PDA

View Full Version : Old Man, Antropus (3D)

Antropus
01-08-2004, 02:40 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/22416/OldMan_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/22416/OldMan.jpg)

Another one. Same visual proposal of my another work: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113612

The only difference is that I preferred to mix more the styles, putting more details in his face and maintaining the clothes more stylized.

Softwares used:
ZBrush and Photoshop.

Original Size:
2862x3685 pixels

Time for conclusion: about two weeks in spare time

References:
nothing for his face and Rembrandt for the clothes.

I hope you enjoy. CC to improve the works are always welcome.

vlad74
01-08-2004, 02:47 AM
You again!!!.Another stunning piece.This one is better than the previous one.What can I say.Front page and 5 stars.

vlad74
01-08-2004, 02:50 AM
It's me again man. I can't stop looking at it. Amazing. I love it.

dpvtank
01-08-2004, 02:50 AM
holy crap
that's awesome. wireframes? poly count?

abonora
01-08-2004, 02:53 AM
Great Job Antropus!!

I like this one better too!!
You even gave him some hair on the nose :buttrock:

Things to improve: Hard to say, It looks great, probably a little more detail on the hat and clothes, but it's no big deal, looks awesome the way it is right now.

Antropus
01-08-2004, 03:22 AM
vlad74,
thanks again my friend!

dpvtank,
Thank you man! Wireframe and polycount: lots :)
But as you can see, this work has lot of painting in photoshop too.

abonora,
thanks! I'll post some closes soon. So you will see more hair on his nose, ears, eyes etc ;)

cya

Antropus
01-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Here the ZBrush model (before painting):
http://www.antropus.com/forum/oldman001.jpg

Here some in depth details:
http://www.antropus.com/forum/oldman003.jpg

http://www.antropus.com/forum/oldman004.jpg

Antropus
01-08-2004, 04:33 AM
... and some more details:

http://www.antropus.com/forum/oldman005.jpg

http://www.antropus.com/forum/oldman006.jpg

Comments are welcome.

Virtuoso
01-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Fantastic Antropus...........:thumbsup:

Z-brush and Photoshop could not be showcased any better...............A little something new for you other than Maya I see......... I have always been curious about Z-brush......How does it work transferring files wise to Max and maya......?

Well again this piece is "Beautiful"...........Your ol' woman has a nice mate now.................

:beer:

Arimus
01-08-2004, 06:12 AM
This is awsome work. Very nice attention to detail. If I didn't know any better I would have thought this was a scan of a painting. :buttrock: :buttrock:

shanesemler
01-08-2004, 06:20 AM
I like that the crackle effect is more subtle on this one.

deepforest
01-08-2004, 06:54 AM
Awesome image!:eek:

Sas.hun
01-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Wooow! :drool:

This is Fantastic Work! :thumbsup:

mattmos
01-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Absolutely superb! The detail is stunning...

The difference between the level of detail of the face and the clothing seems to stick out slightly though. I'd love to see a version with some parts of the face in shadow/more vague, stronger contrast between light/shadow would give it even more of a rembrandt quality.

Definitely front page stuff :beer:

Oktavian
01-08-2004, 09:45 AM
Incredible :thumbsup: .

fellah
01-08-2004, 09:51 AM
excellent Antropus, I've really started to fall in love with your work lately.. love the translation between 2d and 3d.

Atwooki
01-08-2004, 10:06 AM
Hi there, Antropus!

Another winner :)

Scanning around the very detailed close-ups, I particularly appreciate your observation of the 'creases' peculiar to moles (on his lower right lip)!

Overall, this is obviously a killer technique(2D/3D) :)
You say that no ref was used for his face; does this mean that you just jumped into 'Z' and started modelling first? or was the model imported lo-rez from Maya and fine-tuned in 'Z'? and how do you get such great control in PS on his (smoothly-curled) hair?

Needless to say, you've quickly mastered this technique, and if 'Expose 2' doesn't snap up these images (princess also) I'd be shocked!

Great stuff, Kris!

Atwooki

Kel Solaar
01-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Amazing work :) A lot of details :)

Enayla
01-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Instant love!

Truly beautiful work. What strikes me the most is that the eyes look very alive.

unwrap
01-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Great work! Amazing details! :thumbsup:

3D-ima Green
01-08-2004, 04:18 PM
thats amazing! exelent work antorpus ( dunno what to say )

as bruce allmighty says -- B . e . a .utiful

Antropus
01-08-2004, 05:34 PM
WOW!

