fracture tutorial on his first vfx dvd!

loran
12-01-2007, 10:03 AM
After seeing brandon Riza videos, like this one (http://brandonriza.com/3DVisualEffects/HTML/Frontlines--RandD.htm),
I ve done a quick test for blast with Reactor+Particle Flow :)
I de like to see is setup!

max2008 file (http://laurent.renaud.free.fr/divers/cgtalk/block-blast.max)

click on the picture to watch the video:

http://laurent.renaud.free.fr/divers/cgtalk/block-blast.jpg (http://laurent.renaud.free.fr/divers/cgtalk/block-blast.mov)

PsychoSilence
12-01-2007, 02:08 PM
any chance getting a max9 file? or are they compatible?

DRSWOBODA
12-02-2007, 02:10 AM
He/We usually prefractures the big chunks just using a plane with a noise modifier (mb fracture works well too, and also Rayfire is going to have a good fracture system). Then use reactor for the rigid bodies using just an animated sphere usually to "explode" the fragments outward, and then we usually use fume for smoke now, and pflow for the smaller debris.

Edit: Brandon doesn't usually use TP at all... nobody here does for the big chunks like that. We have two or three guys that use TP instead of pflow, but not really for the shape collisions or anything... it's really just for the sake of them liking TP better... even on debris I don't think they usually use shape collision unless they have to.

That's a really good tip, fracturing with a noise plane. I think I need to try that asap. Hopefully I can figure out the work flow for that operation, if not, I'll check back.

Those video's on Brandon's site are stunning and inspiring. Now if I could only get my work to look that good ;)

-David

Digital Masta
12-02-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm a little confused by the idea of fracturing with a noise plane. Could someone explain?

jigu
12-02-2007, 03:19 AM
When i open that brandon riza site in firefox, firefox crashes and shutdown. Does anyone has direct links?

Thank you,
-J.

SoLiTuDe
12-02-2007, 03:44 AM
I'm a little confused by the idea of fracturing with a noise plane. Could someone explain?

Create a plane with a decent amount of segments ... maybe 20x20? then add a noise modifier to it...and maybe a bend if you want. Then use it to "Cut"/fracture other objects using procutter a bunch of times and you start getting a fractured up object. Scripts like mb_fracture (do a search on scriptspot) use a similar idea to generate fractured objects... but it's totally doable by hand when you're looking for a specific shape.

jigu
12-02-2007, 03:53 AM
here is the tutorial of procutter :

http://www.hkatc.net/tutorial_max_06Nov.html

andyburm
12-02-2007, 07:49 AM
I posted the same q at orbaz, but here it is again in more detail:

I created a grass plane with a shape instance and need to populate each grass strand with water droplets which are also instanced, so basically i am trying to create particles on the surface of instanced particles, which should also be aligned to their surface normals.

I don't know much about scripting this in box3 and was wondering what the best approach would be. I thought about creating a snapshot of the grass particles and using that to distribute the water droplets, however the grass needs to weave a little and can't be static.

any ideas?

cheerfulskeptic
12-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Hey guys,

Quick question.While rendering my output is not matching what I can see in my viewport.....For example....I am rendering the thorns of a Blowfish and in my view port I can see the thorns oriented towards the tail along the contours of the body but in my render the thorns orientation completely changes and point in some other direction.....So any guesses?Just wanted to mention I am using the demo version of Box#3 to make the thorns orient towards the tail and Box1 to map the texture mapping of the fish on the thorns.....

Thanks ,
Cheerfulskeptic

OlegB
12-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Just wanted to mention I am using the demo version of Box#3

Demo version of Box#3 does not work during rendering - that is why. It is mentioned in the "Read Me First" during the demo installation.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

DRSWOBODA
12-07-2007, 04:19 AM
Hi,

I have a scene where I used Allan McKay's particle birth script to form a particle system based on a group of existing objects (I used the mbFracture script to break up a complex object).

Then in particle flow I pushed those particle/object instances around a bit.

