PDA

View Full Version : edgeloop

AroundTheFur
06-21-2002, 08:44 PM
ok so im new to character modeling, and im tryin to get the jist of the edgeloop deal. i whipped this model out in an hour just to see if i could pull it off, this is the third in a series, just wonderin if someone could tell me what im doin right, and of course what im doin wrong. thanks in advance :buttrock:

AroundTheFur
06-21-2002, 09:22 PM
ps, before you start knockin on the model for not being proportional, i know this, its not a human head, just tryin to get the edgeloop concept. hehe

LFShade
06-21-2002, 09:53 PM
What are we seeing here? Is it the smoothed or unsmoothed version? If it's the smoothed version, we'll need you to post the unsmoothed version in order to properly help you.

If this is in fact the unsmoothed version, then for starters I'd say you need to work with much less detail! While it's not unusual to see unsmoothed finished work with this density of polygons, those models also usually have a considerable amount more detail than yours.

As to the edgeloop layout, you've got something good going on around the eyes...but the rest is questionable. The mouth could use more concentric loops, and there is too much of a grid-like layout on the cheeks. It would be good to see more edges that follow the natural contours of the face. Take a look at the following post from the WIP forum for an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=8965

I think it's good that you're trying to work these concepts out in a series of quick modelling exercises. For the next time, I would suggest that you gather up some reference on the proportions of the head you'd like to model, and then begin by quickly blocking in the volume of the head at a very low detail. Then begin subdividing, adding edges to define the major features. Don't spend too much time or geometry on any one area; the idea is to develop the whole model to the same level of detail before progressing to the next level. It is also important at the early stages that you not concern yourself with how many sides your polys have, or whether your loops are closed or complete -- just as long as you get them in the right places. Once your volumes look good and you have a nice overall edge layout, then it becomes a fairly simple task to go through and "clean up" those tri's and 5-sided faces.

Good luck!

Oh, and visit here (http://maxrovat.sns.hu/subdiv/) for some excellent tips on subdivision modelling in general!

AroundTheFur
06-21-2002, 11:05 PM
thanks lfshade. yea thats how i did, and i was actually looking at a couple pages while modeling. i started with a box, got the general shape, and then just added edges according to how i thought the loop would end up(sorta vague i guess). yea i wouldnt dare use that much detail, that is in fact the 1it smoothed version. im gonna try to model my own head tomorrow, i work A LOT better from reference, so ill post it up low and high res so u can tell me what u think. thanks again. :buttrock:

AroundTheFur
06-22-2002, 10:38 PM
well heres an attempt again at edgeloops, the image bears a slight resemblence, not really tho. is this any better? i think i got a good handle on eyes and nose, mouth is still a mother 'f'er

AroundTheFur
06-22-2002, 10:39 PM
and this is the render, ilch but whatever.

JuRrAsStOiL
06-23-2002, 07:51 PM
red lines are edge-loops :)

think martin Krol did this one:

MaskTX
06-23-2002, 07:59 PM
JuRrAsStOiL
Cool Tutorial!
:wavey:

AroundTheFur
06-24-2002, 02:03 PM
Whew thanks, the picture i've been using is clearly wrong. ill attempt another head today using that. :buttrock:

AroundTheFur
06-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Ok heres the start of the loops, i think its working pretty well, what do you think-didnt do much tweaking just tryin to get the loops, ill have to fix all those tris and fives.

AroundTheFur
06-24-2002, 05:03 PM
its comin along, mroe detail still to go, and the ear needs much work(my first ear!) whatya think

AroundTheFur
06-24-2002, 07:41 PM
im posting a near finished version in the wip section, only because more ppl will see it and its near finished because i know theres stuff wrong with it, but i want to get others opinions. thanks

Iain McFadzen
06-24-2002, 09:33 PM
Don't get to hung up on the term "egdeloop". Edgeloop is not a technique or a system or a procedure, it's just a term used to describe any line of edges connected by, and running through, consecutive 4-sided vertices. The reason the term is used so often regarding organic modeling is that a well layed-out mesh usually has easily discernable loops running around it. 4-sided verts ensure that the mesh flows properly, which serves a dual purpose: a) to define the form of the object, and b) to allow predictable deformations when animated or posed (and I suppose C) it's more aesthetically pleasing :) )

You'll get all the theory from the URLs already posted in this thread, the only thing you can do now is practice until you "get" it.

AroundTheFur
06-25-2002, 02:33 AM
Yea I know this, i use meshtools so im familiar with the term. what i mean by edgeloops is in fact the use of it in organic modeling. before i thought you would just alter a box to make it look like something and smooth it, and i would always wonder why it never came out good, reason being i didnt plan out a strategy for doing it. now i do. did u take a look at the model? i dont have the pic on this comp but ill post it here tomorrow, for now its in the wip section. let me know what u think, im gonna alter it to look like me and texture hopefully, thanks for the input.
:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.