Virtuoso,
thanks, as always man!
You can export the final mesh from ZBrush in .obj format for your preferred software and import in .obj too.
Yeah, young princess is my second work in ZBrush and this old man is my third.
I'm very very well impressed with ZBrush!

Arimus, shanesemler, deepforest, Sas.hun, Oktavian, Kel Solaar, sergage and 3D-ima Green,
THANKS A LOT, FRIENDS!!!

fellah,
I love your work too, buddy!!!

mattmos,
yeah, you are right. But I wish to mix some styles here. Rembrandt or Caravaggio would just use a single light source (stronger contrast). About the clothes, Rembrandt used a more pictorial technique and Van Eyck put lots of details... so, I just mix some styles I like :)

Atwooki,
Yeah, my friend. This model was made ENTIRELY in ZBrush, from 7 Zspheres to define the principal loops (like in the image posted in "Young Princess" post). For hairs, I'm using my old Wacom ArtZ II 12x12. Only 256 pressure degrees, but works fine yet.

Enayla,
Because of your art I restarted to paint!!!!! I'm a GREAT fan of your AWESOME works. Not only your works are beautiful... you are a very beautiful woman too (sorry :blush: )

Thanks a lot guys and girls and all CGTalkers. You are great!!!!
:applause:

Atwooki
01-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah, Antropus!

and Van Eyck put lots of details...

Just think how damn long all those seperate transparent layers of oil took to dry, with siccatives or not; and all we have to do is save now and again ;)

Atwooki

ido
01-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Antropus you are one F***ing amazing artist :)
is this one also going on the old ladys wall? :bowdown:

childplay
01-08-2004, 05:56 PM
so much work.. details are great.. the hole image is complete and superb... you do not need any c & c for improvement

just great

all the best
Nikola Drincic

Antropus
01-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Atwooki,

"and all we have to do is save now and again "... hehehe. I agree :)

ido,
Thanks! Surely! I think this work and the young princess will be nice on old lady's house walls ;)

childplay,
many thanks man!

leigh
01-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Fabulous work once again! I love your style so much, it works so well. I am really impressed with the details in this one, great stuff! :)

Plugged!

lulaassassina
01-08-2004, 09:01 PM
impressive. nothing more to comment. vais longe, tu...

LucentDreams
01-08-2004, 09:05 PM
man thatsjust insane two pieces that have just blown me away, your cracking paint effect is very effective.

Keddy
01-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Fantastic work :thumbsup:

dingo
01-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Hey great work!!! Don't forget to submit that to EXPOSE 2, I'm sure they will accept such great work!!!

On another note, can you show the mesh? ZBrush seems really good for organic modelling.

js-rolhion
01-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I already told you about this piece of art, but i can't stop looking at it ! :) A fabulous work ! Keep going such great stuff ! :beer: :thumbsup:

Papashango
01-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Great, as said before by all the people... just stunning!

But I think I know who was your Reference Material:

Mr. BILL MURRAY!!!

you should send him a print of this, I'm sure he'll look exactly like your guy in some years!

Greetz,
Flo

Mahlikus
01-08-2004, 09:32 PM
First, from one ZB user to another...:bowdown: :bowdown:..I'm all choked up.

That is just too amazing! What a wonder mix of 3D, and 2D.

Second, if you don't put this in expose2, so help me ofer, I am going to hunt you down and give you the most vicious beating of your life..lol :p
OKay, no I won't..but..are you?

BTW, what texture size did you use?
...I can't stop staring at it...

Bravo! :beer:

...um...Bill Murry?! ...

PS..."..polycout:lots..."....mmm
*sniff sniff...me smells strange Zsmell*

Papashango
01-08-2004, 10:02 PM
To me, your character looks really like the Bill Murray of the future (don't want to offend anybody :-)

look and compare for yourself:
http://www.papashango.at/bill_future.jpg

cheers,
flo

PascalR
01-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Really great job.
Well done

Pascal

ninox
01-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Simply amazing:buttrock:

AJ
01-08-2004, 10:14 PM
More superb work?

You are an extremely talented man - I am furiously envious, and furiously in awe.

:D

tubby
01-08-2004, 10:14 PM
congradulations on a beautiful piece Antropus! Your skills are flying through the roof man, this piece is my favorite of your work. The details in the facial structure and its muscles are so tasty to look at. :)

swag
01-08-2004, 10:28 PM
damn u start your zbrush art production - once again crazy detail - have u try out this normal maps stuff?

peXel
01-08-2004, 10:30 PM
incredible!

Thorlyn
01-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Fantastic, Makes me get the zbrush itch, even though Im in doubt that I could ever produce such a masterpiece.

