PDA

View Full Version : Zoom in/out with spacebar?

Levitateme
01-07-2004, 09:00 AM
in photoshp i can Space+LMB to zoom in and Alt+Space LMB to zoom out. painter 8 is zooming in, but i dont know how to make it zoom out with space bar is that not possbile? cause it zooms in fine with it. anyhelp would be great.

Munk
01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
The Space bar brings up the grabber tool, press the Alt/Option key to zoom out and press the mouse key to zoom in. The Quick Reference keyboard shortcuts are wrong.

The card reads "Zoom in Spacebar+Ctrl+click", or Zoom out "Spacebar+Ctrl+Alt".

Munk

Jinbrown
01-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi,

Here are a few ways to control zoom in Painter 8:

Click the M key to activate the Magnifier tool, then click in the image to zoom in.

Click in the image and hold to continuously zoom in.

Hold down the Alt key and click in the image to zoom out.

Hold down the Alt key, the click in the image and hold to continuously zoom out.

OR....

Hold down the Ctrl/Command key and click the plus key to zoom in or click the minus key to zoom out.

OR...

Use the Scale slider at the bottom left corner of the image window to adjust the zoom in or out.

OR...

Type the zoom percent into the box just to the right of the Scale slider.

OR...

In the Property Bar, with the Magnifier tool selected (M key), choose the zoom percent from the drop down list.

OR...

In the Property Bar, click Actual Pixels, Fit On Screen, or Center Image.

AND....

Double click the Magnifier tool to return to 100% zoom.

MasonDoran
01-08-2004, 09:07 AM
i would like to post some not so obvious things that i discovered along the way to learning the painter UI...

space naturally pans........

space + alt will rotate image

space + LMB click will center image -this i find really annoying because when i am zoomed in really close and i want to rotate or pan....i often center image by accident...

cant wait till i can fix some of these redundant hotkeys....like another annoying one is "n" which is right next to the brush hotkey which i also commonly hit by mistake....and the fact that making straight lines using "v" seems to be another redundancy...

alas....this is my photoshop conditionings coming out

Jinbrown
01-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 2byts
i would like to post some not so obvious things that i discovered along the way to learning the painter UI...

space naturally pans........

Hitting the Space bar only activates the Grabber tool (as does clicking the G key).

If we then click in the image and drag, we can move the image anywhere in the image window.

space + alt will rotate image

Hitting Space+Alt only activates the Rotate Page tool (as does clicking the E key).

If we then click and drag we can temporarily rotate the entire image to any angle for ease while drawing and painting. We can return the image to its normal, upright position, by clicking in the image with the Rotate Page tool still active.

space + LMB click will center image -this i find really annoying because when i am zoomed in really close and i want to rotate or pan....i often center image by accident...

You've either caught me when I'm too tired to think or you're using terminology not found in Painter.

What, pray tell, is "LMB"?

In Painter:

Clicking the L key activates the Lasso tool,

Clicking the M key activates the Magnifier tool, and

Clicking the B key activates the Brush tool (for freehand painting).

So, if you hit the Space bar, then click LMB you rotate through the above three tools, Lasso, Magnifier, then Brush tool.

cant wait till i can fix some of these redundant hotkeys....like another annoying one is "n" which is right next to the brush hotkey which i also commonly hit by mistake....and the fact that making straight lines using "v" seems to be another redundancy...

alas....this is my photoshop conditionings coming out

Yes, methinks it's your Photoshop habits that you're expecting to use in Painter. It'll be a lot easier if you can accept that Painter is a unique program, concieved and developed by different people for different purposes. While there are some similarities, it is not, and hopefully will never be the same as Photoshop. Nor would I want Photoshop to be the same as Painter. As is said way too often (becomes boring to hear it again, but it's true nonetheless)....

Each of these two programs has its strengths and each should be thought of and used for what it does best.

Once you learn how many ways things can be done in Painter and become comfortable switching from one method to another, I think you'll be glad to have that flexibility.

Still very curious about what you mean by "LMB"! :D

MasonDoran
01-08-2004, 12:45 PM
LMB comes from 3d terminology for Left Mouse Button

Painter definately has its own workflow which i am still learning...its just a matter of speed and not having to use dialog boxs or popup windows to get what u want.

here is the following image i just finished couple days ago while learning painter 8....i know there are some spots that need to be reworked....but thats a time issue.

vision (http://www.vrspace.org/~mason/Paintings/visionSmall.jpg)

JesseDavis
05-01-2005, 09:42 PM

ha I was all excited about an answer for this in jinbrown's post but then he tricked me by not knowing what LMB was. does anyone have an answer for this question please? It really is annoying. (Painter 9)

Jinbrown
05-02-2005, 12:53 AM
ha I was all excited about an answer for this in jinbrown's post but then he tricked me by not knowing what LMB was. does anyone have an answer for this question please? It really is annoying. (Painter 9)

"He" didn't trick you at all. ;)

First, I'm not a "he". Jin is just a shorter version of my nickname, Jinny.

Second, not knowing what LMB meant wasn't a trick, obviously. (Thanks, 2byts, for telling me what it means in 3D terminology.)

Since I can only guess what your question is, I'll guess you want to know how to avoid accidentally centering the image.

The answer, whether you're using the Grabber tool or the Rotate Page tool is to place your cursor in the image, hold, and drag.

Using the Grabber tool, only click when you want to center the image in the image window.

Using the Rotate Page tool, only click when you want to return the image to its normal, upright position.

Pretty simple, eh? No special tricks, just pay attention.

Jinbrown
05-02-2005, 01:00 AM
The Space bar brings up the grabber tool, press the Alt/Option key to zoom out and press the mouse key to zoom in. The Quick Reference keyboard shortcuts are wrong.

The card reads "Zoom in Spacebar+Ctrl+click", or Zoom out "Spacebar+Ctrl+Alt".

Munk

Munk,

The card is right, at least for Painter IX which is the only version I checked, except (per your quote above) "click" was omitted for the Zoom out keyboard shortcut.

Space+Ctrl+Click to Zoom in

Space+Ctrl+Alt+Click to Zoom out

JesseDavis
05-02-2005, 01:48 AM
Actually Jin, it's when I'm using the brush tool that it's the most annoying. I read your post a couple times and I think you are missunderstanding what I was asking. SO here is the real "question."

When using the brush tool, I am zoomed in quite far to do detail work. I typically work by panning around the image (by holding the space bar, and thus using the grabber tool). However since I'm doing many strokes and press the space bar to pan in between the strokes, it will center the image because I accidently tapped the pad instead of holding down for a longer stroke. Therefore, I am wondering how to disable the "Spacebar + LMB tap = center image" ability.

Sorry for confusion,

-Jesse

Jinbrown
05-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Jesse,

I'm pretty sure I understood your problem, since what you explain now is what I thought originally.

I don't know of a way to disable the click-with-the-Grabber-tool-to-center-the-image function, so my previous answer is the best I can offer.

Just learn to be careful not to click unless you want the image centered.

If anyone knows of another solution, I'll be happy to learn about it.

Good luck,

JesseDavis
05-02-2005, 11:21 PM
okie thx for trying anyways :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2005, 11:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.