PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Photoshop/Image Ready Advice

Signal2Noise
01-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey PS Gurus,

Need some help here in the world of Photoshop and/or Image Ready. I quickly slapped a logo together for my new (and first)website I'm designing. But I'm new to using PS (formerly used Paint Shop Pro). I'm trying to get a text layer to be crystal clear when read on the main logo. I was up all night toying with it and this is the best result I've been able to achieve thus far. I've got some books and mags to learn the stuff in addition to the manuals but everything basically says to "add text" but doesn't really expand on how to make it look good as well. At least from what I've been able to find so far.

The text should read "www dot" and "dot com" on the upper left and lower right respectively on the logo. I was originally going to cut it through the logo (i.e. boolean) but it wasn't legible so I decided to print it on. Link provided below so you can view and advise. I'm thinking of widening the 'p' & 'd' tails to accommodate a larger font size but only as a last resort.

rapidCG (http://www.rapidcg.com)

TIA.

Stroker
01-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Better font, like Silk Screen. Search for "pixel fonts" should get you there.

Make text a little bigger than horizontal stripe that it's over.
Fill with white and give black 1px stroke on the outside.
Or fill with blue and white stroke.
Try something like that.

chach
01-09-2004, 02:24 PM
you could use pixel fonts also.

surrealgfx
01-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Maybe this is what your looking for i am unsure but let me know if this helps. its pretty simple i can walk you through the steps.

Signal2Noise
01-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Stroker:

Thanks for the tips. I did a search for pixel fonts and came across some sites. Downloaded some small text to try and although it helped a bit it was only a bit and I'm needing something finer. Maybe I do need to widen the tails a tad to fit in a higher font size (like 8). Not sure about "silkscreen". Is it a font or a Photoshop tool? Never saw it on any site google took me to

chach:

See comment above.

surrealgfx:

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish with that graphic. I don't have an issue with the main logo itself (the 'rapidCG' text). It's the tiny text in the upper left and lower right of the logo I want to enhance. It reads "www dot" & "dot com".

Thanks again and keep advise coming if there's more to be gleaned. I'll be working on it until I get it right.:bounce:

halo
01-09-2004, 07:59 PM
signal - erm, not wanting to brag but im sitting here on a 1920x1200 res on a 16 laptop....my point? NO font will be readable at that size on my setup. So, perhaps it needs to be bigger...i realise that i may be in the minority, but i think your on the wrong side of clarity size anyway...:)

Stroker
01-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Silkscreen ahoy.
http://www.kottke.org/plus/type/silkscreen/

Signal2Noise
01-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Halo: I figured as much. I probably will resort to a larger font size via increasing the main logo graphic a bit. Admittedly, I do the majority of my design work on a laptop @ 1600 x1200 res (not to brag or anything ;) ). Hmmm...1920x1200 would be sweet! Do you need to squint alot?

Stroker: Thanks for the link!:thumbsup: I never did come across this site when doing the searches. I will give it a go tonight before making the crucial decision of redesigning the main logo.

Cheers all!

halo
01-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Do you need to squint alot?

nah, i use bino's ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.