Well done!

Antropus
01-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Leigh my godness,
many thanks again, for the plug and for your kind words!!!

lula_assassina,
obrigado irmão.

Kaiskai, Keddy,

dingo,
yeah! Will submit for Exposé 2. I hope both are selected.
Some wires and model inside maya. Poly count here: 104.448 faces (to guarantee the polygons visualization):

http://www.antropus.com/forum/oldshade001.jpg

http://www.antropus.com/forum/oldshade002.jpg

http://www.antropus.com/forum/oldwire001.jpg

js-rolhion,
many thanks bro! I can't wait to see your new works here!

Papashango,
hehehehe...maybe a coincidence because I don't have used any references for modeling.

Mahlikus,
thanks man! Your work with ZBrush is great! Resolution map: 2048x2048 inside ZBrush.

zegritch, ninox, AJ_23, tubby, swag and PeXel,
many thanks for your kind words guys!!!!

cya

Turbonium
01-08-2004, 11:12 PM
This stuff is really cool. Wish I could find the time to learn it.

JulianJohnson
01-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Hi there Antropus well done on your zbrush head, that's GREAT WORK! and a cool painting as well. it's always a pleasure seeing your work.:thumbsup:

Dearmad
01-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Praise and props- you got 3 pages of that, so you don't need me to try to top the previous people.

Crits: The linework, particularly around his forehead gets his wrinkles confused with his hair and the general lines on the "painting" texture. It detracts from the image's verisimilitude for me.

The lighting in his eyes doesn't match the lighting I see on his skin (this is most obvious in the eye on our right- his left; a spec. highlight in a place of relatively deep shadow, not impossible but of a value equal to the other spec. highlight?). In paintings this is no big deal except IMHO when it comes right off the bat as fake- vermeer was famous for pulling this stuff off and fools me all the time; you're image, for whatever reason, didn't fool me- maybe disperse the lighting in his eyes more- or complement the pinpoint specularity you have with some other diffused lightness.

Anyway very good subtle use of pulling in focus to his eyes via your "brushwork"- pro job there, IMO- you've a lot more skill than I could ever hope to have.

l3d_davi
01-09-2004, 12:02 AM
po antro esse negocio ainda vai te mata :applause:
awesome work :applause: :bowdown:

Mahlikus
01-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Antropus, your too kind...I have yet to reach a quality such as yours. Thank you for making my year. 2048 TMap is awesome...would have assumed 4096.
Spherical, UV, AUV, or custom..If I may ask?

Cheers
:beer:

BeCOOL_MiN
01-09-2004, 01:15 AM
AWESOME!!

hope both your work gonna be in expose2~

Antropus
01-09-2004, 02:15 AM
Thorlyn, Turbonium, l3d_davi and BeCOOL_MiN,
many many thanks friends!

Julian_J,
hey buddy! How are you? And your great site? Please, put it online!!!!! Thanks a lot :)

Dearmad,
great comments here! Thanks a lot man.

Mahlikus,
AUV, if I'm right :)
And yes, your work is great.

Here a gift for you guys and girls:

http://www.antropus.com/download/antrobrushes.zip

This is my photoshop custom brushes library. You can find here the brushes I've created for this work and for textures painting for my short film WIP (Senzaazione).

I hope you enjoy ;)

f3rry
01-09-2004, 02:28 AM
Antropus,

I'm speechless... Your works are amazing...

question:
How did you maintain the edgeloop? Did you do a template in Maya then paint it in Zbrush or you can do them all in ZBrush?

Sorry if this one is too stupid... Did you do mirroring in Maya or ZBrush?

Thanks

l3d_davi
01-09-2004, 02:29 AM
wow ! po antro que quebra galho tu ein!!! vlew vo estuda isso com certeza vo fuça em cada brush hehehe kra :thumbsup: sem palavras
wow awesome man now iam study everything in this brush hehe no words :thumbsup: thnx :bowdown: :bowdown:

ibeliveicanfly
01-09-2004, 02:52 AM
woooooooooow!!!!
:thumbsup: :buttrock: :thumbsup:

LucentDreams
01-09-2004, 02:58 AM
Thanks for much for sharing your brushes along with yoiur brilliant work. I'm curious as well about how you managed to maintain such a clean mesh in zbrush at such a high level of detail

Mentat7
01-09-2004, 03:22 AM
Great work Antropus. Just absolutely beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing and keeping me going when I want to just give it all up. Oh and I am off to check out those custom brushes. Thank you! :bowdown:

oxyg3n
01-09-2004, 03:56 AM
Wow so many details. I thought this was a ps painting. Thanks for sharing your brushes.