Now I would like to take the animation of those particles from PFlow and put the transformations back to the original objects that were instanced, so that I can tweak the animation a bit.

I have tried Tools/Snapshot with no luck. I have also looked into the Compound Object/Mesher. Neither of those two options seems to do what I want.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
-David.

PS. I can supply my file if needed (Max2008).

loran
12-07-2007, 09:57 AM
I think this can be done by script because the birth script give the position to particles so another script could check it and send them back to it.
unfortunatly, I am not a scripter

charleyc
12-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi,

I have a scene where I used Allan McKay's particle birth script to form a particle system based on a group of existing objects (I used the mbFracture script to break up a complex object).

Then in particle flow I pushed those particle/object instances around a bit.

Now I would like to take the animation of those particles from PFlow and put the transformations back to the original objects that were instanced, so that I can tweak the animation a bit.

I have tried Tools/Snapshot with no luck. I have also looked into the Compound Object/Mesher. Neither of those two options seems to do what I want.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
-David.

PS. I can supply my file if needed (Max2008).

Edit: Oops, didn't read your post all the way. This will replace a particle system with an object or randomly with multiple objects, but you need to put back to specific objects.
This script will not do that, but it could be made to. If you post your scene, I can modify this script to do that.

Here is a script that does 'something' :P.
www.charleycarlat.com/MaxScripts/RplceParts-w-Objs-Animated.ms (http://www.charleycarlat.com/MaxScripts/RplceParts-w-Objs-Animated.ms)

It replaces a particle system with the selected object(s) (randomly if more than one) and bakes their transform data to the objects.
Right now it runs without an interface based on the active time segment.
To use, set your time segment as desired, select your geometry object(s), run the script and pick your particle system.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

DRSWOBODA
12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi Loren, I know what you mean about scripting. I do a bit in other apps, but have not really tackled MaxScript. I think all the heavy math of particles scares me too much ;)

Hi Charleyc, I have uploaded a Max2008 file for you to look at. It is stripped down to the bare essentials. I have left out the background plate image also. I really appreciate your help on this. I am still back on Max 8 (decided not to up grade past two vers, to see how the Maya/Autodesk thing panned out), so I have done this little project on the 30-day trail of 2008. I am hoping to get it done before it expires, since I can't roll it back to the v8 and I'm not upgrading until the Summer of 2008. This is a personal project and I wanted to see the improvements in v2008, So I started this thing in v2008 to get access to the Pro Cutter.

Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the swift replies so far.

-David

Download File HERE (1.2mb zip, Max2008): http://www.digitalrenaissance.biz/uploads/public/FragmentedBlock.AllanMcKayBirth.b4Reactor_02.zip (http://www.digitalrenaissance.biz/uploads/public/FragmentedBlock.AllanMcKayBirth.b4Reactor_02.zip)

DRSWOBODA
12-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Removed. -DrS

ilusiondigital
12-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi friends:

I´m trying to find the video/tut/script for the creation of rrots-wires for max (page 15 of this thread) but the link os broken... if anybody can post or send me the information it will be great.

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Victor Marin

PsychoSilence
12-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi friends:

I´m trying to find the video/tut/script for the creation of rrots-wires for max (page 15 of this thread) but the link os broken... if anybody can post or send me the information it will be great.

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Victor Marin

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/max/pflow_splines/index.html

http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=311&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=splines

http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351

cheers,
anselm

PsychoSilence
12-14-2007, 08:48 AM
just in case someone is taking part in the Tim Borgmann-inspired abstract contest here at CGSociety have a look at that site: Project0 (http://www.projekt0.net/index2.html)

When you let sound do 3d...

kind regards,
anselm

Glacierise
12-14-2007, 09:15 AM
That's definitely amazing! And I love the stopmotion jery feel it has, how's that done in CG?

pixel9
12-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Whow, great stuff!

Is this done in realtime?? -- Anselmo, have you already given it a shot?