PDA

View Full Version : Meltdown?? Beep code advice...

blendertrout
01-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Well, I have a box that is acting totaly dead... No VGA signal and no BIOS booting.

I have Phoenix BIOS and the board is an Abit NF7-M.
(onboard G-force4, onboard sound, 2 sticks 512 PC 3200)

All I get is the BIOS beep code which is 1 long beep a verry short pause 3 quick beeps a 2 second pause and then a unending series of high toned beeps in rapid sucession. I ( can't find any info on this last high-toned series of beeps...) Maybe doesn't mater if I just interperate the first set.. (teh 1 long and 3 short it seems I just have to take this board to the curb anyway) But I'm hoping it is VGA error of some kind and fixable. Any help out there? I really don't want to have to replace this Motherboard this computer is my life and and as an art student I have no money to replace it. :hmm:

schmu_20mol
01-07-2004, 09:23 PM
normally you can find those beep-codes pretty much at the end of your manual of the mobo (you didn't throw it away - did you?) ...as far as i'm concerned there's no standard for those beep-codes so it's up to the manual to show the magic

blendertrout
01-07-2004, 09:32 PM
hmmm, No beep code stuff in the Manual... but suposedly the individual manufacturers maintain individual standards... Don't they?

GregHess
01-07-2004, 10:10 PM
3) Check all the cables in the system. Check them again. Check them a third time. Inspect for nicks/cuts/scrapes of electrical cords, especially IDE/SCSI/SATA cords. A .1 mm nick can render drive errors. Make sure all cables are SEATED properly.

4) Check that all cards are seated properly.

5) Check the ram seating. Are you using dimm's 0/1 first? Or did you put the ram in reverse order?

6) Make sure the processor heatsinks are firmly attached, and that there are no air gaps between the sink and the core of the cpu. Make sure that thermal paste/grease/tape was used between the two mediums. (I recommend artic silver V)

http://www.arcticsilver.com/

7) Clean out dust. All fans, vents, pcb's, heatsinks. Removing dust not only increases thermal efficency, but quiets down the system as well.

8) If you have spare parts available, try them. A spare psu and video card can shave hours off of troubleshooting time.

Its most likely just something loose. Did you move the computer recently? Follow all of the above and it should solve your problem.

Yup its gonna take some time. Welcome to computer troubleshooting.

blendertrout
01-07-2004, 10:54 PM
I have checked all connections stripped it down to essentials and and pluged in evreything multiple times, blown the thing out with air from evrey angle and checked evrey slot for obstruction, removed heat sinks checked for cracks burnmarks and shorts. I also installed a new powersuply to see if it was a voltage issue...

I returned from vacation to find it this way so there shouldn't have been any human involvement in it's current state... I can't check any BIOS settings, I have no VGA signal... so unless someone hapens to know teh beep signal I think I'm pretty close to canning this damn thing and selling my kidney to buy a new motherboard...

Please save my kidney... Someone?

GregHess
01-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Well I do believe the beep code is for bad or missing cpu. =/

There are three main beep codes.

1) Bad, missing, misaligned, or destroyed cpu.
2) Bad, missing, misaligned, or destroyed ram.
3) Bad, missing, misaligned, or destroyed video.

Other beeps codes tend to be...

1) Wrong power connector.
2) Wrong voltage.
3) Wrong cpu speed.
4) Bad, missing (tee hee), misaligned or destroyed motherboard.

Try reseting the cmos. =/

schmu_20mol
01-08-2004, 08:41 AM
ok ... i got an Asus-A7V but anyway...

One long beep followed by three short beeps ......Video card not found or video card memory bad

High frequency beeps when system is working .... CPU overheated; System runnin at a lower frequency

Long beeps in endless loop... No DRAM installed or detected

if you're 'lucky' then this are the same codes so you know what's up

Srek
01-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by blendertrout
Well, I have a box that is acting totaly dead... No VGA signal and no BIOS booting.

I have Phoenix BIOS and the board is an Abit NF7-M.
(onboard G-force4, onboard sound, 2 sticks 512 PC 3200)

All I get is the BIOS beep code which is 1 long beep a verry short pause 3 quick beeps a 2 second pause and then a unending series of high toned beeps in rapid sucession. I ( can't find any info on this last high-toned series of beeps...) Maybe doesn't mater if I just interperate the first set.. (teh 1 long and 3 short it seems I just have to take this board to the curb anyway) But I'm hoping it is VGA error of some kind and fixable. Any help out there? I really don't want to have to replace this Motherboard this computer is my life and and as an art student I have no money to replace it. :hmm:

Hi,
usualy the Phoenix code is different. The nearest one is 1 Beep, Pause, 3 Beeps which indicates a general BIOS problem (low C-MOS Battery, faulty flashing etc.)
For AMI or Award BIOS 1 Long Beep and 3 short Beeps indicate a general Graphic card problem.
If you have access to a POST card the following codes might help a bit more: http://www.firmware.com/support/oldbios/1002.htm

Hope this helps

Srek

Gazortus
01-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by schmu_20mol
ok ... i got an Asus-A7V but anyway...

Doing a google search on POST beep codes for your bios type, such as amibios or Phoenix should help.

I lost an athlon system the other day, with an A7V board, the board and everything else posted fine and still worked but the CPU was cracked/chipped.

The board sounded like a paris police siren. :)

blendertrout
01-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Gazortus
I lost an athlon system the other day, with an A7V board, the board and everything else posted fine and still worked but the CPU was cracked/chipped.

The board sounded like a paris police siren. :) [/B]

lol... yep that's what it sounds like now... i'm getting that signal now (yep it changed) and I have a little brown "blister" on the back of the chip. So it's an easy guess now to say the CPU burn't up... too bad really, I had a decent fan on there and all with teh artic silverstill speard lightly across teh top too, i guess the Chip just wasn't up for all thoes late night renders.... I suspect CPU suicide.

Thanks to evreyone for the great help! I guess I've just gotta scrape a few bucks together for some new hardware... (sigh) oh well, at least my work is all backed up and safely stores away. I mean it could be worse right?. thanks again!

-Blendertrout

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.