MemoNono
01-09-2004, 04:28 AM
really you are a genius painter!!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

C.Lin.
01-09-2004, 04:42 AM
Great details...:eek:
I'm lovin' it.

shyy
01-09-2004, 04:57 AM
WOW nice texturing and modeling

Coldblooded
01-09-2004, 07:27 AM
FANTASTIC!!!:eek:

olijosman
01-09-2004, 08:55 AM
Impressive!!A classic painting in 3d.:applause:

Noisefields
01-09-2004, 09:03 AM
It's perfect. Simply.

Frank Dodd
01-09-2004, 12:25 PM
The level of detail here is quite remarkable, from the moisture in the eye, the hairs up the nose down to the cracked surface of the painting. I'm not even going to waste my breath telling you that it's brilliant because you know that already.

:bowdown:

Crewler
01-09-2004, 12:35 PM
wow well done! :thumbsup:

Tripdragon
01-09-2004, 01:06 PM
From the Zbrush users waiting for the new version.

What version of Zbrush did you use ? Was it the unreleased beta version ?? Or was it the current 1.5.5b version.

If it was beta did you use displacement mapping ? Normal mapping ? any of the new features ?

And what texture Unwrap method for painting did you use ? AUV ? CY, or just hand unwrapped it yourself.

These things would just be nice to know.

Very good work anyway.
^v^

Jako
01-09-2004, 01:55 PM
wow! That's awesome!
Also your other works are just great! :applause:

DANKA
01-09-2004, 02:49 PM
Porca miseria!!!
WOW :drool:

Blackhorse
01-09-2004, 02:57 PM
:thumbsup:
nice guy. holy cool.

very detail. i like the style! keep going on your works.

:thumbsup:

Mahlikus
01-09-2004, 03:04 PM
I can help a little youngcat...If I may.
I asked the same question about the texture wrapping. It is a 2048x2048 AUV.
As for the version he used, looks like he used both..lol. Keep this in mind though. If he did use the beta..he might not be allowed to say. As for the Displacement mapping. There seems to be a big, unsaid change. A while back, in Pixolator's first Dino creauture post, he states about using a low poly object and a DMap (grayscale) wrapped on it for the detail modeling. Now, his recent RRrat post states nothing of a DMAp. Just straight modeling of a few MILLION polys. So it seems we have gone from a normal displacement to actual poly modeling of fine detail. Though, I have no doubt that he still keep the ability for ZBrush to generate a displacement mapto be wrapped on a lower poly object. Just because I don't think, given past experiences, that pixologic is prone to backstepping.

Hope this helps some.

Antropus, thanks for those brushes man! They are awesome!:thumbsup: :beer: :buttrock:

Tripdragon
01-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Mahlikus
I can help a little youngcat...If I may.
I asked the same question about the texture wrapping. It is a 2048x2048 AUV.
As for the version he used, looks like he used both..lol. Keep this in mind though. If he did use the beta..he might not be allowed to say. As for the Displacement mapping. There seems to be a big, unsaid change. A while back, in Pixolator's first Dino creauture post, he states about using a low poly object and a DMap (grayscale) wrapped on it for the detail modeling. Now, his recent RRrat post states nothing of a DMAp. Just straight modeling of a few MILLION polys. So it seems we have gone from a normal displacement to actual poly modeling of fine detail. Though, I have no doubt that he still keep the ability for ZBrush to generate a displacement mapto be wrapped on a lower poly object. Just because I don't think, given past experiences, that pixologic is prone to backstepping.

Hope this helps some.

Antropus, thanks for those brushes man! They are awesome!:thumbsup: :beer: :buttrock:

I Belive it will have both at the same time. It would make no since to not have both.

And the beta users can say that they are using the beta so if they want I guess as Sourthern always states that he does infact use it.

I all so saw a leek photo so it has levels of subdivision, and I know how the wrinkles are formed now. So that is of some nice help for me to beleave that this program is in fact real and may be released in the future . But I bet it will not be untill the summer.

renderwoman
01-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Hey antropus,
did u know that u r fantastic?
((what a +++++ question,of course he knows!))1
u'v done a fantastic job.congraduations,
but y did u put a flat bump texture on whole of the image?

Mahlikus
01-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Well of course it real. As for the release, I haven't a clue save it should be soon. They have been working on the next version for a while. I just hope it isnt until summer. Besides, we at ZBC were told to keep our eyes peeled so that gives me a good feeling too. Maybe this month. Who knows save Pixologic and the beta testers. Anyway, sorry for getting off topic and kickin around in your thread antropus.

