PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 4: The Room

eliseu gouveia
01-08-2004, 01:04 AM
All right, WHO (http://www.ps2on.com/cgi-bin/display_noticies.pl?compta=4946&unic=s&detall=s&id_joc=10) among you has seen the screenshots of Konami´s upcoming Silent Hill 4: The Room tittle and how many of you are wondering whether PS2 will be able to tackle this apparently overwhelming piece of code?

Does it look gorgeous?
Definitelly!:bowdown:

But those who played the previous title will probably recollect a certain passage (Motel ->Hospital) where the engine would twitch and twirl for a second, under the weight of a polygon-heavy outside setting crammed with baddies.

Now elevate that to the nth potency which is clearly how I read these (astonishing) graphics.
They look nice, they look neat, but DAMN!, they look HEAVY!
Too heavy for Sony´s machine?
I dunno, but I´m affraid.
Very affraid.
And it´s not of the desert foggy streets where miss Alessa Gillespie once built her lethal wall of deceipt.:surprised

SheepFactory
01-08-2004, 01:39 AM
we can always play the xbox version

eliseu gouveia
01-08-2004, 03:31 AM
What?
Sacrilege!!!

SheepFactory
01-08-2004, 07:11 AM
heh , i only use the ps2 for dvd playback these days anyway. :)

Jimmypop
01-08-2004, 10:29 AM
:eek: It'll be for the PS3.

Jimmypop

Icarus
01-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Bah @ Consoles, Waste of money, your only purchasing a cheap computer.

Get a real machine :P

erilaz
01-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Or... buy them all and be really happy.:D

samartin
01-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Tyrinid
Bah @ Consoles, Waste of money, your only purchasing a cheap computer.

Get a real machine :P

Sorry have to disagree with that statement, I use my real machine for work purposes and consoles for games. Games just feel so much better on the console with exception of FPS type games...

I've yet to complete SH3, still stuck in the underground/tube/subway section :'(, can't seem to fathom out what to do and get's a tad boring now but SH4 should be pretty tops...

fxgogo
01-08-2004, 11:20 AM
I love console and PC games. Each brings something to the table. Have you guys tried the Eye Toy on the PS2, best party game there is. sheep factory, it will make it more than just a dvd player for you.

mattregnier
01-08-2004, 03:03 PM
ok let's get this SILENT HILL 4 thread back on track :D

if anyone has info/opinions regarding sh4 then post, if not then don't waste space in this thread...

PhilOsirus
01-08-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't see how those graphics look much different than SH3. SH3 looked great, but this seems more or less the same graphic-wise. Anyway I'm hoping for some change to the gameplay, it's getting old, as much as I liked the serie.

heavyness
01-08-2004, 04:11 PM
[if you don't have anything to add to the topic, don't post. this isn't a ps2/consoles bashing thread...]

even though the ps2 is the oldest, good programmers can still muscle out some good graphics and effects. look at the new MGS. but you have to remember with game like MGS, Silent Hill, and other cinematic games, the makers can control how many polys are going to be on the screen at one time. in many titles like these, your in a closed environment, as apposed to GTA's open ended environment.

Silent Hill looks great. if anyone can pull it off, Konami can.

eliseu gouveia
01-08-2004, 11:14 PM
More:

Facts
- The last of the series to be developped for PS2
- the game takes place in a different part of Silent Hill
- Thirtysomething Henry Townsend who´s been living in nearby town of Ashfield is the protagonist (I´m gonna miss Heather)
- release date, late 2004 (Damn, these guys work fast! Remember when we used to wait 3-4 years to play a game?
Oh, wait! We still do!):surprised

Rumours
- the game engine was developped both by the SH and MGS teams (or borrowed from the MGS team?) and will be the same as MGS3

Spankspeople
01-08-2004, 11:42 PM
*drools* Me wanty... me sooooo wanty...