...Did I say great job?...:D

Ac0rN
01-09-2004, 04:18 PM
WoW antropus , you just poppin' out masterpeaces :applause: :thumbsup: :beer:

peekoot
01-09-2004, 04:19 PM
antropus... i usually have something to crit.. but this time NOO! :]

your work was always inspirational... :thumbsup:

and thanks for brushes... very kind of you...

this ammount of attention to detail i haven't seen for a long time... last time i saw it on escher's self portrait... and i thought that one can not be more crazy than this guy... guess i was wrong... :rolleyes:

The Don
01-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Antropus you really are a genius. This piece of work is an absolute all-time masterpiece. It's a fantastic example of what is possible using CG. A great advertisement for the CG industry in my opinion! :eek: :eek: :)

kiko3d
01-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Hey I just bpught a wacom and I would like to achieve a levl of quality as you do. Is it really difficult, or you think that I could learn in a life drawing class?

3D-ima Green
01-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Hey Antro. Could u please show us unsmoothed wire version of your new character, i just like this charaters detailing.. so if its possible then please :)

Will you put this character into your animation "Senz Azione"?

He would look great in it, at least in the pic on the wall :D

Drakaran
01-10-2004, 07:06 AM
the modeling, texturing, lighting, and post for this are just amazing! I can't give this piece enough praise for the skill and love it took to make it.

I'm flabbergasted!

JesseDavis
01-10-2004, 09:01 AM
I don't have to read all the comments on here, I know everyone thinks its great. I concur with everyone's comments. =)

khaleghi
01-10-2004, 01:06 PM
wow,very very nice modeling.:applause:

gimmix
01-10-2004, 09:00 PM
just amazing !
:eek: :eek: :bowdown:

Abyssis
01-11-2004, 09:49 AM
Great artists are great people too, Antropus :applause:
Thank you for sharing such really great work, thank you for brushes....

Yes, you are great :applause:

crn
01-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Wooooooow!

Very Nice Work! :thumbsup:

squeezestudio
01-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Great job Antro ! really nice work ....many details ... i love it !

Plays_4_Pants
01-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Absolutely love it. Reminds me of Rembrandt if he were to just light the candles before he paints:bounce:

Antropus
01-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Sorry for delay with reply folks and thanks for your kind words again :)

f3rry,
Yes, it's possible. I made the entire model in ZBrush, starting from only seven ZSpheres (1 for head, 1 for nose, 1 for mouth, two for eyes, two for ears). I've sculpted with mirror "on" inside ZBrush.

l3d_davi,
sem problema brother!

ibeliveicanfly,
many thanks!!!

Kaiskai,
a good planning using ZSpheres before start the model can help you a lot!

Mentat7,
Thanks a lot man! Nice to see so many ZBrush lovers here!!!!

oxyg3n,
no problem, buddy.

MemoNono,
not yet...maybe one day. Thanks!

C.Lin., shyy, Coldblooded, olijosman, Noisefields,
thank you very, very much!

Frank Dodd,
so kind words... thank you!

Crewler,
thanks.

Youngcat,
man, I think Mahlikus answered your questions :rolleyes:

Jako, DANKA and Blackhorse,
thank you buddies!

Mahlikus,
who should thank is me for nice explanation. Thank you man!

renderwoman,
many thanks. Well, I can't post the bump map because all the bumps are painted over the image. Only a basic color map was used for this model.

Ac0rN,
thanks man!

peekoot,
wow! Escher is one of my biggest idols!!!!! Thanks a lot.

The Don,
your words touch my heart... thank you very very much bro.

kiko3d,
surely you will learn a lot in a life drawing class! After, you can put your hands in your new Wacom (wacom rocks!!!).

3D-ima Green,
as you can see in the previous images, the wireframe is a bit heavy. I think unsmoothed = smoothed version, hehehehe
Surely I will! In some of the Old Lady's house wall.

Drakaran, m0og0o, Fredy, gimmix, Abyssis, crn, squeeze and Plays_4_Pants,
thanks a lot, friends!

Really a great honor for me to see so many GREAT artists posting here.
THANKS A LOT FOR YOU ALL! :wavey:

TuroAzja
01-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Good Job !!!
Nice texture and model ... Respect ! painting style :)

mikepolizos
01-12-2004, 03:01 PM
No comments from me well done!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Katea
06-02-2005, 10:40 PM
What you do is just amazing! I love your textures - they're so real! :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2005, 10:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.