Riddick
01-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Really weird and gore, much than the last:surprised

Levitateme
01-09-2004, 09:40 AM
I didn't think the game looks to polygon heavy. im going to look for more pics of the game tonight. if i find anything high res or...clean ill post here. im really excited for this. i waited like 4 months for sh3 to come to pc. i have ps2, but i know sh3 is giong to look better on my pc, so i held out. but the guy in the t shirt, and that one creature they do look high res. it reminds me of resident evil GC.

Neil
01-09-2004, 12:38 PM
edit: BTW, thanks for the link. First i've heard of official proof!

yes, ps2 is not as strong as some hoped. Hell, it's the weakest of the 3. But it's all about optimizing.
Great looking games can be put out on this system (as mentioned). It boils down to wether the dev company puts the time and effort into it.
BIg titles, that are proven to make $$, are given the longer dev schedules. With that time, they can tweak and do more engine work to push more polys and shit. You don't see that done from people like LucasArts or EA, they're too busy cranking out titles so that they can make easy bucks.

heavyness
01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
now everyone knows...

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/silenthill4theroom/news_6086258.html

sonicstrawbery
01-09-2004, 08:20 PM
wow i even din't play the 3 yet whereas we talk already about the 4.
The 3 has been released 2 months ago.
Such a productive studio Konami is ! The screenshot seems to reveal again the quality of their work.

I ca't wait :love:

Neil
01-09-2004, 09:58 PM
because Konami ownz j00

Neil
01-09-2004, 09:59 PM
god.... 256x256 texture maps. and they can make this? insane.

Can't wait till ps3 :drool:

BoydLake
01-10-2004, 04:20 AM
yeah, polys aren't the issue with the PS2.... it's the texture memory that sucks on the PS2. AS far as polys it compares pretty well to the xbox... or so my programmer friends tell me.

SheepFactory
01-10-2004, 04:32 AM
I hope this wont be beat em up style like 3 was. i am more into the fog + flashlight + less monsters more creepy places style of the first one. 3th threw 5 monsters at you in every damn room.

Layer01
01-11-2004, 07:33 AM
mm it would be cool if it were for the PS3, i would like that, i would rather wait and get better GFX than have it sooner and have them cut back.

Neil
01-13-2004, 06:11 PM
BTW, i read that they are implementing First-person mode now (i think you switch between the 2), so now all you FPS phreeks can't complain :)

And it's supposed to the have the most weapons of all 4. The characters look awesome, not your typical Japanese haired characters.

percydaman
01-13-2004, 09:10 PM
I hope this wont be beat em up style like 3 was. i am more into the fog + flashlight + less monsters more creepy places style of the first one. 3th threw 5 monsters at you in every damn room.

Ugh please dont tell me that. Ive just started playing the game.

/me gets nervous just thinking about it :argh:

Neil
01-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by percydaman
Ugh please dont tell me that. Ive just started playing the game.

/me gets nervous just thinking about it :argh:

Well that was also coming from a kid who only got half way through it and stopped.

eliseu gouveia
01-13-2004, 11:20 PM
I think it´s a good move, the First Person View when in small places like a flat or a room; it gives you a more intimate experience (of actually being there) and enhanced ability to explore every detail.
In previous instalments, I´d often go:
"- Hey, I wanna see what´s written in that poster! Get outta the way, Harry/James/Heather!";)

As for Silent Hill3, I agree that they upped the bloodshed quite a bit, but nothing so dramatic that most weren´t able to handle.

My conscience forces me to add this note, though: Konami folk did such an AMAZING (double exclamation point!) work in the sound effects that playing this instalment with the sound turned off (like so many people I know did) doesn´t only ruin 40% of the experience, but should also be considered a crime in most countries.

heavyness
01-13-2004, 11:40 PM
so since Silent Hill 4 and MGS3 share the same engine, i'm guessing Silent Hill 4 will play more like MGS [with the announcement of the first person view]. i think its a great move. one thing i did like about Silent Hill over Resident Evil was the fact the cameras moved and it wasn't all static backgrounds [although Resident Evil is still a good game].

looking forward to getting scared sh!tless, again...

eliseu gouveia
01-14-2004, 04:53 AM
Well, it is rumored that they share the same game engine.

No official confirmation from Konami yet.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.